Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Apoffys posted:

How does Masterwork do it then? I know that crazy German guy has added a bunch of alternate metals and metal-like materials (steeloak and ironbark for example), so presumably you can just do it the same way he did.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Metal#Alternate_Metal-like_Materials

Yes, you can make "bloodsteel" from blood and ash...

Well, you also need ironbone, which is iron forged from the bones of your enemies. It's mostly there for orcs and warlocks, though dwarves can also make it if they feel so inclined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Although as far as I can tell masterwork can't solve the many outstanding bugs and pains inherent in the beekeeping industry. It's just not viable as a food/alcohol source. Still, at least it keeps a couple of dwarves busy (activating every single ambush on the map as they traverse the entire length to grab a wild bee colony while half your hives sit around full).

It's kind of a shame. Like cheesemaking, or milk in general. I hope it's been addressed in ~THE NEW VERSION~

edit: it also doesn't help that despite being such a low-yield production chain, mead is some of the least valued alcohol in the game, having a value of 1, which it shares with gutter cruor, sewer brew, swamp whiskey, and prickle berry wine. Also as it is considered a "tool" for some reason honey gets stored in Finished Goods stockpiles as well as food stockpiles, so every time you move your goods bins to the depot you may cause job cancellations. Mostly this affects stills, because kitchens rarely use honey. That's probably a good thing, because you can't manipulate honey through the Kitchens screen. The bee industry also produces royal jelly, which hilariously is produced and stored as stacks of 1 and has the same problem as honey does with getting stored in finished goods bins.

edit: oh and mead is produced solely in stacks of 5, have fun

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 3, 2014

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I'll make some of those honey changes, thanks!

On the subject of Masterwork, apparently v.4j is the newest version as of 27 March, but as far as I can tell the latest changelog is from v.4i. Am I just not seeing it?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Met posted:

...no? It was never funny. It's rickrolling.

Don't bring the dulcet tones of Rick Astley into this. Also don't get mad about fakelinks.

But when it comes to archers I've done the training dance enough times that now I just jack up the starting dwarves and buy shootin' skills for the extras. I figure it's not entirely cheating because I don't use them for making food or shelter.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

:siren:You need to be more responsible with your use of the siren emoticon with a new version on the horizon

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Jackson Taus posted:

Huh, I didn't know that. That makes no freaking sense - if animals bust into my fortress and steal my poo poo, I've got to teach them to behave before executing them?

It works out ok, your animal trainers will gain experience that is otherwise pretty difficult to come by, which helps when the time comes to train war animals!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Huh, looked away for a season and when I came back half my fortress was dead and the living half was locked in a tantrum spiral. I wonder what happened - the logs don't go back far enough and the combat log isn't giving me any information. Is there any way to figure out who kicked this whole thing off, or is it time to reclaim?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Huh, even the logs aren't really giving me any more information. A completely uninteresting Shearer went from alive to dead in the space of the two adjacent lines
"Sazir Tunomdomas, Shearer cancels Clean Self: Resting injury.
Sazir Tunomdomas, Shearer has been found dead."

It looks like a handful of dwarves just dropped dead. I looked back through the logs and there's no combat or injuries that might have led to it.

edit: oh, I think I know what happened. There were some gray langurs running around outside. One must have entered the compound and scared my dudes into jumping into the fishing pond. I'd seen it happen earlier and foolishly left a couple of water squares uncovered. Lesson learned, but the fortress was lost!

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 18, 2014

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The other advantage of masterwork iron ammo over weapons is that weapons can't be encrusted with gems, but ammo can!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

ghetto wormhole posted:

Discipline is decent for a couple points if you wanna be sure a certain dwarf won't be scared shitless by a random corpse or something early on. Also possibly a couple points in swimming for your miners if you want to be able to safely use them around water.

A proficient Appraiser at the start will pay for itself too :colbert:

To continue the line of thought from earlier, I recommend bringing a good Gem Setter mostly because it takes a very long time to train and you'd have to set up a glass industry if you didn't want to burn through all your gems on training. Or you could gamble on immigrants, I normally get a good jeweler within the first few waves.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Maybe give your more aspergers-riddled dwarves their own little dining rooms?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

One weird trick the cooper doesn't want you to know

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

So have people been noticing improvements in job prioritization? Do things feel any different since the patch?

