Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

glowing-fish posted:

Ah, so you don't like my map because it tried to provide a more detailed explanation and pattern to voting than "folks capable of a line of thought I would consider delusional are capable of voting for donald trump."

?
Hey I know you didn't answer my very easy question earlier but I just wanted to say that the manner in which you dismiss slight criticism is a really great analogy for every other attempt at data analysis and presentation you've made in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

What do you dislike about them?

You suck at whatever you think you're doing.

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax

anthonypants posted:

Hey I know you didn't answer my very easy question earlier but I just wanted to say that the manner in which you dismiss slight criticism is a really great analogy for every other attempt at data analysis and presentation you've made in this thread.

:ironicat:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
How about you folks quit being giant assholes to each other and simply deliver your critiques in a respectful and meaningful manner.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I mean if you want to humor someone's motte-and-bailey bullshit of furiously generating cute amounts of data with zero claim of a thesis like a flailing graduate student, go ahead. What we have is a vacillation between shouting down anyone for "not having any conclusions backed by trufax" when challenged on any claims and "I'm not making on conclusions, I'm just making cute maps" when challenged on data. I can quote him doing this specific act within the last 40 posts.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
This is an oddly self-referential post.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Gerund posted:

I mean if you want to humor someone's motte-and-bailey bullshit of furiously generating cute amounts of data with zero claim of a thesis like a flailing graduate student, go ahead. What we have is a vacillation between shouting down anyone for "not having any conclusions backed by trufax" when challenged on any claims and "I'm not making on conclusions, I'm just making cute maps" when challenged on data. I can quote him doing this specific act within the last 40 posts.

Just be specific about what you don't like and maybe we'll have something interesting to discuss rather than this dumb sniping.

anthonypants posted:

This is an oddly self-referential post.

You know, like this.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Solkanar512 posted:

Just be specific about what you don't like and maybe we'll have something interesting to discuss rather than this dumb sniping.

You know, like this.
Well, I could either pretend to be above it all or stick to single-emoticon responses :angel:

But I'm not going to :twisted:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Solkanar512 posted:

How about you folks quit being giant assholes to each other and simply deliver your critiques in a respectful and meaningful manner.

Hey. gently caress you, buddy. This is tradition.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Gerund posted:

Well, I wouldn't say I don't have a thesis, not just a super formal type of thesis.

I do have a conjecture, or several conjectures, and they are kind of general ideas.

Conjecture 1: Across the country, there is in general no single demographic key to explain candidate preference, either in general or in terms of Donald Trump. The demographic keys that do exist are almost tautologies: Republican voters support Republican candidates. But trying to tie voting patterns to income, education level, urban/rural residence, etc., is generally hard to generalize across the country as a whole. (Exception: being a minority is pretty easily correlated to voting Democratic)

Conjecture 2: Within a limited geographical area, like within a state or region, demographic factors do show more definite correlations to voting patterns. In the Pacific Northwest, for example, completion of a college education is the single demographic factor that correlates most strongly with Democratic voting preference.

Both of these are conjectures, rather than a thesis that I am trying to rigorously trying to defend. They are ideas that I think are fun to discuss on an internet comedy forum, not dogmas of political science I am trying to proclaim as written in stone.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

glowing-fish posted:

Well, I wouldn't say I don't have a thesis, not just a super formal type of thesis.

I do have a conjecture, or several conjectures, and they are kind of general ideas.

Conjecture 1: Across the country, there is in general no single demographic key to explain candidate preference, either in general or in terms of Donald Trump. The demographic keys that do exist are almost tautologies: Republican voters support Republican candidates. But trying to tie voting patterns to income, education level, urban/rural residence, etc., is generally hard to generalize across the country as a whole. (Exception: being a minority is pretty easily correlated to voting Democratic)

Conjecture 2: Within a limited geographical area, like within a state or region, demographic factors do show more definite correlations to voting patterns. In the Pacific Northwest, for example, completion of a college education is the single demographic factor that correlates most strongly with Democratic voting preference.

Both of these are conjectures, rather than a thesis that I am trying to rigorously trying to defend. They are ideas that I think are fun to discuss on an internet comedy forum, not dogmas of political science I am trying to proclaim as written in stone.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

glowing-fish posted:

The thesis which you're trying to rigorously defend is that there's some magic combination of demographics that can describe why and how people vote for one of two political parties, instead of taking a wild guess at how people might react to "Make America Great Again" vs "America is already great because America is good" ideologies.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
America is and has been poo poo for a long time, both slogans were bad

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

America is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Nipples posted:

America is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there.
"Take it easy," is the American motto,

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

anthonypants posted:

The thesis which you're trying to rigorously defend is that there's some magic combination of demographics that can describe why and how people vote for one of two political parties, instead of taking a wild guess at how people might react to "Make America Great Again" vs "America is already great because America is good" ideologies.

