Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

BlueBlazer posted:

Comcast outages on lake union are pushing to 5% downtime over the last week.

This poo poo has been happening in Portland too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Cicero posted:

At least Portland is supposed to get Google Fiber right?

Yes*

*May not serve some specific neighborhoods, or the poorer sections of town, or...

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

With a headline like this, I wonder if CNN is covering this impartially?
http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/24/news/economy/seattle-marxist-minimum-wage/
Edit: read article, not too bad, headline still hilarious.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 27, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

To expand on this: people are nice here, but they're not friendly in the way you're used to. Many people here (and I include myself in this, although I'm not a native) find it uncomfortable to make small talk with strangers about the weather or sports or whatever. My theory is that it's some combination of historical Scandinavian stoicism and socially awkward tech types moving here.

Anecdotally, this is what I hear people from the South and Midwest complain about the most when they come here.

Yes, you will probably develop a "crew" to hit shows and/or bars, or whatever your thing is before too long, but you probably won't know too much (real poo poo) about these people beyond a last name and a phone number (if that).

(assuming you're young and single) If you ever see the inside of someone's home and you're not loving, or family, than you're about to be either loving or (as close as) family.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

FRINGE posted:

The bottom turns to ice quick in Seattle even when it doesnt feel that cold.

TBH this happens in Oregon too, it's just so far down the list of "reasons everybody loses their goddamn minds at the sight of snow." that it doesn't get brought up as often.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

mod sassinator posted:

Eat as much barbeque as you can before you leave Texas. There is no good BBQ in the entire PNW, and certainly no good Texas style BBQ. The only stuff you'll find is sickly sweet Kansas City crap that's drowning in sauce.

The secret to good BBQ up here is that it will never be found in a restaurant here. The folks who know what's up tend to keep it at home.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Chantilly Say posted:

A good guy with two guns.

:colbert:

So a good guy with all the guns can save the world?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I know this isn't really fair, but I tend to have a hard time remembering that Idaho is generally thought of as being in the Pacific Northwest.

As a native Oregonian, I tend to feel a kinship with Washington and Northern California, but not so much Idaho.

That's because you lack the blood of Jesus.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 18, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Believe me, the panhandle is VERY mormon as well.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

mod sassinator posted:

Move to Forks.

He said Conan the barbarian land, not sparkle-vampire land.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Internet Webguy posted:

I'm sure they'll find a nice Renesmee or Edward to imprint on and settle down with.

I recognize that these are words in english, but I'm completely unable to parse this.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Welp. :suicide:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

computer parts posted:

Organic (i.e., non GMO) produce is also produced by industrial farming you dummy.

Someday I'd love to see some inorganic produce. Like would it be made of silicon? diamond?
I bet that'd be a sight.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Winkle-Daddy posted:

I think the idea of patenting certain gene sequences makes them uneasy; me included. I'm not sure we understand the implications of that just yet with the rapid speed that this area is moving with. Labeling "GMO" foods is loving retarded, though.

Exactly this.

E: gently caress, this kind of thing applies to Nuclear power too. Too many anti-science fuckheads are crying about old information on old designs developed in the 50s and 60s. The state of things has advanced greatly since then, and we would all benefit from a bit more of a level-headed look at nuclear power. (Not that it's perfect by any stretch, but it's better than coal, and fracking).

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 4, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

gently caress corn, corn subsidies, and Monsanto

Yes, hate them for being bastards, not because GMOs.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Thanatosian posted:

Me, too.

Not because I hate guns, but because I hate the people who think they're the most important thing in the universe.

I love guns and shooting guns, but this is objective truth.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

FRINGE posted:

I cant imagine that being a widespread source of anger.

You would be so loving surprised.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Thirded.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Magres posted:

Seems like the same idea as antibiotic resistant germs. Thoughts?

But-but questioning any part of the validity of gmos as they are currently used is literally the same as being an anti-vaxxer or anti-fluoride! :byodood:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Well, if you don't consider better taste and texture to be a benefit, I suppose.

Look, I'm with you on most points with this issue but the above quoted is placebo at best and complete and utter bullshit at worst.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
There are other kinds of disabilities that a service dog can be necessary for besides blindness.

Also, gently caress you. Pitbulls make better working dogs than labs, retrievers, german shepards, etc.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ardennes posted:

They are great at assaulting random pedestrians. Good work if you can get it.

Nope, but thanks for playing.
I am talking about trained service animals, not the poor animal your trailer trash uncle-loving cousin keeps on a chain to look tough.

Pitbulls as a breed have a lower human aggression than any of the other breeds I mentioned above. They are smart, take very well to training, and tend toward much more even temperaments.

They do have a higher animal aggression on average, but that can be ameliorated with training on the part of both owner and animal.

