Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

DangerKat posted:

Man, Zimmer/Spielman must really like what they see in Everson Griffin if all Johnson got was literally an extra $1m.

My understanding is that the Vikings didn't turn Johnson down, it was the other way around. Griffen set the market for DEs and it is also worth noting, that Florida has no state income tax, so maybe that offsets the risk of contracting MRSA. It will be interesting to see how Zimmer and Edwards intend to use Griffen. I don't think he was their first choice, but it was clear that they didn't want to be on the outside looking in on the DE market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Shath Hole posted:

Tyson Jackson news:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports free agent DE Tyson Jackson is drawing an "impressive amount of interest," with the Dolphins, Browns and Falcons among his potential suitors.
Per Rapsheet, the Chiefs also remain in play. The 2009 first-rounder had a career year under Andy Reid and DC Bob Sutton last season, logging 34 tackles and four sacks across 509 snaps while faring well against the run.

Apparently Atlanta is only interested in KC cast offs. We will take all your McClusters as well!

god we are going to address a bunch of non-needs again aren't we

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

mcmagic posted:

I'm surprised the Bills were so high... I still think Byrd won't look awful in any system.

They had the Bills as second against the pass.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Joique Bell 2 year extension, thank Christ.

Bell is easily my favorite player. He is just so confident when he gets the ball. Sign him forever.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chichevache posted:

They had the Bills as second against the pass.

Maybe that's because they had the best coverage safety in the NFL? or at least one of the 3 best...

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I'm surprised the Bills were so high... I still think Byrd won't look awful in any system.

Yeah, the Bills defense was shockingly good last year, which makes the departure of Pettine all that much more painful. But Byrd has played for some very lovely Buffalo defenses and still was playing like a top-tier safety. Guy's played in four different NFL schemes already, heh.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

darkforce898 posted:

Bell is easily my favorite player. He is just so confident when he gets the ball. Sign him forever.

He's an absolute perfect fit for the team.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I've always liked Jennings. I loved the McKenzie hire when it happened but I thought the whole idea of last years team was short contracts and resigning the players that deserved it to build a team. Just letting everyone go, combined with things like the Tyler Wilson pick, equates a bad gm with a short lifespan.

I think the biggest issue I've had with all of reports of the last 2 weeks is that the plan has always been "deal with giant dead cap issue, sign vets to short contracts to prove their value, keep your own players, rebuild through the draft".

So far they have dealt with the giant dead cap issue but are not resigning the vets who outplayed their contracts, are not keeping their own players who are good, and have drafted terribly.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Atlanta retains Babs, which is a very good thing.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m

Falcons DT Jonathan Babineaux agreed to terms on a 3-year contract extension, per source.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

I think the biggest issue I've had with all of reports of the last 2 weeks is that the plan has always been "deal with giant dead cap issue, sign vets to short contracts to prove their value, keep your own players, rebuild through the draft".

So far they have dealt with the giant dead cap issue but are not resigning the vets who outplayed their contracts, are not keeping their own players who are good, and have drafted terribly.

I'm still waiting to see, despite my current pessimism. I'd rather Reggie pay a dozen tier 2/3 guys 2-6 million a year than a Revis. The whole roster needs to be flipped over and I still don't think Veldheer/Houston are gone

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

How is there a deal announced with the Bucs and Michael Johnson? I thought free agency starts 4 EST.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

How is there a deal announced with the Bucs and Michael Johnson? I thought free agency starts 4 EST.

"Legal tampering"

e:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000148990/article/nfl-memo-to-teams-explains-tamperingwindow-rules

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

It was agreed to in principal and will be signed tonight presumably.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
The #Browns have emerged as the team to beat for Karlos Dansby, per source. #Titans, #Cardinals feel they are out.

browns

team to beat

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Should I buy into these Revis rumors?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Vertical Lime posted:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
The #Browns have emerged as the team to beat for Karlos Dansby, per source. #Titans, #Cardinals feel they are out.

browns

team to beat

For a 32 year old linebacker. Seems like a very Browns move.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Dianna Marie Russini ‏@NBCdianna 11m
Sources say it will be between the Eagles or The Redskins for Jairus Byrd #NFLFreeAgency

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

mcmagic posted:

Sources say it will be between the Eagles or The Redskins for Jairus Byrd #NFLFreeAgency

As much as I love the idea of Byrd playing safety rather than Patrick Chung, I don't want to pay him 9 mil/yr. But, on the other hand, gently caress the Redskins.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Vertical Lime posted:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

browns

team to beat

The cardinals GM basically said that players over 29-30 will be thoroughly evaluated before giving a deal longer than 2 years to. When the wheels fall off, they fall off quickly.

