Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Baby's first fortress questions:

I seem to have stumbled on an extremly fertile forest area full of all sorts of berries and plants and lots of cherry and nut tress. So far all I have managed to work out how to do is select the gather plants designation and then click on indvidualy ripe berries, but I have no idea how to harvest tree products. Now I dont want to be no fag elf living in harmony poo poo, so how do I most efectively exploit all this potential alcohol in a more organised fashion?

I think I have a more or less stable food setup now with a 2x3 farm suplemented with whatever berries that don't get brewed, so it seems the next step is some milita. I'm using the LNP but I find the various tools almost as intimidating as the ingame lists. Can someone please walk through how you choose who does what job, and what factors you take into account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Next question:

How do you expand a stockpile that you have already placed?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Can dwarves fall off bridges? I'd built a 1x1 bridge and I think my woodcuter just fell off it carying a barrel. I can't think of any other reason why he'd be drowning in the river with a crushed everything.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
How do you dig out a chamber that is more than one Z level tall?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So I'm on to baby's first third fort now, and it's coming along nicely, food is stable with a couple of dwarves in the military and it's an awesome spot carved out of the walls of a canyon wherea smaller river meets the main one with a waterfall. The only probelm is I have yet to find any ore other than Galena, and it's really starting to hurt. The site has 5 layers of Mudstone for it's sedimentary layer, and I have dug through most of it in a 15x15 grid without finding anything but precious fire opal and morion. Under that there is gneiss then slate, gabbro, dolemite and at the depest level I have reached mica and marble. Unfortunately as I understand it from the wiki, all of your useful iron ores and most of the common copper ores are to be found in sedimentary layers, but I seem to have the wrong kind of sedimentary layers.

I'm thinking I could probably get away with only importing iron ore, but I would need atleast to be able to make bronze myself. As I understand it if I find granite down here I could probably get some tin, and even zinc, but I haven't found any copper yet so that would be pretty useless on their own. Advice? Is trading for all my metal needs likely to be viable, given that I am obviously not very exeprienced at DF? I did just have an imigrant arive who is an expert negotiator, maybe that will help.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It's the default sized world and site.

How do I go about gearing up for trading then? Reading the wiki sugests I need a bookeeper to determine what I have available, and then a broker to decide how much it is worth and to handle the trading negotiations. What are some good things to make early to trade, I have acess to silver and lead and plenty of low grade gems, as well as marble, which I think I read is worth twice as much as other stone. Since I'm going to have to import everything, I would want my exports to be of the highest quality, how do I arrange it so that only one dwarf crafts stone, one makes metal crafts, ect?

Also is there any trade value in renewable stuff I can make like food or booze or wood crafts? (not to elves obviously).

How do I see who my neighbours are now that I have embarked?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

MANGOSTEEN CURES P posted:

If you have a single tile of sand anywhere on the map, quality serrated glass discs are so valuable it's practically cheating. Valuable to you as well as in terms of dwarfbucks, 10 of those per weapon trap is no joke.

I have an entire layer full of sand, I shall become the number one glass shuriken manufacturer in all dwarfdom then. Thanks for the help guys, next question:

I want to set up an underground farm just beside the river. It is currently winter and I have taken advantage of the frozen ice to dig out some chambers which comunicate with the river ia a tunnel 1 wide. This is on the same z level as the river bed,, the river itself is one z level deep so I have dug stairs in the ice down to the river bed then dug sideways into the bank to hollow out my farming spaces. Once the thaw comes this should then flood I think, and if I put a floodgate in the tunnel I can then close it and stop more water from getting in, but how do I empty the water that has got in? Can I wait for it to freeze and then dig it out as ice next winter, or will that not leave soil behind? I'm thinking that wouldn't work since the areas of the river bed I have exposed say that they lack mud if I try to build a farm on them, even though the tile appears as mud visually.

Presumably I could dig out another chamber of equal or greater zolume one z level down with a floodgate between and use that as a sump to empty the farms, but is there a more elegant solution than that?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Congratulations in advance on drowning everyone! (possibly)

Good thinking, wrong answer. Water will fill to its maximum height in parallel z levels. So you won't have a trickle of water from the river filling your farm, you'll have about 30 seconds as river water floods in and fills the room and everything it can worm its way into.

A floodgate is a really good idea to prevent this, just work fast before the ice thaws!

In the future he's how I recommend doing it

code:
River level:
~ = Water, # = Wall, X = flood gate

~~##########
~~##########
~~#X -> To farm
~~##########
~~##########
Dig out your farm and setup a flood gate against the one remaining wall tile between it and the river. This prevents your dwarf from trapping himself on the wrong side of the gate. Set up a lever and link it to the flood gate. Then come in from above and channel ([d], [h]) the flood above the remaining wall section, this will remove that piece of floor and the wall between the water and the flood gate at no risk to your miner.

Then cycle the flood gate open/closed briefly, adjust the time you have it open such that a small wave of water washes slowly over your farm and evaporates in a puddle in the corner.

