Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Serella posted:

If someone asks you at a dog park which dog (or which child at a playground) is yours, just say he died recently but you like coming here to watch all the others play. Conversation over.

Are you kidding? That's just an invitation for them to open up about how they lost poor fluffums last year and never really got over it even though they have Floofy-woof now and you should definitely go to this rescue and avoid this person and oh man THAT breed is a handful and not to be rude but THOSE people don't know what they are doing.

I mean, possibly. Your dog park might not be full of psychos like mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Ugh human interaction, what a bunch of psychos.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

thatbastardken posted:

Ugh human interaction, what a bunch of psychos.

I know, right? Can't I just sit alone in the dogpark creeping on other people's pets in peace? It's a free country, man.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Are you kidding? That's just an invitation for them to open up about how they lost poor fluffums last year and never really got over it even though they have Floofy-woof now and you should definitely go to this rescue and avoid this person and oh man THAT breed is a handful and not to be rude but THOSE people don't know what they are doing.

I mean, possibly. Your dog park might not be full of psychos like mine.

This is the same person who will make a show of gathering up their dogs and leaving in a huff while shooting nasty looks to everyone if something even resembling a pit bull comes near the park.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Ah yes, my well trained herding dog on a leash is bound to be at fault when your off leash yappy little toy dog charges over, snaps at his ankles and gets a canine 'gently caress off', either verbally or by being held down.

And by all means come over, scoop the little bastard up and strop off complaining that 'dogs like that' shouldn't be allowed in public.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
So we're all here just chillin at the dog park and these ppl come in with a lil chuckit ball and they're all flummoxed that -surprise- other dogs are gonna play with your toys too and were all like lol and now Susie's humping Tater again the end.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
As for sitting in a dog park I would just respond I'm scouting out the type of dog I'd want in the future? Rather watch how different dogs interact at park than in a high stress shelter.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

cheese eats mouse posted:

As for sitting in a dog park I would just respond I'm scouting out the type of dog I'd want in the future? Rather watch how different dogs interact at park than in a high stress shelter.

I would be careful with this one because some people might think you're planning to steal their dog. Ridiculous, but very possible. When I bumped into dogs i knew from work at Petsmart and started with "omg Hi <dogname!>" the owners would often pull their dog closer while eying me suspiciously. No. I am not stalking/planning to steal your dog. Chill out.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Eegah posted:

So we're all here just chillin at the dog park and these ppl come in with a lil chuckit ball and they're all flummoxed that -surprise- other dogs are gonna play with your toys too and were all like lol and now Susie's humping Tater again the end.

I've had people take my ball from my dog and start throwing it for their dog. I don't mind group games of fetch or if another dog grabs my dog's ball if he's not quick enough to get it, but when people take it from him to give to their own dog I'm like WTF.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I've had people take my ball from my dog and start throwing it for their dog. I don't mind group games of fetch or if another dog grabs my dog's ball if he's not quick enough to get it, but when people take it from him to give to their own dog I'm like WTF.

I always carry extra balls (for other dogs, or if one goes someplace I don't want to grab it from ~poopies~). I would start throwing them at that person without a second thought.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
gently caress it, go whole hog

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Proof that my dog with very occasionally frolic with others. Very, very occasionally.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

just da posted:

Since this is about etiquette at the dog park, I'm about to move into an apartment that's about a mile from an off leash dog park. We don't plan on getting a dog for probably at least a year but I'm a huge fan of dogs and I'm going to miss the three goofy guys that I'm friends with here. Would it be too weird if I went to the park just to sit there on a bench and hope that a dog came over to say hi? I wouldn't take food or treats in with me, just my drink (hey, it's Arkansas, it's going to be hot!) and a heart that just really loves dogs.

Unlike how others are saying, I don't think you need to make an excuse. If someone asks, just tell them you don't have a dog yet but you like coming here to pet/play with other dogs. Before we got our dog we used to go to the dog park from time to time, and even went to a shiba meet up because 1) my boyfriend had never met a shiba and I wanted him to see what they were like(aka fall in love with them :kimchi:), and 2) get names for breeders for ones that I liked the look of. No one was ever weird about it and I've never met a golden that doesn't appreciate another set of hands for bum scratchin'

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Sometimes assholes will even steal dog toys :( We got a really cool Chuck-It Flying Squirrel from forums user Siochain and someone walked off with it when they left with their nice black lab. No one else had a flying squirrel, they knew exactly what they were doing :smith:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Forgive me, but I don't really see the logic of bringing awesome, expensive toys to a dog park. Unless you're really familiar with everyone there, why not just bring a cheap tin of tennis balls?

