Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Trying bit by bit to get into this game which reveals its genius slowly af. However, apart from the little "aha!" moments of getting things to work as you think they should, the absolute BANGER that is Drinks and Industry coming on after I got a halfway decent Tavern up and running has been the biggest highlight by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
The game is finally starting to become a lot more fun after starting and ditching about 40+ fortresses as I've made mistakes or just haven't enjoyed the layouts or forgotten about them and can't remember where I left off.

For any other newbies who are struggling to break into this game, I've found this guide to be very helpful: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2899235556

In addition to Blind and Ic0n on YouTube who are both excellent. I know there are others but I find these guys very much my style, especially Ic0n.

As for my own take being someone who is a complete novice, I can see myself devoting a fair bit of time to DF now that I've gotten over the initial and somewhat brutal hump. It is vast to say the least. This game is simultaneously logical and completely illogical so break each of the many, many subsections down into bite size bits and learn what makes them tick. So, for example, setting up a kitchen and still might seem like the easiest thing but you can still fall into all sorts of trouble without even realising it. For me, an example would be forgetting to check that certain plants should not be used in cooking and instead only for booze or not adding new animals to the pasture zone when migrants arrive.

There is definitely a whole stack of initial tedium to get through but it starts to become worth it. It is essentially bullshit Lego city building for a bunch of erratic alcoholics topped off with genuinely hilarious randomisation but when it starts to click, it really feels very satisfying. I look forward to building better and better fortresses as I get deeper into the game.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Lpzie posted:

DF keeps winning. Anyone else agree?

I'm nearing the end of the novice stage of understanding this game and let me tell you, the whole 'losing is fun' mantra, whilst I imagine is true, needs to be a bit clearer about how that actually works.

Personally sepaking, I find there's a hump in the game where it decides to ramp up the insanity and it's at that point you have to think of it as a comedic simulator that you have only semi control over. You spend a lot of effort getting the early planning part right and are encouraged to get your bedrooms and booze sorted asap, then you have a bit of breathing room for a few migrant waves before some if the wilder stuff starts happening. And that's the bit where the magic of the game starts to reveal itself, at least in my opinion.

You still need to manage and mine and plan etc. but you start to let go a lot more as you're now juggling SO much stuff that you actually stop sweating it as much as there's only so much you actually can do.

I'm looking forward to improving at this game but it does ask a lot in the beginning. Having said that, I can completely see that once you have your industry, military, accommodation and all the rest sorted as second nature, DF offers a pretty incredible and very funny experience that's worth the effort.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Forgot to bury my deceased Fisherdwarf properly, who went insane after not getting the materials for his fey mood. Came back as a ghost and battered a child to death. This game...

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Have crossed into the 'intermediate' stage of Dwarf Fortress. Latest thing that happened of note was dropping a drawbridge onto a passing gorilla by mistake. No blood, no bones. Just bridge where there once was gorilla.

Other gorillas have entered into my fortress and been caught in the cage traps so I trained them up to be war gorillas but they reverted back to wild state and freaked out the other animals in the pasture by fighting everything. My biggest regret was reverting back to a previous save state instead of embracing this, lessons learned each and every time I play, I guess.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
So with over 100+ hours clocked in, I can say that I'm out of beginner territory and into intermediate. Get in.

You definitely need to hammer at it past a point to have more fun for sure and that usually begins when you get around 40+ dwarves in and have set up your industries and city a bit better. The problem this game has is that there are mini admin tasks to do for virtually every main bit of the fortress and getting to grips with their obtuse design staggers the imagination part, which is what makes the game fun.

I appreciate its depth and complexity but there are some seriously wonky things you have to do as a newer player. Obviously, when these become second nature they're not such a big deal so I don't consider it a long learning curve, more just 14 or so short, steep ones. The solution to this would be improvements on their in-game tutorial, for sure. I'm normally dead against hand holding but in this case, I think DF would really benefit from telling you how to properly set up and manage your dwarves better through a tutorial fortress where the game gets you to understand things like cloth production, farming, booze etc.

All that said, the game owns and I like it more every time I play it.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

No idea what that’s all about, OP

Blind released a video about a week ago titled something like "Rimworld has kneecapped DF" and talked a bit too seriously about how the new Rimworld DLC launch was going to dent the new / returning player numbers for Adventure Mode's release. Felt a touch salty, but whatever, Zach and Tarn are millionaires now as far as I can tell, happy and still loved by their fans so doesn't bother me.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
I didn't really know much about Dwarf Fortress and its creators, outside of a few mentions here and there in these forums and elsewhere. Then the Steam release hit and I got it on sale just because of the hype but it didn't really click for the longest time. Gradually, I got better at it and found out more about Tarn, Zach and the community in general. Then I found that they'd hit big sales numbers and was even happier I'd bought it. And now, as of last week, Tarn said the following about senior management in game companies:

"They can all eat poo poo, I think they’re horrible, and I think they’re bad people."

In short, the more I find out about the game and the devs, the more pleased I am with my purchase.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Clocks posted:

BlindIRL is also a streamer/youtuber guy. Didn't watch the video but I assume the salt is more because people like him are probably more affected than Tarn&Zach might be in terms of viewer interest etc.

Eh, not entirely sure about that. I just think he's very passionate about DF and feels a little bit like Rimworld has unjustly "stolen" a lot of its thunder, which isn't an entirely void argument but most people seem to think that the two can exist perfectly happily together. You know, despite Dwarf Fortress being the vastly superior game and all... just (semi)kidding!

I haven't actually sessioned Rimworld at all yet but have been meaning to this year; have heard it's very good and unless I'm mistaken, it's supposed to be a lot easier to manage on Steam Deck too, which is a plus.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's ridiculous to compare dwarf fortress to video games because dwarf fortress is the passion project of a madman that has spanned decades and promises to continue into mankind's distant future

I honestly think that now I've kind of cracked the fundamentals of early / intermediate play, I'll be playing DF forever, just like Slay the Spire. Not even Balatro, a game I love and arguably one of the most addictive in years has been able to push me away from playing it. Just a weird, wholesome, mad experience from two awesome creators.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Snooze Cruise posted:

Women prefered older partners and guys prefered younger. Also het women rarely instigated romances compared to like everyone else.

Wtf, is this still a thing in the game or has this been amended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

cheetah7071 posted:

I've had success with crossbow dwarves by setting a burrow where I want them to stand, and telling them to defend the burrow. It's kind of awkward, but it works great for getting them to fire through fortifications at something. Just make sure the burrow is right up against the fortification. Possibly even just a single tile.

DF workaround logic at its finest. I've only just got my head around the military stuff recently and even then, I'd say that's at intermediate level. Would be awesome if they finally get round to making crossbows work properly for sure.