Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

ServoMST3K posted:

I figure this didn't warrant its own thread so here it goes: I live at home, I'm 30, I have my BS in psychology and I haven't worked in a few years due to depression and other things. I really think living at home is holding me back from moving forward with my life and I need to try something different. Other pertinent details: I live near Boston so rent isn't exactly cheap, I declared bankruptcy in early 2015 due to having huge credit card balances and not working, and I'm fairly certain I defaulted on my student loans. I know defaulting is probably a very bad thing to have done but I didn't care at the time due to mental health issues.

Would you folks recommend I look for employment I can stick with and then pray I can find a place to live that won't check my credit score? Or would doing everything at once motivate me to stick with being serious about working? I had a few chances to move in with my ex a few years ago but that didn't materialize for one reason or another.

You probably don't need a credit check if you're subletting from a roommate and in Boston you'll probably need a roommate. Check craigslist for people looking to replace a leaving roommate and I bet they'll be plenty of ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Okay so VAT is a non-issue. I buy at the listed price (including the tax) and sell at whatever markup I want. That's it, until like $50k revenue or so when a different rules kick in. There's a German seller, which sucks, but France doesn't have one for example. I know ebay's gonna take 10% and there might be some other small gotchas but this is a pretty cheap way to find out. No risk no reward, right.

I tried selling some old wargaming miniatures on ebay and in my experience, it was only worthwhile if you consider your time completely worthless. By the time I'd listed, packaged, and shipped; I would have made more money working at Mcdonald's.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It does seem like needless ant loving to try to optimize for a problem that either fully doesn't exist or is really marginal.

I'd put it under the life insurance category. They probably won't need her credit but if he ever died in a car crash, having credit of her own would be one less nightmare to navigate.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Wondering how many people here with spouse/kids have gone the single car route.

I now work from home full time and hardly ever seem to drive anymore. I've put less than 3000 miles on my car this year and thats been mostly due to long road trips where I went out of my way to drive my car because I dont want it sitting all the time. Its a paid off 2015 Subaru Crosstrek with 65k miles on it. Carvana is offering me $16500 for it right now. Which wouldve meant I essentially leased my car for 6 years for $1k a year based on what I paid for it.

I figure I could use that money to get an ebike or something for my sporadic trips, then put the rest towards the new car fund for my wife and I. We're saving up to put at least 50% down on a new Toyota 4runner.

One thing you should consider going down to 1 car is what would happen if you suddenly went down to 0 cars. Car values are up so it's tempting to sell. The flip side of that is that repairs that took a 2 or 3 days three years ago take 2 or 3 months and rental cars are way less available. If the car got in a bad accident or had a transmission fail would you be able to borrow a car or find alternate transportation? Or would you be scrambling to buy whatever overpriced used car you could get your hands on that day?

I like messing around with cars and we've gone from 5 in various states of repair to 2 good ones. But, I can't imagine making the jump down to 1 even working from home with no kids. It would make every single car problem an immediate emergency.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

pmchem posted:

this trick from the recent state of the forums thread is so incredibly neat, I want to make sure BFC is aware of it:

also, yeah, there's a state of the forums. check it out.

That is loving awesome. It reminds of GBS level traffic from years ago.