Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The homophobic cake company family in OR went out of their way to contact the media and share uncensored information about the gay couple in question (among other things) and start a shitstorm, and were subsequently fined for damages resulting from the media shitstorm and what then happened to the homosexual couple.. Up to and including the lesbian couples' religiously-devout family members cutting off contact and keeping them from contacting other relatives, cutting them out of a family will, upsetting their adopted kid, etc, iirc.

The christian baker couple then went on to try and run some kickstarters and poo poo for christian baking companies or something, and eventually went media silent.

I'm pretty sure they weren't from Portland either, they were from some redneck outlying town. edit: yeah, gresham (named after a Civil War general, mind you! :laugh: ) http://www.snopes.com/2015/07/03/sweet-cakes-melissa-damages/

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SeaborneClink posted:

Burrito Boy is always the correct answer.
Burrito Boy has thumb-sized cockroaches in half of their shops, and they charge like 50 cents to throw in onions or tomatoes.

Burrito Amigos will sell you a Bean & Cheese burrito, and then add in tomato, onion, cilantro, and salsa for free. Rice is like 25 cents extra. The owner of the place is a pint-sized dictator but he keeps the stores and carts and delivery trucks spotless despite being the latin twin of a really, really sketchy boss I used to work for.

Also Burrito Boy is poo poo for consistent bean quality, and I'e had steel scrub pads in my burritos three times, and 0 times from anywhere else in Eugene. They can keep their cockroaches.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have eaten at Burrito Boy for more than a decade, and have never seen anything like what you describe. The Franklin restaurant more than any other, but also the one down near the bus station, the one on West 11th and the newer one on Chambers street. I'm not sure when or where you had your experience, but it doesn't track with my own at all.

I used to have lunch at the one on Franklin several times a week since I worked within walking distance, and they were always good. :shrug:
Can confirm inconsistent beans and steel scrub pads from Franklin. Yes their little foil-wrapped effigy of the kids who ate their every night is cute, but when my burrito is too salty to finish or the beans are too hard because someone put too much vinegar and salt in too early once or twice a week, I get tired of giving them second chances. Definitely have roaches in there, and at the bus station location.

They also deliver the beans and stuff to their other locations, which is probably how I got steel shavings in my burrito at the bus station as well.

SyHopeful posted:

Muchas Gracias has gone downhill hard in the last several years. All of their meat is half gristle and other chewy bits.
Muchas Gracias has been closing stores like crazy, I suspect due to health code violations after I found pubes in my fish tacos at the one on Franklin (which was shortly closed after that, and then turned into a chicken place that closed)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 3, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

a rowdy mullet posted:

NOAA is predicting rain and 70MPH gusts in my neighborhood in normally sleepy NE Seattle Tuesday. With the totally waterlogged ground everyone in Western WA needs to start getting ready ASAP to lose power for a fair bit :siren:

E: from NOAA
http://www.king5.com/videos/news/local/2015/11/18/76025974/

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah, PNW fisherpeople are mostly ignorant, white, and angry about being proud of it. I've had them threaten to come to my house and fistfight me because I said that I thought it would be cool to take a picture of the plates and person of a poacher in the act, and then text them to the authorities. It's less about the fish and more about their cultural heritage as white settlers who feel that native americans are trying to take away their birthright. It was the same thing with the farmers in klamath falls being upset that the fed was cutting off their irrigation water to protect the remaining dregs of salmon, and they still blamed the native population.

It's impossible to impart the irony of a white dude claiming his family's 100 year-old claim on land as heritage, and how he then turns around and laughs at a native american who would like that water to keep the fish alive in the river that used to be there. Even if that farmer's an avid fisherman.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Reason posted:

weather has been fun the passed couple days!
really impressive lightning show today driving south from Eugene, lightning hit the Jeremiah quarry on sears rd like whoah, I don't think any goats were harmed

I woke up this morning thinking the trains were out of hand because they kept linking for like 20-30 seconds, but it was thunder :krad:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

oxbrain posted:

http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/tacoma/2014/12/09/transportation-gas-tax-pay-by-mile/20134161/

