Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Captain Mediocre posted:

What is he a 'doctor' of exactly :raise:

http://youtu.be/ujbvpdsKSkE (warning: goofy cartoon nudity)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I thought that was mentioned in a devlog as being for when you cut off some horse chops from the horse corpse and then it gets reanimated by a necromancer or similar effect.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

I've made a huge mistake

Oh no! Green blobs!

:confused:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

unwantedplatypus posted:

Just decided to get back into this game for the new release.

Decided to use a cave-in to bypass the aquifer on a terrifying forest biome. A child removes the floor holding everything in place. He gets hit by debris, falls into the newly-formed hole, and drowns in the aquifer. One of my miner dwarves is too horrified at the body to do his job.

What have I done? :ohdear:
Use a lever-operated support to collapse stuff in the future.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vengarr posted:

Wha...? I didn't know that.

So you can't put a gemstone in the pommel of your masterwork longsword, but you can bake that poo poo into arrows that will inevitably be wasted plinking at some Kestrel Man?

I can just see it now. "A thief! Protect the horde from skulking filth! Shoot diamonds and rubies at him until he goes away!"

I think the idea is you then hand them to the next caravan in exchange for all their stuff.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Also don't forget that a room sharing tiles with another room cuts value by something like 1/4th.

No matter how many rooms are using that same tile, so if you make a few nice statues to put in the middle o your dorm and then make every bed a room covering the entire area and the statues the dwarves will probably think it's pretty neat.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

trashcangammy posted:

Yeah I'm gonna set up 30 or so cage traps they have to run through. Once I'm more established I'll probably use more sophisticated setups but these guys show up before I have a decent squad together. If these cage traps don't work I'll go apeshit.
Don't forget to put some weapon traps behind them if they fill up all the cages.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dashticle posted:

Weapon traps seem to be way less effective than before too - an enemy with enough dodge will trigger the trap and get away, leaving anyone following to get through fine until the trap resets.
I thought weapon traps worked all day unless they got clogged with enemy bits?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Do you have a furniture stockpile they're not being moved to? If so I think the game doesn't check them because they have a job to be taken to them queued, so they're "taken", but if nobody's actually moving them...

Try putting one-tile furniture stockpiles under them and see if you can build forges.

Alternatively, how are they "not working"? Are no dwarves going near them? Check if they're still accessible. Maybe you blocked off a stairway somehow or a tree grew in a soil layer tunnel blocking it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

El Disco posted:

If the pack animal falls unconscious for even an instant, it drops everything it was carrying. You do get blamed for the loss, but that looks like dwarven poo poo. There aren't any consequences for that, as you'll never be sieged by your own civ.
I think their profit/loss affects how many pack animals/wagons show up next year, actually.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I'm still okay with being able to fish in a well they built, though. Progress! I'm not sure how turtles survived going through three screw pumps, but I'm not going to argue.
I'm pretty sure you can fish in a pond they filled with buckets with no connection to any other water sources for years.

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Digging into the ocean is not that great of an idea, not if you don't know yet when the thaw is.
Dig almost to the ocean, then finish it off just after it freezes.

Dreggon posted:

is it also valid to make a full set of masterwork steel armor for every dwarf
I don't think you can make enough squads to assign everybody armor in. I think you can make dwarves in squads wear their armor when they're wandering around doing civilian stuff, though? Maybe?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I've done it before.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

This is good, but I set it up so that the outdoor farms/pastures can be cut off as well if necessary.
Or build a ceiling over them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Embark over an aquifer. Dig through it. Open it up from below. Route the resulting downpour wherever you want. Drain it out through the caverns.

