Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gammatron
May 19, 2009
I just realized I didn't actually include the link to the Kokiri forest campaign. I am dumb.

http://www.gamemaps.com/details/2802

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY, GOONS!:ducksiren::siren:
Episode 12: Suicide Blitz II
Today, we are going to focus on the game, drive hard, get in the pocket, and crush the competition! :thurman:
Haha, just kidding. I gently caress everything up like usual. Enjoy! :v:

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 30, 2014

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I have yet to see Princess Peach in one of these :colbert:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

I have yet to see Princess Peach in one of these :colbert:

I blame Rectus. :colbert:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Dooky Dingo posted:

I blame Rectus. :colbert:

I guess the game is up. I'm bowser IRL.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:ducksiren:CHRISTMAS CAME EARLY, JERKS!:ducksiren:

Jotsam made this. He is awesome.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Dooky Dingo posted:

:ducksiren:CHRISTMAS CAME EARLY, JERKS!:ducksiren:

Jotsam made this. He is awesome.

This is indeed awesome. Very well done.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO(s) DAY!:ducksiren::siren:
Buckle up, goons. It's going to be a LONG one... :heysexy:

Episode 13A: RedemptionII
Episode 13B: RedemptionII
Episode 13C: RedemptionII

"But, Dingo!" You may ask, "why are there THREE videos?"
The answer to that, my sweet summer child, is that RedemptionII is loving LONG. Like, stupid long. This is compounded by the fact that some of the more... questionable design decisions add a TON of extra playtime to an already jam-packed mod.
Just as a point of reference, Journey to Splash Mountain is 4 files. RedemptionII is 8 loving FILES.:staredog:
Well, whatever. Enjoy!

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 29, 2014

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN
Wow... Someone put a crazy amount of work in to this.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Shadow gamer posted:

Wow... Someone put a crazy amount of work in to this.

And it's still confusing as hell and half broken.... Definitely impressive though

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

And it's still confusing as hell and half broken.... Definitely impressive though

This is extremely accurate. I think what the dev team really suffered from here is a lack of proper playtesting. If I had to wager a guess, I'd say that the "playtesters" were probably just the dev team themselves or that it was people who were already a part of the development process in some way and so they were in on some of the little secrets without being fully aware of it.
I think the best example I could point out is the "generator room" in the finale. You guys seriously have no idea how long we stood in that room trying to figure out where the hell to go because we didn't ALL go into the fake safe room at the same time. Someone who was present for the development would have already understood the trigger for that and so it would have just been passed up.
TL;DR: always use unrelated playtesters.
Also, and I don't know if this is just me or what, but it seems that custom melee weapons, no matter how cool, always have worse hitboxes than their contemporary counterparts. It's really frustrating. Or, maybe thats what I deserve for expecting a putrefied foot to be an effective close quarters weapons. :v:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Dooky Dingo posted:

TL;DR: always use unrelated playtesters.

Or as I like to call them, Let's Players. :getin:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Rectus posted:

Or as I like to call them, Let's Players. :getin:

:argh: RECTUS!

On a semi-related note, that opening section of RedemptionII, the one by the bridge? The whole area is an instant death spot. Even a player with a bad disposition can simply jump off without going into "hang time".
I'm pretty sure the entire mod was made BY trolls FOR trolls.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Dooky Dingo posted:

:argh: RECTUS!

On a semi-related note, that opening section of RedemptionII, the one by the bridge? The whole area is an instant death spot. Even a player with a bad disposition can simply jump off without going into "hang time".
I'm pretty sure the entire mod was made BY trolls FOR trolls.

If you jump and keep holding the jump hey after landing, you can walk off any ledge in the game without hanging on to it. You can even abuse it to get down from the apartment building in No Mercy without having to go inside.

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
That was quite the uneven mod. You should have disturbed the birds, given how disturbed everything else was :) I really agree that the endless panic events without a clear objective (sewers, broken train) really seemed to make the experience painful rather than interesting at those moments, but some of the quieter little bits were nice.

I wonder what it would have been like to maybe split it into two campaigns. You could end the first one with a gas can event that only requires a single gas can present right at the end. Left 4 Dead really seems to shine best in levels that can be done in 5-7 minutes rushing through or explored more thoroughly in 15 or so.

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
It looks like the first time through the ending, the tank was the one that screwed up the ending. If you look carefully around when you died (14:53 at the engine side of the lift) you will see a forklift stuck under it.

Isn't it fun when physics objects mess you up/bug out?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Narahari posted:

That was quite the uneven mod. You should have disturbed the birds, given how disturbed everything else was :)

We TRIED! I have no idea what the trigger is to disturb those birds. It wasn't gun fire and, for all I know, you have to literally walk up and slap one with a dismembered hand to get it to even look at you.

azsedcf posted:

Isn't it fun when physics objects mess you up/bug out?

Hmm, I wonder if the ending still would have gone through if we had found a way onto the train. That would have been GLORIOUS to watch... :iia:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:
Episode 14: Space Mod

Today we take a field trip, class.
A field trip... TO SPAAAAAACE!

