Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

That turret sent me googling for L4D2 Tower Defense (I love tower defense games) and found what you guys need to do next https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5AziW_W9iA. Maybe not the map, but those skins :allears:

Oh god they've got japanese voice clips too.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Garrand posted:

That turret sent me googling for L4D2 Tower Defense (I love tower defense games)

Guess what I made the turret for originally.

More screenshots here.

It's not finished yet though, and might take a while to be.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

That turret defense map you're working on looks seriously rad, Rectus. I'd love to play it when you get it finished :v:

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I seem to remember playing a Helm's Deep mod a few years ago. Wouldn't mind seeing y'all play that at some point.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Rectus posted:

Oh, you totally missed a lot of easter eggs, including the secret finale.
Also I haven't put in any real clues on what to do with the Geiger counter.

Obviously, it is there to count your Geigers. :colbert:
As for the tower defense stuff, it's not usually my favorite, MOBAs being the realm of Bulldog and Jotsam mostly, I'd still play it.

BattleCattle posted:

I seem to remember playing a Helm's Deep mod a few years ago. Wouldn't mind seeing y'all play that at some point.
Yes, there is a helm's deep mod. It is a survival map.
We suck at survival. Badly.
Do you really want to watch an hour long video of us cursing the shoddy craftsmanship of the men of Gondor and their stupidly designed box of death?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Dooky Dingo posted:

Do you really want to watch an hour long video of us cursing the shoddy craftsmanship of the men of Gondor and their stupidly designed box of death?

Point taken. It's weird that Rohan consistently relies on Gondorian forts, but that's another topic entirely.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

BattleCattle posted:

Point taken. It's weird that Rohan consistently relies on Gondorian forts, but that's another topic entirely.
That's because they are too busy brushing the manes of their pretty ponies.

Yes, I am insinuating that the men of Rohan were all bronies. :colbert:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:
Episode 30: Yama (Part 1)
Episode 30: Yama (Part 2)

Today, kids, we explore GLORIOUS NIPPON!
So buckle up, strap your hanzo steel to your back and LET'S GET TO IT.

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 11, 2014

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
So much honor in this episode. It's overflowing with it. I can only imagine the finale involves all the survivors committing seppuku as they realize how shameful it is to try and run from an enemy on the battlefield. :japan:

Something I noticed about the poster of the girls is that it showed them as being at 'Club Rafflesia'. What is a Rafflesia you ask? Why it's this big old flower that reportedly smells like rotting flesh. :eng101:

I'm wondering just what kind of women are at that club. :staredog:

Oh, and the big stuffed rabbit you guys were talking about was probably a reference to Robbie the Rabbit from Silent Hill 3.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

If you guys don't end up doing the Goldeneye Half Life 2 mod now, i'll be so disappointed :colbert:

EDIT: Holy poo poo, that fireworks box. That was great :allears:

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 11, 2014

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Soop posted:

A Raffles-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT, KILL IT!
The cool thing about these is that the reason they smell like meat is because they are pollinated by flies!

Oh, also, Part 2 of Yama is now uploaded. :toot:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Dooky Dingo posted:

The cool thing about these is that the reason they smell like meat is because they are pollinated by flies!

Oh, also, Part 2 of Yama is now uploaded. :toot:

Indeed! It's an old-school plant thing.

So that finale looked like hell in a handbasket. If the amount of special infected were cut down it'd probably still be challenging but tolerable. As it stands though it just seems like a nightmare. It was however worth it to see Jotsam get totally spooked a couple times though.

I also don't know why you guys keep making those weird movie references... Fascist.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

It is legitimately great that the longer we play and the later it gets, the more easily spooked Jotsam becomes until certain finales just end in him freaking out nigh constantly.
Basically, anything after 10:30 and Jotsam becomes :tinfoil:

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
That finale seemed ridiculous. I don't think I've ever seen an unending horde quite as unforgiving as that. Have to say that was worth it alone for the tank scares though.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Pffft, actin' like none of us have seen Hot Fuzz like it's some obscure cult film.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Invenerable posted:

Pffft, actin' like none of us have seen Hot Fuzz like it's some obscure cult film.
I'm sorry but we all agreed that not mentioning the name of the movie was for the Greater Good.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

The Greater Good.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

BattleCattle posted:

The Greater Good.

Yarp. :downs:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Episode 31: R.M.S. Titanic

Tell your favorite boat pun! Just make sure that it floats with Geop!