Or have we all been waiting for the new dfhack :v:

edit: on the subject of constructions I've been embarking with glassmakers whenever I go to a heavily forested biome. You end up with a ridiculous amount of wood and if you're already using magma for metalforging you haven't got much else to do with it. Glass makes great walls, and you can get a gem setter to work encrusting ammo with glass to train for the eventual actual gem-studded gold crafts! I do really wish I could use it to make the ammo, though.

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 23, 2014

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Huh. Started a new fort, got sieged by one lone undead dwarf axeman in the first season, and two years in I've had no migrants. My civilization isn't dead, because they just rolled in with a caravan, but I sure would like a few more people. I lost a few to lava accidents. Also, I could have sworn I didn't embark near a Tower, but I've seen that one undead guy and then a human necromancer got caught in a cage. Who knows. I just want people :(

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

So I'm playing v.23 and the new priorities system seems pretty great so far. I can designate things with 7 levels of priority, which has a lot of applications - for example if I want to cut away a mountainside I can go top to bottom designating ramps and the dorfs will never cause a cave-in by cutting a lower level before an upper level. Dorfs seem to drop their current task if a higher-priority designation comes along, which is as great as you'd think it would be. Also, the trader always beelines for the depot if a trader is requested! And workshops now have a "Do it now!" feature that seems to work fairly well, from what I've noticed.

The only thing I've noticed is that dorfs don't always multitask well. I have a carpenter/woodcutter, and once he gets started on his "Make Wooden Barrel (R)" task, he doesn't like to stop it to go cut down trees. But that was a problem before the patch too.

Oh, and it took me like two games to notice, but if you designate mining, there's a little thing down at the bottom that says "Designating all" and if you switch it around you can choose to area-designate ONLY ore and gems, or even automine ore and gems! It's pretty magical.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Geeeez I'm not doing another fort before I get dfhack and prospect back. I like this fort but it's galena all the way down. That may be my fault for embarking near a volcano though, I've noticed that the same conditions that create volcanism are pretty bad for iron.

Also, I had a forgotten beast that lit people on fire. That was fun, but now it's a year later and they're still on fire. They seem ok though.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

scamtank posted:

I can't believe it.

Augmenting the dfhack github repo with df-structures actually compiled into a 40.23 compatible package. Now it's time to see how stable this thing is.

Yeah I saw someone posting about that but to be honest I don't have the programming knowhow to even deal with df-structures. If your build is somewhat stable would you mind putting it up somewhere?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I think it'd be awesome if someone did a pass on plants and trees and assigned them proper tags, not only would it make more sense but it would also lead to streamlined food/drink menus. Instead of 5 of literally every fruit ever, my herbalists could collect more of fewer types of plants. It'd also make it easier to replant them.

Hell if I'm gonna do that though

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Lu Yan posted:

edit: I would love more varied trees. And more ubiquitous hemp plants.

Even without its mind-altering properties hemp is a fantastic crop. Like kenaf and flax, it can serve many purposes in a dwarven fortress:

- It can be turned into flour, serving as a cooking ingredient
- It can be pressed into oil, serving as a great source of soap
- You can spin it into thread and make clothes, bags, whatever out of it!
- Unlike pig tails, it grows all four seasons of the year

For me hemp seeds are an essential part of any embark and I always make sure to get some growing. Combined with a good primary staple food crop (kaniwa, quinoa, etc.) you can do well with only two fields.

As an aside, if you're interested in above-ground crop growing, always check on the DF Wiki "Crops" page to make sure that whatever you grow has a green background. I've done a lot of topside farming and there seem to be some plants that just don't want to work correctly. I'm not sure if it's 100% accurate but it seems to be mostly correct.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

Is there a way to actually make oil in a way that doesn't put you at risk of accidentally consuming all your seeds for oil?

To be honest, I haven't really encountered that problem post-DF2014. I wouldn't suggest making more soap than required for the fortress, since it has such awful trade value, and with that in mind as long as you're not queueing up "press seeds" as a repeated job you should be ok. Also, as long as your fields are planted, you'll get seeds back from the plant processing and mill plants jobs, so you're unlikely to actually run out.

edit: a way to be extra-certain would be to have multiple stockpiles, only one of which feeds to the workshop.

