Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

scamtank posted:

It's always two months in the making.

It's like 1984 in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Helical Nightmares posted:

Wait a minute. "God guards"?

Does this refers to the adventure mode overhall where new entities can take over civilizations (or like a vampire/demon posing as a god and taking over a kingdom)?

Or is this something else?

In the FoF thread he mentioned that he added heaven. Well, heavens--Olympus and Elysium kinds of places up in the sky.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Elth posted:

How is genocide less mean than incarceration? :psydwarf:

Took us 13 pages to find a suitable subtitle.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Splode posted:

The dwarves removed the title and nobody has been selected as a replacement.

Is that what also happened to the subtitle for this thread?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

I thought she would have had a higher-pitched voice.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Only if she was tiny. Only in cartoons do larger-than-human sized creatures have high pitched voices.

Uh, whales?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Baloogan posted:

vaporware fortress

It's been so long since I saw the screenshots of multi-tile trees that I feel like I've actually played that version.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
THE NEW VERSION OF DWARF FORTRESS IS OUT

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100851.msg5326971

Sorry, what I meant was, there's a new Future of the Fortress post.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

canepazzo posted:

Speaking of ascii, that guy that came up with the dfhack plugin for separating tiles and text? He went one furhter and is showcasing multi-level rendering:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138754.105

Oooooooo. Like Scamtank said, this was a proof of concept from a long while back, and it looks just as good as everyone thought it would. Given that there's a precedent of folding in display stuff (the SDL code) back into actual DF, maybe this will find its way out of DFHack and into DFACTUAL.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

Aaaaand true to Toady style, a new release right out of the blue, raise your hand if you saw it coming:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_38_01_win.zip

Nobody's going to believe you when you finally post the real release.

Instead we're going to let the wolves eat you.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Oh look, I'm Bad Munki, hey the new version of Dwarf Fortress was released! Ohhh, just kidding, bitches!!! LOLSASAURUS just a devlog!!!

Devlog posted:

The truck is still trucking... I should keep doing this dev log thing though. So yeah, what did I play with... pets vs. fort retirement, alarmed bystander tests, all sorts of brokenness with how guards are allocated and shuffled around during site (un)realization, more date checking and am-I-outmoded checking for rumors (though some of them still seem to linger), and a whole ton of data entry for gait stuff. We continue to be on track.

"The truck is still trucking"? I think he may finally be coming unravelled.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Baloogan posted:

I can't believe how excited I am even though I know the confirmed new feature list is sparse. 2 years of dev should be very noticeable!

I think people are underestimating how radically the living world is going to change the experience of the game.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

Well I guess today is your lucky day then, isn't it!

:v:

"And so you see, your honor, he had to be stopped."

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Babe Magnet posted:

Of course, it all makes sense now.

We must kill Tarn Adams.

And then the source code gets released. Twofer.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

Not gonna lie, that was my plan, but I got a little too used to the forums being down and forgot to f5 for a couple hours. :(

Here's the mirror for the download. Get to LPing.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Why is Scamtank always insulting us?

Also, devlog you miserable worms:

quote:

It was an army truck for the last while, and a food truck today. Just about everything that could go wrong with invasions in dwarf mode did, but I think it is sorted out now. Even the grizzly bears the elves ride come from actual populations now, so make every axe-chop and drowning count and you won't have to deal with that particular site's denizens for a good long while. I put in hopefully-good-enough init file caps for the burgeoning number of seeds, with some periodic handling, and I think I sorted out all of the mess that was happening with brewing jobs (which weren't working, or were producing non-specific seeds, or whatever else). I'm going to do some overdue optimizations tomorrow, and then we'll be titrating in some final bug fixes until the release suddenly appears.

There is apparently a less coherent and perhaps more morally bankrupt (I don't remember) recording of after-interview sound from the Red Pages Podcast (Extrasode 2).

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Whoops, wrong thread, though a nice Battletech mod of DF would be awesome.

TildeATH fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 4, 2014

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

But then how will you know it's out?! :confused:

He's obviously some kind of arch-conservative who never wants anyone to play the new version of anything. Wants us all to play 2D, I would guess.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
There he goes, ruining all the best features. Oh, it's a devlog. You know how to make a devlog, don't you? You just put your lips together and... blow.