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

kinmik posted:

Forgive me, but I don't really see the logic of bringing awesome, expensive toys to a dog park. Unless you're really familiar with everyone there, why not just bring a cheap tin of tennis balls?

Since I don't have the luxury of owning my own compound with a field in it, the reason I take awesome expensive toys--like a Kong flexible frisbee--to the dog park is, that's really the only place I have enough room to throw it for him. Oh, yeah, the regular park, maybe, with him on the 30-foot leash, but that hasn't worked out real well. I am conscious of the fact that I could lose this toy. But the reason I stopped bringing them was when I realized it might start a fight. (Dog fight, person fight, whatever.)

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

kinmik posted:

Half the time there are no dogs. Its otherwise a wasted outing because my dogs will then just slowly walk around sniffing pee spots, but I take them to the dog park so they can get tired out.

I don't use cheap tennis balls as per my vet. We use expensive $4-5 chuck-it balls :)

The toy wasn't expensive, I can easily replace it. Its just something to be aware of. Plus it was a PISS gift so its extra tragic to me that some jerk stole it :(

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Unattended children at the dog park is stupid and the parents' risk and responsibility imho. I will take full responsibility if my dog is on a leash however if your 3 year-old runs up and yanks on her ears, then all bets are off. She's a sweet-mannered and aggression-averse dog however, when she's on full-recess-mode it's not my problem if you get in her way unless she blind-sides you and blows out your knee or something (happened at the dog park I go to regularly, last year.)

I've also seen dog owners get into fights, once two women got into a spraying/tugging fight with the dog-water hose and one of them broke a finger. One of them then called the cops and the officer showed up and basically said, "is your dog fully licensed? shots? etc? okay, I'll start this 'assault' investigation if you're willing to eat the $400+ of tickets since your dog isn't fully up on its paperwork." Both people dropped the entire issue rapidly at that point. I've also heard stories of random weird dudes pulling guns when their ill-behaved dogs got into poo poo, but despite the people I heard it from seeming to be normal and trustworthy people, who knows how many levels of "telephone" that gossip got through before I heard it..

My dog only likes to chase and play tug mostly, so sometimes she comes in too strongly for other dogs, the time she got her ribs slashed by a beagle, she ran up while he was fetching a tennis ball (she loves chasing fetch-dogs) and he just dropped the ball and swiped at her, and then ran off before anybody realized anything had happened. The guy with the dog had actually left eh park by the time I noticed she had a gash on her side.. :(

I've seen people throw down the picnic blanket on the dog-poo poo though, that always makes me somewhat aghast. I've also seen a lot of people with toddlers and kids in strollers eating ice cream, candy, etc, and mostly it seems that people have enough sense to either call their dog off, or understand that toddler with ice cream cone in dog park = crying fit when the poo poo hits the ground and dog steals it. I'll totally bring a sandwich into the dog park myself, but I'm familiar with most of the dogs and confident that I can keep the rest away from me. If someone's dog wants to beg from me for 10 minutes that's not my problem, though. Sometimes I'm just fuckin' hungry and on a short lunch. :(

Dog parks are super cliquey, it's kind of annoying once you go often enough and then one day you just want some peace and quiet and instead people keep coming up and dishing on the latest dirt at you, even if you don't care.

Some people go to the dog park every day and their dog is simply ill-behaved. I've noticed that these type of dogs have names like "Chaos", "Loki", or "Rowdy." I feel that it's largely the owners' fault at that point, but I've certainly seen several "Loki" named dogs which were just completely out of control.

