Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm glad to be in Eugene, Oregon rather than in Portland or Seattle. I haven't really spent time in Seattle, but over the last decade I have seen Portland descend into traffic-clogged hell. From what I have heard, Seattle isn't exactly a traffic dream, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

So what are fellow Oregoons' thoughts on Monica Wehby? I've been seeing signs touting her while driving through Farm Country, Willamette Valley and have heard radio ads proudly declaring her definitive hatred of Obamacare.

Personally, even with all the "apparent" interest in the campaign, I still can't see her unseating Merkley. Especially with the Bachmann-eye thing she seems to have going on...

This is the first I've heard of her. Then again, I don't watch TV and have fallen behind in reading the newspaper. I can't imagine she has any sort of chance against Merkley.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

One of the many things I love about Eugene, is that (outside the UO campus area) traffic is largely painless. It is easy to get around here by car, by bicycle, or by bus. The last few times I have been in Portland, with a Portland native driving, the traffic has appeared Dantean in its fiendishness.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ardennes posted:

Also, I think a good amount of it is just Oregonian small government weirdness about not wanting to spent money on signs. It seems ridiculously but a lot of the state budget and local budgets are run on a ridiculous shoestring.

On a semi-related note, somehow over the last decade or two Eugene has gotten downright awesome with streetsigns. First all the alleys started getting their own streetsigns. Then they started replacing the old streetsigns with newer ones with a larger, clearer font and proper capitalization. Once I noticed them, it was incredible how much more clear and easy to read at a glance they are. I'll post old versus new pics if I remember to take some when I'm out and about.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 5, 2014

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Wait - I can't be arsed to check, but does Washington allow a different wage to be paid for positions that receive tips? I didn't realize that other states did that, until I lived in Arizona for a while and my girlfriend made like $2.50/hour because she got tips (bartending and waitressing).

Here in Oregon the minimum wage is the minimum wage, regardless of whether you get tips or not.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Here are a couple examples of local street signs I mentioned. They are for Portland alley, a half-block up from Portland street (yes, Eugene has a Portland street),

Old style sign:

New style sign:

The newer signs are much easier to read at a glance in general.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The-Mole posted:

In Eugene, you know you're on High Street because all the signs have been stolen.

There are also:

Baker Boulevard
Stoney Ridge Drive
Leisure Lane (although I'm not sure it's technically a marked street anymore)

and

Nixon Street

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm honestly not sure if Nixon street is named after the ex-President or not, but it is still an oddity. I'm pretty sure it is the street I lost my virginity on, too, although that is really neither here nor there.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

seiferguy posted:

Honestly this is probably a good thing that school shootings only get reported in local news outlets and not publicized to hell like Sandy Hook was.

Agreed. The instant-celebrity given murderers is a troubling aspect of commercial media. The best thing that came out of Elliot Rodger's killing spree was that he was such a ridiculous character that he presents an object of mockery, something less likely to encourage copycatting.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Magres posted:

Computer Parts you should tell your family member they owe you a trip to Block 15 for helping them move. Get the sweet potato fries with the spicy sauce, it's unbelievably good.

Their stuffed mushrooms are pretty awesome, too.

Probably going to head up there for Da Vinci Days, and there's a good chance we'll stop by Block 15 for lunch or something.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Apparently Da Vinci Days was cancelled this year due to the festival not being profitable. Looks like they are still doing the kinetic race, but I'm not sure about schlepping up to Corvallis just for that. Also, they tend to do that at some ungodly hour like 10am or something.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SedanChair posted:

No problem, I love it that being anti-nuclear will literally send goons into an epileptic fit.

I think the most glaring thing is the Strangelove-esque position on fluoridation, really.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kaal posted:

At hotter temperatures it can affect nearby lifeforms, (and even kill them, though of course that's why there's state and federal limits on the exhaust temperatures) but it still isn't poisoning them. There's no concern that it's going to unbalance the ecology, make the fish unhealthy to eat, or effect persistent environmental damage. I mean we're talking about raising the water temperature by 20-30 degrees here - it's not even lukewarm.

Warm water discharge can disrupt fish migratory patterns.

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2402331?uid=3739856&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21104367711517

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kaal posted:

So can the dirt and silting from constructing a bridge. And sometimes we'll even modify or abandon bridge projects because of it, but we don't say that bridges poison fish.

I was just pointing out that warm-water discharge does have an effect.

That said, I'm a mildly pro-nuclear Oregonian, so I'm a rare breed.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

glowing-fish posted:

According to Ballotpedia, the one opinion poll on Oregon Measure 91 (Cannabis legalization) has the measure being ahead 51-41%, with 8% undecided.

http://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Legalized_Marijuana_Initiative,_Measure_91_%282014%29

Since the last measure failed by only 7% of the vote, and voters in Oregon have had two years to see that marijuana legalization in Washington and Colorado went off fairly smoothly, it seems pretty likely that it will pass. The one poll done didn't have a large sample size, and there was a lot of undecideds, but it seems there is a good change this measure will pass. Right now I would probably give it about a 75% chance of success.