Every time I heard of this I thought it was a joke. How the hell is it going to be efficient to produce and support millions of gps devices and somehow be cheaper than a gas tax?
Love it. As long as they figure out how to cover all those out of state trucks. And also everybody else on the road. But mainly they have to cover big rigs from out of state.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Don't make fun of us, we'll serve you fake arrest warrants. Please pay your fines in real US dollars - not monopoly money.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=932794100150096

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Shots fired during arrest in Oregon; one dead

After hearing this podcast, https://homebrave.squarespace.com/home-of-the-brave//absolutely-god-told-us-to-do-this I literally laughed out loud when I saw the newspaper this morning about those loving idiots.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Has anyone done a study as to why certain topics produce long, passionate arguing over others? It'd be interesting if there were specific components that when mashed together could reliably produce endless, boring debate. For example, take bikechat. Is it because the solution seems unclear to people, and both evidence and anecdotes seem to contradict each other? Is it because everyone has an anecdotes, and therefore have a stronger reaction to the issue because of their personal connection? The accessibility of the issue might also be relevant, or perhaps people perceive the issue as easily understandable and thus resolvable (head = pavement = death, obviously mandate helmets, vs statistics show more deaths from helmets, never wear one). And, that accessibility makes it easy for people just joining the argument to rehash previously said material.
I don't know any studies but I've seen a few write ups which simply conclude that "people in cars hate people on bikes for being in their space," and "people on bikes feel threatened by angry and aggressive car drivers who could kill them at any time just by menacing them with their vehicle at a bad moment."

There is also the common assumption that anyone over 25 and not in spandex on a bicycle is probably poor or cannot drive for some nefarious reasoning, so anyone who isn't dressed out like Lance Armstrong is probably homeless or can't afford to drive and is otherwise an impediment to the normal workings of real 'muricans.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 13, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FetusSlapper posted:

Common? Sounds more like an uncommon projection.
Yup. I used to think that way and still do about every mustached 40 year old in flannel riding along hwy 99 toward JC...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

HEY NONG MAN posted:

This is sort of off-topic and not helpful after-the-fact, but I had the EXACT same thing happen to me in Alaska one time and I used my bike as a fence between me and a pissed-off pit bull for about 1/4 mile in order to keep from getting bit.
Yeah this works great... If you have the time to stop and get your bike between you and the dog. A lot of aggressive dogs don't necessarily bark to give you advance warning first - especially if they're chasing something/someone.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

xrunner posted:

Every time I try to make the left onto Caesar Chavez from Division, I get stuck behind three cars with Washington plates. They never pull up into the intersection to anticipate the turn so sometimes we go an entire light cycle without a car getting through. You can get two cars through there each light cycle if people turning left know how to drive.
Saw a dude with WA plates literally pull onto the shoulder in heavy gridlock, then throw a can of what looked like a beer at a car which had been in front of him. Then he sped off down the shoulder - no way was I gonna block that fucker from getting in the lane, he was nuts and needed to get to Olympia way more than I did.

WA drivers are the new CA drivers, for Oregonians.

And I've had way more assholes with WA plates in cruise control blocking up the left lane for 20+ miles at a stretch.

edit: Can we go back to something resembling an actual D&D talk about politics and local issues and whatever, instead of traffic talk, though? This has been a like 5 or 6 page derail.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 28, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pander posted:

Latter, just playing off the ole joke. I've been in Vancouver way more than Portland so far and it's pretty very extremely white.
I've always been curious, is MLK Blvd in Portland like, literally a historical redline district? And did they name it MLK ironically, or not?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Seattle Times once again asking the important questions: http://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/what-really-happens-when-a-transgender-person-uses-a-locker-room/

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Vavrek posted:

They would fail, and the State of Jefferson would finally be established, ranging roughly from Redding to Medford.
I was listening to the Backstory Podcast episode on the history of american militias, and had no idea just how ridiculous and coincidental the State of Jefferson militia-mens' protest was. It was really fascinating and :laffo: to hear about their threats to continue their rebellion Every Thursday until their needs were met, and how history kind of steamrolled over them in two entire weeks due to greater things occurring in the world which actually ended up making a lot of their demands get met simply due to the federal government's sudden need for the resources they had in the area.

