Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I did not eat out today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I'm glad everyone is talking about HTPCs. I've had one for 3 or 4 years now and it's paid for itself. I was thinking about upgrading it so it boots faster, but is it really worth it to enjoy Archer or Workaholics 15 seconds sooner?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I ate out today :(

It couldn't be helped. I live close to my office, but I had to go to a customer location on short notice.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

Why didn't you just not eat? Are you a slave to food???

I know, right? Every other day it's food, food, food.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
My wife spent 4 days on the opposite coast for work, and I basically ate all the old stuff in the freezer and pantry. It felt wonderful.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

pancaek posted:

organic, free-range foie gras every day

Does this really exist?

I will not be eating out today. Turkey and provolone sandwich with carrots and hummus, oh yeah :cool:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

Like I said, nobody cares about me and my journey of BASIL, locomotion-related mishaps and self-discovery. :qq:

Edit: I also made this but i think like .4 people saw it and I want more attention so.

I admire what you've accomplished. I never thought you would get to the place you are today, and I've enjoyed your insights in other people's threads.

I liked your song, too :glomp:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

Man, I put my wife in charge of the budget last month and it's a goddamn mess. She's always been totally on board with it, and we work together on goals, but I always did the software part for us. I totally forgot that I learned those skills over like three years. It's so hard to let go and let her figure it out.

I recommend switching roles like this, it's really informative.

I am totally going to do this! What a great idea!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Fruit (fresh preferred) and nuts are my go-to snack at work.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Since most people already have a pocket-sized arcade machine with them every day, an actual arcade is just an anachronism at this point.

Edit: I'm a guy who built his own MAME cabinet so it's not like I'm not rooting for you. I just know the days of the arcade are over.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 17, 2014

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

dreesemonkey posted:

Just makes me a little weary.

:eng101: "Wary" is the word you are looking for.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Haha, I'm in a similar situation. I'm debt free except for my mortgage, which I could pay off in about 2 years. I sold my car since I got a company car, and I was thinking of buying a roadster with some of the money from that. I'm still looking at the costs associated with keeping an extra car around, but I think the pleasure of an open top fun car will be worth it. If not, I could always sell it and recoup some money.

First world problems all up in here.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Not a Children posted:

I'm an idiot and didn't realize that I'd get a refund on my state income tax. Now I have $300 more than I budgeted for. The first thing that flashed through my mind when I saw the deposit on Mint was "Yesss now I finally have an excuse to buy a 3ds." I'm already set to meet my savings goals for this month, someone convince me that I should stop myself from blowing this windfall on video games.

I have a used 3ds that I'm not using and some games and could stretch your money further than buying new :D

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

SiGmA_X posted:

M coupe > M roadster. Just sayin. Get a clownshoe! (Or an M3, they have better suspension. Do it!)

Not quite what I was thinking. I want a Miata :D

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Tuyop's in Canada, so Uncle Sam can't touch him.

I just listened to that This American Life story. Even the owner of the website wouldn't use it, why did he expect it to become a thriving business venture?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Oh he said that? I had to go into a store so I didn't get to finish it. Was the reason he wouldn't use it just because he prefers to go through the IRS himself or did he have better reasons?

Anyway I emailed that site to a few friends, one is always complaining about his boss and mentioning ways he's cheating on his taxes.

He basically said it just wasn't something that he would do. I guess he thought people were more vindictive than he is.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

EugeneJ posted:

Has anyone successfully got married and kept their finances completely separate?

Like, no joint-checking accounts and no snooping?

A friend of mine has a marriage like this. It pretty much breaks down to him spending all of his money on the bills and house, and she runs around on expensive vacations.

I don't know how he hasn't snapped yet.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

FrozenVent posted:

That's... Not a marriage, that's some weird cohabitation arrangement.
Tell me about it. I think she's just waiting until her kids are grown and out of the house.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
My work changed from vanguard to Merrill and automatically changed my plan choices. The expense ratios went from .08 to 1.2 or more. I'm pissed that I waited 6 months to look it over.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

FrozenVent posted:

Not having some sort of roadside assistance plan in place seems like being bad with money to me.

My plan is to keep up with maintenance and have a good, aired up spare tire. I've needed exactly one tow in 16 years of driving, and that was for a burst coolant hose.

Not having even basic knowledge of car mechanicals and maintenance is being bad with money. Take some time to learn about the machines you rely on for transportation.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I went mountain biking yesterday morning and was having a great ride until I took a jump badly and bent the hell out of my wheel. It caught up in the forks and threw me end over end (my right clip never disengaged). Thankfully I'm unhurt, but my fun-money this month just took a big hit :(

I have to get this fixed and get riding, as it's only 6 weeks until the big event.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

Compared to, say, nearly $100 in loving plastic cooking utensils, the quality of which is really indistinguishable from spending ten dollars on very similar stuff at a dollar store. I mean, there is no way that those utensils are almost ten times as nice as cheap ones.

