Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Nessus posted:

Steel and dwarven courage. It may be a tragic loss that contributes to the end of dwarfkind, but the halls of our forebears must be won back!

Welp. Just sent in a squad of 30 in steel and a large percentage of legendary skills to try and rescue the prisoners from the original raid.

And 4 returned. And a lot more prisoners now.

This is definately turning into a fiasco. They've got flamedevils. Iguanademons, A couple of named demons.

Our mighty forefathers halls WILL be alive with the song and mirth of dwarfkind. But so far its mostly just the sound of miserable prisoner dwarfs.

I really wish this game had more diplomacy and geopolitical stuff. Theres a number of other dwarf halls around. This poo poo needs a multi army coalition. I just dont think this game can do that yet.....

Its possible the captain of the guard was a complete tactical idiot. More like the way these battles are simulated is at fault (My understanding is it just runs the battles serially 1v1 with foreign incursions)

edit: Fuckit, gonna savescum that one and try a different approach

duck monster fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Holy poo poo! It worked! Clasptrades (I thought it was clasp irons before, because my memory sucks) is in Dwarf hands!

Time to retire this fort and see if I can claim Clasptrades

edit: Well gently caress, occupied forts dont retire. There must be a way to claim that fortress :/

duck monster fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 24, 2023

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You can't just not tell us what the different approach was

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
As it pertains to my stockpiles, well it wasn’t the dwarves being assholes. Anyway, the offending bags of seed are now where they should be.

Let this be a lesson to me about stockpiles.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You can't just not tell us what the different approach was

I savescummed my army back, then sent the same 30 dwarves in to demand they surrender, and they did without a fight. (I've recalled half my army back so now I have 15 defenders for the fort and another 15 in training in case the displaced gobbos/etc come looking for revenge)

I wonder if theres a DFHack based way of reclaiming that fort.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Turns out Reddit IS good for something. I asked the Reddit questions thread for DF and got pointed to this.

https://docs.dfhack.org/en/stable/docs/tools/embark-tools.html

There shall be mead served my bearded brothers!

edit: gently caress, got home , went to enable it aaaaand its currently disabled in DFHack.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 25, 2023

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I think for now this page from legends viewer is about as much reward as I'm gonna get from that adventure :/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It's beautiful

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

duck monster posted:

I think for now this page from legends viewer is about as much reward as I'm gonna get from that adventure :/

The Healing Turquoise is such a perfect name, too. The bards will have plenty to sing of!

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Alright so I’ve mostly got my stockpile situation sorted out at this point. Mostly down to misconfiguration. I need to rethink my strategy there or at least give some consideration to quantum barrels because at least that solves the bulk of the problem and drives efficiencies in crafting stations.

The next problem is that I seem to have created a chain-reaction of madness / melancholy. I developed something of an infestation in one of the lower levels. I was scrolling through and thinking about what to build next when I noticed an extreme number of feral hogs had gotten into my mining area. If I had to guess there were probably about 30-50 of them.

In clearing them out it created something of a chase around the fortress which ended up with probably about 10 boars getting annihilated right in front of a dwarven child who proceeded to go completely mad, then died in a field. This caused his mother to be affected profoundly and enter a fugue state, ultimately being overcome by melancholy… which is now impacting the husband.

Anyway, I’ve prepared several sarcophagi for the inevitable, but now I’m thinking that I need a gate, or at least the dwarven equivalent of an AR-15.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

krispykremessuck posted:

Alright so I’ve mostly got my stockpile situation sorted out at this point. Mostly down to misconfiguration. I need to rethink my strategy there or at least give some consideration to quantum barrels because at least that solves the bulk of the problem and drives efficiencies in crafting stations.

The next problem is that I seem to have created a chain-reaction of madness / melancholy. I developed something of an infestation in one of the lower levels. I was scrolling through and thinking about what to build next when I noticed an extreme number of feral hogs had gotten into my mining area. If I had to guess there were probably about 30-50 of them.

In clearing them out it created something of a chase around the fortress which ended up with probably about 10 boars getting annihilated right in front of a dwarven child who proceeded to go completely mad, then died in a field. This caused his mother to be affected profoundly and enter a fugue state, ultimately being overcome by melancholy… which is now impacting the husband.

Anyway, I’ve prepared several sarcophagi for the inevitable, but now I’m thinking that I need a gate, or at least the dwarven equivalent of an AR-15.

A gate is good. Dwarves that you identify as soon to be berserk or otherwise too depressed to keep can be exiled and sent from the fort to fend for themselves (or if there's other available settlements they'll go live at one of those).

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

reignofevil posted:

A gate is good. Dwarves that you identify as soon to be berserk or otherwise too depressed to keep can be exiled and sent from the fort to fend for themselves (or if there's other available settlements they'll go live at one of those).

Well, I picked a fight with a necromancer tower instead of building a gate. Nine dwarves were sent, two returned. The seven didn’t die but they’re imprisoned. I’m working on training up their replacements in the squad to go rescue them. I also lost one of my artifacts, Treatymeals.

Anyway, I have no idea what I’m doing at all, but I’m doing it. This next sortie may seal the fate of the fortress and be an inflection point. I’m reasonably able to keep my dwarves fed and in booze, but I haven’t explored much of the rest of the systems.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Are there sports in Dwarf Fortress? I seem to recall someone saying there were procedurally generated sports but only in adventure mode. Is this true or did I completely make it up? I'm thinking blaseball-level absurdity, considering how wrestling tournaments go

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just wrestling and footraces as far as i remember

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I had a demon lord in my legends mode that was really into crossbow throwing competitions. And footraces. Ended up abandoning his demon hoard to live as a drunkard in a tavern until one day, presumably while rotten drunk, he went and picked a fight with a big eagle, a roc, and got torn limb to limb.

