Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Pound_Coin posted:

What will & won't building destroyers go through? trying to design defences with a drowning chamber.
If you set up two doors, two floodgates or such one after another with no gap between them, a building destroyer can technically simply smash through them, but they aren't smart enough to believe they can path through it and therefore do not try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Okimin posted:

Has anyone made like some screenshot guide for dealing with aquafiers? I was trying to follow the wiki but they had some sideways view and I couldn't wrap my head around it, and I felt my pumping was less than efficient.

Aquifers are great to have around, and people who turn them off are elf-sympathisers with no vision for the malevolent magnificence that is the Inland Tsunami Generator, plus an aquifer is a great thing to have to make infinite indoor power batteries with waterwheels.

Anyway, here's your fifteen minute guide to breaching an aquifer:

When embarking on an aquifer, I bring 5 stone with me. This is because I hate using pumps for this. Too much time and effort, so I use a collapse. You only really need 3, but if there's a second aquifer layer (I haven't seen it in 0.31.xx but it happened in 40d fairly frequently)

Here we are with my exploratory shaft, and branching off from that is my initial designation for my drop.

Here we are with everything dug out, and the support installed. Since I didn't have much room to work with to get my nice solid plug of earth, I built a scaffold to hang the plug off by a support.

And here we are, with me punching through to the hematite and dolomite below. You see how I have stayed away from the edge of where the plug was dropped in my digging so that I do not open space next to aquifer ground. Also, now you know why I used a plug that size: So I could get a wagon down through it.

The corner channels are where I dug drains to remove the excess water.

Building and performing this took me 20 game days.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just shave it off layer by layer with dig upward ramp designations. These cut off the ceiling too, so your dwarves don't have to climb the deconstruction site to do their digging. Lone ramps that get left by this method thanks to bugs can be stripped with the remove stairs/ramps designation.

Also, if you collapse a large enough chunk of terrain, you get weird splitting along cell boundaries which can mess up your precious collapses. Is a real pain when doing drops to block off parts of cavern.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
I do a 3x3 stairwell but I also carve out the middle to just be a hole. I install retractable bridges over the middle at the various stockpile levels and have them hooked up to a master control room (Also known as the dining room). I have items from the merchants dumped down the hole and arrive on the correct level for stockpiling.

It is, of course, not the only stairwell. I have four 2x2 stairwells off to the sides as well, and each of the various stairwells can be sealed by doubled doors at every level so losing a stairwell to invaders is not the end of the world. I am just sad that collapses don't chew through stairwells like they do unsupported floors. That would make for the best fortress shaft defence ever.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
You bulk up as your strength and toughness stats increase. You end up being a mountain of muscle that shoves over every stray goblin you encounter. It is fantastic :black101:

It also makes it easy to play my favourite adventurer game: Goblin stacking. You get to the edge of a cliff while in super-sneak and charge multiple goblins off it one at a time so they land on top of each other.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jazzimus Prime posted:

This is correct about roads. Not sure about floors, but I know you can't build walls at the map's edge.
As of 0.34.10 (Last version I played) this is only true on the surface. You can build walls right on the edge of the map down in the caverns. I did it to wall off all three layers of the caverns once, and then I built lots of huts for my dwarves to live in and everyone got bitten by cave spiders. It was great.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Excelzior posted:

Toady really needs to implement toilets, sewers and other waste disposal.
I think he is refusing to do that because it would immediately add a whole new level of terror to drowning traps.

The truth, however, is that dwarves expel waste in the form of vermin, which cats then kill. The vermin then rots away, generating the miasma upon which plants feed. This previously undiscovered aspect of Cat/Dwarf symbiosis demonstrates the need for more research and studies in the area.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Gods are going to get snitty when people keep profaning their temples. It is enough to drive anyone mad and want to unleash a demon or two.

I have to say, I am enjoying the new version and the lack of automatic enemy of site/civilisation when you go around killing people. I was able to go door to door in a human hamlet collecting skulls (That is basically all I know about hamlet) and all the people in the next house knew was "A battle? What is happening?!"

Sadly, I met a goblin gang on the way up the road and they decided to steal my idea and apply it to me.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Solvency posted:

I started a new fortress, and out of the blue, one of my original members became a King but he still mines and does other work like a normal dwarf. Also, apparently none of our trading partners ever bring an outpost liason, so I think something is up with my world.
You tend to get this a lot of you turn the megabeast and semi-megabeast caves up dramatically in the more specific worldgen options. I had a world that went through 1050 years of history in the space of about fifteen seconds because the last bastion of civilisation got wiped out by about fifteen megabeasts and minotaurs by year 40.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

DwarvenZombie posted:

drat dwarf cut a tree full of dwarfs now halve of them are drowning in the river. Gonna restart.
My dwarves embarked on the side of a mountain, destroying the wagon and scattering their goods and selves through about five different trees. Only way to get the horses down was to cut them down, then pick up their remains at the bottom of the cliff for emergency butchery. Fortunately the cat survived with only a pulped leg, landing this side of the terrible drop.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

scamtank posted:

- An all-new kind of wound: partially butchered. Has an entry both in the health screen and creature description wound listings. Don't ask me.

