Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

It may have been answered before but I was having a problem where the dwarves keep trying to pick up ammo but couldn't pick it up. They just kept going back and forth trying to put it in a stockpile. I run masterwork so I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I've got a civilization called the Civilization of Girls. Fukken gnomes.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Elves expect the dwarves to use "grown wood" as a pet or something, sorta like a pet rock. Armok forbid if you turn it into something useful.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I settled my fortress on a place with a natural cave:dance:

Still need to see how deep it goes

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

In the first year of my fort I got seiged by elves. This was the first time the dwarves seen elves. They chased off and killed some livestock then left. I looked in the civilization menu and its just us dwarves. Are there roving bands of things just looking to gently caress things up now?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I found this sweet little video about a fort. Very :black101:

http://youtu.be/is1wSwdaM2w

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Weird I always leave my animals out in the winter they never seem to starve. from what I thought plants covered in snow can still be eaten.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I feel like boogeymen should only exist in evil biomes. That makes the most sense to me.

Also I settled near goblins and never saw them do anything against me. I got bored cuz it seemed nothing was trying to kill me.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

There should be a tumbling skill so you can survive some falls.

I can just imagine that being legendary in tumbling, a dwarf jumps off a tower and slams into the ground like the hulk, completely unharmed.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 3, 2014

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

TheCIASentMe posted:

Future bug fix: Game AI spontaneously gains sentience. Fixed.

Dwarf Cancels taking control of NORAD : looking for baby.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Urist Is in a pretty good mood lately. He watched a good bar fight recently. He took a masterwork pine chair to the face recently. He admired a fine chair lately.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Yeah I've was dealing with outside planting the other day. I made a farm outside where there were no plants growing naturally and it didn't give me seeds to plant. So then I moved it to where trees and gatherable plants grew and it gave me the seeds to plant. If there's grass but no trees then you cant plant there.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 16, 2014

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Ghostwoods posted:

Maybe fishing isn't as serene as I thought...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5eo6vAK4OA

OK, it's a tarpin rather than a carp, and it has grindy chunks in its throat for cracking shellfish that could easily splinter a bone, but still...

Dwarf cancels noodle fish: overcome with terror

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Kinda miffed i still cant chop down and use bamboo as wood

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Okay a WereRhinoceros just tore through my Fort.
All i can think of is that there needs to be.. like .. A mass grave designation.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

So after some more wereRhinos attacked we abandoned the fort. But the fort was to precious to leave alone, what with the materials to make steel. We came back and after another Rhino attack and then a goblin ambush we were down to 3 guys. The top priority was to put a lever and drawbridge and just hole up until help arrived.I think it took 3 years for migrants to become stupid enough to attempt the journey. Migrants came and the one dwarf who was training nonstop finally had recruits. We fended off a seige and now the fortress is flourishing. Let Trotttrumpet be a testament to dwarf persistence everywhere.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

Who cares about trees so much?

Elves, that's who.

I dont know man, You can sometimes make Alki Hall outta some of the fruits.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

KERNOD WEL posted:

If my Neighbors screen doesn't show any goblin civs, does that mean they simply don't exist or that I just haven't been contacted (invaded) by them yet? Its been a few years and no sign of them so far. It seems like in older versions I was constantly fending off snatchers and ambushes.
Is it on the embark screen or in game?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

It might take awhile, it relies on the worth of your fortress. So if some guy makes a legendary artifact you might soon be invaded. Unless you are secluded on an island or far out there.
That said its still kinda janky, I once got invaded a couple of times and then I never got invaded again. Which is sad because after those attacks I trained some legendary dwarf fighters.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Killing bad beasties should give you either a good feeling (other than enjoyed slaughter) or raise the moral of nearby soldiers.

Urist feels a burst of energy as the death of the dragon revitalizes his spirit! * Kills more goblins*

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

If magic isnt like the magic from Warhammer ill be sad.

Urist Attempts to cast a spell. Urist has been turned inside out.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Nietzschean posted:

This makes me want to make tools out of adamantine. A full set of adamantine knife tools ought to somehow give a bonus to surgery.

Dwarf drops knife on table. The severed part sails off in an arc!.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

So, I tried to build a floor over a tree branch, this apparently destroys the tree, When i tried to build the floor again over the same place, sans tree, Its said i had like -13204/99 blocks of stone i was using.
weird
I just used the stone and it worked out.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

NeoGeo are you using the lazy newb pack? You can make the game look a lot better with the tilesets it gives you
.personally the Phoebus tileset is my favorite.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

But seriously, try a tileset. its like upgrading from Nintendo to super Nintendo. They are cool and good.

I can play without tilesets just fine but it just makes the game so pretty that i need it now.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Oh cool, do wheelbarrows also increase the efficiency of hauling? I may need to build a few.

yes especially if you want an efficient smithy, carting ore to a smelter stockpile takes a lot longer without wheelbarrows.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Goblin sieges build Character :colbert:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

Couldn't you just make a sculpture garden in the sunlit part? Dwarfs should hang out and throw lots of parties there, and since it's in the light, they'll lose their cave adaptation as they do. Bonus points for the happiness bonus from the garden itself.

The Scare Ball is a horrible thing why would you put a dwarven sculpture garden underneath such a thing.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Man, I never realized how insane my food and drink surplus was. I really should slow down my food production so I'm not wasting so much carpentry on barrels.

Are you using wood for barrels? Invest in rock pots instead.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Say I capture a bunch of cave crocodiles or something. Is there a way I can strap laser beams put them in a pit that I can throw prisoners in? Will wild animals attack goblins?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Replace wrestling with martial arts and we have the best combat system ever.

Crouching goblin. Hidden elephant.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

The year is 250. All of dwarven land is occupied by The Anguished Barbarity. Well... not entirely. One small fortress of indomitable dwarves holds out against the invasion.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Tias posted:

So I was watching Vikings and suddenly thought "man, if I still played DF I would hella make a concept fortress in a frigid swamp, with creepy totems and traps everywhere and human sacrifice and magic mushrooms and.. and.. then it dawned on me: Why wasn't I playing DF anymore?

So back I am. Leathercauldron beckons!

I haven't played for at least a year. Suddenly, you find dwarves with 'z', and trees are suddenly big and have roots and poo poo <3 Anything else I should be aware of?

It is terrifying. I am ecstatic.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Tias posted:

I remember vampires.

What is? :D

Dwarf fortress in general.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Something is wrong with my merchants. They are just standing around in the fields with their pack mules and such after they were done trading. The guards will attack lemurmen but then they freeze again when everything's dead. What's up? am I gonna get more trade guys or are these guys it?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Happy_happy_joy_joy.ogg? Is stinky wizzle teats a playable race?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Maybe instead of dwarves getting a bad thought, not praying or showing piety will give the gods a bad thought.

No one wants to see a tantrum spiral in godly pantheon! :black101:we need one of these as Zeus

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

The gently caress kinda poo poo is this. Its never , like, a were sheep or a were cavy pup. Its always some giant loving thing like a were Rhino or a Were Mammoth.

The loving mammoth picked up a dwarf by the EAR and threw him at the wall and was fast enough to kick him while he was flying.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Michael Jackson posted:

First time playing adventure mode i did this.

The Status quo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Put some doors in front of the the draw bridge, you can lock those instantly and they will buy you some time to close a drawbridge.

Hospitals are Zones. Press i (i think) and designate a room a hospital. Then put beds and a chest or coffer in.dwarves will rest and surgery in the bed and The chest will hold any medical supplies that are needed.

No one understands military. you are right to call it obtuse.