Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i'm all in favor of a good excuse to consume margaritas and mexican food to be honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Once your business is actually viable and has a good balance sheet you won't have to personally guarantee your loans.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BigDave posted:

What's a good rule of thumb for a emergency fund? Is $1000 enough, or should I be looking at something a little bigger?

Min 3 months expenses would be a good rule of thumb as a few people have already posted.

I highly doubt that $1,000 covers three months of your expenses.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I assume based on the amount of prepwork you've done that you are fully versed in the various laws around the German Blue Card. It sounds like you generally meet all of the criteria.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That questions makes no sense. Can you explain very clearly and simply what you are trying to do?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Xenoborg posted:

You can choose by individual purchase lots when you sell. If you click go to sell vanguard stocks, select a stock, hit edit cost basis, select individual, you can see the whole list. Its got the date, size, value, gain, ect so you dont need to record anything now.

I think the question is why you would want to do that in this case.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

but if you're selling ($10,000)*X where X is the amount your investment appreciated/depreciated, who cares whether it was share 1 or share 3, provided it's all LTCG?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A (common) share at point in time T is worth exactly the same as all other common shares.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what are you buying that costs seven grand that you will take three years to pay off?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Moneyball posted:

$42 to splash around in some little kid's pee. Sounds like a bargain.

Usually that type of specialty service is way more expensive!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

just found out that I am impacted by this "incident" thanks a lot you gently caress faces

also my enroll date for their services is six days from now which don't engender a feeling of confidence

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ancillary Character posted:

There's a provision in their terms of services that enrolling in their credit monitoring service waives your right to join a class action lawsuit in the future. You may be better off just dealing with the hassle of freezing and unfreezing your credit as needed in the future.

aww what the gently caress, gently caress them

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

try declaring your income for starters considering that it isn't legal to make "more money under the table"

also pretty sure what your friend is suggesting they do for you is technically "fraud"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Fozzy The Bear posted:

How long are you guys staying at jobs? I'm averaging 2 years per job, mainly because I just haven't found the right fit yet.

I'm putting 10% in my 401k, but I rarely get the match vested, or best case I only get 20% of the match vested. Knowing that you will lose your employer match, would that change what you contribute to your 401k?

I've been at my company 8 years but have had 5 titles/levels of responsibility in that time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

At my company, located in MA with employees scattered throughout the US, we have two health plan options through BCBS:

1. The standard HMO plan. For Mass based employees.
2. The PPO plan. For employees not based in Mass, or for Mass based employees who want to pay the premium difference to be on PPO rather than HMO.

I am assuming that you will have a similar plan, or everyone is on PPO, because HMO networks are usually not robust outside of the originating state.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I just canceled my stupid YouTube Red account that I never use that was costing me like twelve bones a month.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Arkangelus posted:

I've pretty much already talked myself out of it but that no longer appears to be the case unless I'm misreading something here:
https://www.uber.com/drive/insurance/

while you are correct that uber covers for liability when signed in to the app now, limits are quite low

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah i mean a lot of the time people pay for what a good or service is worth rather than what it costs

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Potrzebie posted:

loving tradewar makes number go down. Go up now for better!

son you seem to fundamentally misunderstand your position in the market

if you are long, like super long, you want poo poo to be cheap

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

also don't time the market

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

lol at betting on a recovery at that point

eh it recovered after 2008 and that was like a 38% drop from prior high to the bottom of the slide

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

But if you aren't really trying to time the market and you happen to be presented with the chance to buy while the S&P 500 is at -7000 then that's a good opportunity so....

which you should also have executed had the S&P 500 been at par or plus/minus X

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The dow lost nearly half its value between Q4 2007 and Q1 2009 and that certainly did not lead to money not mattering anymore

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

I guess I was referring more to the S&P 500 somehow reaching the unreachable number of -7000. Either the market takes a dump (which it has done before) and it absolutely is covered under the banner of "market cycles" or it craters and money doesn't matter anymore.

oh yeah, OK - I agree for sure!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

my (2nd lol guillotine) car was not that expensive at a mere 7% of annual salary but it is overly expensive and a huge maintenance pig!

at one point i did have a car that was about 60% of my annual salary when I had a real honest to God full time job. But it was leased taking advantage of super awesome residuals and cap rates in 2010, so i think it might have been GWM?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Tell me more! How too expensive? How'd you end up with it?

For me, it's dumb Industry Pressure (commercial real estate). Your income is sadly influenced by what kind of car you arrive on inspections in.

And what you wear.

And what restaurants you dine your clients at.