Toady One on the 31st of July posted:

Reactions will also trim away pieces of bodies properly. All jobs that affect body components (anything that uses bone, for example) will now carve away pieces of the body component, which'll leave a "partially butchered" wound type on the limbs etc. that were used in jobs if the skeleton is animated.

It makes sense in context! :eng101:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Construct the cage and link it to a lever, then pull the lever.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
You could check your orders menu to see if you have accidentally messed up your garbage settings.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
The new prioritised designations system is really good to use. I can sit back and know my miners aren't making a hash of things and I don't need to do so much on the spot micromanagement in the opening stages of a fort (Which is where I usually lose interest). I had a bunch of miners cut the entrance, then mine out each stockpile in sequence and complete the hallway when they were done.

Of course, if I had paid more attention to the embark screen, I would have known my embark had no trees and that I should bring some bloody wood. I now have 24 dwarves hot bunking with three beds and my dogs have been kicked to death by angry Yaks. Need to get to the caverns soon.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Am I the only person having moods breaking? I've had two moods now in two different fortresses where the dwarf is unable to move on to collect their second component for the project. In this case he wants leather and blocks. I have tons of leather and twelve bins full of blocks of all stripes including wooden ones, but when he takes the leather to the workshop he just stands there with it in his inventory hauled, or if he does add it to the workshop, he still just stands there behaving the same way.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lowen posted:

I've had one mood work but it only needed a few items.

Then I had another mood that needs a bunch of items, he's gathered 4 of them and is just kind of waiting. I think he would have gathered everything or snapped by now if things were working, yeah.
Ok, I've found out what's happening and found the matching bug in the tracker. It's to do with grabbing multiple of the same object for a reaction. You can't make pig iron for the same reason. The dwarf tries to grab the nearest applicable reagent so he grabs the material he just delivered and delivers it over and over and over again in the case of a mood. In other stuff it is just "job item lost or destroyed spam" because he nicked his own stuff and is trying to perform a reaction without all the components.

You can sort of get around this for moods by forbidding the stuff in the workshop once he brings it so he fetches more, then reallowing them all (I also had to forbid/unforbid the workshop). I saved two dwarfs that way.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
It keeps improving. A few versions ago in adventure mode I got an elf up to legendary +50 swordsman and was regularly poking peoples eyes out, knocking out teeth, etc despite it always showing as an "impossible" shot.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Prop Wash posted:

Granted I love DFHack for some of its other functions as well - I blatantly cheat if a goblin siege shows up year one and I have no remorse over it at all, I like that other people play this game as an ironman restarting sim but personally I'm not interested in that.
Have you considered... closing the doors and locking them out? There's nothing saying you have to fight the goblins each and every time they come by.

Personally, I just use them as ballista target practice and ignore them otherwise. My dwarves are usually FAR too busy building a home between second and third cavern layers to care about surfacers, and the longer the siege hangs around, the longer I get between migrant waves. Given I typically only need a workforce of 20-30 dwarves to be both self sustaining and capable of digging/smoothing/constructing poo poo fast, having more time between migrant waves is absolutely fine by me.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
It really isn't. I usually get it all inside before the end of the first month. And this is without using quantum stockpiles, or setting up a drop shaft next to the wagon and throwing it all down the hole (Though this is my preferred method when I decide that I want to start building really deep). Just use the hallways for temporary stockpiles while expanding the digs.

I usually use the first ten months of game to clearfell a bunch of forest, do some pre-emptive river rerouting and digging out stuff that needs dug. by the time the first caravan arrives, I usually have enough mechanisms and crafts to buy out whatever I damned well please to make up for any resource shortfalls.

I spend the next few years digging a proper fortress deep down and when the time is right I have my dwarves dismantle the upper fort and migrate down into the deep one, then fill the first one with interesting traps while leaving a pathway for a wagon to go right through it and down into the deep fort proper because I really can't be stuffed operating a depot so far from my fort.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

I wish terrifying biomes wouldn't have the rain or reanimation stuff, just lots of dangerous monsters like ogres and harpies. Sometimes I want wildlife more threatening then a giant hamster, but I don't want to deal with reanimation or not getting caravans because the acid rain melted them all down.
It is actually quite doable, even with the rain. What you do is dig a network of three tile wide tunnels either one or two z levels down and have entrances all around the borders of the map that caravans can very quickly duck into shortly after arriving. This way over 90% of caravans will survive to trade and depart.

