Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Baloogan posted:

When it actually does come out I'm still not going to click on any of your deceitful, knavish links.

My angle, it's working.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I think the joke is starting to wear out its welcome, guys.
It'll stop being funny exactly one week after the actual release, when everyone realizes a week's worth of posts saying "new release is out" were genuine. At that precise point in time, it will cease being funny and will become deathly hilarious as this thread implodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GreyPowerVan posted:

Also, guys, I really want to play DF but I really want to wait for the next update... arghhhhhhhhhhh

Well I guess today is your lucky day then, isn't it!

:v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There's only one way to stop me, and that power lies with Tarn Adams.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There can be only one more release before he dies of a heart condition induced by his strict diet of coca cola and ramen!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

If I'm not mistaken, the source code will only be released if he dies of natural causes, to prevent psycho DF fans from capping him.

Yeah, and now there's all this evidence of you guys talking about your nefarious plans.

However, now that I'm not the OP of the DF thread, it'll probably fade into obscurity without my tender loving neglect, so nobody will ever know.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mister Adequate posted:

Dang I was hoping Bad Munki would be first in here with an elaborate post about his adventures in Dwarf Fortress over the past couple of days since release

Not gonna lie, that was my plan, but I got a little too used to the forums being down and forgot to f5 for a couple hours. :(

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Kennel posted:

Now make it work with Oculus Rift.

Or just make it work with typical 3d displays a la tridef :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tias posted:

Having a spell of illness that makes me stuck inside for some time, and though it terrifies me, I'm thinking of getting into it again. Any changes since last year?

Yeah, a new release just came out yesterday. Climbable trees and poo poo.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

So I just got back from France and am now committed to making Dwarf Louvre. From what I gather, there is a major overhaul update coming out shortly so I should hold off for that? I thought I remembered reading that Toady went nuts and released the source code before checking into rehab or something.

Yep, that all happened the same time as the latest release dropped, earlier today.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Set up a stockpile that only has the materials you want to use, set that stockpile to give to a specific mason shop, only order tables from that shop. Yes you're still tied to a specific shop, but you don't have to lock anyone in or anything. Any dwarf that completes a job at that shop will only use materials available from the stockpiles that are giving to it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leal posted:

Maybe if Bad Munki would update the OP already.

:siren: Happy Independence Day, it's out! :siren:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hello Sailor posted:

It's probably best to just put Bad Munki on ignore until the new version is out.

But then how will you know it's out?! :confused:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think the best new bug will be that if a tree grows over a mine cart track, any mine cart that runs into it, instead of stopping when it hits the tree, will climb the branches and zip around in the tree at light speed as if it were a strange web of tracks.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

New version is out, definitely check it out: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So for OS X users (or at least 10.9) it's bitching about x11, so maybe it's going to require some 3rd party stuff. :/

(Apple doesn't provide it anymore, but you can get it here.)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Minsky posted:

Holy shitballs it actually came out.

Made you look!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, installing xQuartz did, in fact, get it to run, so if you're on a mac, start there.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No it's not, don't listen to me.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Kremlin Kremlin posted:

DOWNLOAD DWARF FORTRESS 0.40.01 (July 7, 2014)

you're seeing a cached page i'll bet

No you're seeing a precached page it's not actually out nobody listen to this man.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I love the little progress bars it has for all the saving and loading.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TildeATH posted:

How'd you do that?

What, you mean post within ten seconds of the release? Easy: I gave myself 5 seconds to notice it had dropped, and another 5 seconds to post about it.

I am as a god.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

KillHour posted:

Yes, I did happen to reload the page that very second, why do you ask?

Then why did it take you two hours to post about it, HMMMM? :raise:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So has anyone tried walking site-to-site underground yet? Pretty sure that was supposed to be a thing now.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Aww, man. I started a world, started a fort (really just built four walls and a hole in the ground, with a couple stockpiles and a trade depot), retired the fort (not abandoned) and now when I try to start an adventurer, it crashes every time I try to finish the hero creation screen. :(

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Roflex posted:

So I take it either no one else has my tree problem or no one's found a workaround for it? Three forts now I've lost due to everyone being crippled from treeclimbing injuries. It seems their immediate reaction upon having nothing to do is "go climb a tree".

Cut down all the trees, problem solved.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I bet by this weekend we'll have a basic complement of the standard df tools. Not a full fledged dfhack or anything, but some of the basics, the stuff you need to play a simple game.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

How do you climb trees? I just want to climb trees.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I made a dwarf and started underground, how the hell are you supposed to find your way out? I ended up wandering through a series of pits with a bit of baubles in a pile at the bottom of each one. Maybe some sort of burial site? I have no idea, but it was pit after pit after pit and there was no apparent way out, I'd climb the ramp up one wall and find myself staring out over another pit.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wouldn't let me go to travel mode because I had to leave the site first. But apparently the entire pit network counted as the site. :(

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Therapist as linked by the OP: is that Windows only? I want to play this poo poo on my mac but I'll be damned if I'm going to manage labors the Toady way.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bummer, that's a change. For a while, Therapist was MOST updated on OS X.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

scamtank posted:

I'm spooling through the string dump, categorizing the new value spectrums for easier reading, and here's one that caught my eye:

I think we all need to crank the default dwarven values a little further just to see this tidbit more often.

That's good, but add a level and turn it up to 11, tia.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Reason posted:

is the thing that lets you see multiple Z levels updated to the latest version yet? Sitting in masterwork building a fort of mainly catwalks and crafting pits is loving cool

Oh man, I suddenly wish you could order your dwarves to craft a rope bridge out of a few lengths of rope and some planks.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

scamtank posted:

Bolding not mine. Jesus christ you lunatics map that memory faster

How do they even go about this? I'm a programmer by trade, but I've never tried something like what they're doing, so I have no idea what's involved.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What's the holdup on an OS X version of the rapist? Someone should get on that. I'm just the ideas guy.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Zomborgon posted:

You scared me for a moment. Good job.

Okay, that was fair, but seriously, what gives. :(

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, for one, he's a king, you see.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

scamtank posted:

Oi, you lot:

Yessssssss

Haven't done anything but fired it up, but it appears to be working at very first glance. I am excited.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yo where's the mac version, this is bullshit, I hate you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So after squandering goondorfs.net for a couple years, I'm going to let the domain expire. If anyone wants to use it for whatever, I'd happily transfer it so that it doesn't have to go back into the pool and get squatted by some bot. You just gotta promise to do something interesting (and maybe keep the great dworacle running (after cleaning it up: looks like someone (unsuccessfully) tried to run a few injection attacks at some point. :3:)