Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I never mucked with masterwork mods but they always seemed like an excellent mod pack.

Demiurge4 posted:

One of my favorite things to do in the game is set up a completely useless paper and book industry that's automated and has a little dude confined to a burrow that's got his workshop, bedroom and the tavern/library. Every day he presses paper and makes artisinal book binders and scroll rolls. It's a completely useless thing to do, it isn't even very valuable but it's so satisfying to see my library grow and attract visitors :allears:

I do want the tech tree to be implemented eventually so I can make a mega library at the center of the world that attracts scholars and exports knowledge. I want management tools that let me set up my guilds with private libraries where they jealously hoard their skills. The guilds and religions will really come into their own when they get just a little bit more complexity and the scholar system comes online. I want to have masters visit to use my forges and train my dwarves, I want my own dwarves to travel to the civilization capitol at the kings summons to teach them about steel.

I sort of miss the old Masterwork mod. It was very kitchen sink and had too many useless systems in it, but it had some very cool ideas, like archeology, which could slot in nicely with research/magic. I really liked the special gem tiles that would exrude lava or water so you had a source in weird places. The normalization of leather and bones was nice because honestly I don't really care if its dog or cat leather, just call it "leather" and have some nicer and more valuable variants from rarer creatures. I don't mind unique types from dragons or whatever though.

Oh I love having a big 'ole library with a bunch of otherwise "useless" scolars and scribes. I love watching them discuss the movement of the planets and forgetting to set a limit on my papermaking work orders and wondering why I have 100000 sheets and no quires/scrolls/etc. I love going through books and seeing dwarven personalities reflected on a bunch of books of lenses or, well, one's opinion on self control. :smugwizard:

A big difference is having 20 dwarves researching crankshafts doesn't really affect the other 180 dwarves doing the more basic tasks. Rimworld you get 1 out of your 10ish pawns researching and if the smart one dies everything grinds to a hault.

Griddle of Love posted:

I think any unlockable tech (outside of small side grades and upgrades like high boots) should be fundamentally confined to the level your dwarves operate on, rather than the level you the player operate on. Maybe they discover and teach each other methods of working faster, safer, or producing better results. Maybe it raises their skill ceilings or their moods. Maybe they invent a new instrument or a new verse structure or a new geometric shape. But if DF took pumps, windmills, steel, glass, dye, any of a hundred things that are available right now from the moment you embark, and put them behind a progress bar, it'd be a very sad state of affairs. (Or, more likely, another set of toggles lost in a myriad world-gen options).

Yeah, if it has a gameplay affect that would be it. It might be fun to have a year 0 start where you do have to research steel/glass/etc and set up a bunch of forts feeding the mountainhome knowledge, BUT I wouldn't play that way every time.

I loooove being able to go "oh sweet I have flux, lignite AND hematite on the surface" and being able to make steel before I even need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I always set up a huge library in my forts when I get the time. It's just fun to collect books! Plus there's usually some animal people scholars that are memorable to have around. :3:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yeah books rock, libraries rock. I agree that I wouldn't want to be shut out of anything that we already have access to but having research play a part in history and have some subtypes be gated behind civ progress, so that an average size civ might take 5 years to invent the high boot, 50 years to invent the full helm, etc.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

How many years to invent the werebeast inquisition?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Griddle of Love posted:

How many years to invent the werebeast inquisition?
Depends. Do you mean an inquisition that hunts werebeasts, or an inquisition comprised entirely of werebeasts?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Por que no los dos?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Stranded: Alien Dawn

Just wanted to say this is a blast and exactly what I wanted out of Rimworld. Thanks again.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

The Bible posted:

Just wanted to say this is a blast and exactly what I wanted out of Rimworld. Thanks again.

Hell yeah, glad you love it!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
My current civilization has tamed elephants, so my military readiness is largely dependent on Jumbo the War Elephant who patrols the grassy plains outside my fortress. Today, however my fortress reached the point where I needed to choose a militia commander. Unfortunately none of my dwarves have much in the way of military prowess. Fortunately, my Fisherdwarf Thob Letterheater is a proficient fighter!

Let's check his resume:

Near the beginning of my current fort he was accosted by a black mamba, the most feared snake in all of Africa.

The snake bit him (its fangs didn't penetrate his armor it looks like) and so he grabbed it by the tail, smashed it into the ground, kicked its heart in, and crushed its skull with his bare hands.

Later a pack of dingos tried to kill him while fishing.

And how did that go?

I think he'll do just fine.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Spanish Matlock posted:

My current civilization has tamed elephants, so my military readiness is largely dependent on Jumbo the War Elephant who patrols the grassy plains outside my fortress. Today, however my fortress reached the point where I needed to choose a militia commander. Unfortunately none of my dwarves have much in the way of military prowess. Fortunately, my Fisherdwarf Thob Letterheater is a proficient fighter!

Let's check his resume:

Near the beginning of my current fort he was accosted by a black mamba, the most feared snake in all of Africa.