Just be sure to run everyone through a mister on the way in, because they can track in murder rain substances. Please adhere to strict quarantine protocols for new arrivals (Possibly including having them toss their shoes down a shaft into magma).

The funniest thing for me was that if I kept the doors properly locked, entire siege forces would just die in the rain.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
I can't stomach tilesets. Trying to figure out what everything was in bronzestabbed was a pain and it felt awkward as hell. I'm default ASCII all the way, now and forever. And without any of that squaring everything off crap either :bahgawd:

Seriously though, it isn't hard. Even after months or even years away from the game I still recognise everything, and quickly figure out all the new stuff. It can seem overwhelming at first, but I like it. It has character.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Just reading this makes me want to eat a bullet. Personally, I just can't bring myself to apply this level of planning and micromanagement. Everyone sleeps in the sprawling housing complex on the residential level and if they don't like it they can sleep in the dorms or on the loving floor for all I care. My usual solution to inefficiencies and slow production is to throw more dwarves at the problem. Dwarves are cheap.
Agreed, but I tend to make residential cubes rather than sprawls for the sake of pathing efficiency. Also, I'm presently experimenting with giving everyone a 3x3 bedroom and eliminating corridors entirely, so dwarves just walk through each others rooms to get to their own. The massive number of doors required lets me build fortress wealth and very selectively lock down which rooms get isolated in the event of a berserk toddler or night creature.

I also tend to slap a lot of different labours on my dwarves, and only pare them down when they become highly skilled in one or more jobs. That being said, it is much easier to use the workshop profile to just lock the unskilled dwarves out of the workshops than go through each individual units labours and disable poo poo. This way you can sort of divide labour. You have one or two mason workshops turning out high quality poo poo for decorating your fort while another few, operated by whoever wanders by, churn out stuff like blocks.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

scamtank posted:

No, but that's why goblins like bringing trolls. They have a tag named [BUILDINGDESTROYER], ponder on its meaning for a second.

Nobody can break down solid walls, though. Talc boulders or balsa logs, constructions are impenetrable.
Building on this, Building destroyer pathing checks to see if the space behind a destroyable object is pathable, and if so they'll charge it, smash the door down, and waddle on in. What you can do to trick their AI is to double up on doors, so the tile beyond the first locked door is another locked door. They think they can't path there and don't attack the door.

Mind you, this does absolutely nothing for building destroyer random wandering which operates differently and I have witnessed smashing down four layers of doors (Fortunately I was being careful in that case and the next was a wall construction).

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
I find minecarts are really useful for hauling large numbers of serrated steel discs to goblin sieges.

Personally though, I generally just set up a chain of two stop routes though my primary mining areas so stuff gets shuffled along from section to section towards my migratory workshop shaft. I don't mind the high dwarf overhead so much because I generally have a stupidly large number of idlers due to my insistence on highly efficient fortress design.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

VerdantSquire posted:

So what does this have to do with adding taverns to the game? Hell if I know. But regardless, it's still pretty awesome.
To do taverns, he needed travellers. Travelling bards and the like filled that niche. With that framework done, he saw a way to quickly adapt the bard development thing to another sorely lacking part of the game: Book variety and libraries. I know I have gotten tired of beating people to death with treatises on death.

It is just an example of low hanging fruit that came into reach while doing something else and he thought (correctly) it was cool.

I personally can't wait to steal a book on mathematics from the local library and use it to educate bandits manually.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The effects of evil biomes have been randomized (or something like that) for a bunch of versions now. It's hard to tell if you're going to get a relatively normal biome with beak dogs and sometimes it rains gross but harmless blood, or if you're going to get some kind horrific nightmare world with staring eyeball grass, the dead rising from their graves, death plagues falling from the sky, and skeletal whales dragging themselves from the ocean to crush the living.
Harmless rains of blood? I'd kill to get harmless rains of blood. What I get is generally different flavours of absolute murder-rain, like the purple ooze that made anyone infected blister on every single internal and external bodypart (Including the skeleton), collapse in extreme pain, and essentially scream until they suffocated.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Node posted:

Well, I have a lot more dwarves than that. My dwarves are specialized as far as jobs go, and my pancake fortress design means you don't need to walk a long distance to do your normal activities. My farm and pasture take a bit longer to get to, but it isn't terrible. I've stopped creating anything but the necessities like food and booze I'm still pretty much gridlocked.
The problem here is the pancake design.

I make every corridor 3 tiles wide to make traffic a non issue, and then I have many connections between different Z levels, with workshops working above and below stockpile space. I have the mechanics workshop near the trade depot and just move all the mechanisms to the depot each time a caravan comes by (They are my primary trade goods). Farming is done in a dirt layer above the stockpiles and workshops. Once I hit my cap of 40 adult dwarves I tend to have more than I need, and just let them make babies enough to trigger goblin siege activity. I do not bother with furniture stockpiles. I make what I need as I need them and keep them in the workshop until I'm ready to use them. Workshops are easy to build, and 3 tile wide corridors means I can just slap a masons shop down in my mining areas to make blocks and deconstruct it when I'm done.

