Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
So I havent played this in god knows how many years, apparently you can drop people onto upright spike pits and itll spike them properly instead of needing to be on the tile when the trap is activated? This opens up a lot of possibilities.

Also wheelbarrows and mine carts :stwoon: I'm very excited to play again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

So Math posted:

Spiking also doesn't give them ungodly amounts of training if they survive, which was a bug for a while.

Does that mean you can't carpet your barracks with training spears and have your dwarves dodge constantly as they train? or is that something seperate?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Sad that danger rooms were nerfed, but happy everyone still calls them that :allears:

The steam version is looking absolutely gorgeous, it was seeing screenshots of it that made me redownload the game :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Scarodactyl posted:

...OK actually maybe don't it's been ten years and they don't look so good anymore

WRONG

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I had a kobold thief sneak in and try to steal a legendary hematite scepter that I lazily left in the trade stockpile. I have two entrances, one normal one with two 18x3x1 pits with drawbridges over them, the other one looks like a Saw/Takeshi's Castle crossover.

I hit the bridge lever to cut off the kobold and force him to use the other tunnel, where my axedwarves will wait in ambush, but guess what dumbass skimped out and used poor quality mechanisms on his vitally important security system! :suicide:

The kobold gets past the first bridge just as the military gets on the scene, one plucky recruit dashes out after the kobold, but just as the kobold nearly passes the second bridge, the mechanisms FINALLY latch, and the bridge hurls upward, turning the kobold into a fine mist and a pool of blood.

The recruit also fell and injured his arm, but laying a few tiles away soaked in blood was the hematite scepter perfectly unharmed. He didnt do all that much but the barracks are getting some solid gold weapon stands in honour of his spirit

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Started a new map and saw I had sandy clay, hell yeah infinite spikes and pots! :toot: then after a quick lookup, sandy clay only counts as clay. Well at least I still get the pots.

Then I realized it was sandy clay loam, meaning I have nothing but disappointment :cripes: at least the woods are dummy thicc so it's not like I cant just churn out barrels instead

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
A few questions about newer features, since I'm pretty sure the last version I played was 40d :shepface:

-How important are guildhalls? I'm hesitating to accept guildhall petitions because the big "THIS PETITION HAS BEEN ABANDONED" makes me assume it either gave bad thoughts to dwarves or it blocked me off of something.
-Taverns. Is there any real downside to having a big tavern instead of a big meeting hall? (Also I like that the barkeep doles out drinks, and one of the peasants I figured was useless turned out to be a legendary musician :v:)
-Is it worth it to bring a dwarf with good axing and teaching skills because seriously these losers have been practicing with axes for like a year now and only a few got past dabbling.
-Aquifers are pretty great now, not really a question but I remember them being annoying enough to rummage through an initial file to delete the tag from everything.
-Long shot, any chance I can assign a wheelbarrow to a workshop? Its excruciating watching my Mason lug a rock he found god knows where as haulers speed by him with other rocks to the stockpile beside the workshop with literally hundreds of rocks god DAMMIT Bomrek

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I like the monster hunters that show up, rent a room, explore and map the underground cave for me, then wind up in my corpse stockpile a week or so later :v: We'll engrave a slab for you, buddy, thanks for finding all the hematite

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Holy poo poo tilesets have evolved over the years :vince:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It just feels so wrong having a squad with less than ten people :saddowns:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's not a bad idea but once you figure out the magical button combination that actually gets your dwarves to start training (I genuinely forget what it is offhand :shepface:) you can basically sequester off ten cheese makers who turn themselves into axe tornadoes for the price of ten bars of iron and a few years

(Please also put armour on them but like, that didnt sound as good and also I'd have to do math)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:yeah:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Why on earth are you guys using teamspeak in a world where discord exists

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Zesty posted:

Hope people don't mind me posting what I find hidden in Discord and the forums about the Steam release work.

As someone who never has enough time to read discord, much less dive in to find the real good poo poo, I deeply appreciate it. God drat its shaping up wonderfully :allears:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I definitely remember a bug where you could strategically burn the fat off your dwarves, and once they were out of fat they were completely immune to fire and could safely traverse magma

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I do the thing where you use a magma proof bridge and break into the volcano from below because I'm a lousy cheat who wants his dang magma :colbert:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I refuse to believe the dungeon master wore cloaks in any way that would obscure the view of his pendulous junk :colbert:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I love how the solution to "sometimes my furnace operators move stone from too far away" is to Cask of Amontillado the miners :allears: I loving love dwarf fortress

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Khanstant posted:

what's this?

Phone posting so I cant draw a diagram, but a z level below where you want to breach, build ramps up against the volcano wall and build a magma proof bridge over the gap it made. Seal off the magma tunnel and designate the breach area for mining. Since the dwarves cant stand on the bridge, they'll stand under it on the ramps and dig out the wall without any danger of lava touching them. It's not TECHNICALLY cheating but it's definitely not intended :v:

Plus it just feels REALLY good to watch a five tile wide magma river flowing i

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Gnoman posted:

It wasn't just the skill growth being uncapped that was once a problem. In the 40d days, stats grew based on any skill increase, so you could become very strong by being a legendary+20 gatherer. Starting with the 2010 release, every stat had a list of skills that would boost it, greatly curbing growth.

Hell yes I remember sending out my bookkeeper to bust up raids because he spent all day grinding administration skills and gaining Hulk-like strength as a result :allears:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Cardiovorax posted:

Is that a flying penguin in the top right there?

Are you Small Pastry-ing a puffin

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Sounds like Elf talk to me, son

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm excited to be the elder dwarf to all the newcomers, regaling them with stories of the days before Z-levels, or the scourge of landwalking zombie carp, or even just how a wild goat and a goblin whip wielder looked exactly the same until one of your dwarves' hand flew off

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I really miss chasms, it was nice having somewhere to biff your garbage or divert water without atomsmashing it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

7c Nickel posted:

The thing is these existed in earlier Z level versions! I don't know why he took out surface Chasms and Pits since they were always my favorite embarks during 40d.

They stopped fitting once the world started having an actual bottom. As funny as an instant path to the circus on embark would be on paper, it would probably be less fun in practice

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/spacecoyotl/status/1597314418995793921

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

quote:

Some thoughts on the planned "map rewrite" arc of development in the distant future:
- Hoping to bring back some of the nice feeling from the 2D era for the underworld

God I hope so, one of the things I miss most is the bottomless chasms

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The French Army posted:

One of those tracks is titled Boatmurdered in dwarfish.

:black101:

:vince: Holy poo poo

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My favourite stage of Dwarf Fortress Newbie is the first time they see a baby "needs alcohol to get through the working day.” :allears: I super hope the steam version brings more newbies in

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I hope your window situation is better this time

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Dorf

And I cannot stress this enough

Fort

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Hempuli posted:

Same with yellow text:

17.9 kb

This one's my personal fave

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/tyreforhyred/status/1599515069112778752?t=NYpGTH0U2g7dEjm0fgIzNw&s=19

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Ten hours :tem:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Anyone find a way to get the game to pause/zoom when stuff like migrations show up? I legit keep missing them until I notice the number shot up

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Aero737 posted:

There is an announcement.txt file in \steamapps\common\Dwarf Fortress\data\init where you can change how notifications are handled.

:toot: thanks!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
An immigrant showed up with Legendary Musician, but a profession of Miller :smith: poor guy

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Omnicarus posted:

honestly would be much better if you could play Elves or humans not everyone wants to play Dwarves.

What the hell is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
*throwing darts at the Twitter Discourse dartboard*

[thwap] Dwarf Fortress is... [thwap] Classist because... [thwap] Steam release