Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

M cars really don't seem to be a smart financial move, any way you slice it. There's no doubt plenty of cars that check off all the same boxes in a way that isn't a bucket of $$$ up front and a handful of pennies to show for it years down the line.

i own an m car and can confirm that it is a stupid rear end financial move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Who can claim the most shameful salary/price of car ratio in here? I'm about to make an offer on a car that's 70% of my annual income and can already feel the remorse :thumbsup:

Right now I'm at about 22% (Ford Edge), but I've been looking at cars that are anywhere from 35% (CPO Audi SQ5, Porsche Macan) up to 65% (brand new Audi RS5, BMW M4). The chances of either of those happening is not very good though.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 18, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DJCobol posted:

brand new Audi RS5

Hoo baby, I park next to one of these, and it is SEXY. Please do it.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
If you’re not going to the track, the S5 is enough. That’s how I justified it anyway

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i own an m car and can confirm that it is a stupid rear end financial move

You can't withhold the details, man! When did you get it, why, how do you like it, etc? Was it stupid because it caused issues or just because it was a sub-optimal luxury decision?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hoo baby, I park next to one of these, and it is SEXY. Please do it.
I really want to, but then I see that number and think that it would almost pay off my mortgage, and I can't bring myself to do it.

howdoesishotweb posted:

If you’re not going to the track, the S5 is enough. That’s how I justified it anyway
I get it, and by the same token, don't get the M4, just get a 4 series with the M-sport package and a few extra goodies. But if I'm going to make a stupid financial decision, I may as well make a REALLY stupid financial decision and enjoy the hell out of it!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DJCobol posted:

I really want to, but then I see that number and think that it would almost pay off my mortgage, and I can't bring myself to do it.

I get it, and by the same token, don't get the M4, just get a 4 series with the M-sport package and a few extra goodies. But if I'm going to make a stupid financial decision, I may as well make a REALLY stupid financial decision and enjoy the hell out of it!

Lol, this is such a hilarious amount of money. Don't you ever wish you were a little less financially woke and could make a nice stupid Treat Yo Self move like the other... 90% of the country?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CARCHAT TRIGGER WARNING

A friend has a 2013 RS5. It's better than the new one because it does not have turbos. The rev-matched downshifts are worth the price of admission (about 45k used) alone. The M4 is legitimate though, it's a real M car - the two door M3. The M440i is not.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You can't withhold the details, man! When did you get it, why, how do you like it, etc? Was it stupid because it caused issues or just because it was a sub-optimal luxury decision?

I own an E39 M5. I haven't had it for that long. I love it but I also hate it. I wanted one ever since I was a kid and buying it represented 7% of my income so I figured that was reasonable. It is stupid because there is always something slightly wrong with it and it's expensive to fix, or a pain to fix myself. There is currently a slight ping from the driveshaft when I let out the clutch and that will necessitate ideally a new driveshaft and u-joint for about 500 bucks in parts, and while I drop the drive shaft I might as well do the guibo, and while the guibo is off, I might as well do the rear main seal for the transmission, etc. The fuel pump sender for one of the tanks is faulty and while I replace that I should do the other sender and the fuel pump and the fuel filter. It's also only practically better than an M-sport 540i/6 from the same year because it has individual throttle bodies and absurd throttle response.

I still love it (ITBs on a naturally aspirated V8 sound amazing) but would get rid of it in a heartbeat if my financial situation changed significantly. I still do feel a bit guilty about the financial outlay but I'm sure it'll wear off. The car also won't lose value over time and may actually appreciate so that makes me feel better too.

