Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

quote:

Added gelding and associated profession/skill/etc.

So what're the benefits of a master gelder vs a novice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

Beyond the third cavern level in the game there are adamantine spires which are hollow, go through the sea of lava and reach into hell where there are many demons.

Welp, no point in playing the game anymore.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I first started DF, saw the ASCII art, downloaded a tileset then had the wiki opened up to refer to whenever I needed clarification on something. I really don't see how people can say its super complex past its graphics and UI.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

scamtank posted:

breaks and generic parties are gone,

Oh thank god. gently caress the UI stuff, this is the thing I wanted changed.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
As long as its one dwarf satisfying his needs rather then one dwarf going "Hey gently caress work! Who is with me?" and knocking the entire fort's production to a standstill its an improvement.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It seems that Warlock Fortress in Masterwork got a few changes since I last played it, did they fix the issue with ghouls and hospitals where making a hospital will instantly make every ghoul rest and stay bedridden cause they are rotting forever?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Spring is here and love is in the air!

These all happened pretty much one after the other.

EDIT: And after unpausing another marriage happened

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I remember there being some interest in a Masterwork LP, I've been considering doing a Warlock LP. Would anyone care if I use a randomly genned world over the presets that Masterwork comes with?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

Granted I love DFHack for some of its other functions as well - I blatantly cheat if a goblin siege shows up year one and I have no remorse over it at all,

Same. I have like 30 dwarves, none with combat skills, I got nothing for arms and 60 goblins fully armed and armored show up (and are always led by a master marksmen who could kill my entire fort by himself). slayrace goblin, hopefully in 2 seasons I'll have my army up to snuff to play fair.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

I thought you had to hit 80 dwarves by default before sieges happen?

Well ambushes, which often have enough combatants in them they may as well be a siege.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I wish terrifying biomes wouldn't have the rain or reanimation stuff, just lots of dangerous monsters like ogres and harpies. Sometimes I want wildlife more threatening then a giant hamster, but I don't want to deal with reanimation or not getting caravans because the acid rain melted them all down.

EDIT: Like if haunted reanimated and terrifying both reanimated and had hosed up weather, and sinister just had evil creatures.

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 11, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gibbo posted:

just go get the newest version of the Sims.

No, don't. Go with Sims 2, you can make an argument with Sims 3 but I'd highly recommend 2. Don't get 4.

E: Really, I'd recommend getting sims 1 over 4.

Angela Christine posted:

You can do that if you generate from complex parameters. It isn't as hard as it looks. I made a post a while back explaining most of the important bits available in the impenetrable world generation options screens.

You can't divide it up by terrifying and sinister, it either exists in the world or it doesn't. That should only be a problem if for some reason you want to make multiple forts in evil zones in the same world and want them to have different effects, and that probably doesn't come up often.

Thats actually good to know, thanks.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zereth posted:

I thought the game didn't have excrement in it.

Masterwork adds it. It was certainly interesting to see my captain of the guard jump off a mountain after dodging away from some poo poo a monkey threw at him and die.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

VDay posted:

Nothing like spending 30 minutes equipping your military dwarves before accidentally closing the game without saving :suicide:

Toady really needs to add the ability to save military profiles.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Motherfucker's in jail, why's he supposed to be happy

It's social commentary on how inmates are given phones and internet access while in the slammer.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

Hopefully without succubi because that poo poo's weird.

Seriously. I was going to try out a succubi fort, I could look past the corsets and thongs but this

quote:

Tentacle monster -
Unlike what their reputation says about them...... In addition, tentacle monsters will clean nearby succubi off contaminants.

Unlike their reputation where they are rape monsters, they'll still rub their tentacles all over a succubi to clean her off.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Excelzior posted:

Urist cancels digging : Interrupted by getting SERVED

Mass job cancellation: Uris shouts DAAAAAAYUM

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I fired up Masterwork and tried out hermit for the first time. Took a look at my dude's likes and uh

uuuuuuuuh

E: And I've had some whales somehow wash up on shore. I can never run out of food now.

Leal fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 4, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So were evil biomes always just dangerous off the gimmicks of syndrome rain, clouds and reanimation? I've been trying to get into an actual dangerous area embarking in terrifying areas in every biome and the most threatening surface creature that spawned was my horse turning opposed to life by eating some evil grass. Hamsters, snakes, random birds, camels, leopards, deer are all spawning in fully evil biomes. Were beakdogs, harpies, ogres and the like all shoved off to the caverns?

Not only that, I'm playing Masterwork and clicked on the "Surface creatures" which is supposed to add another 115 things to the surface... yet I'm still getting surface creatures that I may as well of just played vanilla and embarked in a calm forest.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So for goons who have played Humans in the masterwork mod: Is the whole merchant system really just a raw material economy? It seems that you can't make any profit buying a raw resource then refining it. Like you can buy 3 wool cloth for 500 sovereigns. You can make 3 shirts out of that cloth. How much can you sell those shirts for?

NOTHING! You need 4 wool shirts to sell for... 500 sovereigns. You lose money refining cloth. Oh but you can buy 4 wool thread for 500 sovereigns, at least then you'll be breaking even.