Don't worry, I took precuations. The floodgate is in place and the whole complex does not yet connect to the rest of the fort, the only access is by climbing down the stairs in the river, and via a vertical shaft of stairs. If I really gently caress it up a worst I have a large underground cistern.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
What are the diferences of doors vs flood gates? The wiki isn't quite a s explicit as I'd like, and I don't want to flood myself over the confusion. THe wiki claims that for coridoors 1 wide, doors equivalent to fllodgates and offer some advantages. So mainly my question is if I set a door to forbiden then link it to a lever, can it be opened by anything but the lever or building destroyer/lockpicking enemy?

E: also how do I get dwarfs to put bins in the stockpile I want them to put bins in, rather than any one?

E:E: I have a mechanic making mechanisms, and rather than use the plentiful slate right beside him he is traveling to use gneiss, is slate unsuitable for making mechanisms? I can't see how given that I have made mudstone mechanisms without issue. I specified the orders via j > m > q, and just asked for "rock" mechanisms, so I can't see that it could ahve been a specific order somehow.

E:E:E: he isn't even taking the closest gneiss, he's wandering half way across the fort for it, the dumbass.

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 14, 2015

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I started a new site in the end, not having any metal was just getting too tedious. My new fort is on an island, which I believe means that the only threats I need to worry about are the really fun ones. If the entrance to my fort is only 1 wide, can the large creatures still get in to it? I know trade carts need at least 3x1 to be able to path, what about a titan or other such monstrosity?

Also, RE dealing with untrappable things, I know a cave in will kill anything, but as I understand it it might destroy the body and any equipment it might have, there by preventing me from eating, smelting or using its skull as a house, which would sadden me. If I instead casue the cave in underneath it and drop it into a big pit, will it then leave all its earthly remains intact? I know in the cave in I have caused dwarfs have died but never disappeared entirely.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'm pretty sure I embarked to a temperate, not arctic island, but the sea is still frozen here in the winter. Does that mean I could receive visits, friendly or otherwise apart from the dwarf caravan?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Are there any creatures that can survive been frozen into ice blocks?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

pixaal posted:

Wouldn't walking through a beer mist make you all sticky?

Not if you lick it all off.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Wardogs armoured in cat leather and bone armour :smugdog:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That's definitely a real thing that happens, yes. Duno if it's done so much these days, they might just rear the lamb artificially, but there are significant benefits to the ewe who lost her lamb as well as the orphan/reject. Any creature who had a rotten baby pop out of them is going to feel like poo poo and giving them something to focus on is half way to curing them. Get those mother hormones flowing.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Will they still do that if you have a 2 thickness wall? I believe you can also use a layer of statues, since dwarfs will dodge into statues but won't otherwise path into them.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
As far as I am aware you can slaughter dwarven caravans or personnel thereof with complete impunity diplomatically. Probably best to do it environmentally to avoid potential loyalty issues though.

If you want to kill more than the liaison you can do so in adventure mode I should think.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Are we really still going to live in worlds effectively devoid of goblins and other fun stuff? :(

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Makes sense doesn't it? If you survive the initial trauma of a large area burn, don't you die of dehydration because all your water just evaporates away without your skin to seal it in?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

TheCIASentMe posted:

This is correct. Sieges are still happening but the bug is that they never arrive at your site due to pathing issues. If you want sieges, try to embark in an area that does not have mountains. I realize this is very non-dwarfy. But I'd argue it is more non-dwarfy to not have sieges.

So, to sum up the last couple pages.

Embark in an area with no trees and no mountains. Look and see where your nearest goblin fortress is (or tower for undead) and make sure there are no mountains inbetween your site and theirs.

But the question is has this bug been acknowledged and queued up for fixing or are we just getting dancing instead?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yes, by designating every tile!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Select the depot and press something, I think f? And it pops up an overlay to visualise access. Note that you only need a 1x1 valid path, it takes into consideration the size of the cart and blanks out 2 wide routes.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

I feel like formal school zones wouldn't be that hard to implement right now for toady considering most of the stuff is there for it already.
Does anyone have any ideas about any other easy zone types that would be pretty easy to do now?

Gladiatorial arenas? You could collect a variety of creatures and enemies in traps and le them out to entertain the masses. I mean you can already do that more or less but make it so that all units in the arena are hostile to all other units, regardless of other loyalties, and make dwarfs watching get a happiness boost. And slave rebellions, that would be cool.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Are there any compatible tile sets out yet? I can't deal with a fort without DFhack and Therapist, but I'd like to poke around in adventure mode a bit. ASCII is incomprehensible eye cancer to me though.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11309

Lazy Newb Pack has a version out for 42.02, most of the tools don't work yet but it can install tilesets.