Things that are bad: heavy, and from an era where you feel the weight and they didn't try to disguise it, it needs constant care and feeding and i'm always thinking something will break, fuel is expensive (try 13 in the city, maybe 21 on highway on high grade juice, it's also particular about fuel brands), fast, transmission feel is eh
Things that are good: right level of electronics, fast as hell, understated, sounds good, you have actual taste unlike new BMW drivers

edit: I could also buy three of my car at the price I paid earlier this year for the price of a new M4 and have like six grand left over to spend on self flagellation

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 18, 2018

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I will never feel comfortable paying one, let alone two times my annual spending on a vehicle. I would never realize its value in time convenience.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lol, this is such a hilarious amount of money. Don't you ever wish you were a little less financially woke and could make a nice stupid Treat Yo Self move like the other... 90% of the country?
Sometimes I wish I could just turn off my brain, take my existing liquid cash and finance the rest, and be on a plane to Germany in a couple of months to pick up my new car and drink some Helles while sitting in the Englischer Garten. But no, I'm doing the responsible thing by driving a boring CUV to an office job and going home to my cheap rear end house while continuing to save for . . . . . . something. Who knows what though.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

DJCobol posted:

if you ever go into the Audi configurator and build a $90,000 Audi coupe with a torque converter automatic and don't think to yourself "I should be shopping for a 911" there is something wrong

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Can somebody explain to me the allure of nice cars? I am a weird robot person for whom cars have never been interesting. I enjoy driving well enough but I view them as rolling liability death traps to be respected.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
if you think cars are cool, I ride a multi-billion dollar boondoggle to work every day

Jan 11, 2004

Hoodwinker posted:

Can somebody explain to me the allure of nice cars? I am a weird robot person for whom cars have never been interesting. I enjoy driving well enough but I view them as rolling liability death traps to be respected.

It is simply just fun and feels good to drive a good looking fast and powerful car. I shamelessly admit that there is an ego factor involved and the joy of owning a nice expensive thing simply for the sake of owning a nice expensive thing definitely exists. It's not for everybody, I get it, and I definitely won't try to change anybody's mind. My wife has about the exact same reaction as you and that is totally fine with me with the minimum requirement that her car has modern safety features and is well-maintained.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hoodwinker posted:

I'm in the same boat, since I drive the speed limit and slam on the brakes for yellow lights. The sub-20mpg mileage and incredible maintenance/tire replacement costs are ridiculous too.

But some people take them on actual tracks, or don't mind the occasional speeding ticket, and really do get to use the high performance aspects of the car.

They look and sound neat, too. Ever met a kid that didn't like to scoot a toy car around while making motor noises?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

Since Americans are milquetoast motherfuckers they're an adequate replacement for a personality.

I don't really care about the price of the car, there's something in the way that a car that you really like makes you feel when you drive it. Just one of those things, I guess. Most cars, especially new cars, are really boring. I also like weird and unconventional engineering solutions, so that's part of the joy for me is understanding the way the team thought that was designing the car.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
dress to impress, roll up in style

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Since Americans are milquetoast motherfuckers they're an adequate replacement for a personality.

I don't really care about the price of the car, there's something in the way that a car that you really like makes you feel when you drive it. Just one of those things, I guess. Most cars, especially new cars, are really boring. I also like weird and unconventional engineering solutions, so that's part of the joy for me is understanding the way the team thought that was designing the car.

Idk I like my dorky honda fit partly for this reason and partly because resale value sticks to hondas like white on rice

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
I financed a RAV4. Was that a bad idea?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Guys stop beating up Chris. He's gonna make the bad decision either way.

Tell me I'm dumb for buying a big red truck that gets 16mpg while I drive all over loving kansas for work.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Commuting Trucks really do it for me. My coworker lives 35 minutes outside of Portland in a slightly rural area with large lots. Some of his neighbors have cattle or horses.

So of course he bought a bigass pickup truck as his commuter because he lives in ~The Country~.

Whatever dude, you drive on flat, paved roads all the way to work!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I ride a bike to work. GWM
I keep buying bikes. BWM?

I just bought a sweet new Surly and modded up the bars, pedals, and tires. It was 0.839% of my salary. I should probably sell my old bike for a few hundred but I might still ride it.

My car lives for the weekend.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Idk I like my dorky honda fit partly for this reason and partly because resale value sticks to hondas like white on rice

i like the fit and it is cool, just slow

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i like the fit and it is cool, just slow

:shrug: while it's not peppy by any measure, the 2018 is noticeably quicker than the 2012. It's got a slow mode that's real good on gas though, and since traffic maxes out at about 40mph on my drive to/from work I only get gas about once every 3 weeks on idk like a 9 gallon tank.