The trick is to decide which stockpiles you are going to be using more and have them closer to your target industry. For example you aren't going to get much work in gem works so you can stick that pile off to one side near the access to the mining delves. Stone is more important so use wheelbarrows and/or mine carts to fill a stockpile near the middle of your work area. Most of the stone in it will start off in the area you just dug out for your fortress, and even three wheelbarrows works pretty well to keep it supplied unless you go crazy with crafts (This is dumb, mechanisms are useful and more valuable, and making them skills up an engineer so you can have good traps). Do separate piles for fresh food objects like plump helmets and processed food objects like prepared meals and drink. Set up a pig tail stockpile near your farmer/weaver/clothesmaking node. Cloth stockpiles are useful, but disallow thread from it. It weighs next to nothing and doesn't clutter the loom so leave it there.

Your blocks and your bars should be kept separate. Toss coke and charcoal in with the metals. Store flux separate to regular stone, and near the metals. I generally do flux and ores together. I keep blocks closer to the surface in case I want to build something up there, and a second pile down near the entrance to the mines if I want to wall something off. Livestock are annoying. Unless you have a pressing need for milk or yarn simply butcher them and turn them into more useful bone, leather, and meat.

And most importantly of all: remember the Z axis is a thing. If your fort isn't spread over at least 5 floors, you are doing it wrong.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
I love me some aquifer. Great for infinite power in a nice safe indoor area. Also great for drowning traps. Not like it takes long to breach one anyway (A game month you can use to have the rest of your dwarves do some logging). Try making an inland tsunami generator sometime :black101:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
To those unfamiliar with your terminology (me) the term "pancake" implies a spread out flat design.

I don't bother giving dwarven bedrooms corridors any more. They sleep in a 3x3x1 box, with a bed in the middle, a cabinet or coffer in each corner, and a door and doors on each wall leading to the next bedroom set up the same. A 3x3 central shaft with 8 up/down stairs arranged around the side and a hollow core (I like throwing things down the middle with a dump to get supplies to deep expansions), stick 24 rooms around it each floor and you are set. Also provides a bit of exploratory mining on each floor so you can tell what minerals are there if you decide to go digging for anything there.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jothan posted:

<adventure mode stuff>
You left out an important note about combat training. The material and quality of your weapon have an effect on how quickly you will learn. Better weapons slow learning down.

This is simple, really. A better weapon will remove limbs and exsanguinate your enemy, thus depriving you of a training dummy. As a result, with an edged weapon you'll eventually start winning combat in a few attacks, which makes a mess of your hopes to get your skill up to Legendary and beyond. As a result I suggest wooden weapons for training and, if you are bold enough, actually engaging in deadly combat with your mighty foes. A wooden sword can easily deliver a knock-out blow, but leave your victim alive for ease of stabbing and clubbing. Just be careful because wooden swords can cause severs of the hands and feet if you aren't careful.

Skill is important because different attacks have difficulty ratings on the attack selection screen. A higher skill lets you make progressively more difficult attacks successfully more reliably. At Legendary+50, you can reliably engage in combat dentistry against difficulty "Impossible". It also means you can knock out dragons with your wooden sword and strangle them (This is hilarious). FYI: A dragon does not appear to be killable with a wooden short sword. I gave up after about four in game days of beating it around the head.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

alphabrawl posted:

:iit:

Does this mean I won't get any migrants and there'll only be four dudes left at the mountainhome?
You'll get up to 11 historical migrants. Starting dwarves are randomly generated. You may get generated additional migrants depending on if that count is only counting living historical figures, or if it is also including the greater population of the civ which is non historical. Nope, you have a shitload of goblins. Congratulations. Rebuild Dwarven civilization!

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

when the gently caress is the update with all this happening

From this months report:

Toady One posted:

It's technically possible that we could get a Dwarf Fortress release by the end of the month, and I've written everything out on a theoretical daily schedule that would make it, but I suspect bugs, non-DF hassles and other issues will drag it out by a bit. We're doing well though, in terms of not having another giant multi-year wait.
So probably June, maybe July.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

axelsoar posted:

I am the dumb, that is a great idea.
If you do two doors next to one another you can lock both of them and confuse building destroyer pathfinding. They check to see if the spot beyond a destroyable object is pathable, but not to see if what occupies that tile is also destroyable, so a second locked door makes them go "nope, can't get through there" and not try. They can still random wander into it and destroy it though, so better have that drawbridge raised.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
How many docks do you see built at water level? They are raised precisely for the wave reason, and also because boats extend up out of the water a ways. Build your pathways at Z+1 and if you absolutely must put access to Z=0, add stairwells to the sides that you can build down off it.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

This actually ended up coming in handy

Now that werezebra is cursed to turn into a dwarven wrestler every full moon :(

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

necrotic posted:

Use increasing priorities as you go down. Layer-1 is h at the highest priority, Layer-2 is h at 2, etc... zero cave ins. I do it a lot.