The last measure was horribly written, and would've created a nepotistic hugbox to oversee the legal marijuana industry. I need to read this one through, but as long as it doesn't pander to cronyism in terms of oversight then it should probably pass comfortably.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm a native of Eugene, and am quite happy with it down here. Over the course of my life I've seen Portland get big and traffic-strangled to the point I'm no longer sure I'd want to live there. In the 1990s it seemed to be around a sweet-spot in terms of livability, at least in my perception of it, and it appears to have gone downhill from there.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The last spate of posts has made me feel quite happy about living in Eugene. We barely even have a rush hour down here.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

The craziest tourist/shopper thing I've seen from Canadians are chartered buses pulling into the Fry's in Wilsonville, and watching them cramming TVs and laptops into the baggage compartments.

That does sound odd. Speaking of that Fry's, I've often wondered why it seems to be the only one in the state. It seems like Eugene could support one quite readily, but there really isn't anything left down here but Best Buy and the various OfficeDepotMax stores. I buy most of my tech mail-order, anyway, but having a Fry's would be nice as an option.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I don't know the state of Fry's electronics, but at Best Buy this is almost always just fine.

It's mostly pricing and selection. Granted, I haven't been in Fry's for a long time, but years ago they actually had decent price and selection. Best Buy is a little better than it used to be but is still overpriced and understocked for a lot of items, and the last time I looked at Fry's they weren't priced as low as I remember them being.

The main thing is that there used to be some options down here: Circuit City and Good Guys at least provided some alternatives for brick-and-mortar electronics. Now there isn't even that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Reason posted:

this poo poo, some libertarian 'think' tank is boycotting a national holiday because freedom or something also look at this guys head.

Forcing you to work monday for are freedoms

Fer gently caress's sake - it's depressing that they aren't a parody.

"I can't think of a problem in society that can't be traced in some way back to the abuses of organized labor, and it would be hypocritical of us to take a day off on its behalf."

Yes, clearly organized labor is the problem, and not decades of neoliberal economics gutting the middle class and concentrating wealth in the hands of a hypercapitalist plutocracy.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kaal posted:

He "works" at a libertarian think tank that funnels corporate money into astroturf campaigns. Isn't every day basically a day off for him?

True that. I think this article covers a lot of the origins of modern libertarianism - corporations.

http://www.alternet.org/visions/true-history-libertarianism-america-phony-ideology-promote-corporate-agenda

The fact that what passes for "logic" and "argument" amongst libertarians sounds like bad religious apologetics is not a coincidence, but almost certainly deliberate.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Schwack posted:

I make that drive all the time. The closest billboard Centralia's is North of Albany right after the Millersburg exit. It usually says something like JESUS DIED FOR YOU or IF YOU DIED TONIGHT DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU'D END UP?

I laugh at that one relatively often, although I don't end up having to travel from Eugene to Salem as often as I used to. I want to say it was bookended with beer billboards last time I saw it, but don't recall exactly.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fats posted:

Nothing wrong with it, I guess it's just more of a "holy poo poo I graduated high school ten years ago". Corvallis is great. Though work has taken me to Albany lately, which... isn't.

That said, I've lived in Oregon my entire life, so I figure I should leave at some point.

I'm a native Oregonian, and left the state to live elsewhere for several years. I was glad to come back.

I'm from Eugene, but lived in Salem for a few years and spent time in Albany and Corvallis. Say what you will about Albany, but I think I prefer it to Salem. Just as I was glad to come back to Oregon, I was also glad to come back to Eugene.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ardennes posted:

BRT is fine for what it is, and to be honest Powell may not be really big enough for a full on LRT system. BRT is good for medium density routes that probably that don't need rail infrastructure, it seems like it has worked out well enough for Eugene.

Well, the BRT lines already in place work fairly well. Apparently they can cause a bit of a headache in downtown traffic for a few blocks, but I haven't personally had to deal with it. The point of contention is the proposed West Eugene expansion, which could seriously gently caress up traffic on West 11th Avenue (which is also Highway 126). They took the fight against the expansion to Federal court, but lost. They are supposed to start working on it later this year, so the results have yet to be determined.

The line from downtown Eugene to downtown Springfield works pretty well, in my limited use of it, at least.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

anthonypants posted:

Some MRA nerd has his panties in a bind that women are doing a thing in Portland, and it's up to him to put a stop to it.

