Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I wish you guys would eat better, you're making frugality look unhealthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

This is totally stupid but I absolutely expect another crash at some point in the next ten years. Basically - I may expect more volatility than most investors do, and I think that extreme downsides are undervalued.

Is there anyone who routinely buys put options on the S&P index? It seems like the simple way to make that sort of bet. Like yearly buy a put option on 75% of the current value of the index, then if it crashes to 2/3rds of its value (or less) you've hedged quite a lot of your losses (as the rest of your money would be in index funds). If not, you're out whatever the option cost, buy again next year. It seems like a way to keep the upside (by primarily staying invested in standard index funds) and to hedge the extreme downside.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

How do you get 3300 calories in four hours? That's two pounds of butter. I'm assuming I didn't answer my own question.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

Actually, lately I haven't been hitting 3300 just because my actual window has been reduced from 5-9 to like 7-9 due to workload.

But here's yesterday. Ignore the "4-6", that's old.

So like, 2200 calories =
4x eggs w/cheese
Trail mix
Toast w/ cinnamon sugar
Big loving salad w/a whole sausage (sausage is from my farmer, actual salt content is unknown)
Cereal with protein

A 3300 day would have those extra two hours to consume a big old stir fry with white fish or something. Maybe a couple of tuna sandwiches or salmon cakes. At this rate I'm turning into a 6" 160-lb twink pretty quickly. The other day my wife described me as "skinny" and I wept a little bit, my days of weighing 195 and running a <18 5k are behind me. :qq:
What weight are you at right now? That was more simple carbs than expected.

Juanito posted:

Any online resource you recommend for reading more about intermittent fasting? It interests me..

I feel like I have periods where I can go all day without eating.. but it doesn't seem healthy, since I've always been told that if you don't eat, then your body goes into starvation mode, and it becomes even harder to lose weight.
The YLLS thread covers it. "Starvation mode" is mostly myth but sort of real in that if you do something low carb most people recommend a "carb refeed" once a week to reset your leptin levels (leptin now apparently being the thingy that causes "starvation mode"). The information on this stuff is always evolving and almost always eventually at least partially wrong, so basically look for a diet with a lifestyle/food choices you like and with people who have gotten the results you're looking for, try it out for a month, and calibrate accordingly. IF is pretty good that way and it works psychologically in the sense that it makes the window that you can think about food smaller. It can mean as little as skipping breakfast and eating a late lunch.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 19, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

In today's America you really should be on the news as a local hero by now.
This Woman Was About To Return A Soup. Then This Happened.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Just paid $28.17 for three beers at the airport.... The sad part is it will get worse in Vegas.
worth it. I love Vegas, one of the only US cities that feels substantially different from other US cities. Even going to a Starbucks there feels weird.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Frozen brussel sprouts. King of cheap foods.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Paid but I ended up going to work anyway. I might leave early though if I feel worse.

edit: Why can't I simply set a budget with my credit card company?

*Slides Card*
"Sir your card has been declined because you'll go over your grocery budget this month. Do you want to over-ride?"
*People behind me in line are scoffing, "guy can't even stick to his budget"
"I... OK, I'll put it all back, there's stuff for me to eat in the fridge anyway"
*Everyone in line begins to clap*

Oh because they and everyone else will make less money never mind.
Mint is a giant website. The implementation of this is non-trivial, especially because how would you code something like CVS?

Better to use Mint and set up e-mail alerts, or just live off of Bluebird/cash.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I suppose Mint could do something like that if they partnered with the cc/banks. I would pay a $10 a month or something premium service for that even if it means I hold up a line at the grocery store every now and then. People do it with cash, why can't I?
You'd give up $120 a year instead of just keeping an eye on your budget? And are you just buying extra groceries that you don't actually need? I can't imagine why I'd want to be stopped at the grocery store. At a bar, maybe, but by then it's too late. I can only see this being useful when buying luxury goods, but even then, better to budget in advance. Play the long game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

You make a good point but a lot of people need to be forced to stick to a budget (names several famous BFC people that can't stick to budgets) before they can stick to one on their own.
They wouldn't use this app. Budgeting's not hard if you actually want to do it and make over 25K a year.

Do cash payments w/ envelopes for three months if you're really crazy. You'll get it soon enough and you'll hit the perspective shift that takes you from getting away with buying as much stuff as possible to lifetime satisfaction.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 26, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Bubbacub posted:

This is why I think prize-linked savings accounts are far more elegant solution. It's crazy that they aren't widely available.
This is somewhat depressing, but given the mental bias between saving vs. not withdrawing (ie, people generally view taking a dollar out of savings differently from not contributing an extra dollar that they have even though the effect is the same) it's a neat way to hack our preferences to lead to more intelligent decision-making. Kahnemann win. I just hope that the amount being awarded is basically negligible to the overall return.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 26, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

I bought sixty pounds of pork tenderloin in August for my wedding, it's been in my freezer ever since because our spit pig was sufficient. I'm just getting it carved up into 3-pound cuts today. I imagine I'm going to have to use most of it for stew because of freezer burn. Woo $300 worth of stew meat because of laziness!
I'd probably buy some pork belly/pork fat and make ground pork/sausages. Tenderloin makes for terrible stew.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

I really do want one of those meat grinder attachments and a big stand mixer to attach it.