Alternatively, for some fun: simply dig out each level (leaving the floor), then channel the outer edges of each floor except for one tile connecting a path out. Put pillars in each level except the bottom, attach them all to a single lever. Now block off all the entries and pull the lever! This method does take longer than simply channeling out like above, but boy howdy is it fun!
You only need to cut off the top floor. When it falls it will smash out all the other floors. It was how I would dig my pit moats in 40d. Just make sure you don't have something you want to keep under it. Poor fort planning led to a 50%+ fort dwarf fatality rate when I did that once.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just cap my population and embark on a 3x3. It is more than enough space for me to do whatever the hell I like. Butcher/cage all the animals, make some sweet digs. A well designed fortress can run a lot of industry with 40 adult dwarves.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
If I'm being fancy I just dig a spiral ramp. Back before Toady fixed up the soil not being farmable terrain bug, I simply would dig down to the third cavern layer and set up shop between it and the magma sea right off the bat, and dig a really long ramp set so the wagons could reach me down there.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Met posted:

Does anyone else donate and go for the ASCII/Story rewards? The wiki pages aren't updated as much as I'd expect from the money they're pulling in.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/ASCII_Art_Reward/M-S#Met
I have two complete stories and a third in progress. I may post them again at some point.

Edit: Ah what the hell. I've done a little to help the formatting of the stories in order to make them a bit more understandable when sending them over chat clients.

Story request was "Fell Mood". Opens with perhaps the best line ever.

quote:

|%+++@+|

“You will obey me,” said the plump helmet resting on Bidok’s shelf.

The crazed dwarf held his hands over his ears. But the words sank home in his fracturing mind. To create the ultimate artifact, the plump helmet must have blood. Bidok tore at his beard and moaned. There was no future. There was no past. Now was murder.

The sheriff of Talltower lounged at the forge, showing his biceps to the ladies or any who would look at him. A small dwarf ran up and whispered in his ear. Another body was found floating in the irrigation channel, headless, like the rest. The sheriff snarled and called for a meeting of the captains.

“It’s not a goblin,” said Captain Ermis. “Goblins always leave the weapon with the body.”

“Then it's one of us,” said the sheriff.

A dwarf barged into the room, lacing up his tunic. He took a seat at the table. “Did I miss anything?” asked Captain Bidok.

@@++@+++++||++++%|oooooooooo||

The two law dwarves looked at Bidok. He was a mess. His beard was unkempt, his tunic undone, and a red stain trailed down his shirt. At first Ermis thought it was helmet juice, but he knew it to be blood.

“Where did you get that bloodstain, captain?” asked Ermis.

The fell dwarf said nothing.

“Yes, Bidok,” said the sheriff, “where does that blood come from?”

Bidok raised a finger to his nostril and blew a fine red spray out of his nose.

“Freak,” growled Ermis.

No one liked, trusted, or really cared about Captain Bidok. He graduated the law academy at the bottom of his class. The only reason he got his post in Talltower was his noble father the Duke. Ever since then it had been a disaster.

Bidok drank heavily, even for a dwarf. He punished the innocent and let the guilty run free. His descent into madness would have been obvious if anyone paid attention to his wicked ways. As it was, no one wanted to look at the revolting dwarf.

The pile of skulls in Bidok’s closet reached almost to the ceiling. It was a delicate thing to open the door and place the newest one inside. Bidok looked to the shelf. The plump helmet watched him.

Furiously, Bidok washed his hands in the water basin.

“You are right to obey me,” said the plump helmet, “and you have been a good boy. There is only head left, and the construction can begin. It is that of Aliz, King of Talltower.”

@@@@@@@|@_@+@/+++++|#@/

“Congratulations on pulling guard duty on feast day,” said the sheriff. “Isn’t it that toad Bidok’s turn?”

“He ‘has a headache’,” said Ermis. “Probably drunk again. I tell you, one of these days I’m going to cleave his skull.”

The feast hall was packed, all the dwarves awaiting the arrival of the king. The war was over, a glorious victory for the dwarves. Banners trailed down from the ceiling and torches burned bright. Dwarven guards stood at attention, shining bright in adamantine armor.

Behind a banner, beside the throne, Bidok waited, a curved blade in hand. The royal procession arrived at the far end of the hall.

Captain Ermis lead the way in his red painted tunic, marching with his staff held high. Next came the King Aliz, riding resplendent on his sedan chair.

As the king took his seat on the throne, Bidok pulled the mask over his face. He felt an electric shock to his spine. The voices in his head grew louder. He leapt out from behind the banner and drew his blade across the king’s neck. With one mighty yank, off came the
head.

