Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Yay a new thread! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Caufman posted:

Adventure mode is totally underappreciated. It has the best combat of any roguelike I've played, and I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention.

Its amusing but if you actually think it has the best combat in any roguelike I suggest you try sil or something.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Has anyone come up with a strategy to cope with climbing invaders yet? I forget the details of how it works. :(

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

All I really have to say at this point.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Routing your sewage into the underground should piss of the animal people living there and any deep sites 'downstream'.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm so giddy. :3:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I think I made an animal rights activist.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Fuligin posted:

I came upon an encampment of sleeping goblins. Easily, I went from each to each, taking their heads as trophies. I bashed in the throat of their leader and watched him suffocate. When one awoke he ran screaming and calling for help from his comrades, helpless to stop me as I killed the rest. Finally, as I slowly approached him he tried to climb a tree. I slashed him open from behind and pulled him down by yanking on his intestines.

Release owns.

Wait what? :stare:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Too bad it's too long to be a thread title.

How about Dwarf fortress: Yanking goblins by their intestines for fun and profit?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

super fart shooter posted:

Also, under silk I see screaming mouths cloth, molten liquid cloth, shadow stuff cloth, coyote demon cloth, pterosaur demon silk, and "rabbit fiend silk cloth" :catstare:

Time to colonize hell?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Is she a vampire?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

0lives posted:

Has anyone tried cutting down a tree in front of an elf? I wonder if they would break down into tears.

I hope they make this face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7OHG7tHrNM

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Laputanmachine posted:

Has anyone tried to grow some Cannabis Sativa? Can you make food out of it?

Please tell me you can get your Dwarves high.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

LowellDND posted:

Ive never played before, can I just install and start playing Adventure mode? Or should I watch a thousand youtube videos first?

Adventure is Hilarious right now so you might as well jump.
I would wait on starting fortress mode though.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:stonk:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So did anyone get hit by dwarven raiders/bandits yet or did I just find something new?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Well, presumably, the world activation means that invaders will actually draw from members of neighboring civs.

So if the goblins near you have a bunch of integrated dwarves, you will probably get dwarves coming on goblin raids.

Yeah after I posted I realized that they were probably integrated dwarves.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Guess daddy kicked the bucket?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

Does that mean you can demoralize invaders by routing them through the bonehoard? Because hell yes.

Load up a minecart shotgun with corpses. :getin:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

WhenInRome posted:

I'm trying to play Masterwork, but whenever I try to gen a world it crashes to desktop. Is there a way to fix this?

It hasn't been updated for the new version yet.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Kennel posted:

[ORIENTATION_SHEEP]
:getin:

I think modding in the Welsh might be a bit beyond df atm. :v:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nice twerk titan you got there.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

I founded a fort for a dwarf civ that lost its last site 140 years before.

Are all the migrants I'm getting spawning from the ether or are they random dwarves living in human\elf\gobbo kingdoms coming to live in a dwarf society?

How many waves did you get?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anyone else getting massive lag while visiting dark fortresses?

Dungeon Ecology posted:

What sort of build do you guys usually use for your starting caravan? I like to start like so:

1) Miner 1: 5 points Miner, 4 points Engraver, 1 point Bookkeeper
2) Miner 2: 5 points Miner, 3 points Gem Cutter, 2 points Gem Setter
3) Farmer: 5 points Grower, 3 points Cook, 2 points Brewer
4) Woodcutter: 5 points Wood Cutter, 4 points Carpenter, 1 point Woodworker
5) Mason: 5 points Mason, 2 points Building Designer, 3 points Stone Crafter
6) Metalsmith: 3 Metalsmith, 3 Weaponsmith, 3 Armorsmith, 1 Furnace Operator
7) Trader/Doctor: 2 Persuader, 2 Negotiator, 4 Appraiser, 1 Wound Dresser, 1 Diagnostician

I usually keep the starting inventory, except I drop my bucket, crutch, rope, axe, and wheelbarrow count down to 1. Additionally, I like to buy 1 cat to keep vermin out and 2 dogs to start breeding, and eventually train war dogs.

Anything you guys like to do differently?

Well first I like to use dfhack to give myself about 20 dwarves to start with and a bit more embark with but if I'm playing vanilla df I usually start something like this.
1: Miner 5 points and nothing else, turn off hauling immediately on embark.
2: Woodcutter/carpenter 4 points woodcutter 5 points carpenter 1 point bowyer/animal trainer
3: Mason: basically what you did but one more point stone crafter
4: Farmer 1 5 points grower 5 points brewer
5: farmer 2 3 points grower 3 points cook 4 to whatever
6: crafter/manager 8 points to whatever mix of crafting skills 1 to organizer and record keeper each
7: expedition leader 1 judge of intent 1 appraiser 1 social trade skill seven to whatever usually mechanics or something else that can be easily canceled when the caravans come.

Then I go for alot of animals especially dogs and either a grazer, a few pigs or a bunch of fowl and I always make sure I bring along some coke and coal to get my metal industry started as well as plenty of seeds.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 16, 2014

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Humans Among Us posted:

Is there a quick way to locate an underground water source or do i just need to dig all over the map at random?

As scamtank said look for the caverns but be very careful about drawing water from them since the water might have nasties around it.
My suggestion would be to build a well above it since it will reach all the way down to the lake.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

You know the minute Toady adds capturing people and healing skills in adventure mode, people will just go to the nearest kobolds camp, capture everyone and spend their time stabbing then healing them endlessly just for skill.

