Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

How the hell do you get out of the underground from a generated dwarf fort in adventure more? I've been wandering around tunnels for ages.

I did kill a cave crocodile and was surrounded by troglodytes frozen in terror though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there a good guide/whatever to making workflow things work? I'm fine with doing anything that they give example for in the -h menu, like any sort of metal bar, but I can't seem to figure out how to write out rock blocks??

Also with the new changes to dwarf stress and the like, I have a miner that just can't forget a mining/flooding accident followed by some were-skunks that all sort of happened within the same season. :smith:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Are those 74 dwarves including children? Those fuckers claim rooms.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Does anyone else really, really hate autolabor? It's the most irritating thing and this LNP distribution seems to really like forcing it on whenever I start the game, like it or not. No, I do not want eight engravers, I just want one. No, I do not want the jeweler to do metalcrafting jobs, I want the loving metalcrafter to do it.

I like autolabour a lot, but when I feel like actually trying to craft high-quality items I make sure that I set the workshops to not take anyone below x-skill. As well, I usually set it so that I lower the aumount of miners I have after I dig out most of my fort. I really don't need 50 dwarves to carve out 50 squares, let 3 do it.

If you want to know how to customize autolabour, or to get rid of it, the dfhack github page (here) is great. You can disable autolabor for specific professions (Eg. engraving) so that you never have to worry about it.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I started to reclaim a fort, and I'm not sure really how to deal with the 173 'hostile' inhabitants of this fort. I think they are mostly members of the old fort, because they mostly have civilian titles and about half of them are dwarves.

I was initially planning on going full :black101: when I thought there was only 20 or so goblins, but I'm not sure what else I could do? They seem pretty content to just hang out wherever they were last so I can't really lure them anywhere? I'd settle for just letting them wander off the map, but they're pretty stationary so far.

When the first dwarf caravan shows up its going to be a bloodbath.

EDIT: well it wasn't. :v: I forgot that no one likes to fight in the most recent versions. Oh well, they're just going to be decoration now.

Jyrraeth fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 7, 2015

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

KillHour posted:

To be fair, you pretty much just walked into their home and claimed the place for yourself. The idea of them being too drunk to give a poo poo is funny, though.

I didn't realize that a fort that fell to goblins would have such a multicultural society, it's about evenly split between the four sentients. There was a lot of booze laying around that was .... Reallocated.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

some of these books are pretty great

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Excellent.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there any way to get the personality/description of a historic figure from legends mode? I'm trying to see if there's anything else funny about the author of "The Wizard's Guide to Self-Control" but he hasn't written anything else interesting.

He does love to challenge people to foot races, tho.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Alehkhs posted:

If they're still alive you could track them down with an adventure character for whom you know the beliefs of and suss out their beliefs by arguing with them.

:getin:

Well, I guess I'm going to go argue with him at some point. Wonder if I can ask him about the whole 'Wizard' thing.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I attempted to find the dwarf that wrote "The Wizard's Guide to Self Control" but alas, I do not have the patience to find them. I did find a lot of horses and had some fun as a Moose-man though.

Edit: if anyone wants the save I can upload it, but its for 42.01

Jyrraeth fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 22, 2016

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Its only passably written. :colbert:

Regardless, the dwarf that wrote it was just an rear end in a top hat that liked writing books on his values and challenging people to foot races.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I really wish it was easier to explore dwarf settlements in whatever version I found the wizard's guide to self control, because I spent an hour in tunnels filled with horses trying to find the drat author so I could argue with him. Alas.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I'm so happy this is out, I want a gang tag but I cannot remember any of my old adventures... so I'm posting here to remember details about the Wizard's Guide to Self Control. :allears:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Alright I dug up some old screenshots, and while its been a long time since its happened ... I still do remember trying to track down the dwarf who wrote the wizard's guide to self-control.

I remember this was when the books update came out. I was rifling through all the books written in legends mode. Mostly simple stuff like textbooks on animal husbandry and (auto)biographies, like any good world history. I found the wizard one because, "wait, what did Toady stealth add wizards?" but turns out this guy was just self-important and indulgent.

(screenshot from 2015, holy moly I've been playing this game so long)

Dude loved to challenge people to footraces and lose. I feebly tried to find him in adventure mode, but I didn't have the patience for figuring out how to navigate fortresses generated by the game.

I love this game.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Several years ago I managed to get a giant cave spider with a trap and it's own web and immediately set up a sweet, sweeeet silk industry when I wasn't stunning/caging everything else.

Highly recommend.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there any way to know if a tile is a light or heavy aquifer? Is it the same throughout the layer?

Really frustrated with the aquifers going as deep as the 2nd cavern layer, but I can totally deal with a bunch of light aquifer down there. Just want cassiterite and Galena because my Baron likes lay pewter.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Goddamn these amphibian people stop coming here!!! I ended up walling off the caverns when a web spitting forgotten beast came by, which they took care of at great loss.

I'm gonna just put traps all over once I finish memorializing all the dwarfs that got killed only because they can't swim. Argh.

Do they still corrupt saves? Can I turn them off like werebeast attacks?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I wish it was easier to check a dwarf's life story after they die. I like that you can check them in Legends mode but I also want to know what skills/knowledge they had, too. Didn't dwarf therapist let you check that? I can't remember.

I do like that the slabs. I've stopped bothering with coffins/etc because you can't just spam 100 of them in a room anymore.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

M_Gargantua posted:

You can still do that! You just can't use the multi-zone designation. The multi-needs either a wall, door, or ramp to pathfind the zones boundaries.

