Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Oberleutnant posted:

how many 'various means' are there to call a plane? i mean all they have is a radio what else did they do? shout at the sky or somethin i gues

3 VHF radios
2 HF radios
Satcom/satphone
FANS/CPDLC

Oh yeah and smoke signals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

LOL

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo
FYI

Foo Fighters

Five more jokes about the band would be super funny too though

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Zeno-25 posted:

Some country's military screwed up and shot it down just like with KAL 007 and it went nose-in, there's nothing left but a few scraps of metal on the seafloor lot of poo poo that leaves a floating debris trail, there may even be a nautical name for such floating debris

Fixed

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo
Ooh good one. Creepy

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo
North Korea for the win

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

maxidious posted:

You had me going until sea dye, I am pretty sure there is not enough dye to change the colour of the sea.

Oh yes there is

You can see that poo poo from space too

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

almost... like someone trying to fly without instruments after an electrical failure

coincidentally hitting every RNAV waypoint on the jet route along the way

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo
Seems like they did a pretty good job figuring out how to turn off the transponder and the ACARS.

IF that is what happened, don't get your hopes up for cockpit voice recorder audio, because there's a circuit breaker for that too.

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

flavor posted:

Maybe somebody pushed (cracked?) his buttons or he pushed the wrong one. I'd rather someone craig d. current case.

:toot:

well said

also:

LOL

Classified analysis indeed

"it might have gone this way.....or this way"

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/14/world/...ane/index.html

If you haven't watched that you need to. No idea how they are keeping a straight face

hofnar fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 15, 2014

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo
Not that I expect any earthshaking revelations from the press conference, but CNN apparently doesn't care about or isn't aware of it.

hofnar fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 15, 2014

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Northjayhawk posted:

As soon as they said good night to Malaysia and disappeared off civilian radar, the plane climbed to 45,000 feet, stayed there for a while, and descended to a normal altitude, then changed direction before going out of range of military radar. That is way above the altitude limit for this plane. One theory floating around is that if you could somehow depressurize the cabin and had your own oxygen, flying up to 45k is one way to kill all the passengers.

That works just as well at 35,000 or even high 20's for that matter. My guess for whatever it's worth is the altitude deviations were a result of a struggle up front.

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

The Casualty posted:

I'd normally throw this theory right out the window with it being a :siren:POST 9/11 WORLD:siren: what with sealed cockpit doors and all, but that story about the co-pilot inviting total strangers up front because he thought they might bang him makes this depressingly plausible.

Could have been between just the two pilots

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

toggle posted:

If the cabin was depressurised at 40k feet, what would the passengers be feeling? As in, do they just pass out straight away, or get a nasty head ache then pass out? Yawning? Bleeding ears?

At 40K you would have several seconds time of useful consciousness, as in single digits.

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Elysiume posted:

Would the passing out feel more like being light headed until you conked out, or more like suffocating

You are not going to go straight from normal cabin pressure to 40K unless you have some kind of structural failure, which would be explosive decompression, and that's a lot more violent, and loss of consciousness is very rapid. In a scenario like I think you and the guy above are asking about, the loss of pressure would be less rapid, so light headedness, tingly fingers, euphoria sometimes, then a nap. Never heard of anyone having a suffocating feeling.

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

toggle posted:

So this would be the more pleasant way to die on a plane.

Rather than being a firey meteor or being sucked out of the toilet rear end first.

Hypoxia isn't so bad :)

Just not in the closet with your mom's nylons on you sick gently caress

ETA: I don't think hitting the ground REAL hard would be a bad way to go either, but the fiery meteor part is on the low end of the good/bad scale

hofnar fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 15, 2014

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Prop Wash posted:

Well since nobody who has a clue what they're talking about has responded to you yet I'll give it a shot! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_useful_consciousness is the wikipedia page for Time of Useful Consciousness, it matches up with Air Force charts pretty well so I'd consider it a reliable source. At 40,000 feet you have 15-20 seconds. That can vary based on whether or not it was a rapid decompression or you're moving or burning oxygen (which could drop it to single digits). A rapid decompression will not harm you unless you had some kind of nasal blockage, in which case life will seriously suck for you.

Within that 15-20 seconds you will become hypoxic. The symptoms you immediately display vary by person but generally include light-headedness, fatigue, cyanosis (your fingertips/lips turn blue), tingling feelings and nausea. US Air Force aircrew are required to go through the altitude chamber, which includes a trip without oxygen up to very high pressure altitudes, and that's where this video is from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN3W4d-5RPo It's important to know your symptoms or you end up like that guy!

So to answer your question, they'd start getting headaches and fatigue and then they'd probably pass out eventually. Those passengers with nasal blockages would suffer extreme pain, as would those with a lot of gas. This would all happen very quickly.

edit: a note about that video, the point of the training is to understand your own symptoms so that you'll recognize when you're becoming hypoxic. The reason the instructor keeps hammering on that black box (which is the oxygen regulator) is because if you don't do it yourself then you fail.