My favorite anecdote of awful dog park etiquette was the skinny 60-ish man in short jogging shorts who came in with a young chocolate lab, the dog had on a bandana, a collar, a choke collar, a ying-yang symbol, its license,a dog-bone-shaped name-tag, and one of those bone-shaped poop-ag dispensers.. The dog sounded like a maraca every time it took a step, but it was a 90-100 lb lab.. The owner took off the dog's leash (but nothing else) and then turned fully away form his dog while he hit on some older hippy lady. His choco lab runs over to my 45 lb boxer mix, and just humped the poo poo out of her. I ended up going over and pulling the dog off her by its collar (way sketchy, it was a big dog) twice before my little dog was pretty much just huddled on the ground shivering in panic at being face-hosed, and when I went over to the old guy and asked him to watch/control his dog and pointed to the "no aggressive dogs allowed" sign, he got all in my poo poo because his dog was just a rambunctious 11-month-old pup, then he shouted at me, "I DON'T NEED YOU BRINGING YOUR NEGATIVITY INTO MY DAY!!!" and stormed off.

People at dog parks are weird. The dogs are mostly okay and take care of themselves, even when and if they get into fights and poo poo.

cheese eats mouse posted:

I think that is a totally cool and valid reason to go to a dog park.

I do not believe that someone needs to justify themselves being inside the leash-free dog park area without a dog unless they're already acting bizarrely and/or suspiciously.

That said, I have had a couple of occasions where (usually young, with the wife/gf pregnant) I was chatted up by couples who were sort of "window-shopping" for dogs. They mostly end up asking how much my dog costs, and when I respond that she is a rescue and the re-homing fee was like 200-300 bucks, they will go, "oh. That's too much," and move on.

I've also had a few people roll up and offer money to breed or buy a puppy off of my dog "when she has her next litter" despite her being a rescue. I guess since her belly looks like she nursed a litter at some point, people assume that I'm throwing pups around like party favors.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 4, 2014

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

coyo7e posted:

Dog parks are super cliquey

THIS

I am not a regular and sometimes its really uncomfortable when there is a group talking, so you wander over and stand nearby and smile vaguely at them but no one even looks over. gently caress you guys fine I'll go play with my dog then!!

If people ignore you just don't give a poo poo and help your dog have fun :)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It might take a while but you can break into the clique -- eventually someone will at least ask what kind of dog you have and start a conversation that way.

Around my part at least it's mostly the same folks and dogs every night, all of whom are at least dog lovers by definition and thus have something in common so yeah it's natural to become somewhat of a social circle.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I had someone get super pissy at me for telling them to take the prong collar off their dog while they were in the park. Like, angry; till I explained that hey, the prongs can get caught in the fence, or on another dog's teeth if they're wrestling around and good luck trying to pull them free. There aren't a million rules at the park, but they're all there for a reason.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My two dogs go ape poo poo over the chuck it and tennis balls. If they steal one though, I'll have them drop it and walk it back to the owner. Do other people seriously not do this?

Here's Leia and Luke

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Rhymes With Clue posted:

Since I don't have the luxury of owning my own compound with a field in it, the reason I take awesome expensive toys--like a Kong flexible frisbee--to the dog park is, that's really the only place I have enough room to throw it for him. Oh, yeah, the regular park, maybe, with him on the 30-foot leash, but that hasn't worked out real well. I am conscious of the fact that I could lose this toy. But the reason I stopped bringing them was when I realized it might start a fight. (Dog fight, person fight, whatever.)

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Half the time there are no dogs. Its otherwise a wasted outing because my dogs will then just slowly walk around sniffing pee spots, but I take them to the dog park so they can get tired out.

I don't use cheap tennis balls as per my vet. We use expensive $4-5 chuck-it balls :)

The toy wasn't expensive, I can easily replace it. Its just something to be aware of. Plus it was a PISS gift so its extra tragic to me that some jerk stole it :(
Thanks for answering; they do make sense.

I've not been to a dog park since I was a small kid. Even then, it wasn't with our own dog, or even any dog. It was next to the local humane society and newly built, so not that many people were there. I don't remember anything except that I had a blast with the two dogs that were there, and that their owners didn't care that some strange little poo poo was having fun with them. Thanks, awesome unknown dog owners. :unsmith:

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

This seems as good a place to ask as any, but what about barking? I have a high strung rat terrier who actually manages to control himself at home but at the dog park all bets are off. He reaches a point where he barks and won't stop after enough stimulation. At this point we do leave but people give us all kinds of nasty looks as we gather him up to go. I thought it's normal for dogs to bark at a dog park?

