Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Don't worry! As soon as the next update comes along, there will be so much more to see and do and... :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Feel the weight of a three paragraph devlog!

Toady One posted:

I decided to try to haul a backpack of black zircons from the fortress of Whirllancers to Paddletaker on the other side of the mountains, six world map tiles away. The broker was at the depot (they aren't nearly as tardy as your own brokers), and I made the first deal... I think I traded my socks and trousers, maybe more. The tunnel opened out into the first cavern layer, which was watery at this point, so it was actually a large bridge over a pool. Guards were milling around, but before long I was all alone with only the various funguses to keep me company. The tunnel has a smooth and civilized floor, but it is often open to the underground wilderness. In fact, I was accosted by a wild troll at the first corner. Managing to skewer it, I carried on. There was another bridge... and a cave crocodile decided to attack, providing more food for the journey.

I hit the first stairway down to the deep dwarven settlement of Fissurerampart around that time, but I didn't have any business there so I just wandered around a bit and moved on. The tunnel was much more enclosed in this area, probably because there was a lot of water, but I'm not sure, since it was enclosed. I know in one of the open bits I heard a gremlin shouting for help, but I didn't see him, and wasn't too inclined to help a gremlin anyway, since they never did us any favors. The only intersection in the journey was around there -- a westward passage to Rosetower. Their depot was closer, but I couldn't offload my black zircons there -- 30 years before it had been taken over by a mint-green noseless porcupine, and it still lived there. After the stairway to Machinewalk, I got thirsty for the only time, but I had some water so that was fine. Then came the stairways to Magicvessels. The tunnels opened up again, and I met a gorlak. We exchanged some words, but he didn't have a lot to talk about so I continued on. Finally, I knew I was nearing the end, since there wasn't a dead-end and I had just spent two hours debugging a dead-end around there. I got the jump on another cave crococile and stabbed it from behind... then a short walk and up to Paddletaker.

Now, I've been remodeling a bit and it is sort of empty up at the entrance, and there's still some weird dirt and so on, so don't mind the map, but all the same, this is what I found up there. All of the dead dwarves are not part of the remodeling... and I wouldn't include elven soldiers either, though they seem to have done some remodeling of their own. They didn't mind that I was there. Apparently this was the second army that was sent after the massacre to occupy the site (very non-elfy...) for the Parched Wasp, so they weren't overtly hostile. I'm not sure when the initial invasion happened, since I didn't listen to the rumors before I left from Whirllancers. It could have happened any time during the previous two weeks before my adventure. The elves told me that there had been a "dispute over the treatment of plants".

Sounds fantastic, especially considering you can leave fortresses you've made and they'll still be run by AI, you should be able to trade for good gear now!

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Vengarr posted:

You guys want to solve everything with magma.

I had an idea for a broiler room. Floor made of steel grates, two reservoirs of magma and water directly beneath separated by a magma-safe floodgate. When the invaders step on the pressure plate, the doors seal and the floodgate opens. :supaburn:

As far as I know, steam doesn't hurt people like it used to, now it's just a gentle cleansing. You could put your dwarves in the steam room instead, maybe they'd like it!

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

nielsm posted:

You should probably mirror images you want to share from places like that. (They referrer-blocked it so nothing shows up for others.)

Haha, that's excellent, all it's missing is a dwarf skeleton at the bottom of that river.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Yeah, I do that too. 2x1, coffin, engraved slab over it when the corpse is placed inside. It's fun!

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Maybe there will be a functional and logical UI!

:smith:

:yohoho:

Maybe next year!

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

sum posted:

:siren: The new version of the Dwarf Fortress devlog has been released :siren:

:argh: The last couple didn't get me, either!

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Has anyone tried cutting down a tree in front of an elf? I wonder if they would break down into tears.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

super fart shooter posted:

There's a giant sponge near my embark that's perpetually overcome by terror. It doesn't seem to be having the same effect on my creatures though! It's nice to finally give some back to those things

I ran across two giant sponges in adventure mode, I was just walking down to the river when I heard some screaming. Turns out they hated each other and kept yelling at the other to surrender, or the occasional "Let's stop this pointless violence!" followed by a "Never!" Stuck eternally, next to someone you hate more than anything, unable to do anything but sling insults at each other.

Also as I took a running jump over the river (which was hella rad) the sponges saw me and for a moment were surprised. "What's this, are we under attack?" "An ambush!" Or something like that.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Okay, now the questing system has been completely overhauled, and you need guides. The issue is that getting a guide is also tied to the party limit. This is rather infuriating.

Also, how does one go about starting a conversation with a specific person? I can only shout at everyone at once, or the Deity.