But food and clothes are less interesting to talk about than things that go vroom

at the risk of starting Car Chat what are you getting

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Cars are the stupidest loving way to spend money.

also the most fun

but i can imagine being gun shy after you dropped like a trillion dollars on an xc-90 :catdrugs:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you should definitely lease and you should lease something that isn't so gauche

modern bmws are for tracksuited slavs

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

70% post tax is retarded sorry

i am a Car Retard and recently blew too much money on an 18 year old BMW and I think your idea sucks balls because you are doing it to impress assholes

get a Giulia, lease rates are dope, or a Maserati Ghibli on a lease. then you can dickwave in the finest chrysler 300 known to man

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the ghibli actually has absurdly cheap lease rates so you should do that, plus they sound good and you can beat your meat about your maserati all the time

people are assholes if they care what car you drive in a negative way

edit: if you must buy an M car you should buy a 1M because they hold their value ridiculously well

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

edit: this was needlessly harsh

man, if you want to buy the car, buy the car. I'm all for it, they're both good cars and are fun to drive (except modern BMWs are not that good anymore). I just hate that people buy cars as status symbols and that people are dicks about their cars. Don't feed in to that poo poo, it's bad for everyone.

edit: also despite being a filthy 1%er I don't actually like interacting with a lot of people in that bracket because they are shallow status obsessed dickheads like the people you work with!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 18, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You're spot on with this, but it's a lot to ask me to pay the (literal) price to be the one that rejects the dog and pony show and makes a statement.

I gotta get paid, man.

you can probably lowkey reject it by not getting an M car at least

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

M cars really don't seem to be a smart financial move, any way you slice it. There's no doubt plenty of cars that check off all the same boxes in a way that isn't a bucket of $$$ up front and a handful of pennies to show for it years down the line.

i own an m car and can confirm that it is a stupid rear end financial move

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CARCHAT TRIGGER WARNING

A friend has a 2013 RS5. It's better than the new one because it does not have turbos. The rev-matched downshifts are worth the price of admission (about 45k used) alone. The M4 is legitimate though, it's a real M car - the two door M3. The M440i is not.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You can't withhold the details, man! When did you get it, why, how do you like it, etc? Was it stupid because it caused issues or just because it was a sub-optimal luxury decision?

I own an E39 M5. I haven't had it for that long. I love it but I also hate it. I wanted one ever since I was a kid and buying it represented 7% of my income so I figured that was reasonable. It is stupid because there is always something slightly wrong with it and it's expensive to fix, or a pain to fix myself. There is currently a slight ping from the driveshaft when I let out the clutch and that will necessitate ideally a new driveshaft and u-joint for about 500 bucks in parts, and while I drop the drive shaft I might as well do the guibo, and while the guibo is off, I might as well do the rear main seal for the transmission, etc. The fuel pump sender for one of the tanks is faulty and while I replace that I should do the other sender and the fuel pump and the fuel filter. It's also only practically better than an M-sport 540i/6 from the same year because it has individual throttle bodies and absurd throttle response.

I still love it (ITBs on a naturally aspirated V8 sound amazing) but would get rid of it in a heartbeat if my financial situation changed significantly. I still do feel a bit guilty about the financial outlay but I'm sure it'll wear off. The car also won't lose value over time and may actually appreciate so that makes me feel better too.

Things that are bad: heavy, and from an era where you feel the weight and they didn't try to disguise it, it needs constant care and feeding and i'm always thinking something will break, fuel is expensive (try 13 in the city, maybe 21 on highway on high grade juice, it's also particular about fuel brands), fast, transmission feel is eh
Things that are good: right level of electronics, fast as hell, understated, sounds good, you have actual taste unlike new BMW drivers

edit: I could also buy three of my car at the price I paid earlier this year for the price of a new M4 and have like six grand left over to spend on self flagellation

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 18, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

Can somebody explain to me the allure of nice cars? I am a weird robot person for whom cars have never been interesting. I enjoy driving well enough but I view them as rolling liability death traps to be respected.

Since Americans are milquetoast motherfuckers they're an adequate replacement for a personality.

I don't really care about the price of the car, there's something in the way that a car that you really like makes you feel when you drive it. Just one of those things, I guess. Most cars, especially new cars, are really boring. I also like weird and unconventional engineering solutions, so that's part of the joy for me is understanding the way the team thought that was designing the car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Idk I like my dorky honda fit partly for this reason and partly because resale value sticks to hondas like white on rice

i like the fit and it is cool, just slow

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Do you people take your expensive/powerful cars to race tracks?

in the past yes, and this is an absurdly BWM hobby just for the record

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lol, gently caress off. I'm not giving you a grand just to tell me about the three cars you've got on the lot.

don't buy a comp if you aren't going to track it, the 2018 is more than adequate for your driving style of "drive the speed limit and brake for yellow lights" in fairness a 116d is adequate for that

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

money that's already allocated to a purpose (eg IRA contribs) should be spent on that purpose as soon as you receive it IMO

earmarked contributions are different from accrual categories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Here, it turns out he's already paid, so that money is just allocated ahead.

yes, this is why I advised he do it: he already has the money. I wouldn't advocate borrowing in advance against a future payment.