Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Locus posted:

Tell me honest: Is my human outsider screwed? Drowsy, purple "THIRSTY", no waterskin, eating snow doesn't actually quench thirst even though that is possible IRL, I can get a bucket full of ice from the bottom of a well, but I can't TAKE the ice, or the bucket, or melt it in a campfire next to me.

*edit* I know I can kill someone/some tame animal and drink their blood, and I'm starting considering the latter, but my guy is too honorable for the former.

If there's any habitation nearby, you might be able to take a bag. If you fill the bag with snow, you should be able to melt it by heating the bag (with 'I') at a campfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

You used to be able to slake your thirst by drinking the water covering off yourself after hopping in a pond or getting rained on, but it looks like that's been nerfed.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

So regarding moods: I have a dwarf that just claimed a mason shop and mutters about needing stone, rough gems, and cloth.

I have tons of stone and rough gems lying around from mining everywhere and several bins full of pigtail cloth but he won't budge. Is it possible that he needs a specific kind of stone, gem, and cloth that I may or may not even have in my entire fort? And if so, I just need to mine randomly hoping that I find the right one? That would seem pretty unreasonable.

Do you have any silk cloth? I'm not sure if its changed ever, but plant fiber and silk cloth used to be counted separately for mood purposes.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Note: if you jump over a river with alligators in it, they can make attacks against you while you're in midair. Hell yeah.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Shadowlz posted:

Has he even acknowledged the aggression(terror) issue yet? Maybe it's intended. Part of his grand vision.

Morale issues are on the tracker and haven't been closed as 'working as intended'.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Verviticus posted:

i frequently get 'uneasy', surrounded by humans or groups of varying races, and then they just stand near me and chill.

From the devlog it sounds like at least this bit might be fixed for next time.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

I hope Toady fixes the bug where zombies will attack their necromancer masters soon. I found one in a mead hall and got him to join me, but as soon as we killed some dingoes he resurrected them all and they tore us apart.

(I realize I'm probably not supposed to be able to recruit necromancers to begin with)

I didn't even recruit any necromancers, but after I blundered into a tower (and got murdered by zombies) I checked the Legends and a bunch of the zombies had turned on their necromancers. There must have been at least one necromancer that survived the brawl, because the legend of every dead necromancer ended with them getting revived as a zombie.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Quick question: What do the "Indiv Eq" and "Squad Eq" options do under Barracks options? I know that I have to go into Alerts under Military to turn a squad on to Active Duty, but I'm not sure what those options do...

I'm pretty sure those are for storing equipment and also don't actually do anything. They might have been related to the Arsenal Dwarf, who is not missed.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

dragon_pamcake posted:

God, I wish. This would be an awesome case of FUN.

Is there a way to mod the raws so wooden/coal constructions ARE flammable?

No. I believe it's a fundamental bit of the way constructions work. Maybe the DFHack wizards can do something about inviolability of constructed walls and floors, but it's not a raws thing.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I think you can mass forbid all webs from the stocks screen and then use the reclaim designation on the webs you might actually want.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Pretty sure migrant waves are hosed. I'm not even getting the hardcoded initial 2 waves.

Did you copy the init from a pre 40.05 version? 40.05 introduced a strict population cap in the init, and if it isn't in there it is treated as 0.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Yeah I did. From d_init.txt "[POPULATION_CAP:100]"

40.05 introduced [STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:n], which is an absolute limit on the number of dwarves. If it's not in d_init it defaults to 0.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

That one should be fine to change in an active fort.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Forgotten beasts made out of random crap can sometimes be pushovers. Coral does not seem to be one of the things that makes them a pushover. I found The Mucous Shaft, a coral quadruped (whose deadly gas seems to have failed him) squatting in the ruins of my old fort (which he never even got inside, it was a Giant Cave Spider who wound up murdering everyone) and it took quite a long time of beating him in the neck with a warhammer before it shattered. From the time when it was skulking in the caves I knew that it had a pretty deadly kick, as it managed to stomp several local animals into gore with a single blow. Wasn't really expecting the adventurer to get lucky long enough to get the last blow in. Now I need to make sure to keep them alive to retire somewhere else, and carry with them the masterpieces of the old fort.

e: Also found two merchants and a wagon chilling in the caves, which is weird.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 1, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

My opinion on beasts made of mist is that dwarves are very susceptible to thinking that clouds look like things.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Angela Christine posted:

Oh no! I glance back and blue ! everywhere, what has happened?