When you press k you can then move your selection area, as if you were examining something. I had trouble with that same thing at first too!

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Iunnrais posted:

I'm guessing you belonged to an entity that had wronged her entity before? I think Toady mentioned something like that happening in one of the old dev logs, except involving wildlife.

I had something slightly similar, I got two party members and stumbled upon some goblins living in what I will assume is a hill dwarf hut. They were friendly enough, so I decided to start chatting one up, I got off a "Greetings!" and as soon as I did my bowman shot the goblin in the face and killed him instantly. The other goblin in the room was shocked but didn't do anything.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

So what does Dwarf Therapist actually do, anyway? Is it just for jobs of people? I never found that very tedious, guess I'm lucky. :v:

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Archonex posted:

Suffice to say that the place looked hilariously hosed. I considered just walling the underground portion of the fort itself off to let them all murder each other instead of trying to regain control of the underside.

:stonk: Wow, that's amazingly cool. Maybe I should get back to playing some Masterwork while I wait for a couple more bug fixes.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Was watching a livestream when the player's companion suddenly said this:

Pretty goddamn hardcore, also surprised there's extra dialog if the person you are talking to is related to whoever they want you to kill. I really, really love this new dialog system.

Also the same companion said right before this her niece was murdered by some night creature, so this person has not had the greatest of lives.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Who What Now posted:

All my dorfs live in 2x2 rooms each with their own bed, chest, and cabinet. And a door. And they like it, drat it.

I think I've said this before, but I feel the most efficient room is a 4x4 room, with a bed in every corner. Four dwarves will all get their own 2x2 sections of the room, and you can give them a cabinet if you want. Also, added value that since everyone sleeps like this, vampires get found real easy.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

The Droid posted:

I wonder what will be the "overall" focus of the next development arc. Military stuff? Night creature expansions?

Probably stuff related to groups moving around the world map, since he worked so much on getting that to work. Taverns and inns finally, maybe. Which in an ideal world would lead into an economy revival..

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

So you're saying I should replace the waterfall in my dining room with lava?

Can dwarves have happy thoughts from a lavafall?

If you throw a goblin in there every couple of minutes, sure, probably.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

LCS is probably the best game you can recruit prostitutes with from crack houses in, have them seduce judges, and then kidnap and brainwash them before anyone misses them,(brainwashing minigame is really weird) and fill the entire courtroom with sleeper agent judges so you are free to commit any crime.

Also something about freeing the country from evil republic grip, I never get that far. More of just a normal crime squad really. :v:

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

I find Dwarf Therapist to be a needless complication most of the time. what in god's name am I
correct and cool

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

scamtank posted:

MORGEN LOGEN DEVELOPISCHEN

:unsmigghh:
Dwarf Fortress 2015: Those that have the misfortune of signing up for dwarven life can now emotionally process the experience
Maybe a bit long.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

scamtank posted:

The latest project has been to :siren:improve performance:siren:
...feedback -- where exactly you are in the composition/form, what other performers you walk in on mid-act are doing, mistakes made by performers, and some more information about dwarf mode performers so you have an idea of where they are in their activities.
...Oh. :v: That kind of performance.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

stephenfry posted:

can anyone get me an account token for dwarffortresswiki.org?

e: nice bannable 0content responses, my question stands. At least explain how I am dumb for asking for a registration token on a related wiki that posters here probably already have accounts on.
\
ee: hah no I see, gently caress me for using a non-desktop user agent. consider yourself unpsyducked. Let my pusillanimous failure stand as testament of use to pretty much no-one.
:captainpop:
please don't edit the wiki it's got enough crazy as it is

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Aww yeah simulate that sizet

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Really liking the small changes to stuff in Fortress mode, like being able to set priority levels to mining designations, the "Do this now!" button in workshops to force your dwarves to rush important stuff ahead of whatever else you have, having workshop orders tell you what's lacking if you can't make an item.. Someone told me that someone told them that getting your dwarves to use archery stuff is easier but I haven't tested that yet. Also I've got a bunch of travelling adventures in my tavern, "The Spongy Maggot" sharing stories and talking to my dwarves, it's pretty rad. Planning to build the a giant library soon!

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Gibbo posted:

Does this post have ridiculous amounts of whitespace for anyone else?
Pay close attention to the area under the avatar

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

Eh, Toady's probably just got sick from GDC. I hope we can set a 'max' for things, like 'you can stop making beer when we have XXX amount, and resume when we don't'.
This would change the game so much for me

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Have you considered magma, nature's butcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

I'm partial to a drowning chamber myself, if you've got good access to water and low access to morals