Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong with my stockpiles and I’m about to nuke the lot of them and start over or start doing quantum barrels or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

reignofevil posted:

What seems to be the problem? Dwarves not bringing stuff to them? Too much stuff in them? Not enough rocks in the rock stockpile? Show me the stockpile I'll kick its rear end.

Edit- Just don't ask me to do anything with bags. Cursed things.

I created a finished goods and furniture stockpile and some rear end in a top hat keeps putting seeds in it or something I don’t know

Anyway I’ve decided the solution is two-part:

I will build an insane amount of bins and see if that helps and then I will dig straight down until I find a cavern full of ghouls to unleash on the fort or something

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

You were right, bins didn’t fix it, but I’m looking at the stockpile I hypothetically have set to take seeds for farming. I think this fort is hosed in the long run.

I keep taking on immigrants and it’s going to eventually overburden my meager farm, but I’ve got a lot of booze so I will soldier on.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

As it pertains to my stockpiles, well it wasn’t the dwarves being assholes. Anyway, the offending bags of seed are now where they should be.

Let this be a lesson to me about stockpiles.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Alright so I’ve mostly got my stockpile situation sorted out at this point. Mostly down to misconfiguration. I need to rethink my strategy there or at least give some consideration to quantum barrels because at least that solves the bulk of the problem and drives efficiencies in crafting stations.

The next problem is that I seem to have created a chain-reaction of madness / melancholy. I developed something of an infestation in one of the lower levels. I was scrolling through and thinking about what to build next when I noticed an extreme number of feral hogs had gotten into my mining area. If I had to guess there were probably about 30-50 of them.

In clearing them out it created something of a chase around the fortress which ended up with probably about 10 boars getting annihilated right in front of a dwarven child who proceeded to go completely mad, then died in a field. This caused his mother to be affected profoundly and enter a fugue state, ultimately being overcome by melancholy… which is now impacting the husband.

Anyway, I’ve prepared several sarcophagi for the inevitable, but now I’m thinking that I need a gate, or at least the dwarven equivalent of an AR-15.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

reignofevil posted:

A gate is good. Dwarves that you identify as soon to be berserk or otherwise too depressed to keep can be exiled and sent from the fort to fend for themselves (or if there's other available settlements they'll go live at one of those).

Well, I picked a fight with a necromancer tower instead of building a gate. Nine dwarves were sent, two returned. The seven didn’t die but they’re imprisoned. I’m working on training up their replacements in the squad to go rescue them. I also lost one of my artifacts, Treatymeals.

Anyway, I have no idea what I’m doing at all, but I’m doing it. This next sortie may seal the fate of the fortress and be an inflection point. I’m reasonably able to keep my dwarves fed and in booze, but I haven’t explored much of the rest of the systems.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Yooper posted:

I had a Squad of dwarves go on a Raid, but one of the dwarves was laid up in the hospital. 9 of them departed and never returned. The hospital guy is still in the hospital. I booted him from the Squad but they have not returned after a few years. Any way I can get them back or are they gone forever? I don't show any open Missions in the mission screen either, nor missing citizens.

Did you check to see if they were imprisoned?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

I was doing some plumbing work and accidentally dug into a river bed I hadn’t yet installed floodgates but I don’t think it would have mattered, the dwarf that cut through to the river died quickly and it quickly overwhelmed my cisterns and was flooding my basement. I have learned a lesson here.

Magma is next, but I think I better figure out fireproof materials.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

I have an Ettin in a cage and I’m trying to sort out what to do about that… he interrupted my plans of bringing magma up.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

I had an accident when I filled my cisterns that ultimately ended with a very muddy floor. Is there a way to clean that up?

Someone said if you deconstruct farms it would take them away but that didn’t work. Building thrones and removing them seems to work, but doing that tile by tile is going to suck. Is that the only way?

Anyway, the good news here is that I was correct to think “I should build isolation valves” into the system.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Tarezax posted:

Build a road over it and then deconstruct?

I will try this the next time I play, sounds like a good idea at least. I’ll do that while I think about how I’m going to bring magma up.

The downside here is I have to also deconstruct a bunch of furniture which is annoying but at least there is a pause button.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Light aquifers are pretty easy to deal with so people trying to sort that may want to considering looking at something like that. Tapping them and directing them to cisterns is reasonably straightforward, but if not just take a look at some of the quickfort designs.

