Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I'm disappointed that the rolling boulder wasn't an actual hazard. It would have made sense to have a part in the third level where it breaks off and comes after the survivors.

This campaign came out in 2010, so the author has had a lot of time to improve his skills for Splash Mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
I think that the whole reason for them not to include more interaction during the ride was likely because they were trying to be faithful to the real attraction. That said, this is all thrown out the window when you consider the whole ending bit, but its the best guess I have. I would have liked to see more interaction however. Kinda want to try this map myself with some friends since it seems like it'd be a bit fun albeit short.

And in regards to the Gamer Gate thing, regardless of what side anyone is on, its really not worth the arguments which would likely follow.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
I'm really torn on the map, honestly.
On the one hand, the level does have quite a broad level of detail and certainly lots of love and respect paid to the source material.
On the other hand, the map is just mostly boring. You aren't really doing anything most of the time, none of your actions matter, several set pieces are introduced but never utilized, (like that wide open area with the scaffolding before the first safe room), and the most dangerous part of the whole campaign is the death trap of that rubble in the end.
I recommend for a short jaunt, but not for any kind of replay value, unless we just missed something major.

As for gamergate, well, "it's actually about ethics in video games journalism". (No, it isn't.) :shepicide:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:
Episode 35: "Soop" of the day!

So, as most of you are well aware, Jotsam is on a two-week hiatus because of baby stuff. With that in mind, "Mr. Soop" had a special request for his upcoming birthday that we revisit "Residue of Humanity", that horrible mod with a ton of zombies.
Well, we done did it. With a few... twists.
It goes worse than expected.

Also, if there are any mods you would like to see just Kreslev and I do for next week, let me know as soon as you can.

Also Also, don't forget to hop over to the Dark Souls thread to vote on which RoR character you want to see in next weeks video. (Don't ask why we are playing Risk of Rain in a Dark Soul's thread. It's complicated...)

Edit: I have no idea why Kreslev's audio suddenly drops out near the end. :iiam:

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 15, 2014

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
I was literally just about to ask if it was just me or if the audio got REALLY quiet towards the end. I think I said it before when this mod was done last time, but it seems unnaturally bad. It is a pity too, cause conceptually its neat to see that many infected, but good lord they seem to take way too much damage and are grouped far too much in the beginning of the maps. Also I'm amazed you were able to play through all that lag.

So out of curiosity, out of the mods yall have played thus far, what has been your favorite?

DeliciousCookie fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 15, 2014

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

DeliciousCookie posted:

I was literally just about to ask if it was just me or if the audio got REALLY quiet towards the end. I think I said it before when this mod was done last time, but it seems unnaturally bad. It is a pity too, cause conceptually its neat to see that many infected, but good lord they seem to take way too much damage and are grouped far too much in the beginning of the maps. Also I'm amazed you were able to play through all that lag.

So out of curiosity, out of the mods yall have played thus far, what has been your favorite?

Yeah, for some reason, OBS was dropping frames. Don't get me wrong, there was considerable graphical lag with so many skeletons on the map, but it wasn't quite that bad.

As for my "favorite" mod, that's a really hard question to answer.
There have been some really great campaigns that we've gone through, like Die-scraper and Yama, and there have been some absolutely terrible maps as well, but each of them have at least one thing that is different or unique. I know that Jotsam and Kreslev would probably say "Sploosh Mountain" though.
As for mods, hands down my favorite is "Dead Fun", just because it trivializes the game from a certain perspective, but makes the game so much more interesting on another level. :getin:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Dooky Dingo posted:

Episode 35: "Soop" of the day!

So, as most of you are well aware, Jotsam is on a two-week hiatus because of baby stuff. With that in mind, "Mr. Soop" had a special request for his upcoming birthday that we revisit "Residue of Humanity", that horrible mod with a ton of zombies.
Well, we done did it. With a few... twists.
It goes worse than expected.