Devlog Stone posted:

Change one line and the world erupts in no-quarter knife fights apparently... hopefully we've emerged from that.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

New version is out, definitely check it out: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

How'd you do that?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

SharkAKALegitShark posted:

...and you get to brag to people about being more hardcore than them.

Often as much fun as the actual game.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

GorfZaplen posted:

I have no loving idea where I am and I'm out of food.

Also a good thread title.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

scamtank posted:

:frogsiren:

e: oh jesus gently caress

You're getting slow. You saw what we did to Munki when he slowed down... He used to be a poet, you know?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

GorfZaplen posted:

This world I generated has a kobold hamlet. :stare:

Is it actually a little generated kobold town or is that just a name for one of their filthy caves? Because if it's the former, then the sheer cuteness might overwhelm 4Chan's ability to post hentai for at least an hour.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

GorfZaplen posted:

The humans were all conquered many years earlier and all of the sudden a couple of kobolds settled there.

I need screenshots. You need to interview these kobolds.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Internet Kraken posted:

Its like these creatures just decided to stop flying and fell to their death.

It was inevitable.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I have to ask about this meatgod thing. It sounds horrible, and I am curious.

It's a mod for dwarfs with penises and rape.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

All I can think when I look at the guy on the far right is :iit:.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

AXE COP posted:

I've run across a few mummies but they didn't curse me, just summon dozens of skeletons and then kick the poo poo out of me.

That sounds kind of like a curse.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Toplowtech posted:

You were lucky. *Killed the day they arrived, by an ambush of crossbowgoblins*

You were lucky. *Walled into a tomb as a child by a jealous overseer*

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Michaellaneous posted:

Restarting over and over does not sound really fun, nor like a succession.

That's because you're thinking it's fortress mode but instead of one year with an overseer you get one life with an adventurer or some other arbitrary thing.

The best way a 2014 DF LP could go is if each successive player got 7 days of real time to do whatever the hell they wanted in the shared world. If they want to create a series of forts to make the Great Wall of Dwarfdom, then that's fine. If they want to found a fort and play classic overseer, that's fine, and if they want to reclaim a previous player's fort, that's fine.

And if they want to spend their week adventuring and dying to sponges over and over again, I bet that would make a good turn, too.

And the added benefit is that if the turns are in real time instead of dwarf time, then we don't run into the plague of all DF LPs: turns that consist of weeks of nothing but posts by the current player apologizing for not having the time to finish their turn.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Danny Glands posted:

For those wondering then the .40 LP is gonna be, be patient. I'll start it when I feel the version is stable enough.

Oh, you're going to do that, too? How many is that, like seven .40 DF LPs at once?

Mine will be the best. It'll feature Grey Hunter and Bad Munki taking alternate turns to reenact the entire first three seasons of DF Gladiator Challenge thread...

...in Spanish!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Still takes 2 actual real world weeks to generate 2 weeks of game history for anything but a pocket world, so it's not quite there yet.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Just a pinch, otherwise you might drown the quarry bush leaf.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Angela Christine posted:

Maybe the demons are just trying to save us from mesothelioma.

Just when I thought it was impossible for this game to get any weirder.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

StrangeAeon posted:

Note to self: all the archers in the world cannot defend against a surprise weremammoth.

Weremammoth? Legitimately cool.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Dreggon posted:

what the gently caress kind of loving meeting you loving rear end in a top hat dwarf

This is the best DF LP in years.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I wonder why there's all those dead pets in Urist's cabinet?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

This guineacock is completely rotten. He walks around spreading miasma everywhere he goes. He doesn't attack anybody, he just stinks up the joint.

What in the Hell caused that?

Lack of magma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Was going to post something about how animal breeding, geldings/wethers/oxen and so on are actually really important parts of fantasy world-building, and that it doesn't have to be about 3rd grade dick humor and how I'm sure only a minority can't help themselves when they see a game that doesn't ignore how reproduction actually works...

megane posted:

This is a dwarf leather Cock.

Slime posted:

cut dick from corpse

Shibawanko posted:

... and the severed part sails off in an arc...

king salmon posted:

Isn't it already really easy to mod in penises if you are so inclined?

Oh, right, now I know why ignoring this topic was always the right move.