But I just googled "manual meat grinder" and I'll probably just buy this: http://www.amazon.com/Weston-Heavy-Manual-Tinned-Grinder/dp/B000BQSW44

I love the idea of manual kitchen tools.
They're not very good, but if you insist I'd at least get this one instead: http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Grinder-Mincer-Pasta-Maker/dp/B0002I5QHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395849486&sr=8-1&keywords=meat+grinder

Three stars on amazon does not indicate a high rate of satisfaction

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Can you guys think of any products that have actually saved you time/and/or money? I know there's a product recommendation thread in PYF but I'd rather get BFC's opinion on most things.

I know it's probably because I thought it was cool on Breaking Bad but a Roomba or an altnerative to a Roomba just seems neat to me, especially since I'm moving into a single story/mostly hard-wood home soon. I understand pushing a vacuum around isn't very difficult but my house will be rather small so the more space I have the better.

I'm also quite fond of my Nest. I figured out a really efficient way to keep the home heated/cooled (since I could play around with the settings online and get a score) by simply burst heating the house and then allowing it to cool. So energy would be used sparingly but my house would stay warm when I needed it to.
Bicycle

Freezer

Drying rack

Backpack

CFL lightbulbs

Electronic cigarette

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 26, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

In fact, there was an article a few years ago that ended up deconstructing the work involved in programming cards with budget buckets (and other things that "ought to be simple").
Ha, almost linked to that, but I didn't want a marijuana derail

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I had bacon for lunch today with a few vegetables. It was a last resort but I'm stocked for tomorrow.

I think the only reason CFL Lightbulbs have saved me so much money is because I got them for free from the electric company and they have never gone out. When I get a new house I want it to be as well lit as possible so I might spring for higher quality CFLS or LEDS.
They're subsidized here in Boston, don't know if that's true everywhere

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Cicero posted:

So, my company is sending our team on a paid-for 3-day trip to a fancy resort in Cabo. Awesome, right? Yeah, except they're only paying for the employee; you have to pay for your family yourself. Subtracting out travel time, for us that translates to ~$1400 for about a day and a half of actual vacation. And if you don't go you still get those 3 days off of work on top of the normal holidays and vacation time. Pretty easy decision I think.
It looks like 3 days without family in Cabo or 3 days with family here. How often will Mr. FI get to do a resort vacation in Cabo? Go for iiiiiiit

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

shrike82 posted:

Monthly limit for expenses. I won't be working outside of internships.

London's an expensive place.
The median income there is like $46K, and the average post-tax income for a household is $64K. This isn't meant to chastise you, as it's your life, just to make you aware that you may be indulging a bit

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Fresh sardines are great. Try them out if you ever get a shot.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

The great thing about eating out is that you have 100% control over whether or not you do it. You can survive if you miss lunch once in awhile, people have starved themselves to death for causes before, I know you can endure some slight discomfort for your finances. :)
I've done IF 8 hours on / 16 off every day for the past few months and I'm still so hungry by lunchtime that I can't get good work done unless I eat. I can occupy my seat, I mean that's easy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

My CEO disagrees. Yay corp America!
Not sure what that has to do with corp America...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Man, weird day at work. I'm on "Team A" at work, and my boss said "Hey the guy who represented all of Team B just quit so you should consider being the new Team B guy"

I wasn't sure about it but he said to talk to the Big-Big-Boss who would explain why it was a good opportunity.

Must have been a miscommunication because the "talk" was a formal interview where he thought I'd be selling myself as a candidate, and I thought he'd be selling me on the job. Neither of us was prepared, neither of us had good answers for why this was a good job/I was a good candidate. I thought the job sounded like poo poo since it's more hours and less money, and I'm sure he thought I was a big chucklefuck who didn't even know what he was interviewing for.

I didn't want to burn bridges with a big cheese so I just politely thanked him for his time and said this did not seem like a good personal fit :psyduck:
Less money? For real?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

cheese eats mouse posted:

But the thought of jumping and starting a new position in my career at this point? I'm tired. I'll come back because I do enjoy design but I'm jaded for now. Sundays I'm sad/dreading and Monday mornings I'm angry.
Based on your job description you seem like you should have a lot of options. I felt the same way you did for about two years and finally changed jobs (after getting "inspired" by teamblind.com) and it turns out I hated my previous job, not working. The amount that's vesting for you seems insignificant compared to the kinds of salary your work can pull in but it's possible I'm misunderstanding your situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I have been too lazy to move money from checking to investments for two years. It turns out I am a business genius.