This is an absolute trainwreck. The mod wouldn't let you guys play together. It spawned more enemies. Your skeletons made the framerate tank. And to top it all off, you inserted the GB promo template really early while Kreslev's audio randomly descended into a whisper.

THIS IS SO GREAT! :swoon:

Thanks to you and Kreslev for doing this video. This is truly the greatest birthday gift ever. :unsmith:

Fake edit: To prove it to you, here's me cackling evilly at your misfortune enjoying some of your efforts in this playthrough as I first watched it.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Soop posted:

This is an absolute trainwreck. The mod wouldn't let you guys play together. It spawned more enemies. Your skeletons made the framerate tank. And to top it all off, you inserted the GB promo template really early while Kreslev's audio randomly descended into a whisper.

THIS IS SO GREAT! :swoon:

Thanks to you and Kreslev for doing this video. This is truly the greatest birthday gift ever. :unsmith:

Fake edit: To prove it to you, here's me cackling evilly at your misfortune enjoying some of your efforts in this playthrough as I first watched it.

Does this count as fanart? I'm not sure.
Jotsam and I differ greatly on whether or not LP's count as "art" (he doesn't believe they count, I do.), so if I'm right, then this is fanart.
If Jotsam is right, well...
Let's just say I'm right and this is fanart. :colbert:
Besides, Jotsam isn't here to defend himself.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Hey guys, unrelated, but check out whats going on with everyone's favorite mod developer, Rectus!

http://www.l4dnation.com/custom-campaign-tournaments/cct3-match-archive/

Go down to round 4 and check it out, they used Die-scraper in a tournament!

Congrats, Rectus! :cheers:

Apparently, they are also going to use the map in the semi-finals, so go watch and support the community!

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 15, 2014

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Sweet! Good work on the map, Rectus!

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

BattleCattle posted:

Sweet! Good work on the map, Rectus!

Thanks. :yayclod:

I think the semi-finals are going to be next week. I just updated the map with feedback from the tournament, including a new shiny thing to be crushed by:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

And on THAT note...
Episode 36: Diescraper - Holdout

In honor of Rectus getting some national recognition and based on his own requests, we revisited Diescraper for the "Holdout" mode which is a lot like COD: zombies.

Also, for those of you wondering, Jotsam will be back next week, just in time for the holidays! :neckbeard:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

AAgh, the medkits where right there! That low graphics settings draw distance was really screwing with you, making it hard to see the pickups.

Anyway thanks for playing it.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Rectus posted:

AAgh, the medkits where right there! That low graphics settings draw distance was really screwing with you, making it hard to see the pickups.

Anyway thanks for playing it.

I'm not used to playing and recording (Jotsam usually records), and I had to turn the graphics down on my 8 year old rig to play and record at the same time without it looking like a slide show! :cry:
Also, for some reason, whenever Kreslev leaves steam and rejoins, OBS determines that he is an outside sound source and nearly mutes him. I don't know why and I don't know how to fix it.

I'm really bad at video games. :(

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:New Video Day!:ducksiren::siren:
Episode 37: GoldenEye 64

So, goons, first of all, Happy Thanksgiving.
For our international friends, tomorrow is the day we American stuff ourselves so full of food that we can't walk in order to prove to the rest of the world how thankful we are to have all of this food.
Except, you know, non-ironic, I guess.

ANYWAY, normally, Jotsam would have recorded Batman, but the file got corrupted, so...

There will be another L4D video on Friday as well!

Enjoy!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Dooky Dingo posted:

Episode 37: GoldenEye 64

So, goons, first of all, Happy Thanksgiving.
For our international friends, tomorrow is the day we American stuff ourselves so full of food that we can't walk in order to prove to the rest of the world how thankful we are to have all of this food.
Except, you know, non-ironic, I guess.

ANYWAY, normally, Jotsam would have recorded Batman, but the file got corrupted, so...

There will be another L4D video on Friday as well!

Enjoy!