“S… Seize him!” cried Ermis.

+++@u+\@++

Ermis and the guard chased the assassin through twisting corridors. All around dwarves screamed and ran. Then Ermis saw him, Captain Bidok, stumbling down the hall carrying a large lunch bag. Ermis came to a halt in front of him. He poked his fingers into Bidok’s chest and looked him dead in the eye.

“If you have something to do with this, I'll drag you to the hammerer myself,” Ermis said.

Bidok burped up into the bag and looked up at Ermis sheepishly.

Disgusted, Ermis released him and resumed the chase. Bidok continued to stagger toward the living quarters, but when he cleared most of the crowd, he broke into a full sprint.

“You have been a good boy,” said the plump helmet. “And now you may begin the construction.”

A few days later, Bidok showed up in the guard tower. He was glowing with pride. Not only had he completed the construction of the ultimate skull goblet, but because of Ermis failure and subsequent demotion, he had been named Captain of the Guard.

No story request for this one:

quote:

,.,|u@@e|gBB.,.,

“You must remember,” said the old dwarf, “always to be a good boy.”

“Father,” cried Zanor, “I won’t let you go.”

“It is too late for me, son,” said Zanor’s father. “Remember what I
taught you.”

With that, the old dwarf died. Zanor lifted his eyes from the bloody corpse and stared across the battlefield at the goblin that had cut his father down. The leather-clad killer swiveled his bald head and met Zanor’s cold blue eyes. A instant of recognition passed between them, then the goblin ducked, narrowly dodging Zanor’s expertly placed
crossbow bolt.

Ignoring arrow and pike thrust, Zanor charged at full speed after the fleeing villain. He soon found himself behind enemy lines. Many goblin slaves and war trolls were just plain confused as they watched the dwarf warrior run by. Always Zanor’s eyes were on the prize and revenge, waiting for his long legs to trip up.

At last they reached a strip of dirt with many horizontal posts attached to great poles in the ground, a giant bat hangar. The goblin climbed onto one of the flying monsters, making ready to escape into the air. Zanor loaded his crossbow. It was all a matter of seconds now. The goblin launched into the air as Zanor lifted his weapon.

The dwarf took a deep breath.

Crack!

----

“Father?” asked Zanor.

“He keeps asking for daddy,” said a mean-looking goblin.

“We don’t usually take them this old,” said another goblin. “They never last.”

“Listen to him,” said the first goblin. “Surely you can turn him out.”

With the exchange of fifteen golden skulls, Zanor was sold. He awoke in a cage, rolling down a dirt path somewhere near Dark Mountain. He looked at the other prisoners in the wagon, elves, dwarves, goblins, all kids. Soon they would be in the lands of Tremoda, where the dead were said to walk. It was over. But how could it be, when his father’s killer still drew breath?

,.@,.@,.,|%%|g,.

For about a month, Zanor toiled in the shadow of Dark Mountain. He watched as his fellow prisoners were forced to fight in gladiator matches or were fed to wild beasts. It seemed that such a fate would soon befall all of them. Only the memory of his father, and insult to his honor, gave him any reason to go on living.

“You look particularly wrathful today,” said the girl.

Ejas had once been beautiful, but seasons in the goblin dungeon had left her gaunt and stretched. Zanor could just barely tolerate her. She was just another him between him and the wall. The politics of survival meant that he should trust no one, and that was just fine with him.

“It’s the fat goblin on watch today,” said Ejas. “Perfect time to make a break for it.”

“And why should I trust you?” asked Zanor.

“Because I am going first.”

Zanor reached out to grab her, but she was too quick. Together they ran toward the gate. The cart had just arrived with barrels of slop for the trolls, and it was Zanor’s aim to get some. He couldn’t remember the last time he had something decent to eat.

He watched as Ejas ran past the fat goblin and began scooping out turnips from an open barrel. As she fed the goblin ran after her. Now it was Zanor’s turn. He ran toward the cart, but stopped when he neared the open gate. It would be suicide to try and escape with all the archers on the tower, but somehow, he wanted more than just a turnip.

.TTTT,,g,,@./.@

It came one day that Zanor was shining a goblin captain’s boots when the call for war rang out. A hundred horrid trumpets sounded throughout the goblin compound. Slave masters called the captives to form a line against the barracks. Zanor stood and the goblin captain spoke to him.

“You are a good boy,” he said. “Stay on the left side of the line today.”

The hairy goblin dungeon master looked as if he could have been half troll. He stomped past where Ejas and Zanor stood and went to the right side of the line. One after another, he tapped the slaves on the shoulder with his cudgel. Just as he reached Ejas, he stopped and led the chosen into the dungeon from which no one returned.

“It seems I owe you one,” said Ejas.