FUN!
You left out the "watch your FPS die" step.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Are you sure you can make minecarts turn on ramps?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Neurion posted:

Huh. Unless Toady changed something from 0.34 to 0.40 I don't think that's the issue. In 0.34 I had forts fed by meals made solely from cave croc eggs. I had so drat much of them that they became my primary export.
I think he did. I know 4-booze roasts used to be a remarkably good way to feed your fort. And also buy out entire caravans.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Strudel Man posted:

You know, eat_sapient may actually be more trouble than it's worth. When you can do it, you feel compelled to butcher all of your invaders for meat and bone, resulting in more than you can possibly consume and clogging up your barrels with meat and/or prepared meals, thereby locking you out of brewing.

I just dumped ~500 meat and a similar amount of tallow down a volcano, and I feel much better for it.
Make meals out of it and sell it to the next caravan that comes by.

Mystery Prize posted:

Well that was interesting. I had a fairly promising fort going; defeated several forgotten beasts with no real issue, strong military, working on a stupid megaproject. Until I ran into a forgotten beast comprised entirely of liquid fire.

It showed up in the first level of the cavern, immediately lighting all of the floor fungus and mushroom trees on fire. One of my marksdwarves took a shot at it, killing it instantly. I figured that would be the end of it; it would torch everything it got near, but no more harm done, right? And that's when one of my peasants got the brilliant idea to go recover the corpse.

Cue Urist McPeasant picking up an object quite literally made of ignited napalm and running it into my butcher's shop. He got halfway into the fort before he realized he was now !!Urist McPeasant!!, dropped the corpse and ran around my entire fort while on fire, lighting everything ELSE in my fort on fire.

In retrospect I should probably have just locked the doors, but I was too dumbfounded to think of it.
This is why turning on the "Forbid fresh corpses" option or whatever it's called is a good idea.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Picks are hilariously powerful in a skilled miner's hands. A roc showed up at my fort and got one-shotted by a legendary miner who happened to be hauling things on the surface. Same thing happened to a minotaur at a previous fort. Not bad for dorfs with no combat skills.
Isn't Mining the combat skill for using a pick?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah this lets you neuter kittens before they can breed and get a catsplosion going.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I wonder if you can make things reproduce by the spore behavior again.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Iunnrais posted:

Probably not. Besides, if there were any cut game behaviors that I'd want back, spores would not top the list. I want "Elephants Never Forget... REVENGE" back, where all creatures of the same species used to share a single hostility tag, so that once you upset a single animal, all animals of that species would thirst for your blood forever after. Actively hunting you down. It was what made Elephants "a thing".
I was going to say "what about creatures that are like, walking mushrooms" except yeah, being able to throw that on some random species would be pretty cool.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Warbird posted:

Also, If I'm making a well for a hospital (piping in water from umpteen Z levels up), is having the min and max trigger for the pressure plate to close the gate going to cause any problems?
You can push the water through a pump to change the pressure level to the level of the pump. And I think pushing it through a diagonal still depressurizes it.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 9, 2014

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Get your loving head in the game Scamps. :mad:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

18 Character Limit posted:

Yeah, because no one would abuse the magma smelter/leggings/axe blade mechanic.

*cough*
Do those melt down into more metal than went into them?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Didn't the latest version add an ability to designate "mine this section, then this section, now this section" up to like 7 categories? Use them to designate from the inside out.

I remember a patch note that said Toady had fixed dwarves channeling what they're standing on too.

EDIT: Also yeah, channel the top layer as the FIRST step, then once that's done hit the second layer, repeat until you hit the level you want it at. The "don't do this until that is done" designations should help with this too!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

VDay posted:

Wait, as in no matter how much pressure there is coming in if you make it go into your reservoir through a diagonal it won't flood a higher level? Or am I reading you wrong?

Hmm guess so. Just double-checked the wiki and somehow totally missed that in the well guide. Good to know.
Pumping it through a screw pump does the same thing, and is less likely to have its behavior suddenly changed in an update. Significantly more complicated to set up, of course.

Moridin920 posted:

If you're a paranoiac like me you would also put a bridge in the aqueduct going from the surface water to your cistern so you can block it off when your cistern has water. Extra points: put a pressure plate in it near the bottom set to keep the bridge open if there's no water on the plate - refills automatically.