Also hearing local NPR hosts :fap: about State of Jefferson for more than half my life, takes on an entirely new light when you hear about how it was a bunch of angry, ignorant rural people waving guns, coached on how to dress and act by a savvy reporter and not some high-minded idealism started up by starbucks-sipping, educated public radio fans.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 15, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

glowing-fish posted:

:nms:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/dead-dog-found-raped-hung-from-tree-in-rural-thurston-county/

Along with how disturbing this is just by itself, people who do this type of thing often go on to hurt people.
I for one am calling for white christians to keep an eye on their white christian neighbors, and report any suspicious activity to the authorities.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cicero posted:

Thinking about moving to Munich and I've been investigating the suburbs there. It looks like their model has a bunch of towns that are still sort of dense, with most people living within walking or biking distance of the S-Bahn (commuter rail) station. There's still some parking, but not a huge amount. See: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Olching,+Germany/@48.2084207,11.3235209,3445m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x479e7edcd650216f:0x41e48add78b9780

It kind of seems like sprawl of the sort that American cities built out in the post-WW2 era simply doesn't work terribly well with any kind of transit, and trying to get it to work well will involve some major downsides (like incredibly expensive parking garages).
Well there is the small difference of Munich being blown the gently caress up and then completely being rebuilt post-WW2, whereas in America, things never got destroyed so it just sort accreted over time.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cicero posted:

:psyduck:

This makes, like, no sense. How do you get from, "America was untouched by WW2" to "therefore It Must Needs Be that we would choose low-density sprawl".
Seems pretty obvious to me.

When a city is destroyed and then must rebuild, there is the potential to rebuild in a more efficient manner. There was also the psychological shadow of having a foreign country still occupying half of another major city in the same nation and pretty close by, on top of simply not having as much geographical space available to sprawl out across, like America had.

When there is a nation which is in a post-war boom and still living with the specter of fear from a very recent economic depression, people respond by building as luxuriously as possible according to their psychology. America's psyche is all about 2.3 kids with a nice yard and 2 cars in every garage, mixed in with the romance of what seems like unlimited room to grow. The great depression only ended in 1939 - that's just six years before the end of the war, and people wanted to have a safe and comfortable life rather than living in a dustbowl of a farm, or in a tenement building, on top of experience the high of being able to believe in their own exceptionalism.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 1, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BraveUlysses posted:

Are you being obtuse or do you need an explanation of what skilled labor is?

I think that it's a good wage for the type of work performed. I'm not arguing for a change one way or the other, just pointing out that even the lowest wage rate paid to IAM machinists is a really good wage. No matter what rate your job is, after six years at that grade you get bumped to the maximum rate.

http://www.iam751.org/pages/wagecard/Back_031116.pdf
I know plenty of people around Oregon with a high school education and a forklift permit, who make $20-$28 an hour. It's loving absurd. Also a guy I grew up with makes a retarded amount of money clambering around hillsides and marking trees for harvest however, he is pretty loving skilled and does have a job that most people couldn't even do a full day of since it involves hiking around steep hillsides in often heavy brush.. He's always made a grip of money ever since he graduated high school and started out pulling green-chain, but I recall a few years ago him mentioning offhandedly in response to my brother asking just how much money he makes a year, that he "wouldn't leave the house for work for less than 600 bucks a day."

Or look at the pay grades for basic clerical work at your local muni court. Bunch of useless, slow, assholish fat ladies who make $25+/hr to literally just make copies of forms, collect fees from behind bulletproof glass, and occasionally update change said forms from explicitly laid-out instructions. I mean it does take a year of community college courses but it's literally nothing but filing paperwork and making copies.. A monkey could do most of the job with enough training.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Reason posted:

At least they have an OK ice cream shop and.... yeah nothing else.
I was talking to some people up from CA today at the dog park, and the woman mentioned how she missed Sonoma because it had a bitchin' ice cream shoppe.

I'll be sure to remember and send their type to the tiny towns off the I-5 corridor because I'd never thought of it before but you're totally right.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Same. I smiled for like a whole week just due to remembering that that fuckstick was dead.
Speaking of fucksticks blocking progress, write your congressman about passing the KHSA and KBRA, PacifiCorps has been begging for someone to take those four dams off their hands so they can be safely removed for easily a decade, and the only thing stopping it being effected is lack of action by our elected representatives.

