Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Popete posted:

Is there a difference making walls out of block versus stone?

One stone creates 4 blocks and the constructing dwarf can move with the block without being slowed down. So it's better to use blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

MonkeyforaHead posted:

How tf do you build stairs up in this version. Like let's say you carved out a corridor and you decide after the fact, alright, I want to make stairs up from here but there's a ceiling up there. It won't let me build anything because I need to set the building designation to span at least 2 levels and there's only 1 level to build on :psyduck:

1. Dig down from above
2. Channel out the area above that you want to dig stairs to
3. Build the stairs up around the stairs you dug down
4. Channel the stairs down from the bottom up one by one
5. Build the missing staircase
6. Floor over the hole in the ground (or use it to dump caged goblins)

Appoda posted:

Also my dwarves are sparring with +*=Steel Battleaxes=*+. Is that bad?

Nope. Dwarves can never hurt each other while sparring.

Gnoman posted:

The fortress of Quakereined has come to an end. After the vampire mayor was locked away, things were looking pretty good until a visiting performer turned into a lizard and went berserk in the tavern, killing several. After it was put down, three victims of the bite were expelled, but one refused to leave ((game wouldn't let me expel visitors)). This resulted in another attack the next season, which initially seemed far less severe.

No deaths except for the werelizard itself, and only two bites that were quickly expelled. Turned out there were actually four bit dwarves, and the two that were missed exploded into violence in the temple soon afterward. This was put down, but it was effectively impossible to track down everybody *they* bit, inevitably resulting in over forty dwarves slaughtered in an instant when the time of the change came around once more. The handful of survivors fled into the wilderness.

(gangtag would be nice, if still an option)

Tantrum spirals are gone, now meet were-spirals

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Qubee posted:

Blocks have more value, which ultimately makes your fort worth increase quicker. Like the other poster said, you get 4 blocks from 1 stone, which makes using them for megaprojects a must. They're also lighter and easier to carry, but most importantly they can be placed in bins and you can move 10 at a time, or 83 in a minecart. I remember years ago I had a fort that used a minecart to the surface so I could create hundreds of blocks in the bowels of my fort and just minecart it all up to the surface to make my above-ground fortress.

Whenever I try to make a stonecutter in the bowels of my fort, they use stone from the very top and drag it all the way down the stairs instead of the stone sitting next to the workshop. lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

If crafts are in bins you have to send Finished Good Bins from the bin menu. It's a bit of a pain, but better than selecting them one-by-one. And if a bin is being used for a task (e.g. putting stuff in it) it can't be sent to the trade depot unless you forbid and unforbid it while paused to free it up.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's a little dumb but it's not dumb as hell, it is convenient to go to one tab for everything you sell.

Appoda posted:

E: Do dwarves refuse to move products past traps? When I have entrance traps, there's only a handful of things I can ship to trade depots at all, but if I disassemble them, suddenly my options open.

Nope, they don't have a problem with traps, it's probably them being reserved for stockpiling.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Happens all the time. They're usually old historical figures and almost always an agent of some kind as a result so I just interrogate any that show up, lol.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Appoda posted:

What's the easiest way to access a cavern layer? I built my fort near the sea and it seems like no matter where I dig, I end up with a "flood everything" level aquifer or w/e. I guess next time I'll just build in the continent and dig deeeeep down.

Can't you just filter for aquifers on the embark screen?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mirthless posted:

You've been able to dismantle trade posts to get all the trade goods for a really long time, but IIRC, caravans treat this exactly the same as if you'd hit the Seize button on the trade screen; This is how you end up at war with Dwarves

Christ, I can't believe the tutorial can put you in the shadow of a tower

Pretty sure the tutorial just checks for the presence of basic necessary stuff like dirt and iron, but I had that happen to me without a tower around. It was just 4 zombies, easily dispatched by my starting macedwarf (always bring a macedwarf).

The goblin teeth flying everywhere when your squad of Mace Lords hits the enemy is... quite something.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

All the hotkeys are different now pretty much

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shoehead posted:

Oh holy crap ok I got my Marksdwarves to FINALLY pick up ammo. You need to set them to the default archer uniform and not touch anything else, it's definitely bugged for new uniforms

Works on my machine, I just assigned them a crossbow and it auto-assigned a quiver and bolts when the crossbow was assigned to them.