You literally make more money selling rare silk thread (cloth sells for the exact same price) then you do if you were to turn that silk into clothes. 1 thread is 1000 sovs, 4 rare silk cloth shirts goes for 1500 sovs. You lose out 2,500 sovs for making shirts.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

PublicOpinion posted:

We all know dwarves get bad thoughts from going naked, but do they get bad thoughts from wearing nothing?

It'll be like the dungeon master and wearing 10 robes.

Its like I"m wearing nothing at all

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Oh no, the funds leopard or whatever the gently caress Toady's brother was going on about years ago is hungry once again.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Which DF Build is the latest Masterwork built from? Does it have multi-level trees yet?

There is a Masterwork reborn or something like that which is the latest DF version with multi level trees, but its extremely barebones now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

when the gently caress is the update with all this happening

October

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I think now hunters have their own military equipment set, same with miners and lumberjacks. That means you can't have your miners and lumberjacks wear armor while doing their jobs sadly

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Captain Mediocre posted:

Is the performance still as bad as it was ~6 months ago? Last time I played every fortress ground to a total fps-halt after a year or two.

Optimizing is something Toady doesn't find fun, so it'll probably never happen. Soon we'll playing where it takes an hour for every tick as the game calculates the blood flow of every entity, the exact amount of said blood, dead skin flaking off bodies, sweat generation, odor generation, nutrition calculation and thats not even getting into calculating the mass of every individual rain drop or step by step falling of leaves from trees or...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
One thing you'll want to check on with dwarves personality is something like "Dislikes authority" or something like that, cause for every time they speak to nobility they get a "Had to deal with a pillar of society" or something like that and it stacks. I almost had one of my legendary blacksmiths go berserk cause he had about 200 negative thoughts of speaking to a pillar of society.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You try falling down the stairs while singlehandedly hauling an entire stone cabinet

Thats just another Tuesday for me, working retail.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Kurt Urist cancels play music: Crossbow bolt to the head.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The material determines how effective the item is. You want dense material for warhammers like silver while adamantium is pretty worthless for warhammers, on the flip side silver doesn't do well as an edged weapon meanwhile adamantium makes a perfect blade.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Baloogan posted:

The hydra's head moves with the beat. The hydra's head moves with the beat. The hydra's head moves with the beat. The hydra's head moves with the beat. The hydra's head moves with the beat. The hydra's head moves with the beat. The hydra's head moves with the beat.

The leader of the goblin invaders summons your most legendary dancer to the dance floor!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Naked except for 7 cloaks dungeonmaster returns.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

quote:

Added ability to set invasion wave cap size

Does this mean no more 150+ sieges"ambushes" on my 40 strong fortress in year 2?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Do you have a temple and/or library also? I swear ever since I built those all coordinated dancing has stopped.

Sounds like gyromancy will be coming next

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Decrepus posted:

Has anyone found any good evil(lol) embarks? Ones that combine a good challenge and peril without instant death? It is really frustrating me trying to find one. My last embark was in an area of 75% terrifying biome and the only creatures to come though were some peach faces keas.

Honestly disappointed to see this, this was my problem with .40 too where I go to evil embarks or high savage embarks and the most threatening thing to come my way was when my horses went berserk from eating evil grass. I wanted to fight beakdogs and harpies and trolls, all I got were regular fauna like deer and giant versions of rodents.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

"...Created a Masterpiece X!" "...Created a Masterpiece Y!" "...Created a Masterpiece X!" "A cloud of foul ash has drifted nearby!" "...Created a Masterpiece X!" "...Created a Masterpiece Y!" "...Created a Masterpiece Z!"
"...Found dead." "...Found dead." "...Found dead." "...Found dead."
"...Found dead." "...Found dead." "...Found dead."
"...Found dead." "...Found dead."
"...Found dead."

Wait what...
"...Found dead." (x50)
Apperently the foul ash here instakills everything, no reports are generated to find out if they suffocated or had their skin melt off, or their lungs explode etc.

But ash travels downwards, and before I realized it almost everyone was dead.

The weather effects had potential to be cool, unfortunately the reality is its unfun instadeath mechanics. Iirc bad weather also doesn't effect invaders right? I recall embarking in a biome that had rain that randomly made people become stunned, it was funny watching birds and birdmen plummet to the ground randomly after being covered in the rain. What wasn't funny was the human trader caravan's horse getting stunned right on top a trap and setting it off. What really wasn't fun was the ambush party that followed them being completely immune to the rain's effects.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

scamtank posted:

Meph just loves to BIIIIIICYCLE

iirc the dude bikes around entire countries.

I honestly want to know what he does that allows him free time to mod DF and to take months at a time to bike around different countries.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dreggon posted:

1) bring lots of seeds
4) if you embark with lots of food make a food stockpile at the start of the game so it doesn't all rot

Are these 2 related to the reason you're starting a new fort :v:?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've always enjoyed making ocean forts. It is a let down though when you realize that goblin ambush wearing full armor can easily swim around your walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

The Gross Dump of Squirting? I've had a few of those.

All those 3 parts wine 1 part quarry bush roasts are catching up to you.