Last time I was pissed because a preteen kept barking in his face which was clearly upsetting him, eventually her parents told her to stop but wtf? Then, this guy came in with a dog that play nips which terrified my dog. My dog did a running leap into my husbands arms. The nipping dog kept jumping up and trying to nip my dog while my dog was getting more and more aggressive in body language and vocalizations. The whole time the nipping dogs owner just silently stared creepily at us. I had to shoo his dog away. We haven't been back since.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

With the barking it really depends on who else is at the park and how sensitive they are. My dog starts barking at me if I take more than .5 seconds to throw his ball after he brings it back. Sometimes I get nasty looks from people, sometimes I don't. I draw the line at barking at me vs. barking at other dogs, he can bark at me all he wants and I don't care but he's not allowed to bark at other dogs because even though I know that he's harmless and just likes to yell at other dogs other people don't and might think he's being aggressive and gearing up for an attack.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The city council announces the opening of a new dog park at the corner of Earl and Summerset near the Ralph’s. They would like to remind everyone that dogs are not allowed in the dog park. People are not allowed in the dog park. It is possible you will see hooded figures in the dog park. Do not approach them. Do not approach the dog park. The fence is electrified and highly dangerous. Try not to look at the dog park, and especially do not look for any period of time at the hooded figures. The dog park will not harm you.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dominoes posted:

The city council announces the opening of a new dog park at the corner of Earl and Summerset near the Ralph’s. They would like to remind everyone that dogs are not allowed in the dog park. People are not allowed in the dog park. It is possible you will see hooded figures in the dog park. Do not approach them. Do not approach the dog park. The fence is electrified and highly dangerous. Try not to look at the dog park, and especially do not look for any period of time at the hooded figures. The dog park will not harm you.

The leash laws in the sand wastes are ridiculous.

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

I was at the dog park today and this trio of American Eskimos kept bullying Nemo around. Like mouthing and nipping at him. I figure they were just play nips but Nemo would yelp each time it happened and the dogs didn't seem to care. They were probably 20-25lbs and Nemo is 6lbs so I feel like they could definitely hurt him even if they were just playing.

Am I supposed to leave when this happens or like ask the owner of those dogs to go to the big dog side or what? I ended up just going home and giving Nemo a bath to get all the dog drool off him. Going to the dog park is supposed to be fun. :(

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Well 25lbs is pretty squarely in small-dog-park territory 'round my parts. Obviously I haven't really been in that situation too much since Tater enjoys getting the poo poo beat out of him but if the owner isn't gonna get the hint that your dog isn't enjoying it there's probably not much you can do but wait it out or find another section of the park if possible. Some dog park days just aren't all that great :/

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Muscular Typist posted:

I was at the dog park today and this trio of American Eskimos kept bullying Nemo around. Like mouthing and nipping at him. I figure they were just play nips but Nemo would yelp each time it happened and the dogs didn't seem to care. They were probably 20-25lbs and Nemo is 6lbs so I feel like they could definitely hurt him even if they were just playing.

Am I supposed to leave when this happens or like ask the owner of those dogs to go to the big dog side or what? I ended up just going home and giving Nemo a bath to get all the dog drool off him. Going to the dog park is supposed to be fun. :(

If you're feeling confident, tell the owners that you're not comfortable with how their dog is interacting with yours. I think it would be a bitch move to ask them to leave though. You can only be in charge of your own dog and your own actions. So, if things aren't going the way you would like them to, move or leave.

Next time try not to stand around at a dog park. Walking keeps dogs moving, keeps them more focused on their environment and less inclined to work their boredom and frustration off with other dogs.

SchrodingersFish
Mar 9, 2012
What's the etiquette for off-leash dog areas that are also open to the public? I don't own a dog myself, but I was hiking along a public beach yesterday that was leash-optional after a certain point. I was bit by one dog, and barked at menacingly by another, and the dog owners kind of had this "well my dog's off leash so I can't do anything about it" kind of attitude. Again, this was not a dog park or a "Dog beach", but rather a public beach with amazing views that many non-dog owners hike along.

