Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

NewMars posted:

The best thing about it though, is the nightmare mode option which puts you in a crazy dystopian nightmare state at the start, with death squads with ridiculous judge-dredd esque uniforms, Fahrenheit 451 firemen who burn down your safehouses if you have a newspaper, crazy genetic experiments in the labs (that you can recruit) and mutants swamping the juice bars and co-ops (that are either completely poo poo or have ridiculously high stats).

Your post made me download LCS and now I'm totally loving hooked on the nightmare mode. Help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

PublicOpinion posted:

Yes, you can.

Wouldn't you have to craft a ladder?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lowen posted:

Building constructions is a skilless labor now, so you can put all those useless idlers to use, get rid of all those rocks, and put smooth(ish) flooring in your fortress in one move.

It would be nice if you could pick which jobs are skilless from a menu in the game. That way I can put all the lazy bums on floor smoothing and turn it off later when I have a few skilled engravers. Or just put smooth floors on the skilless job set permanently and keep engraving for engravers.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Can you make trapdoors that open when enemy units step on them yet? Or cover a hole with twigs? I always wanted to use holes with spikes as regular traps and not lever activated poo poo but I could never make it work. I want to drop goblins into an underground horror zoo filled with monsters and their impaled kin.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Toady is a goddamn treasure.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

scamtank posted:

Oh, it's summer again.

:coolspot:

Yeah I throw Toady $4 on Patreon every month. It's a pittance but with so many people doing it I feel like I'm helping :3:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Does that mean I can change history in the game world by creating an adventurer in year 1, writing a bunch of books about the evil elves and retire, then watch all the races kill the elves when I resume world gen?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

That fight was pretty funny. The Werezebra started by ripping a fisherdwarf to pieces, as is their wont, but ended the fight holding a -felt cap- in one hand and a +dwarven silk sock+ sock in the other. When my steel clad swordsdwarf squad got there he just started slapping them with his shreds of cloth while they hacked/nibbled him to death.

Biter is still infected though. Probably.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

just restrict the workshop to only take items from a specific stockpile

then make the stockpile only stock itself with the golden merkins you want to encrust

And make that stockpile pull from the general stockpile as a priority.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Yeah, Adamantine is actually about as heavy as styrofoam as defined in the raws, but holds a wicked edge and is basically unbreakable.

Incidentally, you DO want to give an adamantium hammer to your Hammerer: They'll love it for the value of the material but any hammerings (I.E corporal punishments) they have to perform will be as effective as a wiffle bat.

I don't believe in unbroken bones. My hammerer gets a wooden mallet. It's usually not enough to kill but it'll leave bruises, broken bones and valuable lessons.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wonderslug posted:

The real fun is when a necromancer (or three) stealth infiltrates your fort and finds your bone/shell stockpile. Cue screaming dwarves running from a swarm of vengeance-seeking oyster shells, which I imagine hop around like those novelty wind-up teeth.

Game should really modify bravery against mob size so that any old cook can just walk over and squish the animated tongues under his boots.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

My hot tip is to disable aquifers because they are never fun.

Aquifers is that thing where I do a :doh: every time I install a new version of DF and I found the perfect embark except for that drat blue tag. Then I mod the raws and the next world is never as good :(

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sperglord Firecock posted:

If this ends up being a thing, you need to be able to engrave individual teeth with different scenes.
Not to mention blunt or sharp/pointy teeth versions. Teeth made from sharpened steel are a hit with soldiers and courtesans.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Blunts are almost always superior since they can also bypass heavy armor to some extent. Plus they make combat reports more fun.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

By far the best thing about Masterwork is that it condenses all the rat, bat, dog and cow leathers into just "leather" with a few grades depending on the beasts rarity. Is there another mod that does this with the latest version?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Crimson Harvest posted:

Is it still a decent strat to dig down to the cavern layers and build there first?

It's risky depending on the enemies. But it's still my preferred build to have my main fort focused on the first cavern layer with cave openness cranked to mass and minimum cave water around the 25 mark.

I just wish underground rivers were more common.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Pickled Tink posted:

You can build surface buildings in the caverns too, with the added benefit of being able to have below ground digging both above and below them.

I prefer the third cavern layer for my own home if I do it. That way I have nice and easy access to magma.

You always have easy access to magma. Most of the time a straight stairway to the magma layer is actually shorter than the trip from the dining room to a dwarfs bedroom. People tend to forget that because it takes a lot of clicking < to get there, but that's why the game has shortcuts. I usually set 1 for surface entrance, 2 for dining rooms, 3 for crafting rooms, 4 for kitchens and 5 for the magma forges. It's super easy to skip around your fort with those shortcuts and helps you move a little away from super compact forts.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mu. posted:

This is Monom Gulnasnish. He is never the slightest bit cheerful about anything, and he is conflicted by this as he values parties and merrymaking in the abstract.

You need to build the biggest, baddest, most booze filled tavern and host the most epic party of ALL TIME. Starring Katy Perry.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah a lot of the changes in masterwork (like the meatstone) made food essentially a joke. But then a lot of other changes in masterwork (like unkillable stone demons and asbestos poisoning) made life a living hell. So on balance, it was all gravy more or less.

