Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

HFCS posted:

I just had my first ever experience with... well, not entirely sure yet. A Werechameleon arrived and destroyed a good part of my fortress, and then morphed into a friendly Human, and is now running across treetops naked. He stored some of my dead dwarfs on the trees as well.

As soon as it morphed into a human, one of my own dwarfs went into, I'll say a "mood" (looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!) ... killed a fellow dwarf, and is now crafting -something- out of his corpse. This should be interesting..

Edit: He made a crown. A Crown made of dwarf bone. Not even anything spectacularly fancy, just.. a crown made of his friend's bones.

Now everyone is unhappy for some reason.

drat, it's been a while since I've read about a Fell mood :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

scamtank posted:

Hang on, I'm remembering something about a (potential?) feature that a chosen dwarf would suddenly get unhappy thoughts for having "been tormented in nightmares by the dead lately". Soon after, a wizard would visit the fortress, asking to take the poor bastard along on his quest. If you refused or got unlucky or something, the fortress would later be assaulted by an enormous army of skeletons and zombies.

Man, Toady intended to have a Gandalf-spawning algorithm in this game? I knew he wanted a fantasy-story simulator, but drat!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Yeah Toady is a way more functional human being than pretty much anyone who plays the game he made

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
gently caress. I remember reading the posts when they first got Scamps and watched him grow up.

Rest in peace, Scamps.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The true GotY has come to claim its own

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
A new change is also needing to breach caverns for underground farming. Agriculture no longer being braindead easy is going to be Fun; I missed the trial by fire for new players in the 2D version when you had to set up your first farm by the cave river.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Fantasy RimWorld clone/10

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
They changed it so underground farming needs you to breach the caverns now, right? NGL, it'll be a cool feeling to rely on surface foraging and hunting for your first year or so until you can muster enough muscle to deal with whatever bullshit's in there and start raising crops for realsies.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I can't believe I'm asking this question again, after nearly two decades, so much so it's bringing a smile to my face: I shouldn't take an anvil on embark, right? We're still guaranteed a blacksmith in the first wave who'll bring their own?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Estel posted:

No, if you don't take an anvil you have to wait and buy one from a dwarven or human caravan or request one from the dwarven liaison

Thank you. Times truly have changed...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hah. I've been saying this forever, but gamers truly are fuckin' spoiled for value. And to think they'll throw a shitfit about cosmetic shops and everything but somehow a game not even the price of a full basket of weekly groceries is too much money.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I grew up poor in an actual third-world country, don't try that poo poo on me. Video games are a luxury, treat them like one and save up for it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hell, one could say 70USD honestly still isn't enough for all the work that goes into a modern videogame, but I digress.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Can you equip dwarfs with melee weapons and a crossbow at the same time or are they exclusive?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dammit, dwarfs can't seamlessly switch between woodcutting and mining for some reason. I recall that focusing all the strength-heavy work on select dwarfs was a good way to get them super swole and fantastic militia fodder, but this is a skosh annoying to futz around with every time.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

FFT posted:

That's been true since the original release lmao

alwayshasbeen.jpg

drat, man, it's been a while, okay?! I probably could put in the effort back in 2011 or something

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I got heresy coming up: back then I once tried to make a mod that vastly cut down on the various subtypes of everything: wood, stone, animals, plants, you name it. I was sick of menus getting bloated to gently caress by all the various meats and leathers you could get, and things of that nature. I wonder if anyone made a mod like that and if it'll find its way to Steam eventually...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

scamtank posted:

Modest Mod had an optional set of raws for such a thing, keep an eye out for its re-emergence

and I get it to a degree, that's why I've been working on a creature variation that takes giant creatures and makes them use the materials of their original root critters instead

Oh sick, thank you for the heads-up!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I really should not bother with hunting or whatever, I bugged out a start again putting those skills on a woodcutter dwarf and they wouldn't switch to their axe and start chopping wood.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Will skill rust eventually delete a skill? Like straight up even remove Dabbling skill?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So do minecarts automatically end up creating quantum stockpiles at their destination always?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, I really need to get over myself when it comes to mineral veins blowing up the layout of my fortress, I never get anywhere because of me getting all fussy over it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh, no wonder, the default mineral generation settings in the Steam version is basically maxed out. No wonder it's pretty much everywhere.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, this new minecart tech making quantum stockpiles so much easier is incredible. Gonna miss it when Toady gets around to making things on a square take actual space but in the meantime, mwah

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Have you guys managed to get a dining hall stockpile of food, drinks, and mugs working properly? For some reason I noticed that eventually my dwarfs just won't fill up the stockpile, and they certainly don't even bother putting mugs in the bins, lazy fucks.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 12, 2022

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

AnarkiJ posted:

No idea how you would ever guess this, but chests are what you need.