If you're interested I can provide a buttload of info on it after writing a research paper on the effects of sediment re-release on watersheds after the last few dam removals in the US.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Accretionist posted:

If you made an effort-post, I'd read it.
It may take me a week or two to get around to it as I'm in the process of moving and am still working out utilities and internet next week.

That said though, here's some stuff that might be interesting:

The KHSA is the Klmath HYdro-electric SOmething Agreement.... It basically it an agreement for the company that owns all of the dams along the Klamath river, to pass over ownership because they will otherwise be forced to pay hundreds of millions' worth of repair costs to get all four dams up to current laws and code. Native peolpe from the greater klamath basin (OR + CA!) have been working on this fight for at last a couple decades including showing up at a PacifiCorps shareholder meeting in Scotland http://www.klamathbasincrisis.org/tribes/buffalofilm111006.htm (this docu "Salmon on the Backs of Buffalo" is a 30-45 minute tape which mostly involves native protestors speaking to elderly rich scottish people who've never seen an Indian before, and it was super effective, but the tape is not worth looking up for education regarding the science of dams and dam removal and related watersheds and animal populations, imho).

-Main point of the above paragraph is that the owner of ALL the dams already wants to pass them on and have them demolished etc - the shareholders are hippies and like fish. And, that it's been written up three times - congress votes it down each time because *reasons* (I'm not even joking. I will follow up on this but if you dont' believe lobbyists can get a congressman to keep a failing dam from being demolished to restore trees and animals...)

The removal of those four dams WILL cost around 1 billion dollars.. However the cost of getting those dams up to current regulations is way higher.

Stuff like this seems to be par for the course - massive recovery and/or bounce-backs within 2-4 years.
https://news.osu.edu/news/2015/12/28/river-ecosystems/

quote:

Tonra and his colleagues spent four years in Washington’s Olympic National Park and surrounding tribal, federal and private lands. The Elwha River winds through the park and is the site of the largest dam removal in history. Crews started tearing down the Elwha and Glines Canyon dams in 2011 and concluded in 2014, freeing the path for migratory fish for the first time in a century.
In one study, the researchers documented that American dippers with access to salmon were in better physical condition and more likely to attempt multiple broods of offspring in a season. They also produced larger female offspring and were more likely to stay in breeding territories year-round. The research, published early online, will appear in an upcoming issue of the journal Ecography.

Tonra and his colleagues worked along four streams, three of which were blocked to salmon either by waterfalls or dams. They banded the birds, weighed them and collected blood samples. They looked at carbon and nitrogen in the birds’ blood to determine their level of marine-derived nutrient intake.

The research team watched for multiple attempts to breed and an inclination to stay in the nesting area year-round, and tracked what type of food was delivered to nestlings.

The birds with salmon access had more marine-derived nutrients and were 20 times more likely to attempt multiple broods. They were 13 times more likely to stay year-round and had an annual adult survival rate that was 11 percent higher than their salmon-deprived peers.

The KBRA I haven't looked into as much because I've been more interested in the ecosystem and sustainability side of poo poo.. It seems at first blush to be reparatations of native americans though, so I'm a little leery of wading into it with my big fat white rear end

One of the challenging/interesting portions of these dam removals is that there aren't a ton of examples which can be used as a base metric for other similar projects. From what I've seen collected by both private and federal/state data so far though, the ultimate summary is that the amount of sediment which builds up above a dam (and which ultimately ends the lifecycle of the facility) can and will cause massive regrowth along a river's banks which has been dammed, and that fish which have literally been unable to travel past a dam for more than 100 years can and do end arrive upstream in the scores of thousands in the *first year* after a dam is removed.