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Why not tell it first and surpise him? Let the pun sink or swim on its own.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

I just want this LP to be anchored in quality, and not just going 3 sheets to the wind. :colbert:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Finally, Sexy Legs Coach makes its debut. You guys really are the best :allears:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Finally, Sexy Legs Coach makes its debut. You guys really are the best :allears:
:confused: I'm not seeing the boat pun?
That won't hold water around here, sir/madam.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Dooky Dingo posted:

:confused: I'm not seeing the boat pun?
That won't hold water around here, sir/madam.

I am terrible with puns and I don't want to torpedo this endeavor before it really gets underway :colbert:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

T1g4h posted:

I am terrible with puns and I don't want to torpedo this endeavor before it really gets underway :colbert:
Sounds like some leaky reasoning to me. :smugbert:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Episode 32: Deadbeat Escape (Part 1)
Episode 32: Deadbeat Escape (Part 2)

Today, we completely ignore this surprisingly fantastic campaign to talk about plagiarism. It's okay, it wasn't our idea... :pseudo:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
Clearly the only solution to your big quandary is to just move to Japan, where there are no copyright laws. My uncle who works at Nintendo told me so. :pseudo:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Soop posted:

Clearly the only solution to your big quandary is to just move to Japan, where there are no copyright laws. My uncle who works at Nintendo told me so. :pseudo:

Once again, Glorious Nippon shows us the ~*True Path*~ :japan:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Not gonna lie, kicks taking stamina is one of the big reasons I got annoyed with Dead Island. I want to love that game, but that was such a disappointing decision. I think infinite stamina was one of the first mods I downloaded :v:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Not gonna lie, kicks taking stamina is one of the big reasons I got annoyed with Dead Island. I want to love that game, but that was such a disappointing decision. I think infinite stamina was one of the first mods I downloaded :v:

Between kicks starting to take stamina, which makes logical sense but ruins the fun of the game, and weapons either breaking after like 6 zombies or simply flying off into nothingness when you throw them at zombies, that game was so buggy and disappointing and absolute poo poo that I cannot stand it.
The most frustrating part for me was playing as the Asian lady and going down some stairs into some kind of underground bathroom near the beach and then not being able to go back up the stairs because of a friction glitch.
I seriously tried to bunny hop my way up those drat stairs for about 15 minutes before I simply quit out of frustration.
From what I hear, the game only gets worse from there. :shepicide:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Oh god, dead island. My buddy and I were hardcore looking forward to that game coming out. We're always on the lookout for games with some good co-op campaign action, and, before release, thought it would be the perfect bet. Boy were we wrong. I remember that we forged our way through until we got to the prison section and then literally just sprinted our way all the way through the rest. Didn't bother to fight poo poo, just wanted to get to the lovely end.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I only ever watched Jade Star's stream of Dead Island and I am so glad that I didn't buy that game. It looks so horribly tedious, like Dead Rising but without any sense of fun or irony that make a game like that playable

And speaking of plagiarism, doesn't this map kinda feel like an amalgam of all the L4D maps? At least that's the feeling that I got from watching it so far, but I haven't got to the finale yet

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
I liked the plagiarism discussion. My take, for the zero people interested, is that intentions do matter a lot, but neglect matters too, especially in the digital age. It does vary from medium to medium, but in many forms, you can copy some else's work wholesale and edit it. There's a difference between copying the angles of a certain shot in film and copying a pdf manuscript for a novel in the process of being editing for publication off someone's cloud service, for example. You could probably take the second one and publish it on Amazon before the author could complete it, but I would not consider first to market to be a legitimate defense in that case. A less clear cut example, say I take a jpeg off l4d.com and modify it in GIMP. I would say even of the people who are fairly handy with image programs, a significant percentage would not be able to create that image from scratch, but they can modify it in interesting ways, perhaps. Is that plagiarism? The base image in that case is essentially public domain. I think people doing creative works should make reasonable effort to provide credit to their inspirations, especially when something concrete is lifted directly: a written description, a modified image, a C# object, whatever. Something more abstract like a general story arc or a broad visual style I would say do not need special credit. Basically, the more detail-level work someone else has done on your behalf, the more credit you should be reasonably responsible for giving to avoid plagiarism. I think the "I know it when I see it" is pretty valid, as that will generally demonstrate at least that someone would be capable to doing the work entirely on their own, had it been necessary.