Nosre posted:

Dwarves need to not have a fear of heights to enter this fort. Also, the defensive possibilities are endless!

Weapon traps on the walkway. Watch goblins dodge right off into thin air like Wile E. Coyote

Nettle Soup posted:

This thing wiped out my 70+ dwarf fortress without a single scratch. The mayor and the child somehow ended up in the cage traps long after the fight was over. They were never involved in the fighting, there was no combat logs for them and they were uninjured, so I have no idea how it happened. They both lived long enough for a migrant wave to appear and rescue them.

If there are webs on top of a cage trap, any creature that steps on it (incl. ones normally immune) will be trapped by it. That might be why.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

wilderthanmild posted:

Apparently there is a bug that breaks marksdwarves. If you don't use the default archer uniform, or accidentally delete it, they will never pick up any ammo. It has some special uniform component that you can't specify for carrying the ammo. Maybe the trick there will be to exploit a separate bug, specifically that civilian hunters have a default uniform that overrides the military one. Then at least my marksdwarves will have xbows and bolts.

That component is assigned when you assign them a crossbow. I've had custom uniforms that work just fine when I assign them a crossbow specifically, but only if the quiver lights up green when I assign the uniform (they don't seem to ever update their assignments unless you re-assign). It seems the quiver assignment is triggered by the crossbow assignment and the bolt assignment is triggered by the quiver assignment.

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Can anyone shed some light on the justice system?

There was a murder, a dwarf was found dead and mysteriously drained of all their blood. Very puzzling. So I assigned a captain of the guard, no one had appropriate skills so I just picked a random axedwarf. Now I'm not sure how I can assign the case to them. It says no cases assigned next to them, and all I can do is choose to interrogate a bunch of people. I've worked my way through about 30 of my 98 dwarfs but there's never any pertinent information. Also none of the witnesses show up in the interrogation list. Is this what I'm supposed to do? Interrogate everyone and hope for some results?

You can catch the culprit in the act yourself if you're observant, but other than that it's a guessing game. "No witnesses" means no one came forward to accuse that dwarf.

DarthRoblox posted:

Hmm, so my first foray into dwarfhood in probably 10 years ended predictably. I thought I was trucking along well enough and was heading into the first winter with about 20 dwarfs, when a pack of 10 zombies (ruined slayers) showed up and absolutely minced everyone.

Now, granted, I hadn't gotten around to setting up any kind of defenses or proper squads, but I was still kinda surprised that I did 0 damage even in 4-5 on ones. Is that the kind of threat I should be preparing for within a year or did I just get a bit unlucky?

You want to build cage traps. But yeah, if you settled near a tower, that seems to be death in my experience.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zereth posted:

I believe this has changed and creatures now need to be in contact with each other to breed.

Merely "being in adjacent squares" is enough though, there's no sex.

That explains why two of my mace lords had a kid. I thought it was cute.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Love can bloom on the battlefield

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

leekster posted:

Does anyone know how to get crossbow training to work? I have the ranges set up, bolts prepared, and a squad that are all equipped with crossbows and quivers but none of them train.

I've only ever gotten it to work by setting them to staggered or constant training without a Train order. They go periodically, not often.

Feliday Melody posted:

I just got this game after playing and loving so many games that iterated on this, and there are some qol things that I've become used to that I can't find.

If I want to craft 10 beds. I can't just tell the carpenter to craft 10 beds. Do I have to tell him to craft 1 bed ten times? Is that how it works?

Assign a manager with n, go to work orders with o, create an order to craft 10 beds.

DarthRoblox posted:

Lol I was in my tutorial start. Along with that other guy upthread, seems like the game likes to give newbies a good firm intro to dwarfin'

I got some zombies that showed up in the middle of nowhere but it was only 4 shambling corpses. 3 of them got taken out by cage traps and my starting macedwarf took out the last (always bring a starting macedwarf, I pretty much exclusively use macedwarves). However I hadn't yet sorted out the bug with them not putting boots on if they have shoes and aren't set to strip before wearing armor, so she got hit in the foot and crippled for life because she wasn't wearing her boots. She's now a legendary crutchwalker and I removed the shield from her uniform so she can use a crutch with one hand and swing her mace with the other.