DamNation is online for free and it's way hipper and on-topic than any other documentary I've come across thus far although, apparently Scotland has been removing a lot fo their own dams for similar reasons with remarkable results - which is why the protestors at that Scottish PacifiCorp shareholder meeting were so successful, they had a receptive audience with similar experience. http://damnationfilm.com/watch-the-film

I'll post more stuff with info in a day or three, I'm in the midst of packing up my house to sell and moving so I may be gone for half a week or more coming up rather shortly. I was going to OIT in Klamth Falls back in the 90s and spent some time protesting and then just kind of avoiding the water wars because they were flat-out violent if you got caught on the street, so this whole topic sort of flopped into my lap accidentally and hit close to home for a bunch of reasons, from fishing, to having been there during actual anti-protestor violence, so always having wondered why Klamth Lake was so loving gross and why nobody at all would swim in it

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 7, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tulalip Tulips posted:

The delay/cancellation of the Puget Sound fishing season for sport and commercial fishermen has brought out a bunch of "Indians should have died off" sentiments to the surface and pretty much everyone I've heard going off on it is all about the Trump.

I got to hear a great uncle go on about how the only reason Trump's casino ventures have failed is because he wasn't Native and it's all a conspiracy to defraud the white man.
There are a hell of a lot of angry rednecks and I'd venture to say that most of them fish and/or hunt. They're often happy to wax :jerkbag: philosophical about shooting anything that upsets them. Natives and their nets are much the same as cormorants and sea lions to those guys who feel like they own the river - except there are more sea lions and cormorants each year as time passes..

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Meydey posted:

I have a friend who has a house in Pacific that he cannot sell. The only way he will get out of it is if the lahar takes it out.
My house in Eugene was literally sold before I'd decided to put it on the market.. Like I named a price and someone took 45 seconds and then said, "deal." Closes in a week, and I'm selling it for 15 percent more than I bought it despite not doing any upgrades.

I'd expected to need to move out and do some repairs and list it all summer, not to mention finding a realtor, but nope. Housing is hot right now.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

xrunner posted:

You're funny. Taxes and regulation aren't the problem. It's the fact that everything being built is being built for the wealthy.
This is the biggest, saddest sack of QQ "I can't do anything because the world is rigged against me!" bullshit.

I bought my house like, 6 years ago, for 140k. I was making like $18/hr at the time. Got laid off shortly after and spent 2 yrs unemployed. Still paid off the house payments each month, and still kept all my ducks in a row.

I just sold that property for 173k within 2 weeks of making the internal decision to sell it. That is neither an unreachable goal for your average family (plus the house is surrounded by a series of K-12 schools which were ALL rebuilt in the last 12 months) or an unreachable goal for your average loner bachelor, like I was when I bought the place 5 or 6 years ago. It closes Monday. I never even bothered to list it or find a realtor - because a random human off the street just walked up and immediately took the first asking price I threw out.

Yep, everything is totally geared toward the wealthy. :jerkbag:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 11, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It's a little sad that after all these years of worrying that the government was going to take away their guns and freedoms, those guys managed to convince the government to do exactly that.

Now if we can get the BLM to purchase Lavoy Finicum's property we can turn it into a nature reserve, I would die happy

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BrandorKP posted:

They do, do that, purchase environmentally sensitive properties to let them rewild. I know somebody whose job it used to be.
Yeah I get that, I just think it would be the perfect ending to this story - Finicum's terrible choices and idiotic beliefs led to his death and then eventually to financial ruin for his family, who get RICO'd or just are forced to sell. I saw in the Oregonian a couple days ago that Finicum's cattle are still on that land and they aren't paying for the grazing this year either.

The ultimate Darwin Award, if you will.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

anthonypants posted:

Allegedly, undercover/plainclothes cops were in the crowd that he was pointing his gun at, and it took like 10-15 minutes before uniformed cops took him away.
Yet he was not charged with assaulting officers?

Seriously!? Nobody carries 5 spare magazines for "protection," that's like 10 pounds of gear between the handgun the belt and all those mags. Unless your expectation is that you'll be forced to fight off literally a hundred people.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Is that even a thing, the right to have non-monitored communications while incarcerated, in order to conduct a personal Dick Tracy sleuthing expedition via phone, with potential witnesses? :psyduck:

I mean pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is one thing but christ man, just read a book or something and let your lawyer hire a P.I. or some poo poo, like normal humans do.

glowing-fish posted:

The gift that keeps giving...just keeps giving.

