Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Remember when the fire truck drove over that survivor's body? lmbo.

When people found that out I said I hope the firefighters were going to investigate the screw-up and goons freaked out at me for firefighter hating and said accidents happen, it was just an accident man ain't no reason to it or way to avoid it.

Like I've done emergency response procedures and stuff and if the emergency response itself got someone killed rather than the mishap the next year of my life would be pretty rough as we figured out how something went so poorly regardless of how "tense" and "sudden" the mishap is.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FullLeatherJacket posted:

like, what qualifications do you need to be the guy who goes around staring at pieces of burnt plane and then says "ah, clearly a pilot training issue with the right aeleron"?

because that's literally my dream job based on television

can you handle 12 hours a day of holding a piece of metal up in front of you with one hand, then another in the other hand, and going "hmm...hmmmmmmm...."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Skipjack posted:

Not always. Sometimes the sensors on the plane get hosed up and the pilots get confused and fly full-throttle into the sea lol

Hrrrm, the autopilot turned off. Better pull the stick back until we all die lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

errad posted:

Does your book on terrorism also mandate that the reason be communicated instantly or within x number of hours?

Yes? Kind of loses effectiveness if you don't immediately claim it as if you weren't expecting it. Nobody's going to take you seriously if you wait a few weeks before going "Yeah, we did it.".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm sorry this happened, not because of the lives lost but because of the inevitable legislative response.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

guys

rupert knows all

https://twitter.com/rupertmurdoch/status/442680012630945792

Rupert Murdoch ‏@rupertmurdoch
777crash confirms jihadists turning to make trouble for China. Chance for US to make common cause, befriend China while Russia bullies.

lol it's cool that Rupert has his massive propaganda empire to do the job for him but he still likes to get his hands dirty and help the cause with a few tweets every once in a while

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Woden posted:

Even in Australia we call off searches when it gets dark, I don't know maybe it's just a regional thing?

I dunno maybe it's harder to find poo poo in the dark JUST MAYBE

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

US special forces swapped out with the pilots at the last minute, acting on intel that the plane was carrying a passenger of interest.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arakan posted:

how did they manage to avoid all the military personnel on diego garcia

what part did you not get about a conspiracy theory involving taking a plane to a military base

edit: the part where the military/CIA/allied foreign agents did it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rocks posted:

Wouldn't China know pretty quick if the USA stole a bunch of their citizens?

if they're in on it they're in on it

if they're not in on it they're like everyone else going "hey how'd that plane just disappear wooooooah"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How many Jews were on the plane?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's right, none.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Same for most places in Asia tho

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Reign Of Pain posted:

Is this the thread that SA is using to do the whole http://www.tomnod.com/nod/ thing when it comes back up?

Only if it'll let me pan over to Diego Garcia and leave notes there

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gotta be able to get to it if you're going to destroy all the evidence.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Daimo posted:

Wow people are going nuts over this like its a safe thread.

Divers open a cargo box in the undersea wreckage, find the deed to Dracula's castle

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You people make it sound like a pitot failure with no visibility is a near guaranteed crash with nothing to be done about it besides hope.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ManifunkDestiny posted:

well in the three instances that it happened, the planes crashed into the sea, so.....

Though I am sure there are undocumented cases where pilots were able to ride it out just fine

There are many documented instances of pilots dealing with pitot tube failure. In those cases the pilots notice that the autopilot and instrumentation stopped working and take their hands off the controls because the plane isn't magically going to go into a dive if it's been cruising.

You might notice that in the cases of pitot failure leading to an airliner crash, the pilots either failed to notice the problem and or started loving with the controls. That's why the Air France investigation focused more on awareness and communication than "well they were hosed anyway so all they could do was pray".

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 13, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

That string is going to go all over the cockpit as soon as they get up to speed. The only thing that can withstand those speeds is going to have to be way more durable.

I fell asleep a lot in physics class too but this is still pretty embarrassing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

At some point somebody's gonna look up what a yaw string is and poo poo themselves

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Knight Corgi posted:

Are those people sociopaths or what.

You retard, if your plane just crashed and nobody got hurt you'd probably take a pic too

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Dumbfucks shouldn't post it online, they should sell them to newspapers.
Brother witnessed a car getting burned out at the height of the usual Northern Ireland yearly riots and sold the pic to the Irish News newspaper for 100 euros as it was used on the front page the next day.