I do wish they had a way to like long-press or double-tap the lane change camera button and have the tailgate camera come up. That thing is great for really wedging into a parallel spot but I'd really like to not lose it when I shift out of reverse.

Jan 11, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

:shrug: while it's not peppy by any measure, the 2018 is noticeably quicker than the 2012. It's got a slow mode that's real good on gas though, and since traffic maxes out at about 40mph on my drive to/from work I only get gas about once every 3 weeks on idk like a 9 gallon tank.

I do wish they had a way to like long-press or double-tap the lane change camera button and have the tailgate camera come up. That thing is great for really wedging into a parallel spot but I'd really like to not lose it when I shift out of reverse.

As far as I am aware the reason why this feature does not seem to be available on any car is due to video screen/distracted driving laws in many states.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Do you people take your expensive/powerful cars to race tracks? Do you speed on highways all the time? Asking genuinely, I know it sounds facetious. My only experience was that I once drove a high-powered car in a race track setting in Nevada with ideal conditions. It was fun for sure.

But I can't image dropping so much money on high-performance cars to just like, do usual human life driving.

Then again I'm poor so I guess at a certain point of wealth I'd consider it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Even if you don't go on a track or do 120 on the freeway, accelerating from 0-60 in the blink of an eye and going around corners real fast is fun!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Even if you don't go on a track or do 120 on the freeway, accelerating from 0-60 in the blink of an eye and going around corners real fast is fun!
Seems BWL

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Not blind ones!!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

As far as I am aware the reason why this feature does not seem to be available on any car is due to video screen/distracted driving laws in many states.

Fair enough, I can see the reasoning there.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I get some seriously perverse pleasure out of being stuck in highway rush-hour traffic in my decade-old used Prius, directly behind a Ferrari or Maserati. It never gets old knowing how much they're not using their car's potential.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Do you people take your expensive/powerful cars to race tracks?

in the past yes, and this is an absurdly BWM hobby just for the record

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
SA Forums are big on costly hobbies

Cars, guns, voluntary animal ownership

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Sundae posted:

I get some seriously perverse pleasure out of being stuck in highway rush-hour traffic in my decade-old used Prius, directly behind a Ferrari or Maserati. It never gets old knowing how much they're not using their car's potential.

Fun car driving (for me) is usually on country roads that are hilly or curvy. My commute is usually like that on 35-45 mph roads. If I was stuck in traffic all day errrry day or even boring suburban traffic light driving all day I would have probably bought an electric econobox instead.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Audi keeps the backup camera on in drive up to 7-8 mph. Definitely an improvement for parking.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

howdoesishotweb posted:

Fun car driving (for me) is usually on country roads that are hilly or curvy. My commute is usually like that on 35-45 mph roads. If I was stuck in traffic all day errrry day or even boring suburban traffic light driving all day I would have probably bought an electric econobox instead.

Oh man I hate that stuff. Especially when there are 2 lanes and no lights. I get way stressed out about driving off the road or hitting an oncoming car that you can't see around a turn.

IMO the best reason to get a luxury car is a long/bad commute. Might as well enjoy it as much as you can.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Lol, gently caress off. I'm not giving you a grand just to tell me about the three cars you've got on the lot.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lol, gently caress off. I'm not giving you a grand just to tell me about the three cars you've got on the lot.

don't buy a comp if you aren't going to track it, the 2018 is more than adequate for your driving style of "drive the speed limit and brake for yellow lights" in fairness a 116d is adequate for that

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

don't buy a comp if you aren't going to track it, the 2018 is more than adequate for your driving style of "drive the speed limit and brake for yellow lights" in fairness a 116d is adequate for that

Oh for sure man, this is just the response I finally got after emailing them yesterday.

Jan 11, 2004
Definitely do not buy a competition pack M anything unless you are just a devoted BMW fanatic who really enjoys track days. The M4 is already not a particularly comfortable car to drive (compared to for example Audi R and Porsche 911 models) and the comp pack puts an even more bone jarring suspension on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I staved off the societal pressure to buy a home for another year, and managed to talk my landlord into renewing my lease with the same under-market rent I've been paying for 2 years.

Always negotiate!