Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh hey, I see you used my header graphics. I still have the original PS doc with whatever font that was, if you want me to make matching new ones, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

scamtank posted:

IT*S MY FIRST THRE¤AD GET OFF MY CASE

If you could point me towards the font you used, I'd be a happy man. I'm going to tweak everything forever anyway, so I'd rather not have to bother you every time I wanted to do something different.

Looking at the PS doc, it's Myanmar MN and a black drop shadow in multiply blend mode, 30% opacity, 120° angle, 5px distance, 0% spread, 8px size.

Actually, you know what, I just uploaded it to goondorfs. Just duplicate a layer and change the text and you'll have a perfectly matching header every time: http://goondorfs.net/OP_Headers.psd.zip

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It was 25 months old today and Scamtank was ready to go. I've been neglecting the old thread long enough, so it was time to take it out behind the shed. :)

Anyhow I think the last post in the old thread should be the new thread title, I think it sums everything up pretty succinctly and should help alleviate any confusion over the new thread.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bronzestabbed vs. DF Release: a race to Forever!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

scamtank posted:

OW OW OW OW OW DEVLOG

Honestly I'm kind of disappointed nobody beat you to the first dev log of your new thread. :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

How about vomit?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

North Korea. It's HFS.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

scamtank posted:

Hey, people. I've been delving into Urist Da Vinci's momentum equations and I came up with something interesting. Try reducing the MAX_EDGE of all terrestrial metals from 10,000 to 2500.

Sharpness as an inorganic material attribute is nothing but a multiplier that determines how much momentum it takes to cut through poo poo. From my very short experiments with iron and bronze blades, it makes combat much less black-and-white and immediately decisive. Instead of every stab and swing either boinking off a superior metal or instantly cleaving through to the core unhindered, there's a variety of slashes cutting into the torso but stopping before the liver, chain mail turning lethal hits into bruises and swings to the head actually performing decapitations instead of the first hit immediately destroying the brain.

I wish Toady would, say, outright publish the equations used to determine a lot of these interactions, so that people could more readily fine-tune his numbers.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I doubt it even has an outdated spec. It's nice to dream, though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No, they're harmless, see if you can coax them into your refuse pit, they'll clear it out for you and be on their way. Win/win!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pound_Coin posted:

granite encrusted granite bed, yeah good work rear end in a top hat.

It helps the user not take things for granite. :downsrim:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'll ask the obvious question: did you open hell?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Internet Kraken posted:

More importantly, she took the only axe down with her! :argh:

Ehh, you can always make a wooden training axe (from the logs from deconstructing your embark wagon, if you have to) in order to bootstrap your lumber industry again.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's awesome. Build a floor over the volcano so he doesn't have to deal with any more outsiders.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Internet Kraken posted:

This would be a good idea if it weren't for the huge fire that burnt all my wood to ash.

Humans letting demons becomes leaders and diplomats has always been hilarious to me. I can see why they chose that demon though, seems like a really chill guy.

And you've already deconstructed your wagon? Umm...got any workshops or walls or anything made of wood?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I actually played DF last night. Just thought you all should know.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's my recollection, that a legendary marksdwarf can fire through fortifications at a pretty ridiculous distance, whereas a totally green recruit has to practically hang off the battlements before he feels his shot isn't obstructed.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Moridin920 posted:

I'm really excited at the prospect of being able to travel to other dwarf settlements through the caverns, and caravans going through there also.

I wonder if/how one will hook one's own fort up to the underground caravan network?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Did you try paging through the list on the right? It's longer than one page.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

duralict posted:

e: vv well I feel dumb. I had no idea it was paginating, because of the 6 inches of empty space at the bottom of the list on my screen.

DF taking full advantage of available window real estate is kind of a crap shoot. Case in point: the worldgen screen.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TildeATH posted:

Took us 13 pages to find a suitable subtitle.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dwarf Fortress: Took us 13 pages to find a suitable subtitle

I don't know, man, it just doesn't flow. Although I do like the alliteration at the end there.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

quote:

It's fixed now.

I don't understand how it was broken. :confused:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, that makes sense. I assume now she's Knitlog the Smashing of Rivers.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, natural formations retain their shape when they fall. Only constructed things crumble.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If he just dug a hole, the lava blasted in and burnt him, the smoke was probably from his own body. The diagonal thing just removes the "pressure" as far as how far up the lava will fill (which isn't necessary unless with lava unless it's been through a pump.)

If you want the magma to trickle in, you have to leave a 1-tile thick wall, then smooth it, then carve a fortification. THAT will cause it to trickle in slowly enough that the dwarf has a chance to escape. A chance.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, it used to be that the walls of a volcano would wiggle in and out and you could do that, but now they just go straight down. If you REALLY don't want to lose the dwarf, you could enable fastdwarf in dfhack and he'll scoot right out of there.

Bernardo Orel posted:

Look, you want lava, you have to make sacrifice(s).
But really, that's the right answer. Just turn off mining for everyone, pick a peon, send him in.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Doesn't dfhack include fixes for that?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

1, and 10000000 babies.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Anyone ever form & pour an obsidian tower? I'm thinking of doing it, since I'll be close to that point anyhow. Plus, hey - unlimited stone.

Plus, you can engrave the whole god damned thing. :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

scamtank posted:

Not this month it hasn't. June 14th is the magic number to pass.

Hey, that's when my kid is due! He'll surely be covered in filth in no time.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Diogines posted:

Is there any mod, trick, special technique or pretty much anything to make building surface forts not such a huge pain in the rear end? I want to try another one but building via walls is such a giant pain in the rear end.

Sure! The easiest way is to locate your surface fort several z-levels underground, preferably in a nice layer of ore-rich stone. :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You know, it'd be easier to just put your phone in the oven and set it to broil for an hour.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

scamtank posted:

Nowhere that I can see. I'm personally just waiting for Bad Munki to stumble in and take notice.

Fuuuuuuuuuck I got called out.

Trip report thus far: this plugin crashes DF. I should probably make sure I'm running the latest dfhack LNP MCP FBI ABC and possibly try compiling it on my system. I'm running 10.9, and I've seen problems crop up with that.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 22, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm surprised nobody's talking about the new release that dropped this afternoon.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It's going to be v0.38, right? It'll be on the 38th.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's it, science has gone too far.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is she Down To Fortress?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Baby snatcher...? :confused:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Aaaaand true to Toady style, a new release right out of the blue, raise your hand if you saw it coming:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_38_01_win.zip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TildeATH posted:

Nobody's going to believe you when you finally post the real release.

Instead we're going to let the wolves eat you.

I've got an angle.