The snake bit him (its fangs didn't penetrate his armor it looks like) and so he grabbed it by the tail, smashed it into the ground, kicked its heart in, and crushed its skull with his bare hands.

Later a pack of dingos tried to kill him while fishing.

And how did that go?

I think he'll do just fine.

Yeah, you don't mess with a species that will club you to death with its own young.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
https://youtu.be/bvDxt6t-igc?si=Cl39_KOz2ujwKles

New track from the upcoming Adventure Mode update just dropped. So stoked that Steam Adventure Mode is almost here! :stoked:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

now i want steam adventure mode where you roguelike through a random world generated based on your library, friends list, cheevos etc.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What about Arena!!!!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah Arena's important. I'd love to revive the Arena Fight Club that goons ran a while back where you could "buy" a fighter with points for things like Race, Skin Material, Number of Limbs, etc. and slam them against other poster's guys in NPC tournaments

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

The Arena was added to the steam version a while ago though?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah Arena's important. I'd love to revive the Arena Fight Club that goons ran a while back where you could "buy" a fighter with points for things like Race, Skin Material, Number of Limbs, etc. and slam them against other poster's guys in NPC tournaments

The thing that really sucks is the Arena website is down and Jazzimus has been a MIA as far as I know so it's a MASSIVE hassle to create the fighters and teams without the fighter macro generator

Otherwise I'd prolly still be running fights

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
If I was smarter, id program a bot that would randomly generate dwarves, humans, elves, creatures, and monsters to fight in arena, and then let people bet on them on Kick or Twitch.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'd pay someone to make a Fighter Generator

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

saltybet already exists

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
New SAW season looking wild

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Putting sentient undead in my military feels cheesy but also it's pretty fun to watch my militia commander wade into a pile of goblins and just watch the bits go flying

Unrelated: my duchess has proficient fighter, competent striker, adequate wrestler, and novice thrower because of how often she tantrums. I have no idea how to fix this but it's moderately funny that it keeps happening

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ChickenWing posted:

Unrelated: my duchess has proficient fighter, competent striker, adequate wrestler, and novice thrower because of how often she tantrums. I have no idea how to fix this but it's moderately funny that it keeps happening

Have you tried giving her a nice hot bath? :supaburn:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I have not. If she becomes more of a pain, I might just. I'm attempting military therapy for now - I've been neglecting a lot of my forts basic needs for a long while now so she's not the only issue

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Running those fights is a huge pain, even with the templates. I was in charge of doing that a few fights for the tournament and regretted it.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Today I have discovered that a hospital with lockable doors is an excellent way to keep werecreatures contained. Managed to avert werecatastrophe for once, with the help of a solid military.

On the other hand, I'm now down to 80 dwarves from a fortress of 200 and 25 of them are angry so werecreatures might not be my biggest issue anymore

Lord of the rivets
Sep 10, 2022
My dwarves like to celebrate their accomplishments

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Lord of the rivets posted:

My dwarves like to celebrate their accomplishments

Maybe you just had to be there?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Slipped on a banana peel

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've been paid stat pay for less

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I like making all of my nobles militia commanders, and I like makong every dwarf a member of the militia, with swuad membership determined by guild membership

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

If your monarch dies on site without an heir, will you get another one eventually?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

ChickenWing posted:

If your monarch dies on site without an heir, will you get another one eventually?

I think so long as there are any members of your civ, there is always an heir, but it might not be at your site. I don't know if they will make their way to you eventually.

If you embark into a dead or nearly dead civ, your initial 7 will end up inheriting noble titles pretty much immediately, which can be *fun* when you have no infrastructure in place to placate them.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
Saw something in March that said a beta of Adventure Mode was releasing tomorrow...anyone know if that's still accurate?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

They haven't said anything to the contrary so it should be

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Yep it is, the kitfox twitter has been pushing it. It won't be a beta in the sense that it's feature complete and just buggy, it's still missing big chunks that they're looking to deliver with "release" that'll be in about a month iirc. And buggy.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope

ChickenWing posted:

Yep it is, the kitfox twitter has been pushing it. It won't be a beta in the sense that it's feature complete and just buggy, it's still missing big chunks that they're looking to deliver with "release" that'll be in about a month iirc. And buggy.

Do you happen to know if there will be a special test server/realm that you need to download outside of a standard Steam 'update'?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

TracerBullet posted:

Do you happen to know if there will be a special test server/realm that you need to download outside of a standard Steam 'update'?

Yeah I'm pretty sure you need to opt into the beta through the steam beta system

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

ChickenWing posted:

So prime Dwarf Fortress then. Geese laying iron chairs and cats giving themselves alcohol poisoning and poo poo

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

ChickenWing posted:

I abandoned my first game in the steam version because my monarch died and his heir wouldn't join my fort, could be it's something that was fixed since then though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Oh it's the beta and not the full release? drat it. :(