“You owe him nothing,” said the goblin captain. “You owe me everything.” The captain pulled a knife from the sheath at his back and tossed at the girl’s feet.

“Kill him,” said the goblin, “and you are free.”

Ejas dove for the weapon, but Zanor slammed his knee into her face. He seized the dagger from her flailing hands and stabbed her once in the abdomen. She curled into a ball and grew still. Zanor stood and dropped the dagger next to the body.

“There is a place in the Army of Tremoda for men such as you,” said the goblin. As Zanor followed the goblin back to keep he stole a backwards glance at Ejas’s body. As the trolls lifted her up, her head rocked to the side and she gave him a wink.

@Tggggggg.,.@@@

Streaks of smoking matter fired out from behind the goblin lines, crashing amidst the army of the Nation of Man. Zanor stood upon the shoulders of a great grey troll. Out before him stood row upon row of goblins and assorted slaves, all bound by the power of the evil wizard no one ever saw. It didn’t matter. The goblins feared him, and that was the true nature of power.

Horns blasted and forward was the command. The evil forces moved across the open field toward a line of crossbow dwarves three deep. The goblins reached out and took death, an end to the cruelty and suffering that was their pathetic lives.

Zanor didn’t dread the end for he knew he could not die. Not until he had taken the life of his father’s killer. It had been many months, many battles, and there was still no sign of the goblin. The second volley from the marksdwarves caught Zanor’s troll in the knee. As the creature crashed into the ground, Zanor rolled off of its back and shielded himself behind its body. Another bunch of arrows flew over Zanor’s head, decimating the goblin troops behind him.

“Surrender!” came the call from the National lines. “Your death will be swift!”

“Ejas?” cried Zanor.

,U.@/,@

“Just kill the trog,” said the great blond warrior.

“No,” said Ejas. “I owe him my freedom and more.”

The warrioress held out her iron-clad hand. Zanor took it without question. It had been years since anyone had shown him the slightest bit of kindness or mercy. She could kill him right now and he wouldn’t mind, so terrible his life had become. The hatred that kept
him alive had twisted his soul and he had become just another pawn in Tremoda’s game. He had forgotten what he had come to live for.

“We found him,” shouted Ejas, over the din of battle.

“Who?” cried Zanor. They ducked low as a dwarven bomb exploded nearby tossing goblin bodies into the air.

“The goblin that killed your father!”

Everything became silent and clear, time slowing to a crawl. All Zanor could see was Ejas’s smiling face. Slowly the face darkened and changed into the semblance of the goblin killer, now laughing at Zanor’s plight. Zanor pulled his knife and lunged at the phantom. His breath was knocked out his lungs as the blond warrior tackled him
from the side.

“He is crazed,” said the fighter.

“Take him back to camp,” said Ejas. “There he will see reason.”

/@U,.@,UUUU\,.., ?gB? ?N?

“Father,” said Zanor.

“You will see him in time,” said Ejas. “But not yet.”

The war tent was loud and boisterous. The Nation of Man had won the battle. They need only advance and trap the dark wizard’s army in his tower. The key was Zanor, and the military plans of the enemy locked into his hallucinating mind.

“His name is Cirl Makda,” said Ejas, “ace bat pilot and hero to the other side.”

“How can I kill that which flies through the air?” mumbled Zanor in his feverish fit.

“The elves are testing a secret weapon,” said Ejas, “a giant bird that can match the giant bats in turning radius and rate of climb. You may be the first hero to fly one. Just give us the plans to the wizard’s tower.”

“I have never been to the wizard’s tower,” said Zanor.

The blond hero, who had been waiting silently by, kicked the table where Zanor had been lying and knocked him onto the floor. Zanor tried to scramble to his feet, but the warrior was on him in a second.

“Stop, Peacock,” shouted Ejas. “We need him. I need him.”

The warrior looked at her, questioning. Ejas approached the downed anti-hero.

“You will fly the giant nuthatch,” said Ejas, “and you will kill Makda, and the wizard as well.”

##gB###@N##

The howling wind rushed past Zanor’s ears. He could just barely make out Peacock’s voice as the giant birds soared through the air. As the battlefield passed under them far below, Zanor felt power and freedom. It seemed that Cirl Makda’s days were numbered.

“Watch your six,” cried Peacock. “There are bat riders everywhere!”

“Watch my what?” asked Zanor.

A pair of crossbow bolts struck Zanor’s bird in the wing, followed by a giant bat flying directly out of the sun. Such a dirty trick. Zanor pulled back on his reins to gain some altitude. Peacock spotted the bat and dove after him.

Now alone in the sky, Zanor pulled the bolts from his steed’s wing and kept going straight ahead for the wizard’s tower and the mission. Searching the sky for enemies, Zanor prayed that Makda would find him first. Let it be over.