The first incident happened when my husband, brother and I were just walking down the beach and this couple with 4 off leash dogs was approaching us from the other direction. Their dogs were very bouncy and excited, and they called out "Don't worry, they're friendly!" at us. So I smiled and continued on, they were cute dogs. As we were passing, the fat little Chihuahua mix jumped up and bit my finger. Granted, I kind of put my hand out and I probably shouldn't have, but still. Thankfully it wasn't a serious bite, she only got me with one tooth and it wasn't too deep. The owners were apologetic, but they were like "Oh, did she bite you? Sorry! She gets excited sometimes", like that was excuse for biting a stranger, as if it happens all the time. I didn't press them for their name because the bite wasn't serious, but it seemed like they weren't all that concerned once they found out it didn't need medical attention (although I guess I did say "It's ok, I'm ok"), and didn't make any attempt to discourage their dog from the behavior (although I guess maybe if they did the dog wouldn't get the association?) and went along their merry way.

We encountered the second dog, a large poodle when almost back at the parking lot. The tide had come in considerably, so there was only a narrow stretch of beach to walk on. My husband and brother were a bit ahead of me, and when I got close to the dog she started barking aggressively at me. Of course, the owners immediately call out "She's friendly!". Usually barking dogs don't phase me, but having just been bit by a tiny Chihuahua who's owners said the same thing, I kind of froze. The owners just kept strolling along (their dog had run ahead) and said "Sorry!" but didn't attempt to call their dog off or anything. Granted, this one was probably harmless, but it was a slightly frightening experience.

I guess what I'm wondering is if I did anything wrong there. As I mentioned, the owners seemed to act like this kind of dog behavior was to be expected when you're in a dog leash optional area, even if that fact isn't clearly labeled to those without dogs (I only noticed when I was back at the parking lot and saw a small sign). Should I be more wary of off leash areas on the future? Is it common knowledge that non-dog owners should enter off leash areas at their own risk? What's the best way to approach a strange, potentially aggressive off-leash dog?

SchrodingersFish fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 14, 2014

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Dogs need to be under voice control at all times when off leash. If the owners can't do anything about their dog's behaviour while off leash then they shouldn't be off leash.

I don't think it's a good idea to try to interact with any strange dog, ever. So, I would say that your mistake was trying to reach out and interact with the chihuahua. Even good dogs can and will bite if they're pushed too far so I don't make a habit of interacting with them at all unless I'm very confident that the dog is relaxed, happy and actively looking to engage with me. I don't care if the owner says the dog is friendly or not. Dog owners are often oblivious, as you found.

Owners don't take small dogs seriously when it comes to biting. They can absolutely break skin and cause some pretty serious damage. They should have been mortified that their dog reacted like that. Their disbelief and defensiveness is understandable but the crux of the matter is that their dog bit you and they need to thank their lucky stars that it didn't do much damage and that you're being kind enough not to press charges. You say that they didn't do anything to discourage the behaviour -- honestly there's not much that they can do aside from leash the dog up at this point. Retroactive punishment may seem satisfying but it does just about zilch to actually address the issue.

The larger barking dog seems like less of an issue to me. I know barking dogs can be intimidating. If I were in that situation I likely would have done my best to move off to the side and not acknowledge the dog's existence. Don't look at it, talk to it, etc. If the dog was seriously making you uneasy you could have called to the owners to call their dog. If it was my dog who was barking I would have called it back to me and apologized to the stranger as I passed too.

Basically, for non-dog people in off leash areas, ignore the dogs as best you can. If you can't, ask the owners to call the dogs away. Don't look at them, don't try to pet them, don't try to talk to them.

a life less fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 14, 2014

SchrodingersFish
Mar 9, 2012
Thanks for the great advice, this is extremely helpful. I was angry at first, but then realized I may have done something wrong by putting my hand out and half trying to interact with the dog. I've always wondered what the best way to act was around any strange dog, not being a dog owner myself (despite loving dogs, my husband is allergic).

Thanks also for the reassurance that off leash dogs should be under voice control, I was concerned that I was in the wrong for expecting something like this or afraid there was some unwritten rule that off leash non dog park public areas belong to the dogs always and I should have kept a better watch for signs and not been there at all (although of course I know that dogs get excited and not all people are responsible owners.)

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.
I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way not to reach out to dogs but I would have done the same thing if the owner called out that their dog was friendly as it approached me.