Reminds me of carving up a dude with an one hander and using the healing hands spell in skyrim to level up both skills at once.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

nutranurse posted:

The moment Toady adds in any kind of mechanic where you can have ownership over other sentient creatures the DF mod forums are gonna get real ugly real fast.

Does anyone remember how masterwork had pet concubines a while ago that would produce babies for you and that you could butcher as well?
Yeah well imagine stuff like that but with an actual slavery mechanic. :iit:
^ wait are there black skinned dwarves?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Are magma pipes still a thing? It would be nice to get a useful source of magma without having to embark on a volcano.

Yes sometimes you can even find them in the first cavern!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Humans Among Us posted:

Do i just need to have these in my fort somewhere or do i have to bring the materials to the craftshop somehow?

Did you have any metal ingots?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mu. posted:

Transforming your military from the greenest of green baby retard recruits to a legitimate fighting force is hilarious now. Watching my lone idiot crossbowdwarf, likely the first dwarf in the world to ever contemplate killing, become instantly terror-stricken the moment he fires one wooden bolt into a family of thrips men (who themselves instantly begin crying and vomiting and bemoaning the fragility of life as the bolt hurtles toward them) is goddamn hysterical.

He's chasing them down the hillside now and they're retching and puking as he bashes their heads in with his wooden crossbow and he's crying as they call for help and he is merciless and it was inevitable and it is terrifying.

I want to goldmine this post.

Also on the same topic I have this dwarf skull floating above my entrance for some reason and every so often one of my dwarves looks up when they go inside and freeze in terror as they see the spooky hammerdwarf skull. This hilariously includes most of my military who proceed to piss themselves in terror esxcept for the guys who actually have kills to their name. :thumbsup:

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 19, 2014

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

TheRamblingSoul posted:

To be fair, if I saw the skull of a bro randomly hanging in the air, I'd probably poo poo myself too.

The rest of his body was gone as well so he came back as a ghost so maybe they think the skull is still haunted.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mu. posted:

This is new to me.

They really need to tag dwarves with a prince of 'x' if they are in direct line with the throne; I mean its just primogeniture right?
Also Mu did your dwarves ever stop being quivering pansies?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So will the reenabled elven diplomat/liaison allow us to order things from the elves?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

LeJackal posted:

I forgot that jumping and climbing were both implemented in this latest release. That is how my fortress died.

So who jumped in? :v:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Can kobold's ambush on their own now or do they have to always steal something?
Because I never saw a kobold thief but now I have some kobolds camping somewhere in the NE of my map.

edit: new devlog :woop:

quote:

A crash that could occur when looking at the adventure mode log while traveling was handled, and another strange crash involving pressing v-p on armed dwarves in the arena was also handled (it was looking for non-present fort info). Animal people and giant animals had a frequency rewrite (thanks to ab9rf for looking at that closely). Quietust had found a few other problems (mid-level maps could be regenerated in an inconsistent fashion causing world gen to drift from the seed, law dwarf did not complain about lack of chains/cages properly) and those are fixed now. Running some extra tests in the hopes of catching any trouble that might have slipped through the bug-fixing party, and this version'll probably see the sun outside its cave tomorrow.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 27, 2014

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

PassingPie posted:

Based on this it looks like sheep can't be beat. They require very little grass and supply you with milk, cheese, wool, and the usual meat/leather/bones when butchered.

No wonder my yaks are always beating the crap out of each other, I guess they're fighting over the last blades of grass in their pasture. :(

Llamas are also pretty good too as you get more meat from them but they still take way less grass than cattle.

Indecisive posted:

12x12 pasture for 1 mule? lol gently caress grazers, kill em all for meats

Unironically the most realistic part of dwarf fortress agriculture since plump helmets are so incredibly efficient. :v:

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 27, 2014

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Boing posted:

I don't think you get adventure mode. Or roguelikes.

Don't tell him about ADOM or his brain might explode.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Spoggerific posted:

I decided to start a new fortress for 40.05 with a new design philosophy, since I felt like my old forts were all boring and same-y in design. I found a great place with a sedimentary flux layer, river, and sand. After embark, I spend probably 15 minutes before unpausing, planning out the fortress and putting down some preliminary designations. I also spent a significant amount of time making custom stockpiles instead of just piling everything into one big room and then putting all of my workshops directly below it. Everything's going well, and I'm pleased with my new fortress until I hit fall, and I get the message about there being no outpost liaison. Turns out the default dwarf civilization choice for that world was apparently the only dead dwarf civ in the entire world. I spent over an hour planning out and building a large, thought-out fortress for a place that will never get more than the original seven. :smith:

So I decided to embark somewhere else. One good candidate has salt water. The wiki mentions that salt water collected from a well will be drinkable and given to sick dwarves. Is this true? I could also dig out and line a cistern with constructions, then purify it with a screw pump, but if I only need to build a well over a normal cistern...

Just dig down to the caverns and hope you get a lake.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ambaire posted:

What's the secret to getting coal/lignite to generate though? The profile I've been using is all forest so I tried adding swamps but that didn't help any. I know it only generates in sedimentary rock, but how do you get it? Do you need an ocean? I found the perfect volcano river embark, but without coal, it's useless for me.

You don't need coal for steel and you can generally find at least a few layers of marble almost anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Praise rivers.

Remove Goblin.

Praise rivers.

Also I found this when I first tried to do a fort.

So not only am I going to face goblin attack (at war) I'm also going to deal with a titan attack as well?

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 1, 2014