Obviously, there are far too many works out there for anyone to be familiar with them all, but I think someone doing creative work does have a responsibility to put reasonable effort into crediting the things that they have been aware in their own artistic development, should it be relevant. Again, the more concrete the detail, the worse actual plagiarism is, with a full copy of what is entirely someone else's work being, imo, pure plagiarism. One thing that I think gets overlooked a bit is that until relatively recently, uniqueness was not considered an artistic virtue. Most artists were expected to reformat an existing form and their skill and credit were due to what they did to transform and reshape it. Faure's Requiem, for example, had all the familiar components, yet they were done in such a way that it could be called the lullaby of the dead. Many early modern English literary works were retellings of Greek and Roman stories as well. I think reshaping an existing work is a perfectly legitimate artistic exercise, so long as it is an artistic expression. Yet, I think it is also only fair for someone engaged in that activity to acknowledge and even promote the original to people who would not be familiar with it. Otherwise, we end with some of the endlessly circular referential cycles we see today where relatively few people can appreciate the reference as anything other than a reference. Aesthetically, I would insist that reference really needs to make more connections than just "this was a thing that existed, remember?" to be more valid that a directly copied paragraph in a novel, for instance. That doesn't take too much, and people generally recognize when it fails, but that distinction is important I feel. I guess I would describe it as the difference between a Conway Twitty cutaway in Family Guy and the yo momma joke in American Dad where the guy invokes Rabelais without ever specifically mentioning Gargantua. Random juxtaposition is not entirely without merit, but it does not "transform the ingredient," to borrow a Food Network mantra, to justify the individual ingredients. The more layers, the more overdetermined the reference, the less an accusation of plagiarism is valid.

I do think the concept of public domain could use a little better refinement too. I would not equate someone copying and pasting a resume template from a template site and editing it with someone taking a wikipedia article and modifying it enough to avoid scanner programs for a class. Both are derived from public resources that are designed for public consumption, but so long as the data is accurate, the form of a resume is not a matter of credit but rather of convention. Yet for a class paper, the mere act of submission implies taking a credit for both the form and content of the paper. Even if you are expected to pull both of those things from the public domain in the first place, the social contract is that you develop, which necessarily implies that you recreate the whole thing from the public constituent parts, which requires a certain mastery of all those parts, versus dodging the scanner, which requires mastery only of the scanner program, not the content of the paper itself.

tl;dr version: There's an expected level of mastery for any plagiarizable work. For most projects for most people, you will be expected to use the same form as many other people, but that is rather abstract. The more abstract the borrowing, the more you can describe it as mere communication instead of borrowing. A common form is a communication shortcut to allow the details to be absorbed more quickly. The more concrete the borrowing, the more it must be both credited and transformed for the work as a whole to be non-plagiarizing. The eye test of someone familiar with the subject and the works being used is the best test.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:staredog: Holy crap, you referenced Family Guy, American Dad and Food Network in a 4 paragraph essay in the Left 4 Dead thread.
We have achieved maximum :goonsay:

On a more serious note, I think that your point is valid, but is somewhat indefensible due to immeasurable metrics.
I, for one, do not believe in the "I'll know it when I see it" test, because that relies on subjective experiences and is simply too error prone to be reliable. Though Jotsam and Kreslev seem to be sold on it.
Categorization and clear definition are the paths to true enlightenment, in my opinion, as once a term or idea have been clearly defined and their meaning agreed to by all parties, honest discourse and discussion can begin.
Everything else leads to a foul miasma of egocentric dogma.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:spooky::siren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:siren::spooky:
Episode 33: Halloween Modapalooza (Part 1)
Episode 33: Halloween Modapalooza (Part 2)

Where are we going? What are we doing? Who are we dressed up as? :iiam:
What about today's videos? :iia:

Happy Halloweeen, everybody, and remember to post those costumes! :v:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Triple post. :dealwithit:

For all of you sad sacks out there who aren't following the twitter, here are the Grizzled Beagle costumes for Halloween!

First up, we have Kreslev as a very lovely scout.

Second, we have Jotsam, resting in his natural habitat.

And finally, my costume for the year.

:spooky: Happy Halloween! :spooky:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I worked halloween night, so no costumes for me.

The one creature I couldn't figure out: What was the charger?

I'm assuming the complete lack of any kind of animation for the Dalek was intentional on the creators part. Either way it's pretty great seeing the charger standing inside it while slamming it's hand against the ground. Sturdy construction.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Garrand posted:

The one creature I couldn't figure out: What was the charger?

Charger was the Ogroman from Resident Evil 6.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!!:ducksiren::siren:
Episode 34: Indiana Jones & the Temple of Zombies

Hey guys, sorry for the late update. We were all in town together for an improv show. :smugdog:

Anyway, enjoy this short little campaign from the creator of Splash Mountain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
At first I was really upset because this was the worst ride ever, and then you guys got to the first safe room :downs:

And as discouraging as yelling into the void is, I don't think that Jotsam wants GamerGate attention, that poo poo is toxic

• Locked thread