Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

moana posted:

This just seems like a lovely feel-good proposal that would be absolute hell trying to enforce, and would result in a billion subjective calls by the fund's management. What constitutes "contributing to genocide"? It could be anything from defense contractors to oil companies to any Israeli company to whatever. I don't think there are a lot of companies that have a mission statement of like "eliminate those drat Tutsi" so really it would be completely unenforceable.

Is absolutely is, and you just know some group of regular troublemakers put it forward. The board recommendation is to vote NO to that. And they're right. If you want some fund that matches your ethical profile they absolutely do exist, so go buy that one and gently caress off of my INDEX funds, which are not supposed to be making ethical/moral/judgement calls but indexing a market segment or total market.

From what I recall voting isn't over for at least another couple weeks, but I don't really remember because I just voted as soon as I got the notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

Their website is stating the opposite for this one.

Yeah...looks like this isn't an issue.

Dealing with freezing and unfreezing reports at Experian, Equifax, Tansunion, Innovis and Chex cost me like $30 (depends on what state you are in) and took about 45 minutes. Experian didn't work and wants me to send in documentation - I'm going to try to call them.

https://www.experian.com/ncaconline/freeze

https://freeze.transunion.com/sf/securityFreeze/landingPage.jsp

https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freeze/jsp/SFF_PersonalIDInfo.jsp

https://www.innovis.com/securityFreeze/index

https://www.chexsystems.com/web/chexsystems/consumerdebit/page/securityfreeze/placefreeze/

(Chex requires zip+4 - you can look that up at USPS: https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action)

There have also been multiple reports that seem to indicate an increase in the rate of scammers, potentially using this information, requesting replacement DEBIT CARDS and poo poo, which is truly terrifying. Some of them are staking out mailboxes, some have tried to change addresses/add mail forwards - all the standard tricks.

This is going to be a wild ride. I'll be talking with my primary bank as well as my brokerage/bank on Monday morning to see what they can do about this - like, freeze any requests for card reissues without a pin/passcode or something.

Oh, and my favorite, from the desk of the Equifax CSO who's educational background consists of nothing but music school (and has since blocked her linkedin profile): The PIN you get when you request a freeze is 090917xxxx. Yes, 10 digits, with the first 6 being a date stamp. It appears that the last 4 are a time stamp, at least on mine. It is also presented on an embedded PDF document at the end of the process, so people trying to do this on mobile/tablets that can't display this are not receiving their pins and will have to deal with how to sort that out later.

Which shouldn't be too hard for anyone, because you can get a PIN reset by providing some of the exact information Equifax lost in this incident.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Innovis I'm new to, but Chex is what most if not all banks use to verify your identity when you open up a new bank account.

Innovis is like Equifax/Experian/Transunion, just smaller.

drainpipe posted:

I currently use Credit Karma to monitor my credit. Is that good enough to detect when someone's trying to use my identity or does it miss things?

As mentioned already, that only tracks 2 bureaus. Even if it tracked them all you need to understand that any monitoring, no matter how good, is inherently reactive rather than proactive. By the time you see the problem something bad has already happened. Maybe you can prevent more bad thing from happening that would have otherwise........but how would you do that once you found out? By freezing your credit reports.

I've decided to be proactive based on this news. It's a huge pain in the rear end and:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

WHY DO SO MANY COMPANIES WITH WHOM I HAVE NO BUSINESS HAVE SUCH SUBSTANTIAL ACCESS TO MY PERSONAL INFORMATION.

I also filed a CFPB complaint: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

How do you protect against scams like ordering replacement debit cards or loving with your brokerage accounts? Credit card and fraudulent accounts are one thing that can be disputed and dealt with but having actual money stolen from you with your personal information is a much more difficult problem.

I'll report back when I talk to the two banks I have debit cards from tomorrow morning.

I'm hoping they can at least require a PIN to re-order one. Better yet showing up in person. There is literally no situation I could think of where I'd need a lost debit card replaced while traveling considering if I were in that kind of a pickle and needed cash I could cash advance a credit card, find someone locally to paypal money to, get money wired to me or any other number of things.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dkj posted:

Didn't have my final check prepared

This is illegal in California. You need to tell them they will have it for you by close of business tomorrow with all outstanding reimbursements or you will be filing with CA Labor and Workforce the following morning.

This should make you eligible for unemployment, and L&W will confirm if that's the case.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Did anyone so far give you a reason why you're being turned down? Just because of being a contractor?