Oh yeah, and I also made her the baroness, and then countess, and then duchess. She's a mace lord now and legendary at just about everything, leading my A-Team squad into battle and pummeling Forgotten Beasts.

(She has a really fancy tomb now, don't worry, it just took me a while to get around to it.)

Apparently she's never actually killed anything besides that zombie dwarf, presumably because she rarely gets there before all her boys mob them. She leads from behind, I guess. Regardless, she rules and I love her. I highly recommend putting your nobility in the military, it makes it much more tolerable to cater to their whims when they're protecting your fort and creating stories to tell. And if they die, well, that's one fewer whiny noble.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 11, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah if you dig down you'll find water eventually.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

IcePhoenix posted:

Do I need to like do a little bit of strip mining hoping to find damp stone (or is that only a warning I get if it's an aquifer?) or will it be really obvious as soon as the stairs get made?

I'd recommend 3x3 stairs to make sure you're not likely to mine right past it, but just digging straight down will lead you into it eventually, it'll be obvious.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Why the hell can't I gather ye melons while I may

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

IcePhoenix posted:

oh I found a cavern that's why you said it would be obvious when I found water lmao

I guess I just build a well on top of it? Or should I build a ramp down to the same surface level as it?

You can build a staircase straight down to above the water and then channel the stairs one by one from the bottom up, then put your well at the top.

It'll just take a long time to pull up water.

You can (and should) go into advanced world gen to set caverns to be generated flatter so they're actually comprehensible.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

IcePhoenix posted:

ok so I did this and it's just turning the stairwell into open space, is it because the stairwell was next to open space?

Channeling destroys the stairs and turns them into open space. You can use this to make a pit down to the caverns safely, and put your well atop it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You can see if stuff's planted in a farm by clicking on it and checking the building inventory. Planted seeds will show up inside it.

The rest is all very good criticism that like a thousand old players (and many new) have brought up so I'm sure it will all be fixed soon.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Feliday Melody posted:

At this rate, we're talking a lot of dedicated map space here.

Map space is not at a premium in DF.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Popete posted:

I created and populated my first beehive and it contains 10955 bees :stare:

Pretty low for a beehive, they're usually at least 60k (in real life).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Redeye Flight posted:

God drat I'm mad at this fisher dwarf rear end in a top hat.

The FIRST DAY we arrived, not even done digging out the initial tunnel yet, and I get the message that he's fighting something and has died. There's an awesome ravine on this map, and he decided to go fish right above the waterfall that pours into it, fell off the waterfall, got stingrayed in the face at the bottom of said waterfall, and died. Now he's haunting the fortress.

I'm not sure how to recover this body, frankly, and I'm going to be very cheesed if this winds up destroying the fort, the site is really cool. Am I going to have to do something as drastic as diverting the entire upper river here?

Just make a slab and engrave it at a stoneworker shop. He'll be happy with that.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ChaseSP posted:

Something I learned wiki diving but apparently minecarts can skip across water, which okay whatever. But this also extends to magma and this is the funniest poo poo to find out,. especially that you can skip up to 50 tiles.

Minecarts are the best addition in a decade even though they're complicated as hell

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

IcePhoenix posted:

You don't say :monocle:

I don't suppose you can tell me why nobody is building it

It seems to be low-priority or something. Took ages for mine to get built too.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Broken Cog posted:

What the hell, the game just sent me me a migrant wave of 25, where 22 of them were children.

I've noticed this change from previous versions, I suspect it's because dwarves mature at 18 now instead of 12 so dwarves that used to come in as adults are now still considered children. Over half my fort was kids at one point.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Not even close.
I've built a fort that lasted over 1000 in-game years, by which time I'd spent every single tile either making rooms for zones or making things out of the material.

lol OP's dwarves all dehydrated to death because they couldn't figure out how to make a well. I don't think they're gonna have a thousand-year fort for a while

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 12, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

deep dish peat moss posted:

So I know dwarves can't hurt each other while sparring. What's the point of training weapons? Is it just that they're cheaper to make? Is there any reason to make training weapons if my actual military dwarves have iron weapons?

They are probably an artifact of older versions when dwarves did not hold back on each other and/or formal sparring wasn't a thing.

