Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
My favorite girl.:( Can't say I didn't expect it, though. She just deserves better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Irisize posted:

Man, the series has lost so much life since it started this "Kick everyone out of contention" phase.

I figure it's winding down with all of this happening, so it's not surprising that there's less life to it. If it's not ending, then I seriously don't know what the point of all of this.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Tsugumi had better get a goddamn happy ending.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
So will the true resolution be this quick, or are we in for another 30 chapters of back-and-forth coming up?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Allarion posted:

It'll have to tie up the picture book and the locket, so there'll be some kind of stuff going on I'm sure.

Oh, right. The Tokyo U promise. I completely forgot about those things. Jesus. I hope he just throws the locket into the goddamn ocean and makes his decision on his own.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Wasn't Chitoge the first girl anyway? She basically has to win at this point.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
It's probably going to be some story from before we came in to the story like with Ichijo and Onodera that'll explain why he doesn't mind getting beat all the time.

Ruri is the cutest, though, so I'm glad she may end up happy at the end of this. Shu seems to intend the best for her.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Do Chitoge and Onodera each know that the other likes Ichijo? I honestly can't remember, but if they don't, I can see this as being the time they each find out. And then the hurricane clears up just long enough for them to see part of the meteor shower, and comes back just as they both try to play their hand.

rizzen posted:

I want to believe. They've been killing off characters left and right here, so maybe he finally stops waffling during what must be a golden opportunity where none of them can physically run away from the problem.

It'd be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Yeah, I can see that. Nothing necessarily gets resolved here, but it sets wheels in motion for a finale.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
She lived in America before, though, right? And now her mother lives there, I think. Plus, being an adult doesn't matter if you don't have money, and all of her money comes from her family, so she'd be pretty easily subject to their whims if she doesn't have an excuse to stay in Japan. I don't think it's that out of nowhere, and I don't think it's that she has to so much as it is that she probably will.

I can't imagine Chitoge doesn't come out on top in all of this at this point, though, so it probably doesn't matter.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
With the exception of Ichijo being unconscious, this is basically exactly what I thought would happen. Right down to the eye of the storm poo poo.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Yeah, it's basically going toward the "I never knew how much I needed her until she left" sort of ending. Can't say it's unexpected.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Angry Grimace posted:

The scuttlebutt is that this is ending in 3 chapters.

Good.

e: Also, not surprising.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Skychrono posted:

I'm betting on "finds out who The One is, picks the other one."

I'm hoping it's somehow one of the ones already out of the race.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

BlitzBlast posted:

I want this to end with Raku going "THE PERSON I LOVE IS-" and then it cuts to the sky and ends.

"I have to go now. My planet needs me. "

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Ah, yes. Akamatsu's Gambit.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Maybe he'll make his choice and then we get hijinks with them as a real couple? Something that never happens?

For some reason, I honestly can't see this manga pulling off this type of shift. The thing is that we've already had the "awkward date" chapters with both of the remaining girls, with Chitoge being close enough to Raku that they might as well be dating anyway. Unless they start turning to a full-on gag manga with incidental romance like JWWW, I can't imagine mining these characters for much more than they've already given.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

buzmeg posted:

Ruri and Tsugumi are, by far, the most interesting characters because they initiate things that are completely independent of the main characters.

This manga fails mostly because Raku never does anything useful. The kid is supposed to be the heir to a big yakuza faction. The fact that he *never* does anything truly badass makes it all fall flat.

If he did anything useful or badass, he wouldn't be the boring schlub that Onodera fell for, so there wouldn't be this weird tension. What it would've done, though, was increase the reasons for people like Tsugumi and Marika to like him, which I honestly think would've been more interesting than drawing out the Onodera stuff.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I really thought that Marika coming back would mean that there'd be some jokes or gags or something this chapter, especially after the last chapter was so good. But goddamn is this drama poo poo just the pits. Just walls of text that I genuinely can't be bothered with.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

buzmeg posted:

Where's my Tsugumi spinoff wherein she fights assassins, ninjas, professional wrestlers, and, occasionally, must foil the best laid plans of Marika?

You could basically just redo Gunsmith Cats with Tsugumi and Paula, but with less nudity and sex.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Angry Grimace posted:

I bet you the epilogue of this series shows them meet up after college and Chitoge's got a ring on it, but all of the other girls are single, blush when Raku talks to them, and are internally sad.

In a sane universe this is the last chapter.

http://mangafast.online/manga/nisekoi/227

Chitoge's got a ring on, but it's not from Raku. Tsugumi comes into frame, also has a ring. Raku and Onodera girls own a candy store together, but he and Kosaki still just fidget and fuss all of the time instead of actually going out, forever trapped in the hell they've each created for themselves.

e:
Also, chapters like this are always kinda weird. "I like you." "Really? I've got a lot of problems, and am not fond of my own personality. You're OK with dating literal garbage?" "Yup."

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 21, 2016

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Angry Grimace posted:

The spoilers for this chapter are out (confirmed to be last chapter) and good god:

Onodera not only loses, its shown that she's making the wedding cake for Raku and Chitoge. loving savage; she not only loses, but she has to pine for Raku for eternity while pretending to be happy that she got viciously NTR'd.

:sbahj:
I mean, there's tying up you character stories in a way that lets them still be around each other, and then there's this poo poo. Holy hell.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Tsugumi should've been head of Beehive this is bullshit.

At least everyone seems happy. I really don't know how to make time skip endings genuinely enjoyable, so at least this one wasn't actively bad. I'm honestly just glad it's over at this point.

The Onodera part wasn't as savage as advertised, so I rescind my earlier comment. People reading a bit too much into things. Also,

Terper posted:

Well, at least I'm glad for Y-san.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Tae posted:

I never understood so many people following years of a manga they hate

Sunk cost fallacy, sort of. It started out as silly and pretty genuinely entertaining, and then devolved into 100% will-they-won't-they poo poo. I guess it was sort of inevitable, given the premise, but saving it for when you're ending it is a bit of a mistake, especially when you also take the time to basically kill off every other rival but the main 2.

• Locked thread