Well they could still do that, putting it online doesn't mean the newspapers have the rights to the photo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

your body relaxes and you revert to your natural and comfortable skeleton state

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

without instruments after an electrical failure

lol

like are you picturing a completely dark cockpit after the plane goes through an alien EMP or maybe a cable on the single car battery springing loose

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Al Borland posted:

Maybe suicide by pilot.

Sure took him a while to commit, unlike the last guy who rammed his plane into the ocean pretty quickly

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ManlyWeevil posted:

And now China says they have a seismic event near the last known location of MH370.

On the other hand, USGS doesn't show anything of note

That's pretty loving dumb, it's a bunch of aluminum falling into water not a meteor.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

I forget where I read this, but apparently it's about the risk of a fire starting if it malfunctions somehow. If it's overheating, you want to be able to cut power to it.

Makes sense, I'm sure they're dumping a lot of power into those devices in order to make the range useful.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Overwined posted:

I guess, though it seems like hardcore ceramic insulation would be less risky than having a transponder that could be electively shut off.

Well when you step through the process you get into things like "Why would someone shut off the transponder in the first place?" and the options are "He's going to ram his own plane into the ocean because his wife left him" or "Hijackers".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

myshl0ng posted:

Malaysia prob didn't even know the flight was missing until some other country pointed it out

I actually had that happen once at Dulles. Copa Airlines never sent the plane over there but also never told anyone it wasn't coming, then when we tried to get new tickets they said the plane departed Dulles with no passengers so it wasn't their fault we didn't board

It took 2 months to get a refund through a chargeback lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Guess that depends on whether you can actually control cabin air like that through the cockpit in a 777. I know that function isn't available on all airframes.

Then again if you've figured out how to hijack a modern 777 then you can probably figure out how to put a hole in the bulkhead.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

I could imagine if he was suicidal he mightve just done something crazy to end his life on. Go into a bunch of weird acrobatics and nosedives that hed always wanted to pull off, loving with the systems in some way, then just cruising around for a bit before the nut decides that, gently caress it, this stretch of ocean looks as good as any.

Nah suicidal people never go like "I'm gonna do some crazy poo poo before I go out"

Like the Egypt Air guy could have at least done a barrel roll while crying about his wife

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FullLeatherJacket posted:

If you leave a plane to do its own thing, it quite often has a tendency to fly up and down for its own amusement.

Airliners are specifically designed not to do that. There was a lot more that got hosed up on that Japanese flight than just "they couldn't use the controls", since the vertical stabilizer was completely blown off.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rocks posted:

still can't believe they have ships and planes looking for this thing. don't they have HD satellites looking at every expanse of the Earth now? There's literally no way both US and China don't have that technology, why wouldn't they deploy it? Seems like it would use a lot less resources.

I'm still skeptical it crashed, they for sure would've found it by now

If you had the capability to locate the plane would you reveal it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FADEtoBLACK posted:

You could however organize a fake expanded search where one of your ships just happens to be in the right spot. Or tell one of your stooge allies to do it.

Hey man it's only been a few days, let's let our foreign competitors demonstrate their weakness

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If a Chinese fishing trawler doesn't "miraculously" bring up some dude's face and half an engine within the next 5 days then that's all the confirmation the CIA needs that the Chinkos can't task their satellites properly and run automated image processing to pick out debris at a 1 ft visible light resolution because they had that poo poo pinpointed ages ago

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's dumber than saying the plane went through a stargate to Planet X

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Emanuel Collective posted:

This is the pic Reddit is talking about :

For that to be the plane, it would have to be floating fairly high in the ocean with its fuselage and tail intact. Unless the plane hit the water at 1 knot or something, the plane isn't going to be intact.

lol what are the flotation cushions for if not to keep an entire intact fuselage 3 feet below the surface of the ocean

loving redditors

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Drunk & Ugly posted:

How does somebody get something from that

I saw this and thought it was a boat which made me excited cause staring at water for 10 minutes makes you feel dumb, but its just a big wave i think.

Seems it would be impossible to find much on this unless youre trained

I can't imagine it's worth having people look at this thing instead of just running image recognition software to pick out hard angles.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

Yeah, just a 20m wide wave amid calm waters in the open ocean.

literally happens all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wouldn't it be a cool idea to have a restaurant in one of those but it's themed for famous disasters

like there's people in the cockpit acting out cockpit voice recordings while things shake and there's noises

• Locked thread