The ballista bolts flew thick around Tremoda’s tower. Zanor loaded his crossbow, aiming to put a bolt through the wizard’s black heart. Flying over the castle, Zanor couldn’t make out his target. Just as he was about suicidal second pass over the tower, the ground fire ceased.

Ace Makda had seen some crazy pilots in his time, but none as wild as the bird rider that now circled his master’s fortress. It seemed a shame to shoot down a warrior so brave, but Makda wasted no time. He slapped his nightwing on the flank, threw his scarf over his shoulder, and dove.

@@@..|ggg#####gB#@N#>O<

Far above the battle, two giant bushtits flew. The wizard’s tower, Tremoda’s tower, was on fire. But still, the combined forces of the human race and its allies could not finish the job. The goblins seemed to crave death the way they fought on. Why didn’t they just
surrender?

“Peacock!” shouted Ejas over the roaring wind. “Where is Zanor? The dwarven sappers are almost to the castle gate!”

“There,” said the blond warrior, pointing at a pair of spinning specks down above the tower. “He does battle with Makda.”

“Makda?” cried Ejas. “Cirl Makda is here? Why aren’t you with him?”

“Look,” said Peacock. “His suicide mission has drawn the goblins away from the gate. It is the perfect time for the attack.”

“We must help him,” said Ejas as she turned into a dive.

Crossbow darts ripped into the nuthatch’s wings. Zanor’s bird couldn’t take too much more of this. The hero pulled back on the reins and brought the giant bird into a climb. Makda grinned while he loaded his crossbow one last time. It would be easy to hit the slow
moving target.

Fifty five bird pilots downed, and Cirl Makda could remember every one. When he was alone in the barracks he often recalled their faces. It brought him great joy that they were dead, and that he was the one that had killed them. This one before him now was brave, but foolish, an easy kill. Makda squinted his eyes as the nuthatch disappeared
into the blinding sun.

@,U.,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![g/@]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a signature move from Makda’s own playbook. The wounded nuthatch, badly damaged, soared up into the sun, where the nightwing followed blind. Then Zanor let gravity take over as the great bird swung around and dove, the nuthatch letting out a mighty chirp as
Zanor let Makda have it with a blast from his double-barreled crossbow.

Suddenly blinded by a splash of blood, Cirl Makda lost control of his mortally wounded steed and the two spiraled out of control, falling straight toward the wizard’s tower. Zanor calmly reloaded his weapon as the nuthatch dove after its prey. Makda leapt from the dying bat and grabbed a hold of the tower’s roof. Just as Zanor was about to squeeze the trigger, the whole ground exploded.

The dwarves cheered as flames erupted from every building inside Tremoda’s fortress compound. Ejas and Peacock circled above. Nothing at ground level could have survived the blast. The wizard’s tower was rocked to the foundation and was now unstable. Ejas could almost make out two figures atop of smoking roof.

It was Zanor and Makda, embracing at last in a dance of death. Makda held a long knife over his head, the blade pointed down at the Zanor’s neck whilst the hero held the goblin by the wrist, his other hand on the villain’s throat.

“I don’t have a shot,” shouted Peacock.

“Hold on,” said Ejas. “I’m going in.”

.,U,.@@,..~g~.

“You will die a traitor’s death,” hissed Makda.

The knife dug into Zanor’s throat. It was clear now that the dwarf boy would die, killed at the hands of his father’s slayer. Life sometimes deals us a bad hand, but this was just too much. Zanor struggled heroically but his strength was failing. Spittle dripped
from the goblin’s snarling lips. Zanor could feel blood trickling from his neck and he knew it was all over.

Screaming murder for the mission, Ejas launched from her diving bird and tackled Makda off the side of the building. Zanor stared in disbelief as the pair plummeted toward the burning ruins. A split second later, Peacock’s nuthatch slammed into him and snatched him off the roof. Together they dove toward the falling fighters with incredible speed as the tower collapsed.

The sound was deafening. Something in Tremoda’s tower was magically unstable, and when the tower fell, it exploded with the force of a thousand dragon fireballs. Every soldier within sight of the tower was blown off their feet. After the smoke cleared, the National
soldiers began to cheer. The tower was gone. The war was over.

“Ejas!” cried Zanor. “Ejas!”

Peacock and Zanor wandered through the grey, smoking ruins calling their dear friend’s name. They found Makda first. His broken body was lying limp across a pile of rubble. Zanor looked on him without regard. Now he only cared for Ejas. They found her lying on top of a dead nightwing, wounded, but still breathing. Zanor took her hand and she opened her eyes.

“Zanor,” she said. “We made it. We are free forever.”

Pickled Tink fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kennel posted:

I don't think alcohol had any effect on anyone before the upcoming version.

E. Except the happiness
Well, you could grab a handful of dwarven beer or any other beverage and beat a person to death with it in adventure mode. It was one of the sillier ways to murder someone.