I work with dogs every loving day, pitbulls aren't even my top 10 for dogs I'm wary of handling.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

dogs are cool, if i lived in a place with a backyard instead of an apartment i'd have a dog. going for walks with dogs is also cool

taking dogs into every store, acting like it's your god-given right and calling an employee a dick when they say that a store with lots of uncovered fresh food is maybe not the best of places to take your dog is not cool

Yes, this is reasonable.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ardennes posted:

Compared to the amount of pitpulls I have seen, the trained ones have been minimal compared to the super-aggressive ones. You can blame "Oregon trailer-born trash" for the problem but if I had a kid in a store and a pitpull owner rolled in, if I had any sense I would keep them away as far as possible

I don't blame soceer moms for freaking out, if the pitpull rips up your kid, it is going to impact you more than the owner.

Oh?
How many pitbulls have you seen?
I have no doubt I've seen more, by an order of magnitude.

I've seen dog-fight dogs, dogs that have attacked other animals and people viciously.

you are doing nothing more than parroting the "anti-science" bullshit the news spews out. And by doing so you ensure the continuation of the abuse those dogs suffer.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ardennes posted:

And what are people suppose to do if the Pitbulls they see on the street are continually aggressive? You can throw "anti-science" as a defense but at the end of the day, the dogs are aggressive enough for people to be fearful and it is largely because of their owners. I know I have learned to be watchful when they are around, and if I had a small dog, I would lift it in case. If you want to say statistically pitpulls are loving animals, that is fine, but in reality, it makes far more sense to protect yourself than trust someone who very likely is out of it or malicious.

To be clear, I agree it isn't the breed necessarily but the owners but I don't trust the owners one inch and trying to use the "science" defense to defend people being lovely is a lost cause. Even if you say they are far in the minority, they are obviously common enough to be a real problem with people.

Then loving say something if some cheesedick is being reckless or mistreating a dog. Say something to a store employee, call animal control if someone's leaving an animal chained up or off leash.

Crying about bloodthirsty remorseless baby shredders does nothing but make those animals more attractive to the exact type of rear end in a top hat who should never, ever have one.

I can sympathize with your point of view, I really can. I have a 2 year old, and I'd be way more on edge with my kid around a lab, retriever, shepard, chihuahua, rottweiler, sheltie, shiba inu, doberman, etc. Etc. Etc. Than I would around any pit in my nearest shelter.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

CaptainSarcastic posted:

In my personal experience, almost all the pit bulls I've met have been very sweet dogs, but I wouldn't characterize them as smart.
You'd be very surprised, but they do require a deft touch and an understanding of how they're motivated. But it's a fair point.

quote:

The demonization they are currently undergoing reminds me of how German shepherds and dobermans (especially dobermans) were viewed in the 1970s.

THIS, SO loving MUCH.

quote:

e: Also, any dog that isn't a service animal should wait outside the grocery store - dogs do not belong in stores.
Reminder that while I defend the use of service dogs (of all breeds), I'm completely on board with this sentiment.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

I CAN POST LINKS TO THINGS TOO! :byodood:

quote:

The media narrative has played a major role in today’s depiction of pit bulls as a dangerous, unpredictable dog. The reality is, most dog bites are not reported nor do their stories make into the headlines giving the community a false sense of security with other breeds while creating an unfair perception of pit bulls.

Source: http://www.hamiltonhumane.com/services/pit-bull-education/hshc-pitbull-information

quote:

A study by the National Canine Research Council reveals biased reporting by the media,its devastating consequences for dogs and the toll it takes on public safety.

Consider how the media reported four incidents that happened between August 18th and August 21st, 2007:
  • August 18, 2007 – A Labrador mix attacked a 70-year-old man sending him to the hospitalin critical condition. Police officers arrived at the scene and the dog was shot after charging the officers. This incident was reported in one article and only in the local paper.
  • August 19, 2007 – A 16-month old child received fatal head and neck injuries after being attacked by a mixed breed dog. This attack was reported two times by the local paper only.
  • August 20, 2007 – A 6-year-old boy was hospitalized after having his ear torn off and receiving severe bites to the head by a medium-sized mixed breed dog.This attack was reported in one article and only in the local paper.
  • August 21, 2007 – A 59-year-old woman was attacked in her home by two Pit bulls and was hospitalized with severe injuries. This attack was reported in over two hundred and thirty articles in national and international newspapers, as well as major television news networks, including CNN, MSNBC and FOX.

“Clearly a fatal dog attack by an unremarkable breed is not as newsworthy as a non-fatal attack by a pit bull” says Karen Delise, researcher for the National Canine Research Council.