You overestimate the amount of effort I'm willing to put in.

I do like the array of channels+ramps much better than the rooms+doors. But I'm comparing it to 2014. Dwarfs I like (or relatives of a dead one) get that treatment until I get bored.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Was there a version where accumulated crap slowed the workshop down?

I have been happily leaving intermediate products at the workshop and not seen any slow down but I do remember butchershops having issues because of the number of products.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I finally got around to installing dfhack and I finally went from 9FPS to 25FPS but exterminating the 213 amphibian men that were hanging out in the caverns. I did manage to get my crossbow squads a little bit of experience taking pot shots before I got tired of the FPS drain. Gonna do some other fps fixing things because I like this fort.

Does dfhack let you switch heavy aquifers to light? Or anything that isn't "get rid of all of them"? I like having aquifers for indoor well reasons but the drat things go all the way down into the 3rd cavern levels and I'm tired of trying to figure out if it's a heavy or light one.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Zereth posted:

Is water from your aquifer penetration dripping down your main staircase? "Damp Stone" means both "aquifer" and "there is water adjacent to this tile, including veritally"

Naw, it's not that. I have no standing water messing up designations. Most of the accidents are draining awkwardly into the 2nd cavern layer and evaporating.

I have a mix of heavy and light aquifers and just probing for a good staircase to go through layers is tedious. It does make my fort more organic to have to go around it but heavy aquifers are unfun.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I feel like light aquifers are fine. They are kind of irritating to punch through, but they do give you an easy indoor clean water source.

I recommend digging a channel down into a light aquifer to see how slowly it fills.

All that said heavy aquifers can gently caress right off.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

The soundtrack rules, has anyone run into any cool covers on youtube/whatever playing them live? Especially "Strike the Earth".

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've noticed in previous forts that I'd get visitors just hanging out in outdoor pools and outside of digging a huge trench I couldn't get folks to do anything but hang out and complain about the rain.

Last couple of forts have been in regions with no winter, so I haven't had to race the calendar.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

What's the most efficient way to turn off labours and give my dorfs a holiday?

I had a tantrum spiral for the first time in ages and I just want to give everyone a break.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Therapist updated yesterday afternoon for 50.07, using it right now.

Ok gonna make the everything labour. Also the troublemaker I nicknamed "calm the gently caress down" has died so that'll help.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Telsa Cola posted:

If you assign a hammerer and give them a silver warhammer your dwarves will deal with trouble makers themselves.

I did forget to do that but the troublemaker was served justice via fists once I picked out some suitable dwarves but I forgot about arming them.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I wonder if there's a mod for dwarven daycare, I feel like the guild system could be exploited for keeping kids in one spot.

Once I get to a reasonable population I turn off chores that aren't lever pulling and sooooometimes keep furniture hauling on. My kids are unhappy because of the death and corpses but otherwise keep out of trouble.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I had a dwarf go berserk from a failed mood once and now I have doors all over my forts. The dwarf managed to get into my dining room and nearly wiped the fort.

Plus poo poo gets in the way of doors closing so I like to have them everywhere to avoid that problem.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I believe you go into the pause menu and select custom difficulty.

You can futz with the numbers to get it so you get very small waves, occasionally. But they are such a pain I don't generally.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Tungsten posted:

that reminds me of the dwarven necromancer doctor that i kept on 24/7 library duty, because i wanted a book with the secrets of life and death. but instead they were just darkly obsessed with hernias, spending all day ruminating and writing about them even though it made them miserable

I read this outloud to my partner and he remarked "just like Darwin and his barnacles". Life imitates art, and all that.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Oh man if the magic system ever happens.

"A wizard came to my fort and turned all my magma into snot and now my smelters are all hosed up."

"Same wizard turned all my wine into bumblebee venom."

Actually I would love to have a bumblebee venom moat.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Complications posted:

This would unironically result in total wizard genocide. The magma smelters are sacred instruments.

Maybe we'd get a wizardblight, like how we have gnomeblight, and all entrances have a drizzle of wizardblight and a whole bunch of melted wizard goo at the entrance. :allears:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Dwarf fortress is a game where QoL upgrades shouldn't really be expected. If it bugs you either get DFHack or play another game and wait a year or two.

That said, I think the steam release means that some technical debt will be addressed at a much faster speed than before.

Learn to love the jank! It's part of the charm.

Things like having to start the menu over again makes more sense when you realize that it used to be keyboard shortcut driven and typing is much, much faster than clicking anything.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I think the reason that Putnam could understand Toady's code is that she was a very involved modder who really knew all of it. I think in an interview she said something about using DFHack and making horrible spaghetti code mods that she refined over the years.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I also like to use the manager to make sure I'm not over producing something. As much as I love the thought of a huge, huge booze stockpile it's a lot easier to deal with periodically updating the manager to limit the brewers to 2x dwarf population.

Making sure seeds aren't in a barrel is something I always forget to do that I highly recommend.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Were-creatures were funny once upon a time when you'd just get a notification that they showed up, then when you went to look all you found was some naked guy running for their life.

I turn them off in current play, though. Vampires and necromancers are fine for giving some spice, but were-creatures require so much more unfun effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've used DF hack to spawn lava in water just to make pillars for this sort of reason. I don't know if there's a better way (the steam is pretty dangerous) but it does work last time I tried.