Edit - Oh you said Dining Hall not Tavern, I'm not sure the dining hall serves that function by itself, try the chests and if that doesn't work, assign a tavern there and hopefully they'll start to use the chest to store goblets and the like.

Huh, I'll give that a try then. Yeah, it's weird because they did put a bin in (that they didn't use), and that they'll put mugs in bins when it comes to just stocking them for export or storage.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So I got a human bard petitioning for residence and I figure he'd be a good dude to man my tavern/dining hall. Any drawbacks to this?

On a related note, dude is wearing an iron mask and goblin bone jewelry. A real character, probably deserves that residency.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Do soldiers need all this furniture for their barracks furnishings? Bed, chest, armor and weapon racks, cabinet?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for the answers!

BTW, I have a weird issue: I haven't gotten migrants at all this year at 20 dwarfs...but I've gotten 6 (!) performers as residents, with the understanding that after 2 years they can become full citizens. Is this actually a good way to pick and choose migrants for my fortress, if real slow?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Should I take a doctor on embark? It seems like training one or hoping for a migrant can be spotty.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Two questions about labors:

1) Masonry. It's no longer used for smoothing stone (that's Stonecutter now), and seems to be the old Building Designer but for big buildings that use stone materials (trade depot, bridges, yadda yadda). I assume that it's just a luxury skill pick at embark for now?

2) Stone Carving. Stone furniture and whatnot...except you can use wood for roughly the same items. If I'm starting in a heavily-forested area, there doesn't seem to be a point to picking Stone Carving early unless I'm handling early magma or whatever, is that right?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've been using a minecart quantum stockpile and want to keep iterating on it for moving stuff around. It seems like they're worth it for moving stones in particular, so establishing a rail line to my stone workshops and my furnaces would be worth it. I have questions about laying down track though:

1) Will minecarts being guided by dwarfs manually collide with other minecarts on the same track? Do I need to run parallel lines instead?
2) That said, are automated minecarts as much of a trap as they seem to be, at least for logistical purposes? Maybe I can set some up for deep mining but if I'm planning the route in my actual fortress, having them guided seems to be a much safer option for not that much cost (idle dorf with nothing to do).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
No, dwarfs don't see through glass. I remember this distinctly.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

How do I make a tin bed? My Mayor just demanded one but...it doesn't seem to be a thing I can make.

You can't, that's a noble demand based on your mayor's personal preferences. Your only shot is an artifact mood resulting in a tin bed, and your best solution is either making them consistently happy so that the negative thought is outweighed, or you dunk their rear end in magma and hope the next mayor is more... reasonable.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I just breached into the cavern layer, which both has magnetite (yay) and is flooded (boo). This site isn't an aquifer so is it possible for me to drain the caverns of water using a really tall screw pump stack into the surface river?

EDIT: Also do you guys run exploratory tunnels from your mineshafts? I'd like to have some metal equipment before embarking on this potentially disastrous campaign to acquire iron.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 21, 2022

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Weembles posted:

You can also drain it off the side of the map by smoothing the stone at the edge and carving fortifications into it.

Oh poo poo that'll do the trick. Thank you!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Are picks still legitimately good weapons? Do dwarfs still use their Mining skill for them? I still like to cross-train miners as stonecutters and planters since these all boost strength, and thus make great foundations for soldiers.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone got a furniture item in mind I could use for grinding skill on a Stone Carver? Altars are much lighter than the rest but still take up one square each in a stockpile. Maybe I should rig a quantum stockpile for them?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Make Large Stone Pots. They're identical to barrels for storage purposes (some workshop tasks absolutely have to be barrels), so they take up negative storage space. Can never have enough stuff to put booze in.

Sadly it looks like Large Pots are a Stone Crafting item, not Stone Carving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Aight, quantum stockpile it is. Also thanks for reminding me about making one for shells and bones too, they're very annoying to handle.

On that note, does the good ole Dwarven Atomizer (bridge slamming down on a bunch of items) still actually improve FPS by deleting items (and creatures) outright? I remember reading something about how it doesn't actually remove all the data associated with the destroyed item so the gain isn't as good as you hope and the save still bloats in the end.