Unrelated note, We've been considering doing some hybrid VS. videos, but we would need some folks willing to record video and commentary for the opposing team.
Would anyone be interested in something like that? Or just "Stick to what you're good at, jerks!"?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Not gonna lie, that was by far my favorite video to date. Jesus guys, you have the best conversations :v:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Not gonna lie, that was by far my favorite video to date. Jesus guys, you have the best conversations :v:
All aboard the giraffe express! :getin:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Dooky Dingo posted:

All aboard the giraffe express! :getin:

As someone who worked directly with giraffes at a zoo for 5 years, I can absolutely vouch for that friend who was indeed correct. Giraffe pictures are all photoshops, this is really how they look. :pseudo:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

That is adorable and is totally going in the second post. :neckbeard:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Soooo... Is no one interested in the VS. matches? I kinda figured we'd have at least a few takers...

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
I'd be down to do it myself but computer issues left me unable to run anything remotely close to modern, so I can't currently. When I get things replaces soon I'd dig getting back into some L4D Versus.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

Soooo... Is no one interested in the VS. matches? I kinda figured we'd have at least a few takers...

I'm really bad at L4D with M&K controls and I don't have anything better than my old bluetooth headphones to record audio with, so I don't know how much I would bring to the video

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Well, my idea was to have a VS. match and have two teams running separate videos. Then, in post, we can switch back and forth between the two.
Obviously, this requires a lot of setup and blah blah blah, but it would be pretty :awesome:
If we found that commentary just didn't work on the other side, the teams would get mixed up so that there is always a regular commentator on both teams.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
I'd be totally down for watchin the videos at least? I wish I could help, but I don't have any recording software myself.. And I'm horrible at Vs.

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!
If I had a computer that could run L4D2 I'd be all over this, sadly I can't.
This thread needs more love, keep up the good work.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
Never done versus, so I wouldn't want to bring the quality of the game down. Heh, just a casual gamer here.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I'd be down but I don't actually own L4D2, i'm just living vicariously through you guys :v:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:stare: I am legitimately surprised that this many people either do not own or have never played L4D2.
I assumed this was one of those games that EVERYONE has played at some point, so we haven't been discussing game mechanics or anything like that.
Holy crap. Okay, well, um... Would you guys like us to do some slightly more informative videos or maybe actually go through the main campaign missions as Valve intended?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I vote stick with your current format because hey, it's working well and it's fun to watch you guys play as well as you do. But I also know enough about L4D from my roomie to get the basic mechanics and ideas, so i'm biased.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Stick with your format! Though I'm speaking as it seems one of the few who have played the game, so yeah also biased here.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
I own it, I've played through all campaigns AND I've even run a handful of Vs matches (being a friend-zombie is fun one!) but the only wrinkle for me is video capture. I have Audacity and Skype so I could record audio no problem, but my computer HATES both me and itself the moment I try to do any video recording. My FPS just tanks and games become unplayable and the little video I capture is just as bad.

So if you want a dude who can and likes to have fun and can babble just as much as you guys, I'm in.

Just don't ask for video. :(

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

Holy crap. Okay, well, um... Would you guys like us to do some slightly more informative videos or maybe actually go through the main campaign missions as Valve intended?

The only way that this would be acceptable is if you did it with the most obnoxious visual mods you can find enabled :colbert:

In all seriousness, I wouldn't mind seeing the regular campaigns occasionally, but no Dead Center, please. That's all that my group ever played in VS and I got so drat sick of it

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

no Dead Center, please. That's all that my group ever played in VS and I got so drat sick of it
That's not because you played it so much. That's because it's an objectively bad map with an objectively horrible ending. :colbert:
Seriously, who the hell puts 5 ounces of gasoline in a gas can? Why is there gasoline in the mall and it isn't in a centralized location? :iiam:

The Door Frame posted:

The only way that this would be acceptable is if you did it with the most obnoxious visual mods you can find enabled.
THIS CONTRACT IS COMPLETE. :unsmigghh:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

That's not because you played it so much. That's because it's an objectively bad map with an objectively horrible ending. :colbert:
Seriously, who the hell puts 5 ounces of gasoline in a gas can? Why is there gasoline in the mall and it isn't in a centralized location? :iiam:

It's a pretty solid VS map though. The poor level design and garbage finale lead to amazing traps to be sprung on unsuspecting players who have strayed too far from the group

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

It's a pretty solid VS map though. The poor level design and garbage finale lead to amazing traps to be sprung on unsuspecting players who have strayed too far from the group

The only acceptable VS portions of that map are the very beginning where you can randomly charge a person through a window and I will not hear any heresy to the contrary. :colbert:

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!
I'm only 1/3 of the way through watching these videos and I am really surprised it's not getting more love. :confused: The video and audio quality is great. What I have seen so far of the mods are interesting. I'll keep watching. Keep up the good work guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

bodz5150 posted:

I'm only 1/3 of the way through watching these videos and I am really surprised it's not getting more love. :confused: The video and audio quality is great. What I have seen so far of the mods are interesting. I'll keep watching. Keep up the good work guys!

Thanks for the kind words. I'm really not sure what to do to garner more attention.
Maybe rename the thread "Left 4 Ronpa"? Or how about "Killing Undead and infinitely respawning before Dark Souls was cool!" :v:

• Locked thread