If he isn't doing performance art then he is just a sad, stunted, and very stupid little boy.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Speaking as a Eugenean, I'd chime in with the fact that Portland traffic and parking problems serve as a real disincentive to going up there unless I really need to. Although it is kind of nice to go up for the day, look around, say "Wow, this is really hosed up," and then go home to a reasonably functional infrastructure.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Not to derail the argument over cars and parking and housing in your megalopoli, but I just thought I'd mention that I've been doing a little reading, and it looks like Oregon Measure 90 needs to die. Apparently it's a retread of Measure 65 from 2008, and while touted as "opening the primaries" it also limits the general election to only two candidates. Basically, it looks like a way for the major parties and big money to further simplify and control the general elections more than it does anything else.

Okay, you can go back to debating the merits of various urban dystopias now.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Peztopiary posted:

Yes Idaho is clearly oppressing the Californians. That's why they keep moving up here.

I know this isn't really fair, but I tend to have a hard time remembering that Idaho is generally thought of as being in the Pacific Northwest.

As a native Oregonian, I tend to feel a kinship with Washington and Northern California, but not so much Idaho.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Error 404 posted:

That's because you lack the blood of Jesus.

What happens in the SJLAB thread stays in the SJLAB thread.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, that does bring to mind that I also occasionally think of Idaho as North Utah. I have the impression that the Mormons have made serious inroads over in Idaho.

Edit:

Kaal posted:

I agree as a sentiment, since as an Oregonian I've always basically seen the Cascades as being the fundamental line between the Northwest and "The Rest". But there's a lot of cultural and environmental similarities to Idaho with Southern and Eastern Oregon, much of Eastern Washington, and even parts of Northern California. Technically it's a Mountain State, like Colorado or Montana, but there's more cultural similarities between Idaho and Washington than, say, Idaho and New Mexico.

Well, and it technically falls within the Cascadia bioregion, so there is that, too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kaal posted:

Democracy.

gently caress democracy - Pacific Northwest Hegemony FOREVER!

Seriously, I do think that getting into the abstract territory of political and governmental theory beyond the scope of the Pacific Northwest is a little beyond the scope of this thread and its intent.

Personally I think the franchise has become too broad, basically allowing a Corporate-Theocratic bloc to be developed, but that is more an issue of the South and Midwest (read "Red States") than it is of the Pacific Northwest.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

anthonypants posted:

According to a poll, Richardson 55%, Kitzhaber 39%.

Meh - that's a pretty narrow demographic and small sample size. I'm not sure that I would give it much credence.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Earlier in the thread I had mentioned the controversy over the expansion of Eugene's EMX dedicated transit line out West 11th avenue, and I happened to be out there last week, and noticed this sign up outside a Chinese restaurant:

LTD stands for Lane Transit District, and is the name of the bus system itself - EMX is just the half-assed light rail stand-in of LTD.

I'm not sure when the opposition's signage took a turn for the insane, but they appear to be getting ever-more strident after losing in court.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Faffel posted:

Wait, so they're just against this thing because it may give public transport to drug dealers? Or is there some kind of pass subsidy thing in place?

No, the real arguments against the expansion are pretty reasonable. This just appears to be the opposition getting desperate and just making poo poo up, and possibly is a dig against the city of Springfield. EMX currently connects downtown Springfield to downtown Eugene, so perhaps they are arguing that the undesirables from Springfield will roam further into Eugene if they can ride EMX.

There is a fairly vague Wikipedia article on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Express_%28EmX%29

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kaal posted:

That specific restaurant owner has a long-lasting grudge against LTD in all its forms. They've always got signs up against any bus system anything, and have for years and years. That said, there's definitely a persistent opposition against LTD expanding into 11th, because that area is basically Eugene's dalliance with Big Box stores along a big long strip accessible only by cars.

That particular part of West 11th reminds me of Lancaster Drive in Salem, although not quite as bad yet. Sacrificing lanes in that part of West 11th doesn't strike me as a great idea. Maybe farther out it could be workable, but not in the part closer to downtown.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have to admit that one of my personal qualms with adding EMX service out West 11th is that it will probably drive more traffic to Wal-Mart. Essentially subsidizing them to bleed more money from the community is not real high on my list of civic improvements.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It's been windy as hell down here in Eugene, although it seems calmer now. Trees down, very gusty, had to chase the drat garbage can out of the street.

I'm guessing the weather we were having this afternoon is starting to hit you guys.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I actually don't think our flag is really bad:

Color scheme could be better, but otherwise it is fine.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

ah yes, a flag with writing, numbers, an over-detailed seal on a plain background: a 'not bad' flag

But it has a beaver on the back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

Too bad they didn't bring their snappy uniforms!

Imagine what a cascadian uniform would look like.

• Locked thread