People routinely cite media coverage as “proof” that pit bulls are more dangerous than other dogs. Costly and ineffective public policy decisions are being made on the basis of such “proof”. While this biased reporting is not only lethal to an entire population of dogs; sensationalized media coverage endangers the public by misleading them about the real factors in canine aggression.

Media reports would have you believe that dog bites are on the rise. The reality is the number of dog bites reported has consistently declined... over the last 20 years.

Source: http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com

Some factors that have been proven to contribute to the likelihood of a dog bite include:
  • A chained dog is 2.8 times more likely to bite than an unchained dog.
  • Canines not spayed or neutered are three times more likely to bite than sterilized ones.
  • The list of breeds most involved in both bite injuries and fatalities changes from year to year and from one area of the country to another, depending on the popularity of the breed. The Pit Bull Terrier has consistently increased in popularity over the last 20 years thereby statistically increasing the number of reported bite cases for this breed.

Emphasis mine. Source: National Canine Research Council, Center for Disease Control and Prevention

And from:
Source:http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/images/dogbreeds-a.pdf

quote:

Several interacting factors affect a dog’s propensity to bite, including heredity, sex, early experience, socialization and training, health (medical and behavioral), reproductive status, quality of ownership and supervision, and victim behavior. For example, a study in Denver of medically-attended dog bites in 1991 suggested that male dogs are 6.2 times more likely to bite than female dogs, sexually intact dogs are 2.6 times more likely to bite than neutered dogs, and chained dogs are 2.8 times more likely to bite than unchained dogs 12. Communities have tried to address the dog bite problem by focusing on different factors related to biting behavior.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I didn't realize the "Daily Beast" was a more authoritative source than the loving Humane Society and CDC.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ardennes posted:

The data was the American Kennel Club, as I actually wrote in my post. You're desperate.

Yes, so you said, but I have only your word on it as nothing in your link, or on a cursory google search brings that poo poo up.

What I do see, is copy and paste from loving wikipedia (which is always a dependable and accurate source :jerkbag:) Of several other sites and organizations of unknown provenance talking about Breed Specific Legislation here and across the world (don't even get me fuckin started) and given GMO chat we can all imagine how trustworthy that kind of info actually tends to be.

Here's one of the "sources" footnoted in the bit you quoted, #38 to be specific
http://dogbitelaw.com/dangerous-vicious-dogs/dangerous-and-vicious-dogs.html#meaning
Some ambulance chaser's website. Dude's like Orly Taitz, but with less credibility.

Edit: and as I said there is no link to any statement of any kind from the AKC, any googling of the text you've quoted just leads back to the Daily Beast.
I mean gently caress, dude, you're really undermining your own position here.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 6, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
What is there to directly refute?

You post unsourced facts and figures in response to my sourced arguments.

literally googling the text you posted only leads to wikipedia (and the sources cited in the text don't actually have fuckall to do with our discussion btw, hth)

Or it leads to the daily beast which claims to have AKC data, and yet I can find no such data from the AKC. Again, googling of the figures you quoted only leads me to various forums and yahoo news discussing the very daily beast link you've provided.

loving hell dude, you are literally arguing with me about poo poo I spend all day every day doing. My career. I loving work with dogs, and I counsel people about pitbulls, educating them and dispelling the loving myths that pop up on the news all the time. Every loving day. So be scared or whatever, but just realize your fear has very little to do with reality.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mrit posted:

I will love anything if it has been genetically modified. Inbred dogs or bananas with ears, I want them all.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ardennes posted:

If anything I am a bit worried you can't produce your own data being a professional. Your sources are about media bias of a story and age/Sex differences not exactly what I need.

If you can give me some sourced data on attacks anywhere comparable, link them.

Dude, apparently you never read what I linked:

CDC Study on Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998
http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/images/dogbreeds-a.pdf

which is the primary source cited here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

But if a 20 year study isn't good enough because it's old, here's something more recent:
http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/javma.243.12.1726

From the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association:
Co-occurrence of potentially preventable factors in 256 dog bite–related fatalities (DBRF) in the United States (2000–2009)
(Apologies that this one is behind a paywall, but here's a whitepaper)

From which I will quote:

quote:

Major co-occurrent factors for the 256 DBRFs included absence of an able-bodied person to intervene (n = 223 [87.1%]), incidental or no familiar relationship of victims with dogs (218 [85.2%]), owner failure to neuter dogs (216 [84.4%]), compromised ability of victims to interact appropriately with dogs (198 [77.4%]), dogs kept isolated from regular positive human interactions versus family dogs (195 [76.2%]), owners’ prior mismanagement of dogs (96 [37.5%]), and owners’ history of abuse or neglect of dogs (54 [21.1%]). Four or more of these factors co-occurred in 206 (80.5%) deaths. For 401 dogs described in various media accounts, reported breed differed for 124 (30.9%); for 346 dogs with both media and animal control breed reports, breed differed for 139 (40.2%). Valid breed determination was possible for only 45 (17.6%) DBRFs; 20 breeds, including 2 known mixes, were identified.

quote:

Conclusions and Clinical Relevance — Most DBRFs were characterized by coincident, preventable factors; breed was not one of these. Study results supported previous recommendations for multifactorial approaches, instead of single-factor solutions such as breed-specific legislation, for dog bite prevention.

emphasis mine.