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 7, 2015

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Jeremor posted:

I have sort of an embarassing novice question, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

What's the best way to clear out an overhanging section of soil? I like mining out a nice clean entrance for my fortresses, but it often leaves a roof of stuff hovering above everything. This offends my ADD side and I'm forced to try and remove it, and the best way I know of is to very very carefully channel it out almost 1 square or line at a time. If I do it any other way, my miners immediately dig the ground out from under themselves and cause a collapse and eventually die.

Is there a simpler way of doing this then just micromanaging it line-by-line?

I do the same thing with clean entrances, and I always use ramps. Start at the top level you want gone and turn it into ramps, and then go down, level by level, until you're at the base. At that point, remove ramps, and you'll be left with a sheer cliff above.

I also use this to create plateaus for my dwarves. If there's a larger mountain above, I shave it down using ramps until it's flat, and then shave off the sides into sheer cliffs (preferably rock so it can be smoothed, since then it can't be climbed). Then just dig up to the top and presto, a completely natural dirt-covered plateau where you can plant or pasture whatever you want.

When carving ramps, make sure you've cut down any trees in the area first, because they can cause cave-ins and other weirdness.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I've managed to successfully keep bees in the current version, just be aware that it is extremely not worth it. A colony only produces one honeycomb every nine months-ish and the honeycomb and royal jelly are both fairly low value. Harvesting the honeycomb somehow destroys the hive too. Also there's no guarantee that honeybees are on your fort location - find any natural hives (represented in ascii by a little circle) and examine them to see what lives there. Alternately, go to dfhack and type "colonies". It will tell you what lives on your map. If there aren't any honeybees on your map, well, you're hosed unless you type "colonies bees" into dfhack, which converts all colonies into honeybees.

The lesson to take from all this is that dwarves are terrible beekeepers.

Edit: I thought toady fixed the stuck beekeeper bug.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah the wiki points out that dwarves don't prefer your "to split" hives over wild colonies, so even after you get your breeding hives going dwarves will still run gaily into the wilderness to grab more bees with their bare hands.

And good point about the moveable frame hives. What we need is a dwarven research system.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Angela Christine posted:

Yes, but there is a work around. The init now has a Strict pop cap setting. You can set the strict pop cap to 50 and you absolutely will not get migrants once you reach 50, unlike the old system were you could routinely another wave or two after reaching the cap.

That means that you could set the cap to 30 (or whatever) and start the game. When everything is stable and you are ready to expand, change the cap to 50 and restart. Once you've absorbed those immigrants and are read to expand more, set the cap to 75 and restart. Etc. You'd need to reload the game each time to get it to read the new init setting, but it wouldn't be too difficult to keep a tight reign on your population if that is the only thing stopping you.

The strict pop cap is fantastic but, and I'm being an incredibly needy DF player here, I think it'd be great to have a strict migration wave cap option.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

RedTonic posted:

It's called the 1st Subterranean Exploration Brigade.

Actually, you're spot on. In my last fortress, I had a problem - I wanted to make clothes, so I tried to gather as much silk as I could from the caverns. Unfortunately, there were giant cave spiders down there, and no matter how many I killed, more would spawn. Meanwhile, dwarf casualties were mounting.

The solution turned out to be enabling the Weaving profession on all my migrants. In the depths, with endless webs to collect and giant cave spiders lurking around every corner, only the strong survive.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

On the other hand I've had that message two years (ish) in a row but the migrants never stopped coming. Sooner or later the outpost liaison came back into existence! In conclusion it is a mystery, but keep looking at the Dwarven civ (press c) to see if there's anyone besides your guys.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

scamtank posted:

Okay, my beeswax crafting reaction turned a single glob into 900 figurines. Time for some troubleshooting.

Hooray, honey is worth it now!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Easier method: search for, "prep", select as many as desired

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

DFHack is essential, unless a core part of Dwarf Fortress gameplay for you is having to restart and find a location five times because dammit you want some honeybees and there just aren't any on the map. Mouse integration is huge, and I still prefer digv to the autodig thing because autodig will happily bust right through exterior walls. There's some great commands for reducing FPS heat death, and there's some bugfixes too for stuff like stuck merchants.

Granted I love DFHack for some of its other functions as well - I blatantly cheat if a goblin siege shows up year one and I have no remorse over it at all, I like that other people play this game as an ironman restarting sim but personally I'm not interested in that. Same with ore - I normally start out with some idea of the sort of industry I'm going for, and planning for iron only to find out several hours in that there's none on the map isn't my idea of fun.