There is no report of anyone throwing the chair, as near as I can tell while going up a ramp someone dropped a chair? And it hit this lady and squished her baby. :smith:

I had a couple random reports of people getting hit with beds on a ramp. No injuries in my case, but no idea what caused it.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Started a new fortress in a jungle where it rains elf blood. A bunch of the starting seven got a "had a nice bath recently" thought from the blood rain.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Call me Ishmael Urist

Is there a way to hunt beasts from the sea? I was thinking crossbows/ballistas might allow me to do a good port town with real whaling action.

I can't remember if ballista bolts drop down from their initial z-level, and even if you killed a whale its corpse would be out there in the ocean. Even if you trained swimming by repeatedly dunking dwarves into 4/7 water, I don't know if they'd path out to any waterbound corpses and drag them back.

What you need to do is be in a place where the ocean freezes during the winter and build some dams to create an area you can seal off while the sea creatures are in it, then pump the water out to air-drown whatever is in the trap.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I'm trying to regenerate a world I like with a different history. I understand I have to use advanced world generation, but what do I actually DO? How do I find the seed that the world was originally generated from?

If you exported the world generation info after generating the world, ignore this step. Otherwise go to legends mode (you might need to copy your save and abandon any in-progress game) and hit 'p' to 'export map/gen info'. Next, go to the 'regionN-world_gen_param.txt' in the df main folder and copy/paste everything to the end of 'world_gen.txt' in data/init. Then go to the advanced world gen, select the last option on the list, hit 'e' for 'Enter advanced parameters', and change 'Use History Seed' from 'Yes' to 'Random'.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 9, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Here's a weird one: had a baron, a general, and the king show up as merchants with the caravan.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Angela Christine posted:

Set Mineral Scarcity to 500-1000 so you will have lots of minerals for your first game. You are no longer guaranteed to find every metal in every site. If minerals are set too low it is possible that no one in the entire world will have iron.

Just want to emphasize that this parameter operates backwards of how someone might assume as the higher it is, the more scarce minerals are. Higher numbers = less minerals.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Tunicate posted:

I got shown this 1 pixel wide font sample in the pixel art thread

And I'm really curious how DF would look. Any advice on how to set up a custom font?

Tilesets are 16 tiles x 16 tiles, here's a full list of every character, it's place in the tileset, and what it's used for.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Shuffle posted:

I captured 2 cave dragons yesterday, the wiki says they don't breed, is it possible to mod he raws to allow this? If so how would I go about doing this I'm completely new at his.

is it also possible to mod in a recipe to the jeweler's workshop to cut every gem instead of having to go through and selecting each type?

That page is out of date, the game now allows thing without the child token to breed.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

So retiring and unretiring a site will leave most things in place, but it will shuffle around a few objects. Weirdly enough even built objects, because I had to restock the mayor's room with cabinets after unretiring. What also got shuffled around was the forgotten beast that was previously safely sealed in the first caverns and was now on the surface eating all the random merchants that had decided to hang around, including one of my civ's barons. It bit off on of my guy's arms, but otherwise didn't damage anything important and as soon as they drag its corpse to the pile we'll be eating giant turquoise beetle steaks for years. As with every important thing my military kills, it gets an engraved slab stuck in the barracks.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Possibly A Ghost posted:

Hey, does a vampire seeing the corpses of the people he's drained count towards the "death doesn't phase him" (or w/e) trait? If not do they just piss their pants with fear every time they kill somebody, or ignore the body completely, or...?