This will prevent invaders who can swim somehow getting in there and then getting in the fort through your well.

It's gotta be a bridge though, building destroyers will break a floodgate down.
A floodgate that's only open if there's no water in the cistern also seems useful, now that you bring it up. How do you hook that up?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I wish you could make traps that fire serrated discs in a direction. So instead of just having the goblins march through weapon traps, you have them march down a narrow corridor until one of them steps on the pressure plate and a barrage of *green glass large, serrated disc*s down the hallway, cutting through goblins and shattering to kill other goblins.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That's why you do it in an enclosed area obviously.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I thought the game didn't have excrement in it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

scamtank posted:

qualitative anapaestic hexameter
... okay.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Isn't cave adaptation one way? Once a dwarf has it, always throwing up in "sunlight"?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I should probably divert most of my farmers to produce non food plants and just leave a plot or two growing helmets. Is there any way to manually wet ground for farming with a bucket or something? I kinda want to start an outdoor farm, but moving the water up a z level via pumps doesn't quite seem worth it.

I don't think farming works on outdoor biomes with stone ground anyway.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Also if you're trying to muddy soil you don't need to.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

I want to sell them, but they currently contain pretty much all of my food, drink, and everything else I need to survive, :(

Eh... gently caress it. I can buy a poo poo ton of food from the caravan, I have a turkey farm/chicken farm for eggs and meat, and I have a working well and a ton of plump helmets to brew drink. Worth it to be rid of the barrels, I guess.
Quantum dump all your food onto a single tile food stockpile and it'll be out of barrels and in somewhere it won't rot. Then you can put it in new rock pots.

I don't think you can keep the booze in barrels this way though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Wow, apparently all those useless shrubs outside my fort were raddish, potato, spinich, and quinoa plants. Guess I'm gonna need a few more floors of food stockpiles. I wish I could stop increasing my food production. I have more than I'll ever eat, but I keep adding more and more. I'm predicting that my fort will end when every z level is a full food stockpile and there's no room for anything else.
Have you heard the good word about automatic minecart-powered quantum stockpiles?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

necrotic posted:

I didn't think QSPs worked on prepared food or drinks. Have I been wrong this whole time?
Hm. I don't know if it'd work on drinks, can you fit a barrel into a minecart? Loose prepared food should work fine though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

I am pressing the WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE link

e: I mean I can read the wiki but up to now I hadn't really messed with minecarts because they seem to be a tremendous nuisance
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Exploit#The_Minecart_Stop

Fortunately this doesn't require any of the complicated stuff, just a single tile of track and a track stop to transfer between two adjacent stockpiles!

Apparently however this is likely to attract flies and other vermin? Oh well, you can either get some cats to hang around it or use it to compact your storage of everything else instead.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

Well, actually ~OVER 9000~ logs might be causing some overhead, but turning it into 9000 fuel or 9000 masterwork beds isn't going to help that. I've also heard smashing stuff won't actually remove it from internal tracking either, so uh :shrug:
I've heard that smashing it with a drawbridge doesn't, but some other methods like throwing it into magma (if it's not magma-safe) do.

Using it up as ash or fuel for making other things should, hopefully, remove them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

e: In a rather amazing moment of pure Dwarf Fortress What The gently caress, a magma crab just climbed out of the caldera of the volcano - onto the glacier ice - which melted - so the crab plopped into the water, making a nice cloud of steam - which immediately froze again, because hey it's pretty goddamn cold here. Bye crab :wave:
That seems fine right up until it refreezes to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Creature and environmental temperatures are both dynamic -- presumbly enough of the crab's heat dissipated in the freezing environment, preventing it from melting more ice. :science:

I also expect that freezing killed it, and that dead crabs don't maintain homeostasis.
Yeah, I meant that the tile the crab made out of lava was in freezing while the superhot crab was still in it.