Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I understand the ascii purists, but most people play with tiles at this point. If the OP is intended to be a recruiting tool to advertise the game, how about mixing in some actual graphics?

I am a big dwarf fortress fan but lets be real, most people don't like ascii, it is a turn off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I have a rough idea for a challenge but I need to flesh out the actual rules and I would like your input. The idea, essentially, is that the game is Paying the Iron Price. No harvesting fresh materials of any sort. Everything comes from slain creatures. Merchants can be traded with.

I feel like I could flesh this out a bit more.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Is there any mod, trick, special technique or pretty much anything to make building surface forts not such a huge pain in the rear end? I want to try another one but building via walls is such a giant pain in the rear end.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

Apparently the guy that does Masterwork doesn't play Dwarf Fortress. Somehow that explains a lot.

Wait. What? Seriously?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Has there been any word on when Masterwork will update?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Is anyone else sort of dissapointed by Human Mode in Masterwork? There are about a million workshops which seem to make stuff I don't need, want, can be made better in traditional ways OR are ridiculously over powered and unbalancing.

The only really interesting change is how they are basically forced to do open pit mining. They just don't feel different enough to be fun.

Is anyone else disappointed by them?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I just turn off most of the new buildings and go to town. Masterwork comes with a manual which has good documentation of the rest.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I have not played DF in a while. I downloaded the latest version of Masterwork and don't see any options in there related to all of the extra buildings and professions they added. Did they take them out, or am I missing something? I usually turn most of them off.

All of the options related to extra "types" of minerals, plants, animals etc are also all gone? Options related to how hard various industries are, are also gone? I liked increasing the difficulty of farming for example.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 31, 2015

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I think I downloaded an old version. Got the latest version, I recognize the interface now.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

So Masterwork is two versions and like six months behind now.

Is it ever going to be updated?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I know that I like Masterwork and how to use it but don't follow the development of it at all.

So is development over? Did the people involve quit? Its been an uh, really long time since the last update? It seemed like older versions came out much more rapidly? Is Masterwork dead? If not, any estimate on a new version?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

1-2 more versions by Toady? 4-5 months then?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I've not played in a while and may start again. What is everyone's favorite graphics pack?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I said graphics pack, not a font. I mean if people want to pretend that an O with two dots on top is an ox or an ostrich that is cool, but lots of good tile-sets exist.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

See, you could have used ASCII art to convey the emotion contained within that smiley, but you used an actual image instead. Why? Images are easier than ASCII to understand quickly and convey more information.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

There have been countless amazing mods for this game and utility programs.

When, when, will someone make some sort of UI or tool to make controlling the military not poo poo?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

Watching some streams and the UI looks really nice. Seeing a Dwarf Therapist like work orders menu.
This was my only concern, playing without Dwarf Therapist. Does the new UI have a reasonable way to assign jobs or are you stuck ordering dwarves one by one?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 6, 2022

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

necrotic posted:

Yes, its similar to therapist in that you see everyone at once and can toggle through labor 'groups' to assign to Everyone, Specific Dwarves, or Disable Entirely.
Lovely, thank you.

I wonder if the Dwarf Therapist maker will ever make another version? It gives you lots of other useful information, I'd still play with it if I could.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

First fort in a lot of years. A LOT of years.

Looks like the wagon broke down here in this hole, so I guess this is where they live now.

Fortunately, a stone's throw away was a usable cliff face. The dwarves immediately set to the work of digging in, ignoring all other needs. Someone would be assigned to make trinkets soon, as well as a depot, with the plan to simply buy a year's worth of drinks and cheese when the first caravan arrives.
Supposedly this no longer works? Earlier caravans are much smaller.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I have a considerable number of hours under my belt playing Dwarf Fortress. On the steam version is it worth doing the tutorial to get a handle on the new user interface, or not worth it?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I am so used to playing with the various tools... Is there any way in the Steam version to increase FPS/Speed? To be very clear I am not talking about making the game operate more efficiently when you have 10,000 cats, I mean, to speed it up when you have the processing power available to do so.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

The in game labor system is certainly... better now, but without the ability to prioritize one labor over another for the same dwarf I still find it kind of lacking.

Has there been any statement or information from whoever works on Dwarf Therapist if they plan to update it for the steam version / a guess at a time frame?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Do farms need to be in actual caves or just deep and if so, how deep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

If you have soil layers near the surface you can build farms on them, but i think the yields are lowered due to the soil quality. You can improve that by getting a lye industry running for potash fertilizer
Edit: by soil i mean sand, clay and loam
Good to know but what I meant was, how deep do you need to go before you don't need the fertilizer? Can you just dig X many layers deep and irrigate it or do you need to farm on actual natural cavern tiles?