Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Be nice if there were more warnings on the embark screen.

WARNING: There's fuckoff huge dragon living 20 tiles from where the caravan is going to stop and he's going to set the entire map on fire and destroy everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Can anyone shed some light on the justice system?

There was a murder, a dwarf was found dead and mysteriously drained of all their blood. Very puzzling. So I assigned a captain of the guard, no one had appropriate skills so I just picked a random axedwarf. Now I'm not sure how I can assign the case to them. It says no cases assigned next to them, and all I can do is choose to interrogate a bunch of people. I've worked my way through about 30 of my 98 dwarfs but there's never any pertinent information. Also none of the witnesses show up in the interrogation list. Is this what I'm supposed to do? Interrogate everyone and hope for some results?

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
Is there any sort of mass diamante tool?
I want to deconstruct an entire block of bedrooms. There are 160 pieces of furniture for me to click on and dismantle, one at a time unless there's a better way.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Welp my fort is now consistently crashing for an unknown reason. Guess it's time to make a new embark!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Another wereskink appeared, so I sent my militia after it, having been stationed near the depot in case perfidious elvion took issue with my wood cutting.

Turns out one hammerdwarf was roaming around going after thieving monkeys, fine with me. Except he was way out ahead of the rest of the squad so charged in alone. He got several good hits in, dodging all return attacks, though serving to do nothing but breaking insignificant bones and causing bruises. Until the skink got a lucky bite and brought him down*, fortunately (for me) killing the hammerdwarf (so no quarantine was in order)

The werecreature then took off after citizens totally ignoring my burrow order, who ran away in good order, my plate armored dwarfs lagging behind. Eventually the skink went up a tree and disappeared. My squad returned to milling around the trade depot. Weird, I thought.

Turns out, after a later body discovery, the wereskink has transformed back into a dwarven child and fallen from the tree into a pond, and drowned. Guess it's hard to swim with broken ankles.

The fallen hammerdwarf was interred in the tombs, accompanied by an order for all soldiers to stop wielding fuckin hammers. Axes, swords, and spears from here on.

*A bite through his unarmored foot. This particular hammerdwarf has been a guest who had petitioned for citizenship and had never properly equipped himself for some reason.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Appoda posted:

I appreciate it! My problem is that I'm quite near the ocean -- my worry is that all that water is seawater, which would mean an endless amount of water. I'll give it a try anyways though, might as well give myself a little project before I retire the fort.
My current fort is a coastal fort with approximately half the map as ocean. The Light Aquifer I have there is, apparently, fresh water. This makes little sense to me, but oh well. It should not matter what is happening out in the sea because it doesn't have a direct connection to your aquifer. Just give it a shot.

Speaking of aquifers, I think I figured out the mysterious leak I had going in my entrance ramp. As I have mentioned previously, I have a light aquifer. I created a ramp path down through it to allow merchant wagons access. Each floor of the ramp passage is 3 tiles wide by 4 long. The 4 are split into:

1: Ramp up to higher Z level.
2&3: Floor.
4: Channel down to lower Z level.

What I have determined is that the aquifer was leaking out through the bottom of its tiles into the lower z level, in addition to the usual sideways. I had to carve out all the aquifer tiles above the open areas in the layer below and do a standard wall off there to stop it.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I love each and every post about all the forts and stories itt. Thank you everybody for sharing, there are some gold nuggets in here.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I mentioned earlier that I found 4 dwarves really unhappy and it turned out to be 4 horrified kids playing make believe in the corpse stockpile.

It's much darker, it was those 4 dwarven children's mom's corpse. I didn't think to check this at the time.

Which might be why the 4 of them have never risen above the bottom 3 happiness levels since then.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I once had a beautiful fort, with a high plateau right next to a volcano and with several interesting rock formations that I was already planning to use as watchtowers. When I unpaused, that's when the dragon (who at the time was just a big green D) showed up and, well

You know the rest.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

VictualSquid posted:

Got a situation where my "make bins if there are less then 10 empty bins" order fails to activate. I have no available bins, which is noticeable because half of my freshly expanded bar stockpile has bars lying on the floor.
I assume it is because I have a lot of empty bins in my cloth/leather stockpile, and they count for the order despite the dwarves not moving them to where they are needed.

Is there a way to avoid that problem? I just increased the minimum amount of desired bins for now.