They're useful if you wanna disarm some goblins and stick your dwarves in there to practice on them.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dark Off posted:

wait a minute thats not my civ..

if she seeks full citizenship i guess i could send her to raid her own civilization for !!!fun!!

How'd you get a monster slayer in a squad? Mine are useless.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Okay, I know I read a post about this the other day but I forget what it said :sweatdrop:

These are both barracks, the top barracks wears metal armor and is melee is trains just fine.
The bottom barracks is Archers, they all have crossbows equipped, I have bolts made, they're stored in a bin inside the barracks. But when they train, they're only training melee combat drills and not using the archery targets.

How do I make them actually train shooting?

You need to zone an archery range. I usually zone each target into its own range, just a long skinny 1x7 or w/e will do.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think it's nice to spoiler stuff for the many, many newbies so that they can make all the usual mistakes on their own.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

toasterwarrior posted:

Oh, no wonder, the default mineral generation settings in the Steam version is basically maxed out. No wonder it's pretty much everywhere.

Yeah, this was recommended to set in the newbie guide for 47 so I guess Toady just made it the default. In fairness it IS kind of more fun.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tarezax posted:

Considering that my fortress has had three different necromancers immigrate so far, I think the incidence of necromancy in worldgen may be a mite overtuned, but it sure is generating some weird and wonderful history.

Yeah, apparently the evil tablets that carry the secrets of necromancy will just end up in a dwarven settlement sometimes after the tower is defeated. Nobody thinks having the profane knowledge of life and death laying around is a big deal, so people regularly get curious and learn the dark arts, and the legends end up with a lot of necromancers. Or so I read from one of Toady's posts iirc.

Tunicate posted:

weird, got an alert that my artifact had been moved from its proper place, but I looked and it's right where it should be.

must have been the wind

*Indiana Jones gif*

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

rain dogs posted:

Is there anyway to mass select placed items like beds to move or even destroy? I'm trying to relocate my fortress a few levels down into the stone parts and the prospect of individually moving however many beds (and statues) I have placed is making me think about giving up and starting a new one, which is a shame because I made it seven years on the fort I did the tutorial with.

Haha.... yeah, no, sorry, it's extremely painful. In the classic version you at least had hotkeys for marking them for removal. I don't blame you for considering quitting in comparison to all that clicking.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

pisshead posted:

What are the cavern layers?

An underground feature. Dig down and explore :)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Put more valuable stuff in your tavern? An artifact on display seems to result in an absolute slew of visitors and keeps your captain of the guard busy.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Super No Vacancy posted:

can i enclose a box on the surface for farming with stone walls and tunnel up to it

You sure can! There may be unforeseen consequences

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fun, potentially!

wilderthanmild posted:

I'm just gonna end any question response or advice post with this now.

:)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

There's plenty of pain

But a lot of stuff is improved

(Some stuff is worse somehow)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

What worked for me:

1. New uniform, explicitly assign crossbow
2. Save uniform
3. Equip squad, assign uniform
4. The red weapon icon on the left should turn yellow/ green if they are successfully assigned a crossbow.
5. IF THEY ARE NOT: you need to make more crossbows and RE-ASSIGN the uniform or they will never pick one up
6. If it turns green, a quiver icon should appear between the armor icons and the backpack icon. It is automatically assigned based on them being assigned a crossbow. If that turns green they have been assigned a quiver
7. If it does not you need to make more quivers and RE-ASSIGN the uniform. Again, only assigning the uniform again seems to get them to pick new stuff up.
8. If the quiver icon is green, whenever they go to pick up their uniform, another bolts icon should appear next to it. This means they've been assigned bolts top use. It goes away when they put away their uniform.

My marksdwarves have been working just fine with a custom metal armor uniform this way. I set them to staggered training schedule and they alternate between hunting and training in the barracks/using archery targets.

It doesn't work as well as in 47 but it works well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pierson posted:

Is there a guide on how to do real excavation to hunt down ore/gem veins? I'm kind of just digging long single-width corridors down and if I find something dig out a big square there. Is there a better way?

Click on the right arrow when designating mining (bottom middle right) and click on AUTO to auto mine veins and stuff out so you don't need the big square.

Or continue to designate the square so that you get some stone chunks.