Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

For everyone that likes the ASCII but would like a different color set, the Wiki has instructions and some premade sets to choose from

E: Oh and the same with ASCII tile sets

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Leal posted:

Their chaperones are very rude and just take use my bones without asking for permission. Also they are invisible and even while actively attacking people they never show up so I have to slayrace to make them stop.

SKELETON HOUSE!!!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

YeOldeButchere posted:

I've stopped following the political cartoon thread a long time ago, and it appears that was a mistake.

That aside, has anyone ever done a Masterwork thread in the LP forum?

Everyone's considered it but there hasn't been one as far as I know.

And not following the politoon thread is probably best for your health.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

PublicOpinion posted:

DF actually does use those densities for muscle and fat (and 0.8 g/ml for liquid fat).

Of course, the only time your dwarves would have liquid fat is when you're trying to burn it off. (With fire, for all you exercise nuts)

Speaking of wrestling and size, there's no good way to up an adventurer's fat is there?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The previous animations reminded me of this old one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1kBedai-rk

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fuligin posted:

I came upon an encampment of sleeping goblins. Easily, I went from each to each, taking their heads as trophies. I bashed in the throat of their leader and watched him suffocate. When one awoke he ran screaming and calling for help from his comrades, helpless to stop me as I killed the rest. Finally, as I slowly approached him he tried to climb a tree. I slashed him open from behind and pulled him down by yanking on his intestines.

Release owns.

We used to talk about how real Dwarf Fortress was.

This is quite possibly Too loving Real.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Archonex posted:

So if you take over a site, what can you do with it? Can you go full on fortress mode with it? Please tell me that's a thing now. :allears:

Has anyone explored this? Even if it just means that all the items at a site belong to you, I'd love the opportunity to roll out a dragon "adventurer" and just take over a capital city and just hoard all the city's food and valuables in the throne room :smaug:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Started as a dwarven adventurer, all the clothes in the fortress are listed as "large" Why are dwarfs making clothes that don't fit themselves? :argh:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

necrotic posted:

Nah, they'll leave. It may involve falling out of the tree most of the time, though.

"It's my belief that these dwarves are laboring under the misapprehension that they're birds."

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 9, 2014

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

PublicOpinion posted:

I'd sort of forgotten about the move/combat speed split until my adventurer encountered a giant cheetah. It closed an entire screen's worth of distance in two ticks, and after getting wounded and scared it completely left visibility within a single tick.

That is amazing and sounds like it's working exactly as intended.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Robot Randy posted:

Reclaimed a fortress and got a trade depot full of weapons, armor, and food. This poo poo rules.

Obviously this means you have to find a dragon that's taken over a pregen fortress and reclaim it with 7 dwarves with only military skills and equipment. :black101:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Moridin920 posted:

1 kg keas keep stealing my 16 kg ballista bolts.

drat birds.

Perhaps they've carried it on a line?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah, Adamantine is actually about as heavy as styrofoam as defined in the raws, but holds a wicked edge and is basically unbreakable.

Incidentally, you DO want to give an adamantium hammer to your Hammerer: They'll love it for the value of the material but any hammerings (I.E corporal punishments) they have to perform will be as effective as a wiffle bat.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ninjewtsu posted:

if you catch a vampire in the act they'll become immediately hostile to your entire fort, i believe. so you can set up a trap, if you're confident in your military

Considering that you would have to assign the vampire to a task in a specific room to set up that trap, I can't help but imagine a heavily armed intervention.

:( "Now Urist, we're all here because we love you."
:drac: "You bloodbags plan to kill me!"
:black101: "Love Hurts."

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

scamtank posted:

Meph actually did just that! I'm pretty sure that he made some sort of a "spring of courage" 1x1 workshop with a siege gunner-specific reaction producing a brief puff of golden mist that made any dwarven inhalers fearless for quite some time

See if it was me, I'd put that syndrome on ballista bolts instead, and have it take effect whenever the gunners touch it. I was able to do something similar for an adventurer and their sweat in the past.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Re: Boat chat

Has Tarn already implemented buoyancy with different materials? I know density is already in game.

Presumably that's what he means by implementing "floating". The crazy sonovabitch will probably cludge together an entire buoyancy system just to implement boats, so you can ply the ocean blue (or red, green, peuce...) in random boats made of featherwood, granite, leftover plump-helmet roasts...

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Internet Kraken posted:

Why are there so many books written about animal reproduction?

If you reproduced by spores but were too dumb to put on armor when you're in the military, you'd spend a lot of mental effort figuring out where the hell babies come from too.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Tell your viewers that they're awesome.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Got this mixed up with the military history thread.:beerpal:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThLBpiw7dTc

Kruggsmash with the bold claim that pump-training doesn’t work. Has anyone tried it or can provide evidence to the contrary? It’s been a hot minute since I’ve tried to play

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Donnerberg posted:

Going in mostly blind apart from a short listen of boatmurdered narrated. I know that I should dig and avoid elephants.

Are elephants monstrous again? For a little bit they’d automatically starve because they couldn’t eat fast enough.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Looks like all animals have a personality?

Yeah Krugg was digging through some animal brains, found a racist eagle and a fastidious elephant

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Arrath posted:

Lol Kruggsmash had a wandering monster hunter join, who started murdering his way through the caverns and is horrified at every death he causes.

Krugg just set up a memorial for the guy, turns out he'd killed a dragon in worldgen and turned its talons into a crown.

Then he shows up at Krugg's fort, dashed down into the caverns, then got merc'd by some random troglodytes.

We only know this because his ghost started haunting the fort, whereupon a grave was made and the story of the dragon fight was carved into the tombstone.

Never change DF :allears:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

deep dish peat moss posted:

Does the world size really 'matter' in this game? Like in Rimworld for example you can generate worlds that are 30%, 50%, or 100% size and (without mods) there's virtually no reason to go above 30% because you'll never travel more than 30% of the world away.

Other than giving me more potential starting sites, does a larger world do anything in DF?

It creates more/less Forgotten Beasts, with 12 on the low end and 867 on the high end

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:World_generation

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

sebmojo posted:

For the gang tag I'm asking people to post a story about their fort because I love dwarf stories, doesn't have to be elaborate

The only dwarf story I've got until getting home today is the bit of Expert Humor I wrote for Bronzestabbed, where the dwarf that represented me came to the fort with his wife and a pet keet to a vile biome with gas clouds that turned people into zombies. Somehow we both managed to run out into one of the 'vile murks' for a drink of water from the river and lived to tell about it. Sadly my dwarf dropped from the Overseer's notice until I booted up the save out of curiosity and found my dwarf had mysteriously been entombed in dirt near the fort entrance, with no apparent record of his death or accident where it might have occurred

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

chadbear posted:

What could possibly go wrong

Dwarves need ale to get through the working day, because they need to be able to ask Armok to "hold my beer" at any moment

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

is the biggest possible embark area 6x6 or can i go mega

I think it takes a little extra digging, but I've seen that you can get up to 16x16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2svVhM7MYZI

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

What's the quickest way to get all the wagon goods inside, so the dwarfs stop having to wander upstairs out into the rain for their drinks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

VictualSquid posted:

Also built a carpenters workshop next to the entrance to start on making beds. The nearest material available was ice. I should have become suspicious there.

Did the workshop melt?

"huh, a dead bird."

"huh, a big dead bird"

"huh, it's raining"

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 7, 2022