Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Kaal posted:

Hah yeah pretty much. The sufficiency rating of the Sellwood bridge is 2. Just 2%. It's a loving deathtrap. I figure one day it'll drop to 0% and it'll burst like a pinata. Fortunately it should be replaced by the end of next year.

I'm very curious how the national corporate chains are going to try to spin their privatization scheme in Oregon after it crashed and burned in Washington. Raise prices on booze while draining money out of the state funds and killing union jobs? No thanks.

Well we already knew that's what would happen, but the general public is loving moronic greedy assholes and believe any ad that promises lower taxes. I work retail so I see all the greedy poo poo people do every day. Then all the politicians are easily bought, so they can cut any last red tape that remains; like denying the 15$ wage inside seatac.

This was all thanks to the much-touted public referendum system. Can someone kick Tim Eyman back to the south?

I'm just catching up on the thread but thought I'd mention that though we're considered solid blue our last few governor elections have been very close, most even requiring recounts. Plus we have some "dems" that are in name only (like Rodney Tom), so we're not that reliable for national elections, to say nothing of local ones.

Spatula City posted:

Also, there are a disproportionate number of people on the autism scale in this area. :spergin:

I heard that's from all the chemicals boeing dumped into lake washington over the last 100 years. Who knows if it's true.

Edit: Might be true, I won't hold my breath. Even with mail ballots a ton of young people still don't bother voting, and many that still vote (like me) are disillusioned by the 2-party system and vote indy.
\/

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
When I lived in China for a bit it was nice seeing a good city planned out. Dirt cheap lightrail across the whole city, ~30 story apartment buildings every few blocks downtown (so you don't have to commute) with low rents, etc. The culture was pretty weird but at least they're good at urban planning.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tigntink posted:

Publicola has some charts and graphs about the current housing situation.

http://www.seattlemet.com/articles/supply-and-demand-in-seattles-apartment-market-april-2014

Hate to tear away from housing chat but yet again the Seattle Police have shot and killed a man who clearly had no gun. I'm not anti cop or anti gun, I grew up with a mother who was a police officer but I am extremely bothered that they shot a man who only had a knife. Either he was in a very bad situation and felt that he had to rob the bank or he may have been mentally ill. It didn't sound like the man was making any moves towards the police officers with the knife. Why not wait it out? They had him cornered.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2014/04/alleged-bank-robber-fatally-shot-by-seattle-police-identified/

Either that wording is hosed up or it really is incredibly tragic.

Standard Operating Procedure. 2nd amendment guarantees machine guns, not knives! /sarcasm

Did you see the hobo with a knife that 6 ABQ cops were so afraid of they flashbanged him and executed him? Happened a couple weeks ago. Are cops still forced to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-lDtCHFmvg? "I'm never gonna die in no ghetto!"

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm glad to be in Eugene, Oregon rather than in Portland or Seattle. I haven't really spent time in Seattle, but over the last decade I have seen Portland descend into traffic-clogged hell. From what I have heard, Seattle isn't exactly a traffic dream, either.

Seattle's worse.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
How bout this sun? drat it's nice out today, I'm gonna go for a hike in shorts and sandals with my dog. I love the pnw.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I just hike a half mile or so along the cedar river, Renton has a ton of little parks along it. My dog's little so he doesn't do the big hikes.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I love this area, I hate the greedy loving people.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

mod sassinator posted:

Typo, it was an income tax. I was sad to see that one get voted down, but didn't have a ton of hope for it.

I'm curious, who is Eyman and what has he done to attract so much negative attention? I remember reading the description in the voters guide for some of the bills he pushed and the opposition started out with "Here we go again, another Tim Eyman bill." What's his history? Is he a republican from the east of the state coming in to gently caress things up, or just a business guy with a boner for politics?

The former. He's been doing anti-tax poo poo for 15+ years. His biggest success was lowering car tabs back in the 90's from like 300 bucks a year to ~50, dunno what public service that hosed over in return since I was a kid. Just another FYGM rear end in a top hat.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Thanatosian posted:

Heh, the cover story in The Stranger this week is "What's Wrong with the SPD: The Right-Wing Cop Union and its Pet Mayor."

