Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Way too much food talk here. Seriously I have threads bookmarked in BFC and YLLS almost exclusively and for a minute I forgot which forum I was in.

dried fruit is where fruit goes from "okay" to "holy gently caress sugar and calories without thinking about it" so quickly, in my experience

Moving on, my current status: trying not to overthink the money I have in index funds (in taxable accounts for longer-term savings) as there seems to be an murmur about the market topping out. I know its all about time in the market but there is media influence everywhere and its difficult to ignore. Stay the course :negative:

edit: Also I want to do my own remodel/repair work at my house but my dad was never good at teaching those skills and I dont know where to learn them. I just signed up for Habitat for Humanity so hopefully that's a good avenue. Any other ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

antiga posted:

On topic: I need new work slacks. My normal places would be Marshalls/TJMax, but any suggestions? Open to spending more if the durability makes it worthwhile.

IF you know your size relatively well, I've found these to be some of the best price/quality pants around.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002A9JXCU/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2C_SC_dp_1

I've got three or four pairs that have been workhorses for me.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

For me, a good home gym setup and mlb.tv save me a gym membership and cable personally.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

If you want to go the home gym route craigslist rules. My wife and I had to give up all of our free weights since we decided to move to a smaller place and ended up making money off of the stuff we bought on craigslist. We decided to keep two pairs of adjustable (not those bowflex kind, the ones you have to manually add the plates to) dumbbells and a over the door pull-up bar I got from Ross for $12 bucks.

I ended up having some equipment custom welded (short basement) and bought my stuff new. And it's some of the highest quality stuff I've seen. And it still cost about one years gym membership around here (DC, expensive).

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

AbsenceVsThinAir posted:

Is there a good rule of thumb in terms of blow money vs income? Between my wife and I we make around 160k and we give ourselves 200 bucks each a month of blow. That doesn't include restaurants or maybe some other things people might consider non-necessities.

I'd say it varies depending on your cost of living, life situation, savings and retirement.

We make about 200k, own a house, and put away a significant (20%+) into savings/retirement every month.
We give ourselves a $400/mo allowance each and that works well for us. But we're in an expensive city and carry no real debt aside from a mortgage.

Really though, it depends on the rest of your budget and situation. But $200/mo is pretty darn reasonable if you ask me