Masterwork was great too, and I hope Meph gets the DF2014 Masterwork build up and running. Some of the quality of life functionality was incredible. Who wouldn't want a single job for "make a full set of silk clothing?"

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Can't you set "evil cloud" and "evil rain" types to 0 in the worldgen ini? I thought that's what those were there for.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Biomes make for some pretty interesting decisions. I normally avoid the purple unless I'm looking for Fun, but the savagery of an area can vary wildly and I normally go for more savage embarks because I think overall they tend to be more interesting, and arguably easier. The downside of savage areas is that more varied and dangerous wildlife spawns, but that can also mean you just get more stuff to hunt. Giant animals can be murder machines, but think of all the bones! And a lot of them lose a lot of their threat once you get some good armor on your dwarves. Most giant animals can be trained, so once you get some cage traps you can start an egg farm. A giant cockatiel egg farm. The real problem is that savage areas spawn humanoid enemies (running the gamut from aardvark man to wren man) and while they don't tend to be much more than a nuisance, you also can't butcher them.

On the upside, highwood shows up in savage areas, and it produces hell of wood compared to basically any other tree. Also, and I didn't know this, apparently whip vines only spawn in savage areas.

This may just be me, but if my fortress has to get killed off, I'd prefer it to be to a swarm of giant cockatiels. So don't be scared of savage embarks. After all, what could go wrong?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

scamtank posted:

Unless you're rolling at least 20x20 pixel tiles on a full screen, any sort of spritework is going to be a smudge that you have to squint at for 15 seconds to tell what exactly it is.

It's a good thing that dwarf fortress, or at least dfhack and twbt, allows you to scroll in and out as necessary using the mouse wheel. I've never had a problem with what you're talking about.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

packetmantis posted:

I love it when my DF looks like I've left it out in the sun for a week.

The high contrast is really nice though, sometimes it can be tough to pinpoint the location of that one drat giant cockatiel in your furniture stockpile since it's the same exact contrast as everything else. You end up having to press "v" and scroll around until you see something blinking. A tileset that provides easy identification of living creatures and important features could be pretty good.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

And let's not forget "everyone's a mason day"

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

I really should get a cheesemaker going on all that milk I've got, yeah. But seriously, I know I need at least a couple farmers, carpenters, masons/miners, cooks, brewers, and... what else?

Also, I've got a dwarf smoothing out all the stone on what will be my first bedroom level, but he's taking forever at it. Am I ok to begin building beds and doors and poo poo in there while he's working, or will that interrupt him?

I mean really food and drink are the big things, but you should also think of it in terms of industries that you want to go for. You probably want an industry for furniture and structures (wood, stone, glass, or metal), a clothing industry (leather, silk or plant), a valuables industry (stonecrafting, metalcrafting, bonecrafting, encrusting). Defense industry, in the form of traps and weapons.

Also this is only my technique, but when it comes to stone detailing, I normally wait until I can grab two or three dwarves at once. I like having more than one engraver, and that way they all hit legendary at about the same time, so you don't have one legendary and two novice engravers making engravings of wildly varying quality.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Really hard to find a site when the entire world's ocean is evil and that awful shade of orange. My eyes refuse to focus on the screen. Thanks, The Suicidal Water!

I just wanted a savage good tropical moist broadleaf forest with some metals and unicorns, is that so much to ask?

Edit: and speaking of evil, I'm having a lot of trouble generating worlds with any evil and good biomes. are they more rare than they used to be, or am I doing it wrong? Is there anything I can tinker with in worldgen?

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 25, 2015

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ye olde wiki claims that most garden plants have been fixed and should work now. I distrust the wiki, but I'll at least give it a shot and report back. Then again apparently most of you are scared of the outdoors anyway :v:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Well, shoot. You think you've found the perfect embark, and that's when the dwarf blood starts raining from the skies and you realize it can get even better.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The chain of events went something like this: I embarked on a terrifying glacier, I forgot to get rid of my starting animals so I butchered the mule and horse, then the hair (and ONLY the hair) of the dead animals animated, my furnace operator started fighting one and got an artery opened and bled out.

The moral of the story: fun comes to those who ask for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Maybe Toady can incorporate neck armor. I just had a forbidden beast stop by and kill about twenty guys with "bit in the neck... severed part flies off in an arc!" Didn't even bother biting any other parts of my dwarves. Straight to the neckmeat.

Oh well, my population was too high anyway.