At dog parks with client dogs, I off leash the ones I know are comfortable there but I don't let them run up to people; I don't think other owners should either. I keep them walking and if I was in a public place like you described, I would keep my dogs near because I've noticed that even if a border collie x approaches some people, just to walk past them, they flinch away which can trigger a response in some dogs. I can't tell everyone not to flinch so I keep the dog close enough that if they do, I can either grab them or the dog won't notice because I'm calling their name with a treat in my hand.

For your own knowledge; if a dog comes bouncing up to you, just turn away on the spot and brace. Don't put out your hands or raise your arms. That way the dog can't grab at hands by accident or on purpose and you're less likely to be knocked over. Then do say to the owner; 'If you can't stop your dog from jumping on total strangers, you shouldn't let it off the leash.'

Feel free to throw in a 'you loving moron,' if you feel so inclined. You have the right to feel safe in that shared space too.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Just chicken inn to say that dog parks rule and all them doggies be waggin they tails to go

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Had a Good Kid at the dog park today - one of the regulars, his dad is a goony type and their dog is a daft mastiff puppy. The kid is well drilled in dog manners, but had his face at the wrong height when a dog avalanche (lead by Suzy, I'll admit) came through and a dog skull hit his face at top speed. Attending ER nurse reckons possible hairline fracture of the cheek. Kid didn't cry, lose his cool or even fall over. Didn't even want to go home and get some ice on it. Just went back to gently playing with dogs in an appropriate fashion.

A Good Kid.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^^ Spent a couple weekends recently at my aunt's house with her, her husband, their big intact male boxer, and their 3 year-old.. Along with my 4 year-old female boxer mix, AND a 10-week old puppy!

It was an educational experience for the baby, learning to not get his face near a strange dog.. And VERY difficult because the novelty of a strange dog was almost unbearable to the point where he'd break down and throw a tantrum over it now and then.

Vintimus Prime posted:

My two dogs go ape poo poo over the chuck it and tennis balls. If they steal one though, I'll have them drop it and walk it back to the owner. Do other people seriously not do this?

SchrodingersFish posted:

I was bit by one dog, and barked at menacingly by another, and the dog owners kind of had this "well my dog's off leash so I can't do anything about it" kind of attitude. Again, this was not a dog park or a "Dog beach", but rather a public beach with amazing views that many non-dog owners hike along.
It's not uncommon for some dogs to be voracious ball-thieves and a lot of owners will take the "shrug and laugh it off" approach, which can really be a problem if you, say, are on your work lunch break and have to be back on a schedule, rather than chasing some asshat's ill-trained dog around a 5-acre dog park.. I know some dogs who will commonly end up with 2-4 tennis balls in their mouth when they go to the park, and it's inevitable that some of those balls belong to other people/dogs. The only issue is really when the dog is out of the owner's control and turns it into a game of keep-away from everybody, as Schrodingers' post mentions.

It mainly comes down to having the animal in control. If your dog gets its hackles up and barks at a stranger menacingly that's one thing (I've personally had some dogs which I've spent scores of hours around at the park, do teh same thing randomly one day and be fine the next), but if it bites me I'd call the damned cops/AC right there and not allow them to leave until it was mutually sorted out, doctor bills and inoculations for people OR dogs are expensive. For similar reasons if I've got to be back at work and in a meeting in 15 minutes, I will sure as poo poo call you out for your dog being badly-behaved, if you can't/won't get back my property.

Then again, I don't bring toys I care about to the park, for similar reasoning.. ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 30, 2014

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

Then again, I don't bring toys I care about to the park, for similar reasoning.. ;)

This is pretty much what it boils down to. I figure anything we bring will become community property (and my mutt is a little thief himself), but tuggin' ropes are 99 cents at Target and Tater loves to tug, especially with other dogs.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I don't really care if another dog steals my dog's ball, if my dog really wants it back he'll go get it himself and if it gets lost oh well I'll go spend a dollar on a new one. We don't really go to the dog park much anymore since we have a decently sized yard now and my one dog turns into a barky rear end in a top hat around other dogs.

I get pissed off when other people steal my dog's ball and give it to their dogs, which I'm pretty sure I posted about earlier in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
We have nice balls (chuck it, kong) that we play with at home or in our nearby (in apartment complex) dog park.

When we go to a public dog park, we bring a half dozen regular old tennis balls ($2/6? or something like that) and usually come back with 0. So, Nth'ing that.

• Locked thread