Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

I'm desperate to play this game but the ASCII hurts my tiny brain and the graphic packs in the lazy newbz don't seem to work with the current version. Has anyone got a recommendation for a decent graphics pack?

Are you using the old "Lazy Newb Pack" or the new (PeridexisErrant) Starter Pack? The starter pack should work fine, it has graphics bundled with the game and already installed, so you don't need to download anything else. Are you getting any errors?

Get the latest version here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I think a stockpile will only generate as many hauling jobs as it has wheelbarrows assigned (not how many wheelbarrows it actually has). Thus a wheelbarrow-equipped stockpile will only ever have a maximum of 3 haulers working at a time. Disabling wheelbarrows might be better if you have large stockpiles and idle haulers; but you can also split your stockpiles into many smaller stockpiles, each with 3 wheelbarrows.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
There's a plugin in the Starter Pack that lets you both search by name and mark/unmark all visible goods for trading easily. To buy all the food, just search for "5" as all the food is in packs of 5 (and then manually remove anything else that shows up in the search afterwards, usually just a few 25-stacks of bolts/arrows).

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Mm. I take it that it hasn't really changed recently, then.

Setting up your military is still a bit of a pain, true. Now training actually works though, so if you set it up properly they'll actually get good at fighting quite fast (especially with a good trainer I think). No need to use danger rooms and other exploits to get soldiers to actually train anymore.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
There used to be two guaranteed waves of immigrants, but that was removed in the 2014-version (so all immigration is handled the same). Usually if you aren't getting immigrants, it means that goblins have conquered your civilization and there aren't any other forts that might send immigrants your way. If that was the case though, you shouldn't be getting dwarven caravans either, so I dunno. I can't think of a reason you'd get dwarven caravans but no dwarven migrants.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

vibratingsheep posted:

Is there any way in the base game or DFhack to view what can be pathed to and what can't be pathed to? I dug down to the caverns level while waiting out a siege, and my miners are now unable to make it back down to the cavern level they discovered. I keep getting announcements that they have cancelled their Dig action because they can't find a path.

Is there a usable staircase? Remember, there needs to be a staircase (up, down or up/down) on every level for a dwarf to get there. If you just punctured the roof of the cavern, they probably won't jump down to the floor and they certainly can't get back up.

reading posted:

Also has anyone else noticed that even if you really try to avoid piercing any caverns, if you go for the lava you eventually puncture one or more somehow? And no matter what you do to immediately seal any breach, your dwarves will at some point find their way in there? In all of my 40.## forts I have had groups of dwarves somehow get "stuck" in the caverns, and I can never figure out how they get in there. It'll be a group and no matter what I do I can't get them back out. It's like they slid between the cracks of a floor panel or sealed hallway.

I think it's because I always pierce them with a down staircase, since that's how I move downwards, and even if I put a hatch cover or build a floor over it, at some point there's a gap. The way things fit together in this game in the vertical direction is always really unclear.

What I usually do to avoid this is to interrupt my staircase every 10-20 z-levels. Just dig a little corridor off from the (current) lowest level of stairs, blocking it off with doors and ideally a remote-triggered drawbridge, before digging down again on the other side of the door/drawbridge. The corridor is an ideal place to put some cage traps too, just in case something nasty from the caverns manages to get in.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Then unless you're using burrows/civilian alert, I have no idea. That looks fine. If there wasn't a path available at all though, you shouldn't be getting any errors I think (they wouldn't even bother trying). That you're getting errors suggests that there was a path and a dwarf set out to do the job, but the path became blocked/unavailable before he got there. If you designate stuff to be mined where the miners are slacking, are they able to do that? If you try to construct a floor or something between the staircases in the second picture, does that job get done?

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I haven't touched this game in nearly a year (played a bit after the first 2014 update), have there been any major changes to the game or major mod improvements since then? I downloaded the PeridexisErrant Starter Pack, is that still the standard recommendation?

Also, is there an easier way to find a site with flux, iron and coal than to do "prospect all" in DFHack a million times before embarking? Or has trade improved enough that I can perhaps import some of those things rather than have to dig up my own supply of everything?

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I think the people making Masterwork had to start over from scratch after the new version of Dwarf Fortress came out last year, they couldn't just port Masterwork over as it was. I have no idea how playable the new version of MW is, but you could grab an older version of Dwarf Fortress and the old version of Masterwork if you wanted all the old stuff.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
There isn't much point in messing around trying to bring as many free barrels as possible though, at least for normal embarks. Wood is plentiful in most places now, and you could always make rock pots if you're short on wood.