The vampire example raws don't give the [NOFEAR] token so perhaps vampires will freak out after their first couple kills. They'd presumably harden up after a couple corpses. I don't know if they'd get any discipline from the dozens or hundreds they've probably drank in world gen before immigrating.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

"Hykiv Wavelake the Tail of Suns was a sand titan [...] An enormous blob composed of water."

You think you found an oasis in the desert? Nope, motherfucking sand titan.

My new mission in this world is to track down Hykiv and just watch it to see if it will evaporate on its own.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Did it happen on or near a ramp? For some reason ramps seem to generate weird accidents like people getting smashed by hauled furniture. I've seen it in adventure mode when a bunch of goblin civilians try to run down a ramp away from me. Some of them wind up mysteriously airborne.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

A White Guy posted:

Also, an FB just showed up made of Basalt. Welp, definitely not going in the cavern anymore.

Put together a special squad of pick-wielding ex-miners. Rocks that are trying to kill you can't be that much trickier than normal rocks, right?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Shuffle posted:

is there a reason I'm still getting mass migrations of dwarven children even though my [BABY_CHILD_CAP] is set to 5:5? Of my total 92 dwarves atm 35 are children.

I'm using the 40.08 r3 starter pack

That only prevents pregnancies. It's a shame.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I vaguely recall that the artifact accuracy bonus doesn't apply to ranged attacks, so it may in fact serve better as a bludgeon than a crossbow.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

None of the quality of life improvements in dfhack or other utilities has swayed me from my stodgy grognard gitoffmalawn attitude, but that and multilevel rendering are darn tempting.

Prop Wash posted:

Huh, even the logs aren't really giving me any more information. A completely uninteresting Shearer went from alive to dead in the space of the two adjacent lines
"Sazir Tunomdomas, Shearer cancels Clean Self: Resting injury.
Sazir Tunomdomas, Shearer has been found dead."

It looks like a handful of dwarves just dropped dead. I looked back through the logs and there's no combat or injuries that might have led to it.

Any titans or forgotten beasts go leaving their dust or ichor around?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

reading posted:

What do all the symbols (C, H, S) on the left vertical mean? Cavern, HFS, "S"...?

Combat/Hunting/Sparring. They're the combat report notifications.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Can't you just enable the elf diplomat and then tell him you want them to bring animals and such?

Easiest way imo. I *think* the latest version even has it enabled by default now but now sure. Either way it's a quick edit in the raws.

The diplomat doesn't handle trade agreements. I believe you'd have to add [RESPONSIBILITY:ESTABLISH_COLONY_TRADE_AGREEMENTS] to the diplomat and regen the world.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

According to the wiki it's items with wood, clear/crystal glass, or soap. They used to hate animal products too but got over that at roughly the time they started eating people.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Also you can't sell back to them the wood objects they previously sold to you. They're tainted or something.

Does that still apply now that the elves have "grown" wood items? I never tested it but assumed they might accept grown objects.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Dashticle posted:

Are the civilisations you can see in the Civs screen in Fortress mode literally the only civilisations in the entire world/that can reach you? Year 4 and I only had a single gobbo siege show up first year (they left after one lost his head on a weapon trap outside). No gobbo thieves either. There are only the dwarves, one human and one elf civ showing on my screen. I'm just worried about building a big elaborate goblin disposal chamber that will go unused forever.

On the other hand the goblins have wormed their way all into the mountainhomes, my outpost liaison among other dignitaries in my civ are goblins...

Things only show up on the Civ screen after you've encountered them. If goblins came and there's no goblin civ in the list, I think they were bandits.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Glad to hear that the necro towers are getting trimmed back.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I was trying to look up if silver barbs were still in the game what with all the new plants in preparation of maybe trying a fortress based entirely around creating black cloth, and discovered that they're actually sliver barbs. I've been reading it wrong for the past six years.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Crimson Harvest posted:

How did this happen??

"How did you find the fish, sir?"
"Well I just lifted up the quarry bush leaf and there it was."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

You can make completely new ones. I believe they always start with the filename and [OBJECT:X] so the game can tell what's up.