But there is a specific demographic that voted the way they did...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

glowing-fish posted:

People with educations have this thing where they can afford to pick and choose where to move, and often when and where to work, as well. So trying to tie degrees to locales is largely stupid, except insofar as to prove that in big swathes of farmland, people with degrees often do not move there in hopes of becoming hobby farmers. But hey, my folks did exactly that. I grew up picking berries at a dollar a flat, bucking bales at a quarter each, and it really didn't do anything but convince me that a job where I could read and stuff would be way more pleasant, and probably pay more for less actual physical labor in general.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

coyo7e posted:

People with educations have this thing where they can afford to pick and choose where to move, and often when and where to work, as well. So trying to tie degrees to locales is largely stupid, except insofar as to prove that in big swathes of farmland, people with degrees often do not move there in hopes of becoming hobby farmers. But hey, my folks did exactly that. I grew up picking berries at a dollar a flat, bucking bales at a quarter each, and it really didn't do anything but convince me that a job where I could read and stuff would be way more pleasant, and probably pay more for less actual physical labor in general.

People tend to share political and social beliefs with their peers, so regardless of education locale should have a pretty big impact on voting trends.

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax

coyo7e posted:

Is this why all regions are either 100% liberal or 100% conservative? What an intelligent observation.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

coyo7e posted:

The educational attainment statistics from the Census don't tell us how many of the people who grew up in that area got a degree and stayed there, just how many people live there now. This is an interesting issue in certain resort communities of Oregon, like Hood River and Deschutes County.

The college completion number is often a marker for other things. I am using it as a marker of a demographic unit, not to try to say how individual people will vote. Communities with higher education levels tend to share other characteristics, some of which are easy to find, others of which are not. Communities with higher education levels might have higher income levels, be more urbanized, have higher minority presence, have less church attendance, all of which might be correlated to political views.

I don't really understand why you think "trying to tie degrees to locales is largely stupid"...it seems like an obvious and intuitive thing to me. Anyone who goes to Corvallis, and goes to Albany, two cities that are 20 miles apart and are about the same size, is going to notice a very different political and cultural atmosphere. And what is the best way to account for that? College graduation rates are about twice as high in Corvallis than in Albany, even though most other demographics are roughly equal. I don't see why looking at this is "stupid".

And, in response to my data, which might be sketchy or not tell the entire story, you respond with a...personal anecdote? I mean, its not that I dislike personal stories, but it seems odd to criticize me for drawing too quick of conclusions from limited data, and then countering with a personal story.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

glowing-fish posted:

College graduation rates are about twice as high in Corvallis than in Albany, even though most other demographics are roughly equal. I don't see why looking at this is "stupid".
lol

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Glowing-fish, why don't you just start a thread?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Relevant Tangent posted:

Glowing-fish, why don't you just start a thread?

I did start a thread. This one.

When I started this thread, I was thinking it would be more oriented around political discussion, research, new ideas, that type of stuff. I wasn't going to rule out fun cultural stuff and just general chat. I've found some of those discussions interesting and fun.

But the election of Donald Trump is a momentous and important occasion, and how it relates to the Pacific Northwest politics is a vital issue. It doesn't really make sense to dismiss a political issue of this magnitude in favor of more beer and commute chat.

If people want a general chat thread, I will close this thread, and you can start a new thread in GBS.

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 29, 2016

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

There is a loving college in Corvallis.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Shifty Nipples posted:

There is a loving college in Corvallis.

There's a community college in Albany.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

It doesn't really make sense to dismiss a political issue of this magnitude in favor of more beer and commute chat.

If people want a general chat thread, I will close this thread, and you can start a new thread in GBS.

This is the general PNW chat thread, you literally just admitted that. Can you not see you've hijacked it?

I said it awhile ago, I'll say it again: this discussion should be its own thread.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

TheBalor posted:

And would you rather graduate from a community college or a loving college? That's what I thought.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

anthonypants posted:

And would you rather graduate from a community college or a loving college? That's what I thought.

I'm very community minded.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I don't really care where you graduate as long as you gained the skills and knowledge to do your job well and hopefully be a better and more productive citizen. Of course a broad background of gen studies and social studies helps, but people usually get out of school what they put into it, and even a 4 year degree won't guarantee someone won't graduate with some odd notions or other, about something or other... See Silicon Valley libertarians with very slightly masked racist beliefs, conservative water and power engineers, lobbyist scientists who buck scientific trends, etc.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

TheBalor posted:

Yeah, but its got a huge population of four-year-degree seekers from Oregon State attending classes on the cheap. Linn-Benton is a weird CC.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

glowing-fish posted:

You're right that you don't have a thesis because a thesis will answer "why should anyone care". College education doesn't really mean anything especially if Religious Indoctrination College is equated the same as Liberal Arts University.

You'd be better served to do a photographic survey of the people that shop at a given demographically-applicable grocery store to see if a given county is a White Racist Enclave or not. Its not just that being a minority trends Democratic; people that aren't in gated isolates also trend democratic.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

coyo7e posted:

I don't really care where you graduate as long as you gained the skills and knowledge to do your job well and hopefully be a better and more productive citizen. Of course a broad background of gen studies and social studies helps, but people usually get out of school what they put into it, and even a 4 year degree won't guarantee someone won't graduate with some odd notions or other, about something or other... See Silicon Valley libertarians with very slightly masked racist beliefs, conservative water and power engineers, lobbyist scientists who buck scientific trends, etc.