That's not a valid reason. I've been through this with rentals and mortgages.

There is another part of this story that hasn't been told yet.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enfys posted:

A couple with undeclared fluctuating income, poor credit, a fleet of vehicles and trailers (including a new motorcycle purchased to improve your credit score), "it's not the best money time ever but my income is going to triple soon", rabbits, severe allergies that prohibit roommates, and friends who will "help me with some paystubs"

Whatever could the problem be?

Someone needs to activate the buried lede alarm.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I just wrote a check for $27,576 to pay off one of my mortgages.

gently caress. Yes. I don't care about BWM or not. That's a mental win.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sellouts posted:

I am starting an s-Corp. I would like to keep track of both invoicing and receipts/expenses across several clients, both for my knowledge and to easily hand over to my tax professional.

I would like as much automation towards reconciling and coding my card as much as possible so my business manager can accurately pay it.

What is the recommended software to do both of these things? Is it something like Expensify and Quickbooks or something that is more all in one?

Freshbooks works fine for me for the last 4 years or so.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arkangelus posted:

I remember a long time ago there was a small thread here talking about the financials of working as a driver for Lyft/Uber. Archives now I'm sure.

From what I remember most posters were down on the idea either because the driver is leveraging the value of their vehicle in the process or due to the insurance liabilities involved.
I'm currently considering it while I wait for my next gig to start and was curious if the consensus was still largely the same.

For reference for vehicle value - my car has much lower mileage than average for its year/make/model. According to blue book if I put 10000 miles on it I'd lose about $350 and 30000 about $1100.
Also a link to Uber's policy regarding insurance while 'on the clock' so to speak: https://www.uber.com/drive/insurance/
If I remember right the issue with insurance was as much your private insurance arguing that you were working as Uber arguing you weren't though so I'm not sure how much that matters.

At all times, and reconfirmed recently, most Uber drivers are trading vehicle depreciation for less than minimum wage.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ests/389230002/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’ve got no idea how driving for Order Up compares to Uber

Acting as a livery driver is pretty significantly different than delivering objects in terms of insurance risk.

Food deliveries don't sue for medical costs after an accident.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Or if you 100% want to guarantee that funds aren't sitting in ACH limbo, or to get above ACH limits, gently caress checks, double gently caress cashiers checks, etc. I used a wire to fund my house because they are free for my account and I can get instantaneous updates on where they are going. If you coordinate everything on both sides you can have fully cleared money to someone in under an hour.

Yeah, I don't understand the wire hate that seems to come up whenever wires are mentioned. I mean, I get it - we all hate bank fees. But there still isn't another reasonable option for large transfers, especially over distance/between countries.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

This used to be a good thread, why is it now the zaurg thread?

:wellpiss:

I paid for that, so I'm gonna keep using it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You just effortposted to Azrgu. Are you new here?

Thread the 4th, 9 years later: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827922

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

I have no idea how repossessed cars work

Well, let's think about it: it's a car that a person couldn't afford to keep up with the payment to the point that is was repossessed. What are the chances they were spending money on maintaining it properly?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That sounds like an odd choice/offer. What's going on at that org? Is management fundamentally broken and this is her way of wiping the slate clean and starting over from scratch?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blood money for retirement.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I feel like there might even be another good reason to give plasma, but hell, can't quite put my finger on it!

To enrich the profits of the blood products industry?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

For booking personally I would start with a dedicated Google calendar and make sure it syncs everywhere. Billing is 99% an exercise in discipline - making sure to take the time to write down what you did, when, and for how long. Do this whatever way you will stick to, physical journal, onenote/Evernote, whatever. It's part of the job but overhead is boring.

When I was still doing freelance work I switched to Freshbooks. With the phone app to start/stop a billing timer I made more money than it cost by far from the very first month (accurate time keeping, rather than me going back several days later going "I think I was there for 3 1/2 hours.....we'll just call it 3 to be fair".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

One key thing: if you don't like the question, don't accept the premise. Never be afraid to steer the conversation in a way that you want it to go.

I have no idea what you're talking about in these interviews though, so this is just general advice.

It's goo general advice. Also, don't be afraid to answer a question you want to (that is on script) in response to one you didn't want to be asked. Yes, I get it feels weird, but just keep moving and it totally works.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yep, that's exactly the game. People doing this to you are COUNTING you you being uncomfortable.

