Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Umiapik posted:

Could well be terrorism, then.

Terrorism kind of requires a reason and that reason to be communicated to the people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

Too bad they make you turn off your phone. It is likely that several people had phones with GPS tracking that could have told them exactly where the phone was when it stopped working.

I basically never turn off my phone in planes (or put it to "flight-safe mode", whatever that is) and I've done 100+ flights. No idea if the GPS tracking you mentioned works during a flight, though.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Going from singapore to kuala lumpur was like falling off a cloud on a sunny day into a grave filled with decomposing relatives

I prefer the food in Singapore as well, but the main thing I noticed going from Singapore to KL was the amount of extremely beautiful women multiplying by 10. Kind of like a moment of "I knew SOMETHING was wrong in Singapore but I couldn't quite grasp what it was".

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

No idea what the original source for this is (read it from a Finnish tabloid news) but apparently there were five people who were checked-in for the flight but didn't board the plane (and also had their luggage removed from the plane as is customary).
So that's extreme luck/good karma for that group, or planned part of a terrorist act.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Saga posted:

Hope this doesn't damage MAS too badly. Back when I travelled more regularly in the region, I flew them frequently and always got good service. They're no Garuda.

"Good service" isn't really relevant at all for flight safety. I bet those aussie girls also got "good service" when the same MAS pilots invited them for some fun in the cockpit during flight.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Awesome! posted:

was he tripping balls on acid and lose all sense of reality? how does someone gently caress up like that when sober?

French

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Is it out of question that the plane would have had enough fuel to fly all the way to Pakistan or Afghanistan?
I can't really come out with any kind of remotely reasonable theory for landing the plane in the Andaman islands and then keeping it there for a week or whatever the gently caress.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

edit: nevermind, misread

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 14, 2014

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Yeaaaaaah don't search the homes of the people who are at this point basically suspect of the murder of 230+ people.
Seems pretty obvious that if this case is ever to be solved, it needs to be done by other countries than Malaysia.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I'm aware the source is Daily mail, but the timeline actually makes it the most plausible theory so far.

"The Mail on Sunday has learned that Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah was an ‘obsessive’ supporter of Malaysia’s opposition leader, Anwar Ibrahim. And hours before the doomed flight left Kuala Lumpur it is understood 53-year-old Shah attended a controversial trial in which Ibrahim was jailed for five years"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-sodomite.html

So basically, his hero got sentenced to jail for probably ridiculous and fabricated malaysian-style reasons (just assuming without knowing the case), pilot goes nuts and takes the plane on a wild ride before crashing it on land or sea.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Elukka posted:

How does doing this to make a political point make any sense without a message or, well, any sort of point?

At least my assumption isn't that he was trying to have any "point" or message whatsoever, simply that he was so loving pissed that his reaction was this. Basically an amok run, just with an airbus instead of the usual gun or knife.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Guys guys would this t-shirt make me look cool?

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

At this point the investigation would probably save some 2 years of time if they just "ask" every relevant country whether they happen to have information related to the disappearance.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

keevo posted:

Have they announced that those objects west of Australia are a bunch of nothing?

I think their prime minister announced that the families of the MH370 passengers deserved this.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

pollution from cars breaks down the atmosphere and the pollution goes into space which then travels to the sun and causes the sun to erupt in solar flares which hosed with the planes controls and caused it to crash and the rest of global warming changed the ocean currents swept the plane away into Africa or something.

makes u think

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Rick Rickshaw posted:

CBC is reporting the Chinese have found two objects, while CNN is reporting the Aussies have found two objects.

4 objects 2 countries or 2 objects 1 cuntry?!

What's a oval office-ry?
:tipshat:

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

One of the many pathetic things about this is that even if the black/orange box is found, there will only be the last two hours of voice communication because the system only keeps the last the hours of voice data. I.e. the fights between pilot and co-pilot and other interesting stuff is all deleted. I wonder if our civilization will some day advance to a point where we can record more than two hours of voice data.

Also a pretty loving good point on previous page about the Formula 1, the GP of Kuala Lumpur is next weekend so they wanted to close this poo poo and move on stuff that's more fun and alive.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

demonR6 posted:

You will be pleasantly surprised when we break the news to you that modern aeroplanes are not made of tin but a combination of aluminum alloy and carbon composites in some cases.

It makes that horrible death much more pleasant :mcnabb:

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Search planes have spotted a total of 146 726 objects in the ocean and Malaysian search boats are going through the area as we speak. According to Malaysian and Cambodian parliament as well as the prime minister of Australia, these are "almost certainly" from MH370.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Personperson14 posted:

Did they find it?

The most recent information I have is from an Internet message board from a person called Chinatown announcing that it's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Ironed Idol posted:

The aerial search for the missing Malaysia Airlines jet was called off Monday, and the underwater hunt will be expanded to include a vast swath of ocean floor that may take at least eight months to thoroughly search, Australian officials said.

Yeah, It is gone.

They are thoroughly searching an area that most probably isn't even where the plane is. When you backtrack a few weeks and analyze it from today's point of view, they were just guessing and implying that they will find something "very soon". In reality, there probably never was any proper clue whatsoever. Have they even disclosed any actual facts about why it's supposed to be in the Indian ocean west of Perth? Satellite info and all that poo poo, but have they given facts that can be verified by people outside the investigation? It all sounded very reasonable back then, but it seems more likely that they just went for the "let's let is slowly fade away until people forget" tactics and made up a story instead of just saying "we have no idea whatsoever" and taking in the shitstorm.
Makes u think.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 29, 2014

• Locked thread