Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

tk posted:

I saw what looked to be a decent number of LA fans in the northern most 200 level section on the east sideline. Didn't see any drums or signs, but I think that's where they normally put supporters unless there are enough to put them in the 300s.

Yeah, ended up spotting them eventually. I'm on the opposite side, and it was hard to see them, especially because I thought they'd be in the upper part of that section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Which way to the off-season thread?

- a timbers fan

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
FC Dallas looked so bad yesterday.

The thing is that if we had to play Portland again, I think FCD would have likely lost again. Seems like the Timbers present a lot more challenges than Vancouver, not that the Whitecaps are going to be a walk in the park or whatever.

I think its a 50/50 shot for FCD to advance on Wednesday. Whoever scores first?

By the way, why was Caleb Porter so drat sweaty after halftime?

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

highme posted:

I thought the Supporter's Shield was designed by one of the TA merch crew guys a couple of years ago when the ISC was founded?

The dinner plate, yes, but the Pontiac hood ornament in the center is the old one.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Hoover Dam posted:

The dinner plate, yes, but the Pontiac hood ornament in the center is the old one.

Was about to post something snarky about trophies only existing in MLS once they added pac NW teams :-)

I for one miss the old ghetto looking Star Trek trophy. It looked like foam covered in tin foil!

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

RocketLunatic posted:

The thing is that if we had to play Portland again, I think FCD would have likely lost again. Seems like the Timbers present a lot more challenges than Vancouver, not that the Whitecaps are going to be a walk in the park or whatever.

I think its a 50/50 shot for FCD to advance on Wednesday. Whoever scores first?

By the way, why was Caleb Porter so drat sweaty after halftime?

because it was like, 80 degrees and humid as gently caress

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

RocketLunatic posted:

There were several moments in the first half where FCD couldn't complete a single pass, and then Portland would get the ball back and just dissect the entire FCD team with ten or twelve short, precise passes right between defenders. Then FCD would get the ball back, look utterly bewildered, pass the ball around the defense and then right to a Portland player. It got better eventually, but sometimes you watch about ten minutes of a game and you just know how it's going to end. That was one of them.

I have a personal proverb: whenever you catch yourself crossing your fingers and thinking "Maybe we can get something out of this if we can just hold on until the end," look at the clock. If there are fewer than 15 minutes left, you're probably okay. If there are more than 15 minutes left, your team is boned. I had that moment sometime around the 25th minute yesterday.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

After today's game with the Union, I think I've decided that Le Toux is my least favorite player in any sport that I have ever watched, ever.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Emron posted:

After today's game with the Union, I think I've decided that Le Toux is my least favorite player in any sport that I have ever watched, ever.

Have you met my man (trigger warning) Lionard Pajoy

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Or Steven Lenhart. Or coach Eric Wynalda. Or soccer mogul Alexi Lalas.

I'm going to stop before adding more names to the incantation summons the four horsemen of the soccalypse.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Emron posted:

Please don't day bad things about the best Union player ever tia

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Here we go: http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/schedule-2014-mls-cup-playoffs-presented-att-announced

quote:

Below is the MLS Cup Playoffs schedule with live national television broadcasts (subject to change).

Knockout Round
(Home teams listed first):
FC Dallas vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC – Wed., Oct. 29, 9:00 p.m. ET (TSN1, MLS Live, MLS Direct Kick)
New York Red Bulls vs. Sporting Kansas City – Thurs., Oct. 30, 8:00 p.m. ET (ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, TSN2)

Eastern Conference Semifinals
First Leg (Home teams listed first):
Columbus Crew vs. New England Revolution – Sat., Nov. 1, 4:00 p.m. ET (UDN, MLS Live, MLS Direct Kick)
New York Red Bulls or Sporting Kansas City vs. D.C. United – Sun., Nov. 2, 4:00 p.m. ET (UDN, MLS Live, MLS Direct Kick)

Second Leg (Home teams listed first):
D.C. United vs. New York Red Bulls or Sporting Kansas City – Sat., Nov. 8, 2:30 p.m. ET (NBC)
New England Revolution vs. Columbus Crew – Sun., Nov. 9, 5:00 p.m. ET (ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, TSN2)

Western Conference Semifinals
First Leg (Home teams listed first):
Real Salt Lake vs. LA Galaxy – Sat., Nov. 1, 8:00 p.m. ET (NBCSN, RDS2)
FC Dallas or Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. Seattle Sounders – Sun., Nov. 2, 9:00 p.m. ET (ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, TSN2)

Second Leg (Home teams listed first):
LA Galaxy vs. Real Salt Lake – Sun., Nov. 9, 7:30 p.m. ET (ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, TSN2, RDS2)
Seattle Sounders FC vs. FC Dallas or Vancouver Whitecaps FC – Mon., Nov. 10, 10:30 p.m. ET (NBCSN, UDN, TSN2, RDS2)

Conference Championships
First Leg:
Teams TBD – Sun., Nov. 23, 1:30 p.m. ET (NBC)
Teams TBD – Sun., Nov. 23, 5:00 p.m. (ESPN, ESPN Deportes)

Second Leg:
Teams TBD – Sat., Nov. 29, 3:00 p.m. ET (NBCSN, UDN, TSN2, RDS2)
Teams TBD– Sun., Nov. 30, 5:00 p.m. OR 9:00 p.m. ET (ESPN, ESPN Deportes, RDS2)

MLS Cup 2014
Sunday, December 7 (hosted by finalist with best regular season record)
3:00 p.m. ET (ESPN, Univision, TSN, and RDS networks) Site TBD

Key to television networks:
NBCSN = NBC Sports Network
UniMas (Spanish)
UDN = Univision Deportes Network (Spanish)
TSN & TSN2 = in Canada (English)
RDS & RDS2 = in Canada (French)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Sweet, Sounders' first leg is at a decent hour for me. And I might actually have someone to watch it with too.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Kansas City better loving Lose because holy loving poo poo airplane tickets out there are STARTING at $600 round trip.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Kansas City better loving Lose because holy loving poo poo airplane tickets out there are STARTING at $600 round trip.

