Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I made the mistake of listening to Dave Ramsey's radio show this week. Also the finance related commercials on conservative talk radio are loving hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

*Yankee doodle dandy plays in the background*

Well fellow patriot, have you ever considered an all gold portfolio?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Last June I set some 12 month financial goals for myself and I'm going to hit the last one tonight when my paycheck clears!

Its hard to believe that 10 months ago I had no job, no car, no retirement, $200 in savings, and $8000 in student loan debt. As of tonight I'll be employed, with a car, 13k in retirement, a $10k emergency fund, and no debt. :)

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
On the subject of hiking, I bought a pair of danners for $200 last month. An impulse purchase for sure but man are they comfy.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Ramsey is fine for personal budgeting but don't listen to anything he says about investing.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Oof. I was on track to hit my goal of paying off the 13k left on my car by Jan 1 until I got hit with a $450 bill for brakes pads and rotors on Saturday and another $550 bill for dental work today. Please practice good dental hygiene BFC.

edit: Also try not to put 36k miles on your first car in 14 months :negative:

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 29, 2014

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Probably should have mentioned I bought it used with 15k already on it. I've been meaning to learn how to do basic car maintenance but I keep putting it off because video games.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
When throwing an engagement party, is it expected that the host is going to foot the bill? My gf's friend invited everyone to see him propose at a restaurant and didn't pick up the tab (opting to split it equally among 15 people). I got the sense that a few people were perturbed when the bill was passed around.

So now I'm out an unexpected $100 for 2 entrees and I didn't even get liquor :eyepop:.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
So uhh, has anyone had to cancel a credit card due to a fraudulent charge and then cancel the replacement card for a near identical fraudulent charge less than 24 hours later? I didn't even get the replacement card in the mail yet.

What the gently caress Chase?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I killed off my car loan and lowered my insurance premium today. 13k gone but drat it feels good to a gangster.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

tuyop posted:

If you were going to travel for four months in September, what would be the most BFCest way to travel?

I'm thinking like bike tour around rural China would be pretty awesome and also frugal.

Really anywhere in SE Asia. Thailand and Laos are pretty cheap from what I hear. The only expensive item is the plane ticket, but you can get around it with some creative credit card churning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
drat that better be a dope rear end couch. $4000 is what its costing my girlfriend and I to furnish our apartment this week. Our couch is a weak 78 inches long though.