Looking forward to reading it. :mmmhmm:

That's every police dept around the world.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Kaal posted:

Very true, and it's an enduring problem. The public has to have a way to defend itself from these right-wing cop unions that are actively sabotaging any attempts at reform and burying anyone that gets in their way: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/reform-in-reverse/Content?oid=19281433

Oof, I read that and it does not paint a rosy picture for Seattle's future. I already knew Murray was bad news when the Seattle Times started endorsing him and doing daily hit pieces on McGinn. Also today they had a slobberjob farewell article about Rodney Tom. What a lovely rag.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BraveUlysses posted:

They're taking any and all steps to break the unions, pure and simple.

Yeah, the only reason the Times isn't congratulating them is because they're going to lose some subscribers.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Haha, the seattle drill out of commission for another year (or more). I knew a tunnel would be a waste of time and money but I'm in Renton so couldn't vote against it (also the council ignored the vote anyway iirc because of their business bribes).

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think that having to obtain a postage stamp is probably that extra nudge of effort that prevents WA from having really high voter turnout. I know there are drop boxes and such, but I guarantee you the majority of voters here have no clue they exist, or if they do, where the boxes are.

And the cars win yet again in the "war on cars." :sigh:

I've heard you can drop a ballot in the mail and they'll mail it anyway without a stamp. That's what I've been doing the last year.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Min wage would be over 20 bucks now if it hadn't been crippled by Reagan. If we can't even get 15 then burn the system down.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
And the whole doctor system is set up as a FYGM machine, only allowing a certain number per year.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I hope we get big turnouts for the Seattle labor day stuff. Push that (mediocre) 15 dollar wage as much as possible.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Solkanar512 posted:

Portland is nice to visit and all, but seriously, you guys voted down fluoridated drinking water. It's one thing for folks to freak out about GMOs or even vaccines (neither WA or OR are great on those counts) but fluoridated drinking water? That's really loving nuts to be against.

Do you drink pure grain vodka or rainwater?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Is moving to the PNW from Texas worth it? More specifically, is it worth it if I don't have a college degree?

Moving to Somalia from Texas is worth it. PNW is even better than that. I have a college degree but couldn't find a job to use it so I just have a grunt job with union benefits, it's pretty good actually.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

oxbrain posted:

How about some sort of flat tax based on income.

Or wealth.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gerund posted:

Seattle has a new police commissioner, announced to be Kathleen O'Toole, their first female commissioner. You may remember her from a stint with Boston PD as commissioner during the time in which the riot police murdered a reveler in late '04, where she slapped a few wrists but didn't follow up on any charges. She was also Ireland's top cop for the last 8 years and a Pattern committee member during the post-98 Belfast agreement police reforms.

reporting from The Stranger below:

Personally, I'm happy that we're past the hiring stage and she was my most preferred of the other two, as she had been a former commissioner and was from someplace bigger than bumblefuck Arizona or bumblefuck California. Rumor has it she'll be interested in installing shoulder-cameras and coordinating with the DOJ to get the SPD out from under that little "you're a terrible police force, we are beginning the process to fire everyone involved" thingy.

So she's a tool. :itisapun:

Maybe she'll institute reform, but I'm not holding my breath.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Ferry county is a landlocked one? :psyduck: By the name I always assumed it was one of the island areas.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 25, 2014

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gerund posted:

Handing out jay-walking tickets in Seattle is a point of civic pride!

And beating the 'mexican piss' out of jaywalkers too.

I've been to a few Storm games, it's the same as going to a Sonics game was. If you like one I don't understand why you wouldn't like the other. I haven't been to a Reign game yet though.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If only those poor shooters had had more guns. Wait...

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

TheBalor posted:

Has that ever happened? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious how often a mass shooting has been stopped by a vigilante with a gun.

The seattle college guy was stopped by pepper spray (instead of a gun) last week iirc.

Guns aren't needed.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Yet another warning by the Wash. State Supreme Court that our congress is in contempt for not raising enough funds for education. Are they ever going to be jailed for it? They'd figure out a solution pretty quick if so. Maybe they could *gasp* create an income tax! (Yeah right :()

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Anyone else go to the Fremont solstice fair today? Weather was perfect for it, the naked bike ride grossed out my nieces and I laughed my head off. That area is great.