You have no idea how hard it is for me to resist yelling at you on Steam for messing up the Konami Code :colbert:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

T1g4h posted:

You have no idea how hard it is for me to resist yelling at you on Steam for messing up the Konami Code :colbert:
well, obviously I couldn't say the real thing. It would have enabled "Red Bun". :colbert:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Cross-post from the "Weird Fanart" thread:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Episode 38: Goldeneye 4 Dead

"What's this bullocks, Dingo?" you may ask, "why are you triple posting AND playing ANOTHER GoldenEye mod?"
As to your first question, I'm triple posting because you are all horrible misanthropes who would rather lurk than post. (Why do you hate us?)
As for the second, the answer is clearly because GoldenEye was a fantastic game that pretty much solidified the N64 as THE console of its generation and will be fondly remembered for years to come.
(Also, because we are shamelessly pandering to nostalgia for views. :pray:)

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight

Dooky Dingo posted:

"What's this bullocks, Dingo?" you may ask, "why are you triple posting AND playing ANOTHER GoldenEye mod?"
As to your first question, I'm triple posting because you are all horrible misanthropes who would rather lurk than post. (Why do you hate us?)
As for the second, the answer is clearly because GoldenEye was a fantastic game that pretty much solidified the N64 as THE console of its generation and will be fondly remembered for years to come.

I don't hate you guys. Your videos are always something I look forward to every week.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Dooky Dingo posted:

its generation and will be fondly remembered for years to come.

It's not shamelessly pandering until you have a token sexy female become part of the regular crew. :sonia:

Also, that tree was probably a dead rubber plant, Ficus elastica, which as you can tell by the name is in fact a ficus. :spergin:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

naginalJJ posted:

I don't hate you guys. Your videos are always something I look forward to every week.
I appreciate it. I really do. I've been talking to the crew about what we may need to change because overall view count is dropping pretty significantly.
In the interest of transparency, however, I should say that I'M actually the one concerned and Jotsam and Kreslev couldn't care less.
I crave affirmation and affection because I am a horribly broken human being. LOVE ME! :cry:

Mr. Soop posted:

It's not shamelessly pandering until you have a token sexy female become part of the regular crew. :sonia:

Also, that tree was probably a dead rubber plant, Ficus elastica, which as you can tell by the name is in fact a ficus. :spergin:
Nah, none of the Beagle Babes (tm) (the collective name of our wives is currently still in progress) want to actually be IN the program, so I guess I'll just have to eat a whole bunch of cake and stuff and then press my hairy moobs up against a webcam or something. :sugartits:

Also, your ability to spot the particular genus of low-res plant life is astounding. The only reason I imagined it was pot was because of the campaign we played a while ago where we stumbled into that green house underground that was growing all that mary-jane. :420:

Also, thread views are now over 30k! :krakentoot:
Only took 9 months to get here. :shepface:

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 29, 2014

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Your videos are my Friday night guilty pleasure. Or sometimes Saturday morning.
But they're a pleasure either way.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I've never played Golden Eye, so I don't have a reference of how it's supposed to be, but the texture choices in the last campaign are really awful. The first underground tunnel area opened up to side rooms with unpainted drywall and carpeted floors, as well as the lab having that disintegrated tile texture everywhere. And those stock photos in the last map, what where they even mimicking from the original?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Rectus posted:

I've never played Golden Eye, so I don't have a reference of how it's supposed to be, but the texture choices in the last campaign are really awful. The first underground tunnel area opened up to side rooms with unpainted drywall and carpeted floors, as well as the lab having that disintegrated tile texture everywhere. And those stock photos in the last map, what where they even mimicking from the original?

They were trying to recreate this:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Dooky Dingo posted:

Yes, more Goldeneye :allears:

And you know I enjoy the videos, I just never have anything witty or fun to say so I enjoy them silently :v:

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
You guys do good work, but I tend to mostly just lurk threads. The only mod suggestion I could really think of from when I played is Silent Hill, but it is absurdly long and maze-like.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I watch just about everything that you guys post, I just really miss detective smushy...