Thanks for taking charge of this prop wash

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

My Imaginary GF posted:

No loving way, is that even in the range for the aircraft?

Context

ETA: as in, request some

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Sinjang posted:

Does climbing above max altitude really lead to depressurization? I thought it just caused a stall.

No

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

bad day posted:

This was the first thing I thought about and I have been making Langoliers jokes all week but nobody laughs because only like ten people saw that movie.

Or maybe it's the fact that every third comment about this on the entire internet is a langoliers or lost reference

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Would it kill/incapacitate passengers significantly faster at 45k than whatever's normal? Those altitude chamber videos posted, those guys seemed like would still have some fight left in them for a minute or 2.

LOL

If you ever get the chance to do an altitude chamber ride to 25K dance around and throw a few punches and report back with how that worked out for you. They won't have a minute or two fight in them because at 45K there's no, what's the word...air. FYI at 50K military pilots are required to wear a full pressure suit regardless of whether the cabin is pressurized or not.

Vin BioEthanol posted:

I'd just hold my breath!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Efvl6AwILo

hofnar fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 15, 2014

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Schwarbage posted:

How exactly would you deliberately depressurize the cabin in mid-flight? Would you need to puncture the fuselage somehow or is there a mechanism for it?

There is an automatic pressurization controller that can be operated manually

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabin_pressurization

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo
doobie double post

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Schwarbage posted:

Man you think they'd keep the 'kill everyone' switch disabled or something during flight.

It's there for when the automatic controller fails, which happens

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

how it could fly north and not get picked up by radar is bizaar unless it was fly low....... ...

You would be surprised at how lovely (or nonexistent) the radar is in that region.

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Lolie posted:

One thing which has been said repeatedly on news reports is that until this happened commercial pilots weren't even aware that the pings from their engines could be picked up by satellites (which is what happened in this case - Malaysian Airlines wasn't signed up for the extended services where data is relayed back to Rolls Royce). So it's probably not a case of "allowing" the pings (which aren't a whole lot of use in real time anyway) - apparently they can occur whether the aircraft is flying or not and even after it has crashed.

Even the pilot who was flying about half an hour ahead of the Malaysian Airlines flight didn't think it was especially unusual when Vietnam couldn't make contact with it and he could hear only muffled sounds because apparently it's something which happens often enough to not raise suspicion on its own.

In hindsight, the "clues" may seem obvious but it sounds like very little happened which should have raised alarm in real time (and certainly nothing which indicated the plane had "disappeared" rather than simply crashed into the ocean). At the time this was occurring, no-one had access to all of the data which is now available.

Not so much unaware, just most guys don't get into the beeps and squeaks of where the pings go out. Most assume it's an ACARS function, which I'm sure these guys did too.

It is super difficult to make contact in some of these areas, in fact in eastern India through Myanmar you were lucky to make contact via radio at all.

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo
glad that occurred to you, you might be on to something

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo
Of course Malaysia Airlines is still running the same callsign on their daily KUL-PEK trip.

"Now boarding flight 370 to Beijing."

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/MAS370

:stare:

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

PleasureKevin posted:

That's the headline at the Mirror, but I have no idea why.

More fine reporting from the national enquirer mirror.

"Here's a sensational headline and a picture with no story. Draw your own conclusions."

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

PleasureKevin posted:

A few days ago the idea that the plane didn't crash between Vietnam and Malaysia was crazy. But that turned out to be true. And so it follows that any of the theories that sound crazy today, must also turn out to be true.

You're having a conversation with yourself. Nothing sounds crazy, it is that clicking the mirror link literally does not take you to the story.

hofnar fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 16, 2014

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

PleasureKevin posted:

When they unplugged their transponder, maybe they plugged a different one in. So they looked like a different plane to everyone. They could then go into other airspace.

You had me at plugged in a different one

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

I thought it was a thing among airline pilots to do something like bring a laptop on-board a long trans-Atlantic flight and play flight sims on it on the flight deck watch movies. Just something anecdotal I read once.

fixed

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Disconnecticus posted:

Sadly this has been in development for eighteen months and now everyone thinks they're just ghouls.

Gonna have to explain this one a little better

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

td;dw* - Visual interpretation of the CNN comments section set to music

*too dumb don't watch

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

bathroom sounds posted:

Anyone else think its weird that at the same time Putin is annexing Crimea, an entire plane goes missing??

Holy poo poo!!!!!!!!!

no

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Spaced God posted:

How long do the CVR and FDR have before they die?

Forever unless they were damaged in the crash or had their circuit breakers pulled at the beginning of the adventure

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

That is one unfortunate looking broad from that angle

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Chinatown posted:

Its...gone, guys.

Knock Knock

Who's There

Pinger