The game makes a big deal of an aquifer being present, but unless it’s heavy aquifer it shouldn’t cause too many problems.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Harminoff posted:

Linux is done and out!

When did that happen? I’ve been running it via Proton for a while.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Harminoff posted:

Aug 17th on the beta branch.

Well I’ll be dipped, I’m going to have to check that out.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Skunkduster posted:

I am playing on a metal rich embark and have an abundance of copper. My bar/block stockpile is full and is causing my smelters to be deeply cluttered. I made 100 copper bins and have the stockpile set to maximum bins, but it is only accepting wooden bins. The copper bins are just sitting idle in another stockpile. The stockpile settings are to accept all bars/blocks and both "additional options" are enabld. Why are my dwarfs only using wood bins and ignoring the copper bins?

I dunno, but I made the leap to quantum stockpiles to save myself this kind of trouble.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

My most recent fort is sitting at around 120 dwarves and it’s killing my frame rate. It’s a relatively young world and the fort isn’t even that big.

I’ve killed a lot of goblins recently and I’m wondering if their gear being strewn about is somehow driving it. What’s the best way to deal with that? Minecart -> magma pool quantum dump?

Or am I just being whiny about <30FPS?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Nettle Soup posted:

Size of the world, age of the world, how many animals you have, how many dwarves you have, they all affect fps. Set your pop-cap to around 100, check that you don't have a billion cavern dwellers hiding out in a random corner of your cavern, and put "fps" into dfhack and look through the options it gives you. fix/stable-temp and clean all are good. Some of the commands really help, even if they are a bit cheaty.

I'm not sure about dumping items anymore, but I tend to trade it all away. Putting "leather" into dfhack, selecting all the quivers and armours and watching it all get dragged to the depot from where it's scattered is very satisfying.

Thanks, I had no idea DFHack actually had fps stuff. I’ll check those out and cap population and maybe exile some children. I have breached the caverns but haven’t spent a lot of time in them yet, but I had some projects in mind so I’ll see if I can stabilize the frame rate.

It was doing really well until the most recent migration wave.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

-Do caravans still bypass your map if they can't access the Depot when they spawn, like if the drawbridge is up?

You’ll get an alert that says they can’t reach the depot. If you lower the bridge before they leave the map they’ll head in, or at least that’s what happened to me.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Ah, you know, they didn’t bring wagons in just the broker and the oxen or whatever. I guess that makes a lot more sense.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Qubee posted:

Has the game still not added a way to select multiple items at once during embark / trading, or do I have to click 50 times to take 50 seeds with me?

You can create a default profile and edit them in a text editor, but in game? I don’t think so.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Wolfechu posted:

If it's a carryable artifact, I find assigning them as symbols of office to various nobles helps, though it's a crapshoot as to whether that noble will pick it up. If they do, people don't seem to try to steal it.

we’re talking about the teeth right

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

I welcome magic being added so long as it produces entirely unpredictable and potentially chaotic results akin to wand generation in noita

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

I was building a fort for later retirement/adventure mode stuff in my 500 year old world and things were going well minus a werecoati invader in year one. I trapped that guy without anyone getting got.

Unfortunately the weremammoth invasion of 504 didn’t go as well. Eighty dwarves were lost in the early spring. Only two remain uninfected. A new migrant wave just arrived. Even hellbeasts are no match for them.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Just embrace it and run a mammoth fort tbh that sounds dope

That’s the plan for now. If I keep getting migrant waves I’ll just slowly build up the weremammoth legion. I was wondering last night if the game simulates their transformations when I send them on expeditions…

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Well, now my weremammoth colony is haunted. I’m trying to drain the caverns into the magma layer to see what happens.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Alas, the weremammoth colony found the hidden fun stuff and was lost.

Rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Possibility 3 (what happened): I flooded the magma sea and was loving about in those z levels. I ran up against the semi-molten rock layer and was sorting out ways to deal with that when one of my idiot dwarves tapped an adamantine vein which triggered HFS time.

The fort was overrun by demons pretty quickly, but: due to great transformation timing the weremammoths managed to kill a bunch of the demons before finally being eliminated completely by a dimetrodon demon that was rampaging around outside of the fort for a while.

The fort is also haunted.

I could have locked it out, but comically I had forgotten to link my gate to a lever.

The fort was abandoned to ruin in year 506. Rip Enjoyedlabors, I’ll see you in adventure mode.