Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chilichimp posted:

He hasn't filed his retirement papers, so that's not even a joke.

The Falcons had to cut him to avoid paying 3 million in base salary to him this year.

He already said he's open to coming back next year late in the season for a playoff contender. So if Gronk or Julius Thomas gets injured, he'll probably show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

I wouldn't be surprised at all with a KC return, even if for nothing more than a retirement ceremony.

I don't really want him in KC any more. We need to let our TEs try, and hopefully they'll be healthy this year.

But whatever.

I knew he got cut because he hadn't filed papers, which made me think that it's probably his plan to sign with the most likely to be superbowl bound team around week 8.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If Gonzo comes back what will he do when he scores a TD :ohdear:

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

IcePhoenix posted:

Like rules have ever slowed down a man as glorious as he.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Megatron
Tate
Bush
Gonzo

Watkins :twisted:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Next name for Champ Bay Leaf needs to be Aqib Talib Kweli

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
...Greene. Monster.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Megatron
Tate
Bush
Gonzo

Watkins :twisted:

Bell?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

IcePhoenix posted:

Just the Lambeau Leap. Every team should just do the Lambeau Leap or hand the ball directly to the refs.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Bush is the bigger name so I put him on instead.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Say thank you to Tyler Bray.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
raiders currently scouting journeyman linebacker welsley pastit from the cfl

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Pats sign noted jerk Will Smith.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I forget, what did he do?

Other than get old enough for the Pats to sign him.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Grittybeard posted:

I forget, what did he do?

Other than get old enough for the Pats to sign him.

One of the big locker room ringleaders of the bounty scandal

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Strange, I don't remember this being a thing in past years:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/05/teams-have-80362-for-udfa-signing-bonuses/

quote:

To lure a class of undrafted free agents, the teams will have up to $80,362 each for signing bonuses or amounts treated as signing bonuses to offer. That’s a total amount per team, not per player.

I have no idea what the goal is.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Okay, so reports are that the following tight ends were from the same draft class:

Jimmy Graham
Rob Gronkowski
Aaron Hernandez
Dennis Pitta
Jermaine Gresham
Andrew Quarless
Ed Dickson
Tony Moeaki

That is in order of greatness as asserted by me... that certainly was a deep draft class for Tight Ends. And the Falcons came out of it with loving nothing.
Lets take a moment to reflect back on the fact that Scott Pioli traded up so he could select Tony Moeaki over Jimmy Graham.

In short, gently caress Scott Pioli.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Coldforge posted:

I have no idea what the goal is.

Maybe things like the Burfict situation where the team didn't even want to spend $1k on a signing bonus so he could move to Cincinnati? Now they have a pool of free money to get guys out to camp so maybe fewer guys will get "left out" due to not being able to afford leaving home

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Azhais posted:

Maybe things like the Burfict situation where the team didn't even want to spend $1k on a signing bonus so he could move to Cincinnati? Now they have a pool of free money to get guys out to camp so maybe fewer guys will get "left out" due to not being able to afford leaving home

It's not split out from the salary cap. It's just a specific spending limit within the salary cap.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Coldforge posted:

It's not split out from the salary cap. It's just a specific spending limit within the salary cap.

Oh, I read your comment as being some sort of NFLPA bonus money gimmick for UDFA.

Maybe to ensure some sort of parity so a team can't just use cap space to out entice UDFAs? :iiam:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Coldforge posted:

Maybe they want to prevent/limit UDFA guys earning more than 7th rounders or something dumb like that? Not that there was much of that going on I don't think.

Are you sure this is new? It seems like something that might have been changed in the last CBA.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Grittybeard posted:

Maybe they want to prevent/limit UDFA guys earning more than 7th rounders or something dumb like that? Not that there was much of that going on I don't think.

Are you sure this is new? It seems like something that might have been changed in the last CBA.

Not at all sure, but I don't remember hearing about it before.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Grittybeard posted:

Maybe they want to prevent/limit UDFA guys earning more than 7th rounders or something dumb like that?