I'm not even going to address your bullshit edit about the chihuahua, of course a bite from a pitbull does more damage, it is a bigger and stronger dog, but the likelihood of being bitten by a chihuahua is several times greater/less predictable, so if you really want to be all "think of the children" about it, you should drat well be more wary of small breeds or actual historically aggressive large breeds, than a pitbull. Like that time a pomeranian killed a baby for no reason at all.

Media bias enters the equation because that's all you are evidently informed by, and that's the misinformation I'm attempting to correct here.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 6, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I can't remember if I saw this first on Salon or on Alternet, but this story from last year came to mind on the subject, particularly the misidentification of dog breeds involved in attacks.

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/05/in_defense_of_the_pitbull_partner/

Here's a fun thing.
http://www.maddiesfund.org/Documents/Resource%20Library/Incorrect%20Breed%20Identification%20Study%20Poster.pdf

glowing-fish posted:

I don't want to get into the breed discussion, since I've read a lot of things and it seems to be non-conclusive.

I like dogs, but I don't always like dog owners. The biggest problem I've noticed with dog owners is them thinking it is my job to adjust to their dogs, and not vice-versa. There are some dog owners who say that there dogs can "sense fear" and that people shouldn't act nervous because it gets the dog started. That may or may not be true, but I don't feel that it is my job to monitor my emotional reactions to suit a dog's need.

A big second to this is the dog that is acting aggressive/excited and the owner says he is "just being friendly" and he is a "big softie" etc. etc. Again, not my job to see into the depths of your dog's soul and discover how he really feels.

Exactly, those dog owners are being cocks and should be told as much.
The only exception is this:
Dogs don't sense fear per se, but they read body language and chase by instinct, if you are close to a dog that you feel is unsafe, move slowly away from it and don't turn your back on it.

EDIT: also, gently caress Cesar Milan a million times. That man is a fraud and the people who listen to his bullshit are a constant source of frustration.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Pitbulls (or dogs misidentified as such) are responsible for 2/3ds of :siren:reported:siren: dog fatalities.

The reporting going on is suspect, and does not accurately reflect reality.

When studied (ie full case histories are examined in available cases, as in the studies linked) a dog's breed was not found to be a factor. Whether they were neutered or not is a factor though, maybe you should go yell at idiots to get their dogs snipped instead?

As always, the responsibility lies with the owner, and maintaining a healthy respect that any big dog is capable of (but not predestined to) loving anyone up with the right triggers. Full stop. This applies to golden retrievers and labs equally as much as the "scary" breeds.

Singling out pitbulls is loving retarded when 80% of those reported attacks were misidentified or the breed found to be inconclusive via genetic testing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
It's cool for the travelling exhibits.
My wife and I went and saw the mummy one and sherlock holmes one and each time also went through the museum. It's a nice lazy afternoon thing, but still cool for adults.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Space Gopher posted:

[City] scores high on the "best places to live" rankings because they usually don't take cost of living into account. Low violent crime, nice amenities, good density, and gorgeous surroundings mean that by a lot of statistical measures it's one of the most pleasant places on the planet to live - as long as you bring lots and lots of money.

PacificNorthwest.txt

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Coeur d'Alene, saddest Coeur.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

glowing-fish posted:

A long time ago, I looked up what Coeur d'Alene means, and it turns out that it meant "Heart of the Awl", which I assumed I had a bad translation because that didn't mean anything.

And then years later, I looked it up and that is what it means, but it is figurative. French traders called the Coeur d'Alene Indians that as a backhanded compliment/insult because they were so shrewd.

So Coeur d'Alene got its name because of racists French people. Or at least, that is the story I've heard.

That story is true.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Magres posted:

Good. gently caress yuppies and all of their FYGM bullshit. San Francisco is what happens when you let that bullshit take over your town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

mod sassinator posted:

So is the wind-pocalypse a bust? I thought we were supposed to get 60+ mph gusts in the evening. There have been a few strong gusts but nothing too bad from what I've seen in Seattle.

Here in portland is a little worse.
A building I used to work in had a chunk of metal from an adjacent building get blown into their 15th floor.
Public transit light rail is hosed
And some trees and fences and poo poo that no one cares about.

• Locked thread