Masterwork had a bunch of cool stuff and of course a bunch of junk too, but that's just a side effect of how drat big it is. Personally I really love how it condenses materials into basic types you can make through various means. Animal leathers tend to be just leather and not (X)leather which makes your stockpiles neater, but it also adds a few extra tiers so you can get iron grade leathers from rarer animals and such. Warpstone dust was a cool extra I thought and added some attrition to your miner workforce but I can totally see why it'd piss people off too.

Of course a bunch of magical classes were really confusing and hard to do properly but a lot of mods played around with castes which I actually like. There's also a bunch of stuff like mithril ore and the magic gems (like tears of armok generating infinite water) that let you work around a few map limitations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mu. posted:

The little dances they do are adorable.

That's amazing. Can't wait for Fox News's reaction when a gif emerges of a swastika dance.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Could you make a breeding room where the tiny piglets fall through the floor when born for easy sorting?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Captain Mediocre posted:

I think its a law of the dwarfiverse that if you embark with only one male animal that animal will be sterile or homosexual. Take two boars.

I've been embarking with pigs for a while now though, they do seem to be by far the most convenient animal to mass farm for meat, leather and bones.

What's the best way to handle them in practice? Do you just slaughter boars and leave the sows to reproduce exponentially? Also what's the best way to organize them without too much clutter?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I want the cave layers to have multistory mushroom tree's. In fact it would be great if the caves were just bigger, by default they are completely randomized but I love huge open caves with multiple layers. Maybe Toady could tweak the cave gen to reflect that.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

So a few of my dwarves got caught by some dust while fighting a forgotten beast. It was the kind that melts everything it touches and produces clouds of miasma. But they fought it right next to the hospital so they were able to be carried there and the dust covering was cleaned before it could fully kill them. Pretty much every single part of their body is yellow or red. They can't see and the description is "mangled beyond recognition." I expected them to never leave the hospital but they're up and training/doing tasks :stare: They're not even flashing to indicate they're wounded so it's just like a dwarf shaped mound of mangled flesh going about its usual business.

Metal as gently caress :black101:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lareine posted:

I just realized I don't have sand on my embark. I need the sand to make the glass corkscrews that gets put in the screw pumps that pumps the magma so I can finally forge stuff without using up all my wood. Now I have to make the corkscrews out of either nethercap wood(which is guarded by serpent men) or out of metal which will use up twice as much charcoal as the glass would've. I could potentially solve that by making the forge way way down at the bottom where the magma is but that is incredibly inefficient considering my dwarves live up top. Can't be worse than using up all my possible wood just to make some goddamned corkscrews.

It really isn't. A vertical stair down will be like 30 blocks. It's probably more than 30 blocks between your bedrooms and main dining room.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Never not 0/100 tunnel density/cave openness. Humans build villages in the surface. Dwarves build them in the caves!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Then periodically come to the surface to vomit on caravans and drown them.

I like to make a 5x wide tunnel with ramps that goes deep into the earth. None of it's trapped and anyone who wants to enter my fortress has to brave whatever is out on the surface to reach it :kheldragar:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I was really excited when I got that email from Patreon but is not procedural creation myths :(

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Man, toady makes more money than I do.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Toady made more in March than I make in a year :negative:
I mean I'm part-time and only work a few days a week, but still, god drat.

I think Patreon has just been really good to him. It's super easy to set up a token monthly donation and forget about it. Before I threw him maybe 50 bucks every few years when a major update came out. Now I just give him 5 bucks a month, me and a couple of hundred other people.

Edit: I just checked and toady gets $4300 from 1350 people every month.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 4, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Can you turn off migrants entirely? I want to try my hand at a fort with the first 7 and whatever children they can produce. I've tried this in the past by tuning down max pop but you always get the first wave and I think it stops them from producing children.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm having a really tough time playing without Dwarf Therapist. Should I go back a version or wait for an update to the latest DF?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

KillHour posted:

Is that really a bug though? That's just awesome and a little sad. The fix should be acquiring a profound depression due to never being able to fulfill their goals. Maybe when we get magic, they will go on an epic quest to gain a mouth.

Toady is creating fantasy Westworld and the Dwarves will achieve sentience through melancholy.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah if you enjoy Rimworld go right ahead but lol if you try defend his opinions

:haw:

Now I want to mod religion into his game and have them all be wrong, except Islam.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

RaspberryCommie posted:

Yeah. The one that has a special executable that lets you choose which mods and stuff to run right?

So the thing is you have to get this one because the official one is incredibly borked but the fan udpated one works.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Holy poo poo! This is awesome!

Did he give the game a UI for this release?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The dev cycle is still going to be a year + between updates.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah literally my first act before any new game of DF is making sure I delete aquifers from the game files.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Make it so dwarves need to collect a bucket of water to clean tiles :unsmigghh:

(And then dump it back in the well when they're done)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

if you wish for that, we're going to get individually tracked water contaminants and have to boil or otherwise filter water until it's usable for cleaning/cooking/doctoring/etc

Oh no.