Wouldn't this be considered collusion? Like when they were saying that teams agreed to lowball FA's a few seasons ago? Artificially limiting their pay outside of the salary cap seems like the sort of thing that would be frowned upon.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I can't even pretend to know what I'm talking about here, but my guess would be since it's collectively bargained it isn't collusion? The PFT thing says the NFLPA agreed to it at least.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Gerty posted:

Wasn't it a plantar fascia thing that held Antonio Gates back for 3 years? I hope Jimmy Graham's injury isn't that bad.

"Gronk's injury history keeps him down (don't worry Jimmy Graham's gonna be the only guy in the history of the world where plantar fasciitis isn't a long and nagging thing)"

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Thank God the NFL finally did something to stop the Raiders from stockpiling all the UDFA's and wrecking everyone every year. The reign of tyranny has ended.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

LiquidFriend posted:

Lets take a moment to reflect back on the fact that Scott Pioli traded up so he could select Tony Moeaki over Jimmy Graham.

So not only did he trade Tony Gonzalez away to Atlanta, he selected Tony "glass knees" Moeaki over Jimmy Graham, thus creating the perfect situation for a Tony G KC play-off run return (just to be bounced out of the wildcard round, because gently caress Tony's luck.)

Yeah, why the gently caress did Atlanta hire this clown again? Just so he could say obvious poo poo how he knew the club was in trouble after no one hosed up Vaccaro after this play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQj0lE8UT-0

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Someone needs to provide valuable insight into a mega signing like Tyson Jackson!

In other news, Alex Smith is reportedly seeking an average of 19 million per season. :staredog:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Wait, "per season"? Not "for the rest of his career"? :psyberger:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
If Alex Smith gets $19MM AAV, he better earmark $5MM a piece for Andy Reid and Jim Harbaugh because before Harbaugh got his mitts on him, the league was ready to pass him by.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

If Alex Smith gets an average of 19 a season, PB would be completely insufferable until he exploded from all the rage. For once though, it'd be completely understandable rage.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

LiquidFriend posted:

If Alex Smith gets an average of 19 a season, PB would be completely insufferable until he exploded from all the rage. For once though, it'd be completely understandable rage.

I would just say "$19 mill a year" every time he hosed up. (It would be the only thing I would post)

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Parmesan Basil posted:

I would just say "$19 mill a year" every time he hosed up. (It would be the only thing I would post)

Can I toxx this? I really want to toxx this.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Coldforge posted:

Not at all sure, but I don't remember hearing about it before.

It seems like one of those weird things that flys under the radar but I don't ever remember hearing about it before. I guess the reason as mentioned above is to ensure it's not more lucrative to be a UDFA than to be drafted. I kind of think a team like the Raiders should be exempt though given they've got a million holes on their roster that need filling.

NEDIT:

Alex Smith is nuts that's more money than Rivers gets. I think he'd be more in the Carson Palmer vicinity of 26 over 3.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Agreed. It's not like he needs the money either. Smith was a number one overall pick well before the new CBA rules.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

LiquidFriend posted:

Someone needs to provide valuable insight into a mega signing like Tyson Jackson!

In other news, Alex Smith is reportedly seeking an average of 19 million per season. :staredog:

Well he has as many playoff wins as Matty Ice and :romo:. And he has more wins than Doug Flutie, Trent Green, Andy Dalton and YA Tittle, by the transitive property he should be getting paid as much as if not more than all of them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm just going to hope that's an irrationally optimistic opening position...

Until it turns out that's what KC gives him.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

waah posted:

Well he has as many playoff wins as Matty Ice and :romo:. And he has more wins than Doug Flutie, Trent Green, Andy Dalton and YA Tittle, by the transitive property he should be getting paid as much as if not more than all of them.
Sounds like excellent reasons to pay him Peyton Manning money.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LiquidFriend posted:

To be fair, nobody knew who the hell Jimmy Graham was and what he could do when he was drafted. I know we were all bumfuzzled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

To be fair, nobody knew who the hell Jimmy Graham was and what he could do when he was drafted. I know we were all bumfuzzled.
I think it's fair to say teams should of known enough to select him over a forever broken Tony Moeaki.

• Locked thread