One of the booths was an anti-$15 wage thing, but it looked like it was put together on the fly. No table, flyers, etc. Just a couple guys with ad-hoc signs. Can you believe the balls of them to do that in Fremont?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I have a week of vaca in a week and was thinking of touring the peninsula a bit then maybe hitching a ferry to the San Juans for a couple days, anything in particular I should see?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tigntink posted:

I'd like to think that even if this abortion of a ballot measure goes through that people will still vote in their best interests.

This is the same state that voted down an income tax for people only making 1 million or more per year. And voted for charter schools. And almost all of Tim Eyman's poo poo that hamstrings the budget. People here are retarded when it comes to money.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

seiferguy posted:

Good news! Tim Eyman's latest initiative to try and reduce state revenue by slashing the sales tax won't be on the ballot this November because he failed to collect the amount of signatures needed. This will be the first time since 2006 that there isn't an Eyman initiative on the ballot. He's been struggling because one of his biggest money-funding old men croaked last year, and businesses are starting to see that his initiatives rarely pass, or if they do, get defeated in court because they're unconstitutional.

Wow, the one time I would've voted for his crap.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So where the hell are the legal dispensaries? Is there a list? Googling just gives me hundreds of medical only ones.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hedera Helix posted:

If the nuclear plant over in the Tri-Cities area is shut down, it's going to be replaced with coal or gas. They're not going to build another hydroelectric dam, and solar and wind aren't going to be able to fill that gap. Also, Hanford and Columbia Generating Station are two different things; Hanford is the one with the hideous waste disposal problems, going back to atomic bomb development during WWII. But it's good to see people conflating them, makes it easier to campaign for the plant's shutdown and replacement with fossil fuels.

It's quite distressing that self-described environmentalists and climate change activists will go out of their way to wreck one of the only power sources that doesn't vomit greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

No, it just poisons the Columbia river and the fish in it we eat.

Doubt the guy will win anyway, anyone that populist on the eastside has a snowballs chance in hell.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Kaal posted:

Are we still talking about the Columbia Generating Station here? Because warming up water doesn't poison anything.

I was referring to all the leaks in the Hanford storage tanks.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Don't they just re-post other articles now?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Irradiation posted:

God drat I loving hated those commercials. All I got from them was "LOOK HOW loving WHITE WE ARE".

Well Oregonians are kinda racist...

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FRINGE posted:

I met some of those. They were from CA. :v:

Not true! I stopped at some place in the middle of a too-long drive to rest and all the 100 year old zombies were looking at me like I was food.

I remember that.

(Some hamlet in southern OR.)

I hope it wasnt Gold Beach. My grandma used to live there.

Also, tonight is Lou Pinella night at the mariners. Good times.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

anthonypants posted:

Unironically do this to get conservative opponents airing ads of murderous hobos running the rail.

Just hire Ernest Borgnine to be the rail bull, then it's an even chance for both sides.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If Vancouverites pay higher than average taxes, why not move to Oregon?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

anthonypants posted:

I've never heard of Dick's apart from the one that's already here, but people will not shut up about In-n-Out.

You never listened to hip hop? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfOJaoeE3mQ&t=201s

Seconding the Tutta Bella rec, drat good pizza. Seattle has tons of good pizza joints, but they're all a little different so I rotate. One has thicker crust, one is greasier, etc. When I went to UW I had way too much Pizza Ragazzi. Sooo good with beer.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 15, 2014

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Po'Shines up in North Portland.

The wings they serve with their chicken and waffles are bigger than most places chicken legs. And they got mac n cheese, hushpuppies, catfish fried or blackened.

edit;

Plans to build a coal terminal, bringing it in by train from Wyoming to be shipped to Asia, have been shut down.

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2014/08/oregon_department_of_state_lan_1.html

And shootings and gang problems seem to be on the rise in Portland.

http://www.opb.org/news/article/portland-meeting-to-battle-gun-violence/

I think WA is still trying to build a new coal shipping port or 2, but we have the nimby crowd doing what they can to slow/stop it. I can't blame em, running all that train traffic through downtown Seattle shuts down several big intersections, and the cars aren't even covered so coal dust flies all over the place. How loving cheap are the coal companies that they can't make a retractable cover like asphalt trucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DrNutt posted:

I'm sure the two-thirds of America in the service industry will give a poo poo. How many people even have a normal work week and holidays in our lovely new economy?

Not I. i'm in the middle of a 10-day stretch, and work overtime almost every day.

• Locked thread