The link you posted says $60 and while it's still more than dollar store stuff, it's not that crazy. I bought the dollar store utensils when I first moved out, and they started chipping or melting from the heat. I don't want to think about how much plastic I ingested before I replaced them one at a time.

Humorously, we tend to buy Oxo stuff in our household. It's much higher quality, and is designed well.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Cars fetch around $300 for scrap nowadays. Mystery solved.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

EugeneJ posted:

After having an $800 car that used to stall out randomly in heavy traffic, I'd rather pay extra to not ever experience that again

Anyone here ever use CarMax before? Good experiences? Bad experiences?

I tried to sell them my car, they offered me less than $3k for it. I sold it the very next day private party for $5850.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

So BFC I'm gonna have like... I dunno, 4 grand more in net income over the next year compared to my last year. Which is significant for me.

Everyone pick a BFC superstar and give me "advice" as if you were them.

Hire an artist to put a scorpion mural on your wall.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

three posted:

I feel like I would be upset with a quick offer of asking price because I'd be upset I didn't list it higher.

That's why you put your asking price at what you would be delighted to receive. If you get it, don't second-guess yourself.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm planning on building one fairly soon as well. If you're not gaming you can save a good chunk of change since the haswell processors have integrated graphics that are completely acceptable. Assuming you're not playing 3D intensive games, you could get a really capable machine for ~$600-700 and put a nice chunk towards a really nice monitor/monitors etc.

I bought a pink Asus laptop for my wife for $350 from woot, and it has been awesome. I'm surprised at how nice the screen is, and how fast it operates. Of course, this is mainly for schoolwork and skype, but there is no need to spend that much on a computer nowadays.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

moana posted:

Nocheez, which Asus did you get?

This one:
http://electronics.woot.com/offers/asus-15-6-dual-core-i3-laptop-7

I looked it up, and it was $330 + $5 for shipping.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Transmogrifier posted:

:sigh: I lost 80 dollars in cash the other day. I really need to get into the better habit of putting my money in my wallet instead of my pocket. On the other hand, I got nearly ten hours of overtime so my next check will sort of make up for the dumb mistake.

I am the only person I know who regularly takes walks for a break at work. One day while walking I found a twenty dollar bill. I didn't see anyone else around, but I kept an eye open for someone looking for missing money. A few minutes later, I found another twenty. I still never saw anyone around, walking or driving.

I took my wife out for dinner that night. Thanks, careless person, for dropping your money and not even going back for it!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Give me some. I had to go to urgent care and the ER this week due to a really nasty virus. 103.6° fevers are rough :(

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Yesterday my wife surprised me by calling from work with something she had been thinking about. We're saving for a new home to get ready to start our family, and are about 60% to our savings goal. We expect to be ready to buy a new home in about a year at our current savings rate.

She decided that since she is still working on her Masters degree that we should wait until after she has it to move. Her thinking was that she might get a good job offer and if we had recently bought a house it would be very difficult (and expensive) to move again.

My wife usually just wants me to take control of the financial part of our life, but I was so excited that she was thinking so far into the future and wanting to do the right thing - even if that thing means putting off buying a new home for a few more years.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Bugamol posted:

I'll post one when I get home if I remember. I've been parking it in the garage too since it's pretty obvious if you wiggled the window enough you could probably get it to fall.

That's a normal enough process, I've done it a few times myself. Just take your time, make sure everything is lined up and adjusted properly, and it shouldn't take very long.

I did this a few years ago and the other one to get out of all junk mail. It was great, until my wife moved in and was too lazy to fill out the forms. Now we get just as much crap as before :(

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Omne posted:

Did someone just finish up paying off $25k in credit card debt today? Why yes, yes I did

Awesome! How long did it take to do?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
The idea of moving to Florida and lowering your insurance and getting rid of uninsured coverage makes me queasy.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Nail Rat posted:

The box of Stella hiding out makes that photo.

Pretty sure that is Rotella.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Arabian Jesus posted:

I can officially say I've broken my daily coffee habit. Those $2 a day really do add up over time.

I'm working on my energy drink habit. I found that Aldis sells a very good Red Bull knockoff for about $.60/can, but I didn't buy any on my grocery run yesterday.

However, I cannot break my Clif bar habit. The Aldi version is tasty and actually a little bit better nutritionally than the Clif brand, but I just can't get my butt moving in the morning to make breakfast. A granola bar and a piece of fruit (usually a pear) are fast and easy enough that I can eat at my desk when starting my day.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I highly doubt you needed new rotors 36k miles in, but either way you should try to do your own basic car maintenance when you can. Pads are usually less than $50 a set for each front and rear.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Lazerbeam posted:

Is it okay to leave a job after around 6 months for the next stepping stone on your career path?

You might be burning a bridge by doing so, but if it's worth it then you gotta do what's right for you.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
My 401k just hit $99,970 today. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Nail Rat posted: