Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Reason posted:

Are you implying that Starbucks treats its employees well?

Comparatively, yes. I mean, they offer the same benefits package to their retail employees as they do to their corporate HQ employees so at the very least they're treat all of their employees as equals.

They also encourage promotion from within and it's not unheard of for people to jump from retail to a corporate role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Prop 1 fails, Bertha is stuck for a year, and the city continues its war against ride sharing companies.

It's like Seattle needs to manufacture its own strife rather than be logical and move forward.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

I never get this, because more buses is a win for people who have to drive a car to work.

That's not how a lot of drivers see it. They see it as "giving up ground" in The Great Transportation Wars.

Why, if we properly fund metro then the next thing to happen is bus lanes everywhere and less space for my truck!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

computer parts posted:

I guess the real issue lies in why a Seattle bus service is being voted on by the entire state.

e: Actually is it being voted on by the entire state or is just the county doing it? If the latter, why do some bullshit about ~~rural types~~ if they're not even voting on it?

Do me a favor and look at the King County boundaries. Over 50% of it is rural bumfuck pine tree acreage.

Here's an interactive map of how the prop 1 vote went: https://a.tiles.mapbox.com/v3/oranv.i2d1b9dd/page.html#10/47.4922/-121.8906

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

computer parts posted:

And yet in 2010 and 2012 they went D by 65-35. It's not exactly a swing county.

I'm not making a left/right argument at all. It's not about that. What I'm talking about is the fact that the people who live out in Maple Valley (for instance) simply do not use KCM so they have no vested interest in voting for more taxes/fees to support it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Oregon is closing up shop on their own ACA healthcare exchange and using the federal system now. That's a cool $248 million from the state budget just wasted.

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2014/04/cover_oregon_after_spending_24.html

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

seiferguy posted:

My brother and his wife got married by a judge (a friend of my dad) with just the parents in attendance as witnesses. You can always go to court for marriage for something quick and easy.

Eh, sort of. I was the witness for a marriage ceremony at the King County courthouse about five years ago and the judge they assigned to my two friends wanted to talk about their relationship and then he started going on and on about how "marriage is a canoe" and the whole thing was really awkward and forced. It lasted twice as long as it really needed to but when you consider that we were only there for about an hour, that's not so bad.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

computer parts posted:

That was probably it. There's also a sign on the way back from Newport that's just "Just Choose Life!" with a picture of a baby on it.

There's one of those along the Spokane Street Viaduct in Seattle and it's a picture of a smiling baby that says "My daddy says I was a real surprise!"

I honestly don't know what that message is meant to imply other than "Just because you're pregnant out of wedlock doesn't mean you should get an abortion and not tell the father."

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Boeing is looking for any reason to get out of this state anyway. We should stop hitching our wagon to those assholes.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

You don't need to convince me of the myopic views of Boeing Senior Leadership.

This is a company that hired me as a contractor for over two years, hired me fulltime in May and is laying me off permanently in October.

Nothing makes sense and no one expects it to. It's just madness at this place.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

I've been here 8 years and that definitely sounds accurate. Were you hired in on 787? I heard a round of layoffs were just announced about a week or two ago.

Yea 787-9 power systems testing. We were ramping up for some new work but then all the budgets got cut for the rest of the year and layoff notices started coming out.

It sucks because this is literally the worst time to look for a job. No one hires until January unless you want to work poo poo retail.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

That stinks badly, you have my sympathy. My family that was in the company retired recently, so I'm not as connected to the news about it, is this getting any local press or are we pretending that 8 billion parachute we gave Boeing to keep jobs in the state wasn't worth anything?

I don't know how relevant my job loss is to the $8 billion tax break they got. That was mostly to ensure manufacturing jobs stayed in the state but I work in Test & Evaluation.

Boeing is definitely getting out of the Puget Sound area for testing. They already decimated the Research & Technology group in my building and moved all their jobs to California.

They want to move any job they can to a non-union job market where they can offer less and demand more.

The number I was told is "500". By the end of the year, 500 Boeing Test & Evaluation (or maybe it's all of EO&T?) jobs will be permanently cut.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

The spite is specifically aimed at the unionized employees. They even recently revised the internal software that we use for job searching so that it's significantly harder to see what kind of jobs are available; under the guise of allowing better management supervision of hiring.

I dunno, even after so many years here I'm amazed that this company can hire so many stupid people, make so many poor decisions and yet it's never been more profitable.

Yeah the new job search system is so so loving bad. They outsourced it to Taleo which is what a lot of corps use for job searching... only it doesn't quite work at Boeing because of all of the Skill Management Code information that needs to be included but simply isn't included.

Using the old system, the job req would list out all of the required "competencies" and you could tailor your resume to satisfy the job description by expanding out each competency and looking at exactly what the job is.

In the new system, it's a literally two paragraphs about the job and that's it. Good luck with that!

The truth is, there's really no incentive to even try to stay here if this is how I'm going to be treated. Since I just got hired in, I'm always at the bottom of the layoff totem pole so I'm constantly in fear of losing my job regardless of how well I perform. No thanks, guys. You can gently caress right off.

I guess I'm just glad I've only been here a few years and I don't have to worry too much about my resume being stagnant. I really feel for the older folks who have been here longer than me who are getting canned.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Peztopiary posted:

Just wanted to mention that the reason Boeing starts first shift early in the morning is because if they didn't second shift wouldn't leave until 3 at night. Which would be super uncommon in any manufacturing plant I've ever heard of or been in. A study (from 85 admittedly) if you're interested.

I like how the "6 AM start time" thing is leveraged by IAM to make the labs utterly useless. The machinists all show up and start at 6:00AM sharp and they leave promptly at 2:30PM regardless of what's going on.

Meanwhile, all of the SPEEA engineers seem to roll in at 9:00AM and leave at 6:00PM. Nothing productive happens here.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

You can also check out https://www.crosscut.com and https://www.seattlemet.com/publicola but just be aware of the heavy bias.

I guess that's how it goes with all news outlets, though. You just have to find the publication with the bias that best fits your worldview and then you can snuggle up inside of it like a warm echo chamber of affirmation.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Remember when Boeing laid of 6300 speea techs and engineers after they got the tax breaks? goodtimes

I remember this.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Sorry :( any luck in the job hunt?

Nothing so far but my lead told me that I can take a two month layoff and then when they inevitably need to ramp up personnel in January, they can just hire me back in under a different skill code.

When you type it out, you realize how utterly loving ridiculous it is.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

anthonypants posted:

Some MRA nerd has his panties in a bind that women are doing a thing in Portland, and it's up to him to put a stop to it.

forkboy84 posted:

Can't you read? He even says "This is not a MRA event" in his Craigslist posting. He's just "simply one human...Standing bravely against a growing sexist paradigm." :mrapig:

What an unrepentant shithead. "3rd Annual Man-Hate Convention". It'd sure be nice if these twats could actually look up the meaning of sexism (& for that matter, feminism) before whining "that's sexist".

If you read the interview (which I presume is genuine), the guy makes a few decent points and obviously isn't a moron.

The poster is outrageous but he readily admits that. The name "All Jane and No Dick" is similarly outrageous.

Outrageous.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

seiferguy posted:

At the end of the interview:

Matt: I’m not anti-feminism. What I really am is I guess you could call me a Men’s Rights Activist. Does that make sense? Is that a thing?

Amy: Oh yes that’s a thing. You are not alone. Not sure if you’ve Googled that phrase yet.

Oh my god.

That was where I wasn't sure if the whole thing had been fabricated or not. Or maybe if there were emojis to go along with the text, I could get a better feel for this guy's delivery. Maybe he's some sort of real-life, fedora'd troll.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Irradiation posted:

The only redeeming thing about Pullman is it isn't the tricities.

The only redeeming thing about the tricities is this guy: http://www.youtu.be/ZaQyilizgU8

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

Kshama Sawant as Dear Leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Cascadia

ya that's because the Oregon state flag, like 40+ US state flags, is an ugly badly designed piece of poo poo while the Doug flag and Portland city flag are actually cool + good

The Alaska state flag loving owns.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

xrunner posted:

Keep in mind that the exemption is limited to oregon, Alaska, New Hampshire, Delaware and Montana ID cards (the states without sales tax).

Why would this even need to be said?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Killmaster posted:

On the flip side, anyone notice how jackbooted the fare enforcers are on the rapidride E line (former 358)? It was pretty off-putting to me. Then again I'm not a filthy poor so there you go.

They come off this way on the C line too. They seem to dress like cops from a dystopian Disney future.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

There are billboards for Winco all over Seattle. Is there one opening up soon in the area?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

effectual posted:

Just kill a member of the state legislature every day until they institute an income tax to pay for schools, etc.