Smokers tend to have shorter life spans than non-smokers.

Well, though, how do we define smokers? Because everyone has really smoked at least once in their life? And if we define smokers as say, 10 or more cigarettes a day, what about all the people who smoke 9 cigarettes a day? Won't ignoring them just ruin our data? Also, what about cigar smokers? What about people who inhale only lightly? Also, how do we know that smokers aren't also more likely to have other unhealthy behaviors? Also, what about this friend of a friend who smoked 2 packs a day and lived to be 90 and got hit by a truck?

All of these are actually really good arguments. Defining a behavior or trait is not always exact. There are always exceptions to the definitions. There are always confounding variables. And there are always anecdotes about people who don't follow the trend, or sometimes entire populations that don't follow the trend. But even after all of that, I still accept that smoking is bad for people's health.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

glowing-fish posted:

Well, though, how do we define smokers? Because everyone has really smoked at least once in their life? And if we define smokers as say, 10 or more cigarettes a day, what about all the people who smoke 9 cigarettes a day? Won't ignoring them just ruin our data? Also, what about cigar smokers? What about people who inhale only lightly? Also, how do we know that smokers aren't also more likely to have other unhealthy behaviors? Also, what about this friend of a friend who smoked 2 packs a day and lived to be 90 and got hit by a truck?

All of these are actually really good arguments. Defining a behavior or trait is not always exact. There are always exceptions to the definitions. There are always confounding variables. And there are always anecdotes about people who don't follow the trend, or sometimes entire populations that don't follow the trend. But even after all of that, I still accept that smoking is bad for people's health.
When the CDC or any other organization says that smokers have a shorter life span, they absolutely loving define what a smoker is. There is a whole methodology behind the the claim they are making, and that is literally the thing you're ignoring in every single one of your data points.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Gerund posted:

College education doesn't really mean anything especially if Religious Indoctrination College is equated the same as Liberal Arts University.

But, like, how can we say that, because then we are equating cigar smokers with cigarette smokers. Also, what if someone if totally fit in every way, but they smoke a few cigarettes a week?

Are we saying that someone who is 500 pounds and has diabetes is going to have a longer lifespan than someone who exercises regularly, is very fit, but smokes a few times a week? CHECKMATE STATISTICS! CHECKMATE DEMOGRAPHICS.

Educational attainment is one category that can be used to analyze how populations act. It isn't true in every situation, but across populations, and across large enough numbers, the correlation can't be dismissed just by mentioning situations where it might not hold.

In a lot of states in the South, college education isn't a demographic marker for political preference, because many of those people did go to conservative religious colleges, and also many of those people's economic status is more important than their educational status. In Oregon and Washington, where there are less religious institutions, this is less of a factor, and IN GENERAL, education is a good demographic marker of political preference.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Die Sexmonster! posted:

This is the general PNW chat thread, you literally just admitted that. Can you not see you've hijacked it?

I said it awhile ago, I'll say it again: this discussion should be its own thread.

Go find the OP and tell him I've hijacked his thread, then!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I have no idea what :iiaca: brought to the conversation outside of it just seeming more and more as though glow fish is flinging crap at a wall looking for patterns without realizing he's unwittingly created his own personal rorschach test.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

glowing-fish posted:

But, like, how can we say that, because then we are equating cigar smokers with cigarette smokers. Also, what if someone if totally fit in every way, but they smoke a few cigarettes a week?

Are we saying that someone who is 500 pounds and has diabetes is going to have a longer lifespan than someone who exercises regularly, is very fit, but smokes a few times a week? CHECKMATE STATISTICS! CHECKMATE DEMOGRAPHICS.

Educational attainment is one category that can be used to analyze how populations act. It isn't true in every situation, but across populations, and across large enough numbers, the correlation can't be dismissed just by mentioning situations where it might not hold.

In a lot of states in the South, college education isn't a demographic marker for political preference, because many of those people did go to conservative religious colleges, and also many of those people's economic status is more important than their educational status. In Oregon and Washington, where there are less religious institutions, this is less of a factor, and IN GENERAL, education is a good demographic marker of political preference.
What point are you even trying to make here

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

coyo7e posted:

I have no idea what :iiaca: brought to the conversation outside of it just seeming more and more as though glow fish is flinging crap at a wall looking for patterns without realizing he's unwittingly created his own personal rorschach test.

So you really think that me equating educational obtainment to voting patterns as a general demographic trend, at least in some places, is me just imagining patterns that aren't there?

If I said "African-American voters are more likely to vote Democratic", would you believe the same thing? Would you accuse me of inventing patterns for the sake of it, if I made such a claim?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

glowing-fish posted:

So you really think that me equating educational obtainment to voting patterns as a general demographic trend, at least in some places, is me just imagining patterns that aren't there?
Yes.

glowing-fish posted:

If I said "African-American voters are more likely to vote Democratic", would you believe the same thing? Would you accuse me of inventing patterns for the sake of it, if I made such a claim?
No, because other, more reputable people have made this claim before, and someone, somewhere, is willing to substantiate the claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

I'm very community minded.

I'm very loving minded, where should I go?

• Locked thread