You can reduce the number of bins allowed in the cloth/leather stockpile by clicking the barrel icon in the stockpile view, so the extras should get moved (I have not tested this).

wilderthanmild posted:

Oh, I mentioned earlier that I found 4 dwarves really unhappy and it turned out to be 4 horrified kids playing make believe in the corpse stockpile.

It's much darker, it was those 4 dwarven children's mom's corpse. I didn't think to check this at the time.

Which might be why the 4 of them have never risen above the bottom 3 happiness levels since then.

This is a good loving game.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

madmatt112 posted:

I love each and every post about all the forts and stories itt. Thank you everybody for sharing, there are some gold nuggets in here.

:hmmyes:

I quite enjoyed Deeplance part 2, and the horny Human Bard of a few pages ago was possibly one of the funniest things I've seen in the past month.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This is probably a weird question but are mugs/cups picked up by dwarves and kept for drinking or do I need to figure out a way to keep them in my tavern for use (also how do I do this)

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

IcePhoenix posted:

This is probably a weird question but are mugs/cups picked up by dwarves and kept for drinking or do I need to figure out a way to keep them in my tavern for use (also how do I do this)

I am desperately trying to figure this out. Let me know if you do.

ALSO: Deeplance is now a barony!!! And you get to promote one of your dwarves to baron instead of a random noble showing up to rule you after all your hard work! I didn't know that? When did that change?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I think they put them back

Anyway, build a chest/coffer in your tavern.

If your pop is big, check the tavern details through the room menu for the number of mugs requested

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you put a chest in your tavern your dwarves will automatically fill it with drinking implements

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Constructed fortifications only go halfway up, but carved fortifications fill the entire tile volume, right? I think that’s how it used to be?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Arist posted:

If you put a chest in your tavern your dwarves will automatically fill it with drinking implements

Only up to 10 mugs/goblets by default!

So if your tavern is servicing a bunch of customers you may want to increase this

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

God, these loving bards just keep beating down my door asking to stay, and worse, my broker won't stop socializing at the tavern and I missed a trade window because of it!!!!! :argh:

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Now that i'm a barony, I have incorporated a holding??? What the gently caress?? I don't understand. what does this mean.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Arist posted:

God, these loving bards just keep beating down my door asking to stay, and worse, my broker won't stop socializing at the tavern and I missed a trade window because of it!!!!! :argh:

A burrow that only includes the depot and your broker that you turn on/off as needed should force the matter.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Can you do this with dining rooms?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

wilderthanmild posted:

Can you do this with dining rooms?

it does not work in dining rooms, based on what I've observed

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Arrath posted:

I think they put them back

Anyway, build a chest/coffer in your tavern.

If your pop is big, check the tavern details through the room menu for the number of mugs requested

Appreciate it, thank you!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Pickled Tink posted:

My current fort is a coastal fort with approximately half the map as ocean. The Light Aquifer I have there is, apparently, fresh water. This makes little sense to me, but oh well. It should not matter what is happening out in the sea because it doesn't have a direct connection to your aquifer. Just give it a shot.
Aquifers in real life actually flow from higher to lower elevations. You can get fresh water out of them, even on the coast. This is more realistic than the old way where basically nothing was potable on coastal tiles. It may nevertheless be a bug though because I started a fort a few tiles away from the coast (on a volcano!) and it gave me the salt water warning, but as far as I can tell all the water on the map is potable.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

it does not work in dining rooms, based on what I've observed

That sucks because I HATE having a stockpile of mugs in there.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
Hmm, so my first foray into dwarfhood in probably 10 years ended predictably. I thought I was trucking along well enough and was heading into the first winter with about 20 dwarfs, when a pack of 10 zombies (ruined slayers) showed up and absolutely minced everyone.