I love Dansby, but no ill will. Make your money!

Cardinals offered 2/10-12.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

Shath Hole posted:

Tyson Jackson news:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports free agent DE Tyson Jackson is drawing an "impressive amount of interest," with the Dolphins, Browns and Falcons among his potential suitors.
Per Rapsheet, the Chiefs also remain in play. The 2009 first-rounder had a career year under Andy Reid and DC Bob Sutton last season, logging 34 tackles and four sacks across 509 snaps while faring well against the run.

Apparently Atlanta is only interested in KC cast offs. We will take all your McClusters as well!

Pioli is stubborn as gently caress. He just wants to prove his picks were worthy. He did the same poo poo with Cassel.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Hmm, Raiders now jumping into the Revis rumor pool.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Quite possibly less embarrassing Browns news

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
The #Raiders are, in fact, in it for Darrelle Revis, per source (@VicTafur said). #Browns may be a bit more attractive to trade with, though

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Whip Slagcheek posted:

For a 32 year old linebacker. Seems like a very Browns move.

Karlos Dansby is still really good and I'm sure he won't get signed for like 5 years guaranteed or something

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Man, besides the draft war rooms, I would absolutely love to be in on the front offices today. The atmosphere while trying to pull players into your organization has to be amazing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Revis makes no sense for the Browns (too much money would be tied up in 2 CB's) or the Raiders (When you're that bad CB's don't make much of a difference). Weird dynamic.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

quote:

@NFLDraftBites 10m

Jaguars opportunity jump in late Lamarr Houston. State tax discrepancy & Jags space leverage Houston's camp getting every last $ from Bears

The Illinois government finding new and fascinating ways to ruin my day. :shepicide:

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Chichevache posted:

FO has the Bills ranked 4th and Washington ranked 22nd. There is a pretty big difference between the surrounding casts of those teams.

The Redskins defensive system for safeties is basically "cover deep for when Deangelo Hall gets beat 5 times a game."

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

DupaDupa posted:

The Illinois government finding new and fascinating ways to ruin my day. :shepicide:

This loving state is so corrupt. This has prevented the Bulls from bringing in free agents as well.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Shath Hole posted:

Man, besides the draft war rooms, I would absolutely love to be in on the front offices today.

Let me help you. Found a pic of Reggie McKenzie's office.

Toymachine fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 11, 2014

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

How'd you even get in here JaMarcus?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Revis makes no sense for the Browns (too much money would be tied up in 2 CB's) or the Raiders (When you're that bad CB's don't make much of a difference). Weird dynamic.

Yeah I agree. He ideally would go to some team with:

1) A bunch of cap space over the next few years
2) Doesn't have a #1 CB or a guy with that type of contract
3) Probably should be competitive in the next year or so
4) Actually uses man cover corners (I don't know which teams do this off the top of my head)

I think this probably fits Indy, NYJ and Philly the most?

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
Man, Tillman is really gonna leave, isn't he? Hester and Tillman were my favorite Bears players for so long :( I hope they both land in TB so I can root for New Bears South.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Les Bowen, Eagles beat reporter, tweeted yesterday that the Eagles were "very interested" in Corey Graham. Can someone tell me something about him?

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Les Bowen, Eagles beat reporter, tweeted yesterday that the Eagles were "very interested" in Corey Graham. Can someone tell me something about him?

Ex-Bear and Ex-Raven, was a great special teamer in Chicago but never a great corner, came into his own in Baltimore. I'd call him a solid starter now.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Definition of a mediocre corner, I'd like the Ravens to keep him for cheap as third CB.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Definition of a mediocre corner, I'd like the Ravens to keep him for cheap as third CB.

So Cary Williams minus the dumb penalties? :smithicide:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mcmagic posted:

Byrd :swoon:

Go away Dan, no one likes you

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Whip Slagcheek posted:

So Cary Williams minus the dumb penalties? :smithicide:

Not as likely to get his hands on the ball as Williams but also less likely to give up 10 yard receptions due to 15 yard cushions. But yeah, way less of a dickhead.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I can't tell whether Revis ending up on the Raiders and being the highest-paid CB in the league after all of his bitching over Nnamdi's $16m/year would be hilarious or just sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

DOOP posted:

Byrd :swoon:

Go away Dan, no one likes you

I bet Haynesworth likes him ok

• Locked thread