Thanks.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Having a little bit of difficulty with depot accessibility. As you can see the depot is considered accessible and there is a path at least 1x1 to the edge of the map, but the first caravan just arrived and the wagon bypassed. Could it be because of that one tile in the top left of the depot which doesn't have full clearance around it? Any other ideas?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The caravan arrived from the south I'm pretty sure. The specific area it arrived in though is a sort of corrie that would be a huge pain in the rear end to make wagon accessible. Is any access from the south edge good enough? Although now that I look at it it seems to me that I can trace a route up the side of the hill from the south too.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The problem with spike pits is some gobo might get really lucky and end up surviving the fall and gaining godly defence skills. Or does that not happen anymore?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So in my latest fortress I'm not getting the outpost liaison showing up. My civ isn't extinct, it has plenty of sites and there's no shortage of migrants, but this is the second caravan and still no liaison. This is proving something of a pain in the rear end as this is a really interesting map but seems to lack weapon grade metal apart from silver. I'm planning on relying on traps with glass components for now, but is there any chance a liaison will eventually arrive?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Zesty posted:

Double check your location on the embark screen. Do you have neighbor access to dwarves?

I'm sure I had neighbour access to dwarves, humans elves and goblins. Plus the caravans and migrants arrive fine, just there's no liaison accompanying them. Is there. Under the civs screen my civ has a liaison listed, could he be stuck somewhere somehow? Can I use legends viewer or something to track him down and see what he's up to?

Also I seem to have a whole lot of aquifers in non sedimentary layers, what's up with that?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah sure it's just the wiki strongly implies they would only be found in sedimentary layers. I think I'll just use DF hack to get rid of the ones I don't want, I don't care about most of them but some of them are in the middle of my grand hall and digging out a large area of aquifer seems like it would be a major pain in the dick.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

scamtank posted:

I'm getting the feeling that by "sedimentary layers" you mean just sand and dirt and by "non-sedimentary" you mean certain sediment rocks like the sandstone family

I may be no geologist either but I do at least know what sedimentary stone is. According to the wiki:

dfwiki posted:

Layers which can contain aquifers:
sandy clay loam
silty clay loam
loam
sandy loam
silt loam
loamy sand
silt
sand
yellow sand
white sand
black sand
red sand
peat
pelagic clay
calcareous ooze
siliceous ooze
sandstone
conglomerate
puddingstone

Layers which can't contain aquifers, despite their names suggesting otherwise:
clay
silty clay
sandy clay
clay loam
siltstone
mudstone

All that list looks pretty sedimentary to me.

I've got them showing up in gabbro and granite and quartzite, although the last two might be something to do with them being behind a waterfall, I don't know.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
the damp gabbro I found is deep underground though, but I suppose it's possible there's a cavern with a pond on the level above.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That dedication to pre planning is utterly incomprehensible to me.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Further adventures in aquifers: I'm trying to use the raw editing method to remove my aquifers temporarily as I have long term plans for it but I also want to dig out a large area of it. As per the wiki I have replaced all instances of [aquifer] with (aquifer), in the region1/raws/objects folder. When this didn't work I also did it in the dfdirectory/raws/objects folder to be on the safe side. I feel like theres a step I'm missing somewhere to force DF to read the files again, what is it?

EDIT: I have worked out that having PYLNPS aquifers:on is resulting in the world gen raws being reverted each time I launch DF but it doesn't seem to be effecting the save raws, so it's not that causing the issue.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You can't use raw editing to remove aquifers from an already-existing fortress, IIRC. I can't remember for sure if you have to re-generate the world or if just taking the tag out of the raws and choosing a new embark is enough.

That would explain why then, the wiki didn't make that clear at all. In the end I used tiletypes to get rid of what should have been all the annoying bits of aquifer. Something went slightly wrong somewhere and I've got a pretty major flood going on but I think I've smoothed off all the damp wall so now it's just getting waiting for the water to drain away. Which I think it is doing. I wish it was easier to tell if water is coming out the walls or if it's just residual. Z 109 does seem to be dry now and I think 108 is drying up.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Hmm, things aren't going quite as planned. And I'm still convinced I've got an aquifer in granite here. There's damp granite seeming to produce water 3 z levels below the sandstone aquifers. Also it seems tiletypes remove aquifers ins't exactly consistent. Usually it works but sometime it seems to not work, really weird.

E: great 23 useless chucklefucks just turned up. Well 22 and a great mechanic.

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 30, 2017

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It'd be more useful if I had 20 dwarves to drain this water using their beards as sponges. If enough dwarves run through water and get water coatings does that eventually drain the water down?

I think I've stopped up all but one leak with a combination of crutch smoothing and outright cheating. I have one miner left trapped in the air bubble who is... highly motivated to teach herself stone detailing. I think I've tracked the last leak down to a ceiling at the top of the dome, but I don't have access to the tiles above it without starting another half a dozen floods. IS there no way to smooth ceilings? If not I'll just cheat it away, I feel like I've done enough of this project the hard way that using dfhack a bit doesn't really feel like cheating.

Then there's just the small issue of trying to work out a better drainage system since the one I've designed obviously isn't adequate :v:

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 30, 2017

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well I think I've finaly conquered the aquifer. And as a bonus I can now have farms in my grand hall, ultra fresh plump helmets for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Couldn't you recruit from a tavern these days? Or will that not work on an island?