Now, granted, I hadn't gotten around to setting up any kind of defenses or proper squads, but I was still kinda surprised that I did 0 damage even in 4-5 on ones. Is that the kind of threat I should be preparing for within a year or did I just get a bit unlucky?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Do I need to worry about work details? It seems everyone knows what to do

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lunar detritus posted:

Do I need to worry about work details? It seems everyone knows what to do

It's good if you want dwarves with specific skills to bias towards performing relevant tasks. Also you're probably going to want more than the default single dwarf doing big tasks like woodcutting or mining

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

sloppy portmanteau posted:

There was a murder, a dwarf was found dead and mysteriously drained of all their blood. Very puzzling. So I assigned a captain of the guard, no one had appropriate skills so I just picked a random axedwarf. Now I'm not sure how I can assign the case to them. It says no cases assigned next to them, and all I can do is choose to interrogate a bunch of people. I've worked my way through about 30 of my 98 dwarfs but there's never any pertinent information. Also none of the witnesses show up in the interrogation list. Is this what I'm supposed to do? Interrogate everyone and hope for some results?

You got a vampire problem. And its... sort of working. Thing is, vampires go after sleeping dwarves and well, they're the only two in the room so you're generally not going to have any witnesses. So unless your interrogator gets lucky and gets a confession from the vampire themselves, you won't have anything.

There's a few ways to figure out who the vampire is, but that might be spoilery. I'll let you figure it out if you want, or just ask if you need help.

(Also ramble ramble want my gangtag. :( )

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Arist posted:

It's good if you want dwarves with specific skills to bias towards performing relevant tasks. Also you're probably going to want more than the default single dwarf doing big tasks like woodcutting or mining
In my experience a single dwarf woodcutting for five minutes is going to give you enough wood for years. Though that's in a world where wood only becomes bins, barrels, and beds, with the logic that stone is way more plentiful for everything else.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tiler Kiwi posted:

dwarfs propagate via spores

I believe this has changed and creatures now need to be in contact with each other to breed.

Merely "being in adjacent squares" is enough though, there's no sex.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

wilderthanmild posted:

Apparently there is a bug that breaks marksdwarves. If you don't use the default archer uniform, or accidentally delete it, they will never pick up any ammo. It has some special uniform component that you can't specify for carrying the ammo. Maybe the trick there will be to exploit a separate bug, specifically that civilian hunters have a default uniform that overrides the military one. Then at least my marksdwarves will have xbows and bolts.

That component is assigned when you assign them a crossbow. I've had custom uniforms that work just fine when I assign them a crossbow specifically, but only if the quiver lights up green when I assign the uniform (they don't seem to ever update their assignments unless you re-assign). It seems the quiver assignment is triggered by the crossbow assignment and the bolt assignment is triggered by the quiver assignment.

sloppy portmanteau posted:

You can catch the culprit in the act yourself if you're observant, but other than that it's a guessing game. "No witnesses" means no one came forward to accuse that dwarf.

DarthRoblox posted:

Hmm, so my first foray into dwarfhood in probably 10 years ended predictably. I thought I was trucking along well enough and was heading into the first winter with about 20 dwarfs, when a pack of 10 zombies (ruined slayers) showed up and absolutely minced everyone.

Now, granted, I hadn't gotten around to setting up any kind of defenses or proper squads, but I was still kinda surprised that I did 0 damage even in 4-5 on ones. Is that the kind of threat I should be preparing for within a year or did I just get a bit unlucky?

You want to build cage traps. But yeah, if you settled near a tower, that seems to be death in my experience.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Look, I ran out of logs earlier today and I absolutely panicked and had five dwarves on woodcutting detail frantically trying to get more

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zereth posted:

I believe this has changed and creatures now need to be in contact with each other to breed.

Merely "being in adjacent squares" is enough though, there's no sex.

That explains why two of my mace lords had a kid. I thought it was cute.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That explains why two of my mace lords had a kid. I thought it was cute.

Yeah thanks to training rooms, militia tend to spawn a lot of kids. Who they then carry into battle. It's a little psychotic.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Love can bloom on the battlefield

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You want to build cage traps. But yeah, if you settled near a tower, that seems to be death in my experience.

Lol I was in my tutorial start. Along with that other guy upthread, seems like the game likes to give newbies a good firm intro to dwarfin'

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.

Eiba posted:

bins, barrels, and beds

:bsg:

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Does anyone know how to get crossbow training to work? I have the ranges set up, bolts prepared, and a squad that are all equipped with crossbows and quivers but none of them train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I just got this game after playing and loving so many games that iterated on this, and there are some qol things that I've become used to that I can't find.

If I want to craft 10 beds. I can't just tell the carpenter to craft 10 beds. Do I have to tell him to craft 1 bed ten times? Is that how it works?