They will. They are a broken shell of a team right now.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

whypick1 posted:

Sweet, Sounders' first leg is at a decent hour for me. And I might actually have someone to watch it with too.

I will be sitting in an airport, I doubt any bar will have it on :cry:

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

TheNakedJimbo posted:

I have a personal proverb: whenever you catch yourself crossing your fingers and thinking "Maybe we can get something out of this if we can just hold on until the end," look at the clock. If there are fewer than 15 minutes left, you're probably okay. If there are more than 15 minutes left, your team is boned. I had that moment sometime around the 25th minute yesterday.

That's what made yesterday's Sounders/LA game so crazy. I had the "just hold on, weather the storm" feeling from like the 2nd minute, and for the first time that I can ever remember, we did. And then to top it off we Pappa'd them. It was glorious. The explosion when Pappa scored his first was equal parts excitement and relief, and it's been a long time since I've seen the stadium erupt like that.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
That two week gap between rounds is dumb dumb dumb.

And let's get this DC championship underway please.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Time to start up the Anybody But Seattle bandwagon, because as insufferable as it would be for them to win it all, it's even better to see them lose it all too. Maybe in the Final, for maximum heartbreak, too.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

harperdc posted:

Time to start up the Anybody But Seattle bandwagon, because as insufferable as it would be for them to win it all, it's even better to see them lose it all too. Maybe in the Final, for maximum heartbreak, too.

I agree with this post and so should you.

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

im a dick and silll happy the timbers didnt make it

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

Eelface posted:

im a dick and silll happy the timbers didnt make it

oh yeah we dont give a gently caress about last place

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

harperdc posted:

Maybe in the Final, for maximum heartbreak, too.

Nope. The soccer gods still demand an LA/DC final.

A grudge match WCF might be fun though.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

There were so many current and former DC players whose name could have been under that spoiler tag that I truly didn't know what to expect.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Official MLS Bracket seems really bad. You can't make picks on the later games because the "teams aren't set yet", essentially defeating the purpose of your playoff bracket, which is supposed to predict those games.

Also you have to pick the individual winners of games 1 and 2 and the winner of the series, but you can't pick a tie in the actual games. Real incompetent stuff

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005

joshtothemaxx posted:

That two week gap between rounds is dumb dumb dumb.

And let's get this DC championship underway please.

The two week gap is dumb but having players miss a conference final leg because they got called in to play e.g. a Euro qualifier would be even dumber.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Howdy posted:

The two week gap is dumb but having players miss a conference final leg because they got called in to play e.g. a Euro qualifier would be even dumber.

Yeah, I don't mind the gap because at least FIFA dates shouldn't interfere too much, baring injuries/fatigue.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Chivas USA is now officially dead. Unnamed LA franchise #2 will come back in 2017. Houston and KC will move to the western conference next year.

http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/2014/10/27/chivas-usa-contraction-folds-mls-los-angeles-realignment

E: Oh, and the ownership group for the new LA team will be announced on Thursday

trem_two fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 27, 2014

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
NAOOOOOOOOOOO NO HOUSTON

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Garber wrote a letter to Chivas supporters

not sure why he bothered, it probably would have been quicker to just tell them each in person

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trem_two posted:

Chivas USA is now officially dead. Unnamed LA franchise #2 will come back in 2017. Houston and KC will move to the western conference next year.

http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/2014/10/27/chivas-usa-contraction-folds-mls-los-angeles-realignment

E: Oh, and the ownership group for the new LA team will be announced on Thursday

Now the east is even more of a joke, wonderful.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Wouldn't surprise me if Orlando and NYCFC just dominate out of the gate, since there isn't much competition

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Hungryjack posted:

There were so many current and former DC players whose name could have been under that spoiler tag that I truly didn't know what to expect.

As a DC fan there was not one moment of doubt in my mind

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

guppy posted:

As a DC fan there was not one moment of doubt in my mind

No chance it would be Erpen?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
RIP Chivas I'll miss the automatic wins on the schedule

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Benne posted:

RIP Chivas I'll miss the automatic wins on the schedule

So will we all. Now they're being replaced by two of the best teams of the last 4 years from the East. The fight for the #3-5 spots in the West is going to get straight bloody.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

quote:

Clubs will play each of their nine conference opponents at least twice (one home, one away), plus six additional intra-conference games -- three home and three away.

gently caress this poo poo.

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/526790720661626881

quote:

I'm told that Erick "Cubo" Torres will likely NOT be part of Chivas USA dispersal draft. Details to come. #ChivasUSA #MLS

They should just call this the Dan Kennedy Draft.

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 27, 2014

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

We knew about Cubo for about a month. I did a :tinfoil: post when it came out he was being given to either LA or Seattle.

Also, the schedule is essentially the same as it is this year.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Also news, Valeri apparently tore his ACL.

good thing we didn't go to the playoffs, I guess?

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/SportingKC/status/526815152444698624

Just lol. SPorks win this one.

• Locked thread