Reporters know it already and don't feel at all bad about the re-asking, but if it's low stakes they just move on because that was your "hint" you aren't answering it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, that's really a perfect example and I don't have exact clips to post either, but it's definitely that break between quick reporting and then long format reporting with a really good interviewer like Terry where you'll see her cut through that bullshit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Simpsons Reference posted:

I've never been at a place that offered me stock options, but I'm curious. What if I were at someplace that offered them, but I wasn't optimistic about their future viability as a company, just not enough to be job hunting yet?

If it's in a plan that allows you to bail out at any time (cash refund), guarantees the deposits and gives a 15% discount and you can sell immediately........you can't lose whether the stock is going up or down unless it's in absolute free fall on plan maturity. Take the free money.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpelledBackwards posted:

You're talking more like ESPP, which is different from stock options.

You're right. I was thinking ESPP.

For options I just sell on vest. Waiting for LTCG treatment be damned.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

asur posted:

I haven't seen an ESPP yet that will allow selling immediately. There's generally a 1-2 day lag for the shares to arrive in your account. The risk is minimal if the discount is 5% or more, but there is some.

My shares are purchased and bought at the close of the trading day on the last day of the period and are in my account by the opening of the market the next morning. Period ends ALWAYS happen during an open trading window.

I get this is pretty much a best case scenario. But this is the same company that did a follow on offering during our initial IPO lockup and swung it so the employees could participate. That's basically unheard of.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"How can I reach you from <number printed on my ATM card/published on your web site>."

This should be your immediate response. If they don't have that answer immediately they aren't from the security department.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I reccomended a friend for a position they would have been perfect for and they didn't even get an interview because they were "overqualified". It's real.

Hiring people is expensive. Nobody wants to hire someone when it looks a whole lot like they are just taking your job while they look for something better.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

"Wait, THIS is why social security is going to run out of money?"

As an already-cap-hitter, I completely and totally agree. It's complete bullshit, which I assume got lobbied for by boomers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

(The point being it never should have been capped in the first place. Even if they cap payout.)

This.

The payout should be capped. The pay in should have never been. It is of nearly no consequence to people who hit this cap (other than shitheels living on the very edge of being potentially affluent but instead spending every dime they make and more), but of great consequence to the societal need.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hell yeah two commas!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpelledBackwards posted:

Bear in mind that while bonuses are actually taxed like any other regular income when tax day rolls around, in practice they initially withhold bonuses at the highest federal income tax bracket, so you won't see as much of it go into your account come payday.

That's not how I've seen any payroll software do this.

It's just a dumb calculation. If you are paid 24 times per year and one of those checks has a bonus in it the payroll software withholds from that check as if you have been and will continue to get checks of that size for the other 23 pay periods.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dy. posted:

I like the envelopes idea. Need to talk with him to understand how he gets his paycheck and what he uses to pay for things like rent. Not sure if he has a bank account or if it's straight cash homie.

Just to be clear, I fully understand that this is probably futile, and that he has problems that are beyond my ability to solve. I'm just taking a shot here and hoping at least some of it sticks.

Thanks for the advice!

To be clear, by doing this you are very likely to be blamed for the inevitable failure of such an endeavor.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dy. posted:

Untreated mental health and drug issues abound.

Narrator's voice: they were related

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

taqueso posted:

Is there a thread where I can ask how to deal with having my business close and/or go bankrupt?

A business you own, or a business you work for?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If you feel that's a real possibility then yeah, stack in all the cash you can and cut spending as if you've already lost your income.

How severely and soon you need to do this has a lot with how quickly you think you can get replacement income/back off of furlough.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i always viewed it as him suckin his own dick but sure, i guess he could be doing that

I think you're right. He huffed enough of his own farts that he ended up divorced.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I feel attacked.

You pass gas for others consumption, not for your own.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

drainpipe posted:

What does this offer over say Creditkarma?

CreditKarma has emailed me withing SECONDS of a hard pull happening, which I don't believe you'll get from that site.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

How does your credit score result in financial ruin again?

Litigation while you're tied up in identity theft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Jesus christ Bank of America is so loving horrible, I am sick and tired of them wasting my time. How do I look for something better for basic checking & savings? Sorry if there is an obvious megathread about this already, I poked around and couldn't find anything.

Try your local credit union or one of the big online banks like Ally. I've been very happy with PenFed.