Speaking of, can I set up workflow to make sure there are X number of *unused* things of a certain type? Barrels, bins, weapons, armour, chairs etc? Whether I need to make more of things like that usually depends on how many I have lying unused in stockpiles, not how many I have in total.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

Honestly, I think it's very telling in the year 2015, when everything has a pateron/kickstarter/whatever, that no team has made an honest to god attempt to try their own Dwarf Fortress. Dude is nuts, has been nuts for... however long this has been around god drat, he's kind of an outlier in the world.

A bunch of people have tried making Dwarf Fortress clones. They've generally failed though, for various reasons.

The only decent one I've tried is Gnomoria, and I still prefer Dwarf Fortress. I haven't touched it in ages, but it was basically Dwarf Gnome Fortress with fancier graphics and less content when I tried it last. Looks like it's still getting patches though, so maybe I'll reinstall and have a look while I wait for utilities/tilesets to catch up with the current version of Dwarf Fortress.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Theoretically, pipes could simplify things and reduce the FPS hit from having water flowing through your fortress. You could do away with simulating every single tile of water and the flow in/out of it, and just treat the whole pipe as one entity (similar to how power is handled).

Realistically though....

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I haven't played in ages, and when I downloaded the Starter Pack now I noticed that one of the starting dwarfs in the pre-made loadout I used was set up as a combination axedwarf and woodcutter. Does that combination work now or is it still bugged? I seem to recall a dwarf couldn't handle using the same axe for felling trees and for felling goblins, nor could he carry separate axes.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
The DFHack command "showmood" should tell you what's missing.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah, actually giving all the orders to produce the right stuff (for both armor and clothing) is the biggest problem I have with the system. Especially when you're in a hurry and can't just queue up 30 of each item at a time. I remember the Masterwork-mod had an option for creating full sets of clothing/armor as 1 item, that would have been really handy.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I'm having trouble with grazing pets starving to death. They seem to just wander off into a temple while their owners do other stuff, and then eventually starve. This hasn't ever been a problem before, and I have plenty of food available, so I don't see why it happens. Can the pets still eat if I pasture them on grass, or are they completely reliant on their owners? I tried it briefly, and they still looked hungry, but maybe they just needed more time.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

You should still be able to assign pets to a pasture. If there is not enough grazing area in the pasture though you might be in for trouble.

I could assign them, they just didn't seem to be eating. I'll throw them back in and let them stay there until the problem goes away, one way or the other.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Two questions:

Why do my miners constantly lose their picks, particularly when removing ramps? I quite often see a job cancellation alert about it, "Urist McMiner, Miner cancels Remove Stairs/Ramps: Lost pick".

Do I need to actively do anything about old, worn clothing or can I ignore it? I've set up a production line, with conditions like this, and it seems to produce enough clothing for everyone at least. I assume the check for "available" things only looks for unused stuff in stockpiles, and doesn't count the stuff people are wearing/using?

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Haifisch posted:

As long as your dwarfs aren't wearing more than one or two pieces of worn clothing each(they should automatically replace worn clothes with new clothes as they're produced), you're fine. If they have more worn clothes than that, something's gone wrong in your production chain and you aren't keeping up with demand. Although nothing super bad happens as long as their feet, upper body, and lower body are still covered, so you can theoretically get away with just producing dresses(which cover both upper and lower body, iirc) and shoes(or socks) and dealing with the inital complaints as all the other clothing types rot away.

Worn clothing in stockpiles makes ideal trading fodder, if you want to get it out of your fort.

There do seem to be a few dwarves wandering around with worn clothes, but they're mostly fine. I'm guessing they're just slow to switch it out or something, I seem to have a small inventory of the things they're missing. Trading away worn clothing seems a bit tedious, because it's all mixed with the good stuff I want to keep. Is there a quick way to separate worn clothing?

I just noticed my manager has been hoarding clothes in his office for some inexplicable reason though. 18 pieces of various clothing, both worn and unworn, literally covering the floor of his 3x3 office. Perhaps they all want to hoard clothes, and he was the only one with a space of his own to keep it in? I only just started handing out bedrooms to the working classes.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

CassandraSupreme posted:

Are there any animals around? Picks get stuck in things easily. There is also the occasional z-level shenanigans.

There are animals around, but they don't seem to be fighting the miners. I'm guessing it's something to do with z-level shenanigans then, since it usually happens when they're working on ramps.