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

I watch just about everything that you guys post, I just really miss detective smushy...

We all do, friend. We all do. :(

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
I played this mod not too long ago with some friends of mine.

We tried two servers. The first one had tanks that for some reason looked like and I think had the same hitbox as hunters, making them incredibly hard to actually see or kill (plus the game kept spawning the fucker at a part where he could very easily punch any of us one time and throw us to our deaths - we died like three times in the same spot before giving up and switching servers). The second one had T-posed zombies all over the place in the third map and then the finale refused to let us actually start it.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Secret Tunnel was a song in Avatar: The Last Airbender. Since he said he'd be impressed if anyone got it. There was a whole episode based around it called the Cave of Two Lovers.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren:Friends, Romans, GOONS! Lend me your bandwidth!:siren:

I have an extremely important announcement.
Christmas and the New Year are right around the corner. This means big changes and some great opportunities.
I will share SOME of the details now, more to come, but suffice it to say this:
I highly recommend anyone who enjoys these videos should join the Steam group, find a microphone, a copy of L4D2 and a free friday night within the next couple of weeks.
Don't pass this up! L4D2 won't last forever. And we have something new lined up...:getin:

There will also be a more detailed post in the Steam group when available.

Also, Chaeden, Jotsam says you nailed it. :thumbsup:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Episode 39: PAIN TRAIN

All aboard the PAIN TRAIN, goons! :bandwagon:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Dooky Dingo posted:

Episode 39: PAIN TRAIN

All aboard the PAIN TRAIN, goons! :bandwagon:

The episode in which The Great Rail-Shooter Debate of 2014 sets the stage for years of animosity between Dingo and Jotsam. :getin:

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
There isn't any resolution above 360p on this video?

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
There is now, might have taken a bit to set up
Edit: I can actually contribute to the thread, that is indeed a AC-130 but it looks like it might be modeled after Azrael, currently on display at the National Air and Space Museum on base at the Wright Patterson Air Force base, Having stood next to the actual plane itself, it's very distinguishable, your Call of Duty knowledge has served you well

JackNapier fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 6, 2014

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

JackNapier posted:

Edit: I can actually contribute to the thread, that is indeed a AC-130 but it looks like it might be modeled after Azrael, currently on display at the National Air and Space Museum on base at the Wright Patterson Air Force base, Having stood next to the actual plane itself, it's very distinguishable, your Call of Duty knowledge has served you well
Well, that and the fact that the AC-130 is pretty much the only turbo-prop cargo plane still in use by the American military any more.
Of course, we still use the A-10 (though not a cargo plane) because those aren't propellers, THEY ARE SPINNING MELEE WEAPONS.:black101:
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrr :rock:

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
Recommendation to the thread, if your ever in the Dayton area of Ohio, the Air and Space museum is a must see, It gives a real perspective on just how far we've come military wise, also, you get to Azrael in person, it's like standing next to a three story building, you'll also get to see my personal favorite aircraft, the SR-71

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

JackNapier posted:

Yep, there now.
Cool stuff, though more train shenanigans would have been better. Zombies jumping out of trees onto the train, having to go from one train to another, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!

Dooky Dingo posted:

:siren:Friends, Romans, GOONS! Lend me your bandwidth!:siren:

I have an extremely important announcement.
Christmas and the New Year are right around the corner. This means big changes and some great opportunities.
I will share SOME of the details now, more to come, but suffice it to say this:
I highly recommend anyone who enjoys these videos should join the Steam group, find a microphone, a copy of L4D2 and a free friday night within the next couple of weeks.
Don't pass this up! L4D2 won't last forever. And we have something new lined up...:getin:

There will also be a more detailed post in the Steam group when available.

Also, Chaeden, Jotsam says you nailed it. :thumbsup:

Of course this happens when my laptop shits the bed and my only internet options are Xbox IE (bad) and my phone (stupid bad).

• Locked thread