Uh.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

oxbrain posted:

If the 594 protestors can get away with saying that on the steps of the capital I think we can get away with it on an Internet comedy forum.

I don't think it's really about being able to "get away with it" rather than it is a dumb thing to say. The comedy defense falls flat because it's not even that funny.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Gerund posted:

The thing is, SEDUs (aka "apodments") can exist in the current regulatory framework, and frankly should exist in the neighborhoods they have been designated to exist in, because those neighborhoods are centered around extant and planned transit hubs, and are magnets for young, single, budget-conscious renters.

It's really too bad that, at least in the case of Seattle, the Urban Village concept has failed so spectacularly. Hell, there is an Urban Village near my house (RE: Westwood) that the city has invested literally $0 in capital investments since the concept was introduced.

There are SEDUs being built around the corner from my house because my neighborhood has been identified as an Urban Village. All that really means is that the BRT line comes through the neighborhood.

There are no concrete plans for grade-separated transit. There are no guarantees that any sort of light rail will make it's way to my side of town. All I can do is hope and pray that the powers that be figure out some kind of solution to the traffic bottleneck that is sure to occur at the West Seattle Bridge once hundreds and hundreds of units come online in the next two-three years.

poo poo is going to get Really Real in King County over the next couple years. Median house prices are up 8% from last year. Rental rates are skyrocketing. The homeless population in King County is up ~20% from last year.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That sort of law makes sense if by "teen" you mean kids from the age of 14 to 17. Once you apply it to people who are out of high school and possibly trying to support themselves, you're just hurting people who are trying to be responsible citizens.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It's a textbook rear end in a top hat argument to mince words literally to support your wild claims of what constitutes the middle class.

"These people are literally in the middle! Can't get anymore middle class than that!"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Lacrosse posted:

Yeah, I don't care too much for cigarette smoke either, but you know this is just another excuse to ticket people for stupid poo poo rather than do something about real crime.

It's not just about the smoke, it's also about the litter left behind (which, on beaches, is really no joke).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I want reservation pot lounges to happen so that I can read the subsequent Sherman Alexie op-ed or book.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

That's a gross over simplification of the problem, it's not a matter of assuming there isnt going to be a problem but designing something to dig a giant hole doesn't mean it should be designed to back up. Would you really expect it to back all the way up if the failure had happened in the last 1000 feet of digging?

in other news, i find it really encouraging to see that Ivar's jumped up to give their employees $15 wages right now and commission % based on sales in exchange for dropping tipping entirely.

The "man on the street" sound bites that KUOW played regarding this were hilarious. They interviewed some people who work in or adjacent to the service industry and they were mostly about how the service would be abysmal and the workers would suck because they don't have to earn tips.

I don't understand why some patrons of restaurants require their servers to grovel at their feet for spare change.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

So what's up with the Seattle City Council? A bunch are not seeking relection, and there's the new ward system going into place. Are there any whispers offront runners to take their place? Will the elections stay on the same schedule as they are currently? How is it decided what incumbents get what wards?

Incumbents have to run for the ward that aligns with their home address (which explains some of the step-downs since some people don't want to move).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Kaal posted:

The money simply isn't available to the DOT on a state level. King County is feeling the bite, but so are counties all over Washington. Counties and cities have been mitigating the issue by funding maintenance and creating construction projects themselves, but it's insufficient and obviously King County isn't going to do that sort of thing anyway. Fundamentally all this sprawl is unsustainable, and this is but one example of why. If you decide to buy a house 35 miles from the nearest school, and aren't willing or able to set up a local schoolhouse for your kids, then invest in a homeschooling program. I'm not going to shed tears that your completely self-imposed 70 mile daily commute is a grind.

She didn't buy a house 35 miles from the closest school. Her kids goes to school in Bellevue and she moved to Maple Valley. There is nothing stopping her from enrolling her children in MV schools.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

foobardog posted:

Or are these people who want all the benefits of living near a city without having to live near people?

Bingo. They want Sounders and Mariners and big concerts and bar hopping on weekends but also 3 acres and Get Off My Land.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I like how he differentiates himself from the employees by calling them "regular people".

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I love the idea and think it's really cool but I'm interested to see if he sees enough return to remain solvent.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have almost a third of an acre in Seattle and literally 0% of it is grass.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

People were on I-5 throwing footballs and frisbees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

These days literally everything the secret service does is rear end-covering.

• Locked thread