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burns-oregon-standoff-bundy-militia-news-updates/malheur-ryan-bundy-alleged-jail-escape-foiled/

What is funny is at this point, they aren't even really trying to punish him. They just know he is a jackass who does dumb poo poo and somehow thinks he is going to magically escape problems.
A chair?! How the gently caress do you smuggle an entire chair into your cell? Also, aren't they supposed to count sheets and pillowcases so nobody pulls this kind of poo poo anymore.

Is Ryan Bundy mentally disabled or something? He looks like he either got kicked in the face by a horse, or spent most of his time in the womb drunk. I used to know a cowboy who got his head stepped on by a bull while bullriding, and he was not playing with a full deck of cards after that, and spent a lot of time committed.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 20, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

glowing-fish posted:

If someone wanted to talk with witnesses, he could, in a privileged communication, tell his attorney how to investigate the case, but couldn't conduct the investigation himself.
Thanks this was exactly what I was assuming. I used to know a P.I. and a ton of the work he talked about doing was for attorneys - tailing and monitoring people, knocking and talking on doors to find witnesses, etc. Mainly he made it sound like it was divorce and custody fights. He looked a lot like the cheerleader's dad in Heroes, just your average dad-looking dude in dorky glasses, but he very much did all the sleuth/detective work that this Bundy is trying to do over the phone, on his own, while locked up.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 21, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

glowing-fish posted:

Did you pick it specifically because it was the best combination of cheap and close? Like, basically I am working over the quadratic equation in my head: how is the closest I can get to an urban atmosphere while still paying non-urban prices?
A lot of this is how you define urban atmosphere. You might look up some youtube videos on urban planning principles to make sure you're taking all the elements you value into account, because it's pretty easy to not think about a couple things when finding somewhere to live, and then later regretting overlooking them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
it reads like a reggae song. "I ryan c, man, rule i an' i for all eternity!"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

koreban posted:

The commenters in that article....
I bit. I think my favorite one is where they compare Strickland to BLM protestors taking Bernie's mic on-stage, and thus say he was justified in starting a gunfight with an unarmed crowd.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah I have been seeing some facebook post/meme things about satanist schools and daycare, often either super upset, or "doesn't this sound like the most boring poo poo ever?"

I'd rather take 4 full years of religion classes at a satanist high school than I had to at a Catholic one where I was only required 3.5 of math and 3 of science though.

Also I just figured the girl in the pic on that article was just a Shadowrun cosplayer until i read the blurb

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Anybody hear about this before? http://iiicitadel.com/about.html

Literally trying to build a castle in Idaho to keep out the liberals and illegals.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

foobardog posted:

I'd be all "Good, go gently caress off" if I didn't figure this would eventually become Waco 2019.
I love that in a world where you can find or make explosives and wrecking equipment in any number of places, these guys actually think that a nice big wall will protect them from government troops and mad max style raiding parties.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

anthonypants posted:

Their argument is that the cops started those fires, and, cops being cops, it's really difficult to tell which side is right.
Oh I remember that video where it supposedly shows a tank shooting fire into the building. drat that was a long time ago.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ardennes posted:

Well the abuse of the use of force should be abstracted from its target, in both cases they were quite clearly stepped over a line. Also it does foreshadow the militarization of police forces across the US during the 2000s.
The ironic bit is that the police and ATF got all that military gear because of the war on drugs, which those religious folks who don't like dark skin would otherwise be 110% behind - except oops once you've got a hammer every problem is a nail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pander posted:

:mediocre:

Jesus loving christ I thought moving from the midwest would REDUCE the KKK quotient.
Naw there's plenty, especially in northwest washington. https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map

edit: for funsies, compare that map to the chosen location of that libertarian castle complex. I wonder if they picked that place because they like the neighbors.

Eugene's been trying to respond to a long string of anti-asian graffiti and vandalism recently, and there's plenty of trucks with rebel flags attached to a pole on them. I mean I ran into this guy at Jerry's once, and I have always felt that it sums up most of the PNW pretty well:

SyHopeful posted:

Went and played around on some old logging roads with another Xterra yesterday. Was great to get out and find an excuse to put it in 4WD haha.
Well at least you weren't taking pictures of your food. But getting out of the car and running up the road to get an "action shot"? :ughh:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 23, 2016

• Locked thread