Are sieges still not back in the game by the way? I'm 3 years into my new fort and I still haven't seen a single goblin. The only attackers so far have been wildlife and a single human werebear child. Giant Keas were quite annoying, since they just wanted to scare my dwarves away from working and refused to fight. That problem disappeared once I managed to hand out some crossbows and bolts though.

Actually, it seems like the goblins might have been destroyed after I founded my fort, because they're not in the list of civilizations anymore. I'm fairly sure they were listed as neighbours when I started the fort though. I guess I'll just have to provoke the elves instead...

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Are war animals broken somehow? I had a pack of 16 war dogs and a war bear pastured outside the entrance to my fort when goblins finally attacked (in retaliation for me raiding them), but the war animals did literally nothing as far as I can tell. They didn't resist or even run away, they just stood still waiting for the goblins to kill them all.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I don't mean they were ineffective, I didn't really expect them to do much damage to a goblin army anyway. I mean they literally did nothing. Most of them just stood there without moving, just waiting their turn to be put down by the goblins. A few tried to run away I think, but I didn't see a single line in the combat logs where the dogs even tried to attack a goblin.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Future Days posted:

Did you assign them to a dwarf?

No, they were just pastured. I quit via DFHack and tried a couple more times to handle that siege (gently caress dwarven pathfinding very much), and I did eventually see one instance of a dog trying (but failing) to bite a goblin. They may indeed have been sneaking, but I have no idea how to deal with that.

I also lost a couple of dwarves for some rather odd reasons. I had a military dwarf caught outside bringing in lumber when the siege happened, and he moved at about 10% of the speed of a normal dwarf. Even though everyone else had plenty of time to get in, he never made it through the gates before the goblins got him. I savescummed a few times and he behaved the same way each time, both when ordered inside with his squad and when left as a civilian ordered inside by burrow restrictions. He wasn't carrying anything but his normal gear, and he wasn't injured, so I have no idea why he was moving at half the pace of a dwarf carrying a heavy boulder.

I also lost a couple of dwarves because they ignored my orders to station deep inside my fort, and decided to charge the goblin hordes alone...

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Police Automaton posted:

So I haven't played this in years and think about diving in again so apologies if the answers are obvious- All I ever really was interested in this game was building above-ground structures. While not very dwarven, I always just wanted to build villages with multi-story buildings and intricate castle-like structures with huge walls etc.. and df made that interesting because of it's 3d nature and interesting terrain features on some maps. Sadly as how material yields worked in past versions, you had to hole out entire mountains/raze entire forests to be able to build a small stone shack with wooden floor. Has anything about that changed? Also farming was way, way too effective in that a small field could feed hundreds of dwarves. Has that gotten a bit more challenging? Is immigration now actually generated out of people from that civ or are the immigrants still "created" at the border? Can I have different races in my dwarven outpost? Thanks for answering my questions if you do!

Building materials are plentiful now, so that part shouldn't be a problem. You get lots of logs from felling a single tree, and if you do any serious mining for ore you'll have plenty of spare rocks (and one boulder can be turned into 4 blocks at a Mason's Workshop). Building a properly defended above-ground fortress is still a lot more work than a normal fortress, but it's perfectly doable. Remember some enemies can fly and most of them can climb now, so a simple wall isn't going to be enough:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Climber

Farming is unchanged I think, so it's still extremely easy to feed your fort. However, you need vast quantities of cloth (and dyes too if you want to be fancy), so you can still set up fairly large farms that produce useful stuff if you want to. Making your own clothing from scratch is very labor intensive and somewhat complex, but the manager system has gotten a lot better, so you don't have to micromanage it once it's up and running. You can set up permanent job orders like "Make more socks if we run low on socks and we have enough raw materials stockpiled".

I don't know how immigrants are generated, but there's a new class of migrants in addition to the usual migrant waves of dwarves:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Visitor

Visitors can be from other races, and you get to choose whether or not they're allowed to stay in your fort permanently. Eventually they'll become citizens and can do normal jobs, but it takes ages and you don't get very many visitors compared to the normal dwarf migrants.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Doesn't fat get rendered into tallow automatically? Why do you need to set up a job order for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Tias posted:

Is DF 64 bit OS compatible? And if not, is it possible to con it into being? After I got Win10/64bit, DF crashes after embark.

I've been playing DF on a 64-bit Win10 system for years just fine, so that's probably not the reason your game is crashing. Which version are you using? The Starter Pack is usually stable, but it's not updated to the newest version yet: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622