This game generates the best tolkien stories.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

duck monster posted:

I had a demon lord in my legends mode that was really into crossbow throwing competitions. And footraces. Ended up abandoning his demon hoard to live as a drunkard in a tavern until one day, presumably while rotten drunk, he went and picked a fight with a big eagle, a roc, and got torn limb to limb.

This game generates the best tolkien stories.

Yes, crossbow throwing was mentioned. I remember that.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I have a dwarf meditating on gambling and, oh poor fellow, I wish I could set up a whole poker room for you to run

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

this guy needs to go out to some forest and start digging a 1x1 tile and see how far he gets

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
fuckin become a for real geologist, dude. You'll have to pillage evil towers to get any money, probably, but hey enough time in the danger room with good steel armor and you'll be able to pull it off

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I mean the Cray computers guy dug holes as a way to clear him mind, it’s not the craziest thing. (It’s still crazy)

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

nah. dude just needs to go out into the woods and dig until bedrock and then start digging tunnels like those cool dudes who spend decades digging until it's stumbled upon by a normie and they need to stop

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

you can't just go out and dig a massive system of tunnels like you used to 😔

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I seem to recall some youtuber digging tunnels in his backyard and then in one video he made some sort of offhand comment about how he hasn't tried building a nuke cause he doesn't have any plutonium and the next day the NSA was at his house

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I swear that happened in one of my forts. Someone whispered to a visiting goblin poet "They'd have weapons if they could make charcoal!" and next thing I know, siege

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Can someone help me get acclimated to the new version? I get very frustrated that none of the old keybindings work (and I've put in over 3000 hours at DF, so they're kinda hardwired on me), and also I have withered plants in my farm plot, but I can't get a clear idea of how to make the growers stick to them now that I don't have Therapist any more :qq:

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

The planters work detail in the new work order is for people who are planting/harvesting plants, although by default everyone will harvest unless you specifically set it so only farmers harvest in one of the standing order tabs (can't recall which one).

One of the most difficult habits I had to break was trying to micromanage labours like I used to pre-steam wyrh dwarf therapist. The game will try to select high skill Dwarves for tasks and it usually makes good choices if you stand back and let it do its thing.

These days I usually just use two custom work details - a "waiter" who only hauls food, refuse and bodies that I give as someone's only job to make sure those are prioritised plus a "janitor" who is the only one thad is allowed clean so unarmoured Dwarves don't get killed cleaning blood in the caverns every time I accidentally open them up. I use those two plus designated planters, engravers and sometimes fishermen and leave the game prioritise the rest of the jobs itself. Once I have some high skilled smiths, masons etc I'll give them a fancy workshop to call their own and set work orders of stuff I want to be high quality to only be built at those workshops.

At risk of seeming a bit self promotey - I made a bunch of tutorial videos for DF if you have more general questions. However if linking them is frowned upon I'm happy to answer questions directly!

Tias
May 25, 2008

No I do! :justpost: them

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Tias posted:

No I do! :justpost: them

Cool! Here's the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaWpwAg2KzlrQ4Jgg03WgfmNFJNAWCHar.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Oh wow, I learned your magma trick a month ago. Thanks!

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

parthenocarpy posted:

Oh wow, I learned your magma trick a month ago. Thanks!

My magma trick is actually a little wrong it turns out! You don't need to have the bridge open when you give the dig order, so you can just build the bridge and skip all the messing about with levers.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
This game can be really fun but holy hell are there so many parts that are tedious. trying to clean up body parts after a raid that will rot and cause purple miasmas and manually checking off which need to be dumped is making me want to uninstall.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
i'm starting to think my save is actually bugged... is it normal for there to be this many teeth?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

the last signal... posted:

i'm starting to think my save is actually bugged... is it normal for there to be this many teeth?

Yes. Depending on the race of the receiving party and the weapon of the attacking party that seems to check out way before steam release. Mace-meet-face has large surface and enough power for multiple teeth on one hit.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I had a Squad of dwarves go on a Raid, but one of the dwarves was laid up in the hospital. 9 of them departed and never returned. The hospital guy is still in the hospital. I booted him from the Squad but they have not returned after a few years. Any way I can get them back or are they gone forever? I don't show any open Missions in the mission screen either, nor missing citizens.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Yooper posted:

I had a Squad of dwarves go on a Raid, but one of the dwarves was laid up in the hospital. 9 of them departed and never returned. The hospital guy is still in the hospital. I booted him from the Squad but they have not returned after a few years. Any way I can get them back or are they gone forever? I don't show any open Missions in the mission screen either, nor missing citizens.

Did you check to see if they were imprisoned?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

krispykremessuck posted:

Did you check to see if they were imprisoned?

Got it, found this in the wiki :

quote:

There is an uncommon bug where squads sent on missions will never return and be forever listed as 'traveling'. To fix this, enter your (m)ilitary screen and replace each member in the missing squad with a random civilian in your fortress, then remove those civilians from the squad and leave it empty. Next, go to your (c)ivilizations/World Info screen and cancel the mission the squad was originally sent out to do. This is possible now that the squad is technically disbanded. The former members of the squad will eventually return to the fortress after a few days (thankfully still carrying their equipment) and it will announce 'XYZ squad has returned' when they do, even though they aren't in the squad anymore. You will need to delete the old empty squad and make another, as the game still thinks they are part of the old squad and won't let you re-add them to it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If one wishes to reclaim a squad they must first uninvent the world.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

reignofevil posted:

If one wishes to reclaim a squad they must first uninvent the world.

Deep Armok thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

I seem to have all dwarves as able and permitted to do growing labours, but I still have almost my entire harvest lying around as withered refuse. Are we sure there is not more I can do?